Ross Lyon On The Couch

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Elvis
Club Player

Ross Lyon On The Couch

Was all class. We must keep this guy at St.Kilda.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

and he said?

“Yeah….nah””
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

He's got a big heart
our coach..

"I love all my players"

I still remember his words after 2009 G/F

" My boys are hurting".

He is connected- yet not afraid to make hard decisions.
Thanks Ross for your belief and keeping it Simple.

the next step and the next and build it up.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

any further insights?

His thoughts on why weve won 1 game?
Can we re challenge?
Focus for rest of season - does it switch tokids? etc etc

“Yeah….nah””
DWOODROW
Club Player

Have to say I was hoping they asked him some more questions.

He did seem to be behind the boys and not sounding like he is going anywhere soon.

Seems ready to bring out the big stick with some players.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Spoke a bit about Goddard. Said that BJ needs to go back to basics and learn to relax a bit and let things flow. Don't ask me what that means. I don't know !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:Spoke a bit about Goddard. Said that BJ needs to go back to basics and learn to relax a bit and let things flow. Don't ask me what that means. I don't know !!
Agree with him. BJ is playing like he has the weight of the world on his shoulders at the moment. I can't be critical of him for it, it just means he hurts more than most,and I love him for that

Bring back the Lockett era
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:Spoke a bit about Goddard. Said that BJ needs to go back to basics and learn to relax a bit and let things flow. Don't ask me what that means. I don't know !!
I was surprised they didn't ask about the future since soe commentators insist on repeating the ' he'll walk ' theory

re BJ- Bj is an intense person and as someone- maybe you Eastern- said he is Too uptight and theyneed to relax- it would seem it's self imposed stress- unreal expectation on himself.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:
I was surprised they didn't ask about the future since soe commentators insist on repeating the ' he'll walk ' theory

re BJ- Bj is an intense person and as someone- maybe you Eastern- said he is Too uptight and theyneed to relax- it would seem it's self imposed stress- unreal expectation on himself.
Mike Sheehan is a deadsh!t flog who passes off his own opinion as fact.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

http://www.foxsports.com.au/AFL/lyon-ba ... =FoxSports

video up of some of his comments.....

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
stinger
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:

he actually said he wouldn't be leaving them....wasn't picked up on...and cut himself off saying that bj was special when asked would be consider dropping him....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

jonesy wrote:
Agree with him. BJ is playing like he has the weight of the world on his shoulders at the moment. I can't be critical of him for it, it just means he hurts more than most,and I love him for that
I think we should get off that high intensity subway diet and and get a few McHappy meals into him :wink: !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

spert
Saintsational Legend

I remember Stan Alves saying "his boys are hurting " after we lost the '97 GF. Next thing Stan got the knife the following year...that's life for AFL coaches!

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

In very difficult circumstances, the Coach is going a great job IMO.
He is clearly very close to the players and providing support and encouagement, which he should.

Perhaps a bit conservative and slow to react on game day, but we have done very well with him.

The penny has dropped and we are beginning to try younger players. Let's hope they get more game time. If we drop another couple of matches, I think that you will see changes accelerating. However, the young guys are probably not up to AFL just yet, but we need to persevere.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I loved his point that this week, he can simply remind the players how that felt...that they now have now played a good chunk of footy and a realisation that they can still do it.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Junction Oval wrote:In very difficult circumstances, the Coach is going a great job IMO.
He is clearly very close to the players and providing support and encouagement, which he should.

Perhaps a bit conservative and slow to react on game day, but we have done very well with him.

The penny has dropped and we are beginning to try younger players. Let's hope they get more game time. If we drop another couple of matches, I think that you will see changes accelerating. However, the young guys are probably not up to AFL just yet, but we need to persevere.
yep.....adversity quite often provides opportunity...if we had just scraped over the line in those 4 close losses...none of the kids would have gotten a game..imho....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

SaintPav wrote: Mike Sheehan is a deadsh!t flog who passes off his own opinion as fact.
That reminds me of someone!

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

I was kind of dreading seeing Ross on the Couch and was thinking of not even bothering to watch it, in case he trotted out a whole lot of the usual cliches, but I was watching the show having forgotten he was even going to be on there and was glad I saw his interview in the end.

I thought he was still relaxed, which is a good sign (much better than if he was showing signs of stress, or panic) and I was really glad he said the things he said.

One of the most "pleasing" things he said was in response to how we were going to win 10 of the next 16 or whatever, to make the 8. I was really glad that he said that wasn't our focus at all and that it was all about the "process" and not the results. I haven't heard that from him in a couple of years and getting back to doing that is probably the thing that will turn our season around better than anything.

Since we lost the GF to Geelong two seasons ago, I reckon the major focus of the group has been all about "redemption" and making up for that loss, by winning a GF. And I think that's why we didn't perform any where near as well during the home and away season last year (as we did the year before). The year before it seemed the focus was all about putting in "100% effort for 100% of the game" that week. We heard that week after week. They were clearly living more in the moment and focusing on the job at hand and not on winning a game that was months away, that they may or may not qualify for, which is what I get the feeling was the focus last year (maybe not intentionally, but that's how it turned out).

You're going to play much better each week if your focus is purely and simply on the job at hand then and there, not partly on what you're doing now and partly on something you hope will occur in a few months. And the better you perform from week to week, the more likely it is that you'll perform well in that big game, if you get there. (A- Because you'll be more confident and in form and B- Because whoever you're playing will be more concerned/less confident about playing you, which can give you a mental edge, before you even start).

If we get back to our focus purely being on the job at hand at that moment, whether it be the next training session, or next game, we could turn this season around in a big way and anything will be possible. We won 20 in a row in 2009 and we have mostly the same core group now and can get on a major roll again. Anything can happen. We may have lost some things since then (eg Lenny, Gardi, Bakes and co getting older, etc) but then again we also have gained some extra things as well (eg. experience, the hurt of the losses driving us, the younger ones coming on a bit better now.). If we get back to basics and play the sort of footy, with the sort of intensity, that we're capable of we can beat anyone, any time, even without Lenny.

As SainterK said, I also loved what he said about telling them to remember what it felt like during the periods when we were doing well on Monday night. That's something I've been thinking in recent weeks. If I was in charge there I'd be telling them to remember how they felt during 2009, when we were at our peak. Like what they were feeling prior to a game, what their attitude was, what their focus was, what sort of mindset they had, what their approach to the game was. And to go into this weeks game that way, with that mindset/approach/attitude. Even if others may say you don't "deserve to", on recent form. f*** that. Do what works. Do the things that worked best, until you find something even better and make no apologies. We need to stop feeling sorry for ourselves and get back to kicking ass. We can absolutely still do it. We just need to let go of the past and give everything we've got to right now again.

stairwaytoheaven
Club Player

I was rapt with the way how he spoke and supported the players that are out of form at the moment.
i did see a bit of spirit in the game on Monday night, it seemed they were focused for some time through out the game. Ross spoke of about 40% of the game where they were up and about , really need to focus on this and keep improving, also spoke of a couple of mistakes that have cost them games this year, re fish and his kick from the goal square, needed to be closer to boundry so there could be a stoppage and also blakes mistake in Geelong game.
He has a big job ahead of him, lots of different personalities to deal with i really feel he is prepared to work through this with the boys.
He spoke of the change up with Roo and it seemed to work it gave him more frredom and our forward line did not look so predictable.
He went on about supporters e-mailing him with support and encouragement on our near win effort, maybe a few more of us should do the same.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Not only emails, but he reckons texts as well! Where do we get his email address and phone number to send him emails and texts?

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:Not only emails, but he reckons texts as well! Where do we get his email address and phone number to send him emails and texts?
rossl@saints.com.au

Mobile No 04** *** ***
!!

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

He seemed to sit well, with good posture.

Saints43
Club Player

Dr Spaceman wrote:He seemed to sit well, with good posture.
He's no slouch.

QuestionOfAccuracy
Club Player

Saints43 wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:He seemed to sit well, with good posture.
He's no slouch.
There's a lot of structure to his posture.