sheahan's been dying to say this

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

stinger
Saintsational Legend

sheahan's been dying to say this

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/s ... 6053589139

"NICK Riewoldt should be the most valuable player in the AFL. He is an extraordinary athlete, brave, durable and a superb mark, be it in a pack or on the lead.

It's that package that prompted Matthew Scarlett, the best full-back in the AFL, to name Riewoldt the No.1 player in the competition in the Herald Sun a few weeks ago.

Scarlett got it wrong. Riewoldt can't be No.1 because he can't deliver when kicking for goal."

....because scarlett was saying that noddy had got it wrong for years.......
Last edited by stinger on Wed 11 May 2011 2:02pm, edited 1 time in total.

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
remboy
SS Hall of Fame

So does that mean that only forwards can be number one because we don't get to see the other players goal kicking? Should also mean that Franklin could never be number one. Pretty sure Nick's never kicked 2.9 in a game.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

If Roo has a good game, he will be calling him the best player in the game next week, the guy is a wombat

I love this club
saintlee
Club Player

Personally, I think Mike is right on the money. I love Rooey, but he can't kick. This year it is really apparent, but its been a problem for years. Rooey will never be the best player in the comp because he simply doesn't kick the important goals. Its sad for me to admit it because Rooey has been my favourate player for many years, but I am resigned to it.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

That criteria would seemingly 'cut out' quite a number of players.

Does 'kicking' only apply to kicking at goal?
What about general field kicking?

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

I propose we start a media watch-type program on Mike Sheahan. Last year I really started to take note of the many pronouncements he made during "On the Couch". By the end of the year hardly one of them had come true. It seems he goes in 6 week cycles. Makes a big call, it doesn't come true, and he simply replaces it with another one and so on. Fair dinkum, he is worse than the shittiest astrologer. Never has one with so little proven expertise, had so much influence over so many. I think if he was scrutinised with the same intensity as the players, we would soon discover the "Emperor has no clothes". Football writers must make the easiest living of all time. Very little accountability, when you consider their opinions can drastically affect the careers of those they pass judgment on.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
Moccha
Saintsational Legend

This time Sheahan is right. Riewoldt's job is to kick goals and he's not too good at it

Another opportunity awaits!
Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

It's clearly a major issue for him, and for us.

Love him or not, it's a massive problem and one that's holding him and us back.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

inside the 50
got bathed

outside the 50
dominated

pretty obvious where to play him

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:inside the 50
got bathed

outside the 50
dominated

He might be so messed up in the head re his woeful goalkicking, that subconsciously he doesn't want to get the ball close to goal!

PS - what happened to his new and improved action in the pre-season?

matrix
Saintsational Legend

god knows Member?

chf for me

ring up the g train and camp him in the goalsquare

St DAC
SS Hall of Fame

I usually regard MS as a tool whose opinion changes like the weather, but I'm struggling to see an error in his logic in this article.

Roo missed 3 goals that should have been sodas. His cousin certainly would have nailed them. Can't be No 1 with that massive a problem in your game. And frankly, his form this year isn't even top 50, let alone No 1.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

You have to wonder what demons are going thru his head!

You have to wonder what demons are going thru his head!

Obviously all the bad press about his kicking is starting to get to him as even by his standards last Monday night he had a shocker in front of goal.
Hopefully he can turn it around !

On the other point that was raised by Matthew LLOYD with ROO getting pushed under the ball too easily. I tend to agree with LLOYD it is a ploy that Geelong started against ROO in the 2009 finals which he hasn't been able to address.

Why cant he can time his run so he can push back on his opponent during the lead and then burst away when nearing the ball. This would create two things - his opponent would either give away a kick for scragging or ROO would get a clear jump at the ball without being tunnelled under it. Most backmen play ROO from behind for exactly that reason - he just needs to be a bit smarter. Get CAREY into to do some 1 on 1 with him.

Having said that ROO being released up the ground after 1/2 time allowed him to run his opponent off his feet, which prevented the above as he couldn't go with him.

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
asiu
Saintsational Legend

What about general field kicking?
about on par with everyone else.

ie ... dreadful.

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I thought his field kicking was quite good Gaz.

I think he is reluctant to take a set shot, isn't a reliable one, so why push it?

I reckon Ross has established (for now anyhow) that he is more valuable to us further up the ground.

Look at it this way, he played two quarters in the fifty, for no goals. 2 quarters up the ground for two goal assists and who knows how many score involvements.

I reckon give him a couple of weeks at it, and he will be kicking some on the run and pushing forward as his confidence improves anyhow.

St Lenny
Club Player

I think its all above the shoulders. He is believing to much of what he is told. A few years ago he could kick goals without any problems. Hes a good kick around the ground, so whats the problem. Reading and believing to much crap I think.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

St DAC wrote:I usually regard MS as a tool whose opinion changes like the weather, but I'm struggling to see an error in his logic in this article.

Roo missed 3 goals that should have been sodas. His cousin certainly would have nailed them. Can't be No 1 with that massive a problem in your game. And frankly, his form this year isn't even top 50, let alone No 1.

i never said sheahan was wrong.......only that he loved the opportunity presented to him to say scarlett was wrong....

stinger
Saintsational Legend

St Lenny wrote:I think its all above the shoulders. He is believing to much of what he is told. A few years ago he could kick goals without any problems. Hes a good kick around the ground, so whats the problem. Reading and believing to much crap I think.

probably....interestingly scott on the insiders program last night said that roo kicked 7 straight against his roos last year....so it's all in the head i believe....same as you stated above... :cry:

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

St DAC wrote:I usually regard MS as a tool whose opinion changes like the weather, but I'm struggling to see an error in his logic in this article.

It's like being a midfielder that can't run.

Or a backman that can't spoil.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

got bathed

outside the 50
dominated

agree, and use Goddard at FF imo. Get more value out of both of them that way.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
got bathed

outside the 50
dominated

agree, and use Goddard at FF imo. Get more value out of both of them that way.
Yep

Sobraz
SS Life Member

Good article, if not a little Captain Obvious...

Clearly he has a technique issue with his kicking, but fundamentally his problems lay between the ears...

He just simply cannot kick pressure goals...

Strange, as he is a clutch player... He takes the pressure marks, doesn't fumble when the heat is on, he can handle the intesity, except when he needs to stop and shoot...

The Kangaroos game last year, as mentioned earlier in the thread, is a classic example... We won by 100, it didn't matter if Roo nailed them or not, and he did... From everywhere...

This is a common occurance in games where we've dominated as a team in the past...

I like the idea of playing him further up the ground, where he gets it and goes...

He needs to back himself and play on more when he wins the ball 60-80 metres from goal, as he did in the 3rd on Monday night... Constantly playing on... He is unstopable when he plays like this...

And if all this fails, just get Sippo to stand beside him every time he's near the goals for the cheap handball... Certain conversion...

St DAC
SS Hall of Fame

Sobraz wrote:And if all this fails, just get Sippo to stand beside him every time he's near the goals for the cheap handball... Certain conversion...
No pressure on the young one-gamer of course ... :roll:

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

SainterK wrote:I thought his field kicking was quite good Gaz.

I think he is reluctant to take a set shot, isn't a reliable one, so why push it?

I reckon Ross has established (for now anyhow) that he is more valuable to us further up the ground.

Look at it this way, he played two quarters in the fifty, for no goals. 2 quarters up the ground for two goal assists and who knows how many score involvements.

I reckon give him a couple of weeks at it, and he will be kicking some on the run and pushing forward as his confidence improves anyhow.
he did slot a nice one to schneider, that would indicate he "can" kick
but over time he has missed some big goals
I have a term for it "goal fog" where the goals seem incredibly narrow, far away and shrouded in mist now matter where you are on the ground.
I have no problem with him playing up field, and over his career he has always had licence to travel well up the ground(so nothing new there). But the problem then becomes, ok Milne will do his job and get his 30+ goals for the year but we wont get 50+ goals out of kosi at FF so where are the goals going to come by in the "new attacking" style?
was a bit miffed with Lyon last night when he said "as a rule I dont coach skill errors..."
could well be the crux of a range of problems at the moment

Seeya
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

It's all technique. The reason goal kicking is a continued problem is because of the myth of 'pressure'.

Kicking btw two sticks is different to kicking to a spot. Aiming where the ball needs to be in the air compared to where it lands.

How hard is it. Give him a tape of Lockett. Everything straight, everything aligned. And holds/guides the ball all the way down.

None of this low head, high drop, rocketing the ball towards the goal crap.

Technique. Technique. Technique.