MRP - Joey 1 game

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:Hang on a minute P66, did you see how slight the contact was? Nor was it repeated, as in what the lions did to Roo. A week for that? Good grief!
Carlton sent him on the ground, so he was fair game. Wasn't being attended by any trainers at the time

Another opportunity awaits!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Moccha wrote:
White Winmar wrote:Hang on a minute P66, did you see how slight the contact was? Nor was it repeated, as in what the lions did to Roo. A week for that? Good grief!
Carlton sent him on the ground, so he was fair game. Wasn't being attended by any trainers at the time
That was later and that is why Kosi didnt get looked at as he shouldnt have.

AdelaideSainter
Club Player

Deserved a fine and a stern warning. One match is OTT for a gentle nudge to the side. :shock:

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

What is the charge???

Was it because he was injured......if he was injured, why did doctors allow him back on.....if they couldnt determine if he was injured after examination, how could montagna determine it on the ground....

I suppose if baker can make those decisions due to his expert medical opinion, surey joey can....

Stretchered off, carried off...fair enough...

Was he even coming off????

First thing that should have happened when he came back on, is a massive bump.....

We could beat this charge with a common sense argument.....which was not applied last year.....so i dont expect the chumps working for us to do any better....

AlpineStars
Club Player

The Carlton Doctors wern't even sure if he was injured they sent him back on the ground! so how the F*** was Joey to know?

Wake me up when September ends.
Moccha
Saintsational Legend

saintdooley wrote:lost a lot of respect for joey after seeing that. what a d**khead.
Why?

It may have been a silly thing to do in light of the tribunal but what has it got to do with respect?

It's not as if he did a Lovett. That guy has no respect.

Another opportunity awaits!
InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

True Believer wrote:Watch the footage. Joey's eyes are on the ball and Curnow is standing ground zero for a stoppage. Great grounds to fight, incidental contact a second or two before the ball comes down.

I realise the AFL advocate Plunger "you guys shouldn't defend Saints players" 66 reckons all our players should be rubbed out for stupidity and that we deserve everything we get because, well, just because, but hte fact remains that the contact was minor, incidental and in the middle of a stoppage zone.
I love Joey as a player but that is a very generous reading of the incident.

Joey may not have been looking directly at Curnow but there can be no doubt he was aware of Curnow's position, body posture and line of movement. Curnow was clearly in distress, moving in a straight line and making no indication of involvement in the contest. It wasn't forceful but it was a deliberate act intended to aggravate an apparent injury.

If the club has any sense they will not contest this charge.

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
BallBanger
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
Solar wrote:Once again the AFL expect the players to be doctors. He was not in the hands of the trainers so is fair game. Disgrace!
So you had no problem with what Brisbane players did to Rooy. Joey was an idiot and should have focused more on getting clearances than bumping an obviously injured player.
Yes, i don't think joey would be too proud of that..no matter how minor

dragit
Saintsational Legend

The hysteria is unbelievable…
The idea of targeting an injured player is enough for most people…
Never mind the facts
I've uploaded it here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-Im6dM81aQ

Have a look at the timing and position, he is in the middle of a pack during a throw-in.
Montagna has just run 50 metres to make the next contest, do you really think he has a good grasp on what is wrong with Curnow?
He might not have even noticed him until he brushes past him to make position.
I honestly doubt Montagna has intended to aggravate an injured player, it was a pretty lame attempt if it was…

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:The hysteria is unbelievable…
The idea of targeting an injured player is enough for most people…
Never mind the facts
I've uploaded it here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-Im6dM81aQ

Have a look at the timing and position, he is in the middle of a pack during a throw-in.
Montagna has just run 50 metres to make the next contest, do you really think he has a good grasp on what is wrong with Curnow?
He might not have even noticed him until he brushes past him to make position.
I honestly doubt Montagna has intended to aggravate an injured player, it was a pretty lame attempt if it was…
You must be joking? Blind Freddy could see he was injured and I'm sure Joey's not blind. The only problem with Joey I have is that if he's stupid enough to do what he did, he could have at least given it a decent wack.

All those saying he shouldn't have been allowed back on if injured, all I can say is you haven't watched the game. He hadn't left the ground when Joey lost his mind.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Listening to Ross on "On The Couch" I got the feeling that the club is seriously considering challenging. Under what grounds, I wouldn't have a clue !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Yep, silly move by Joey.

Mind you, if it was that idiot Judd who had hurt his shoulder, we'd all be applauding him!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Fairly weak from Joey,although not much in it.

Fairy kind of stuff to cop 1-2 for it...then again Trengrove got 3 weeks for a legal tackle....that's what the game has turned too. Thank god for supercoach to keep the interest levels up.

Bring back the Lockett era
dragit
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:Listening to Ross on "On The Couch" I got the feeling that the club is seriously considering challenging. Under what grounds, I wouldn't have a clue !!
Maybe under the grounds that…

Curnow was in the middle of a congested pack, where players were jostling for a throw-in, he wasn't 100 metres off the ball trying to get to the bench,
&
The contact that Montagna made could not reasonably considered an attempted 'attack' on an injured player…

Curnow was in the way of the throw-in, if he was badly enough injured the umpire should not have let the ball be thrown in,

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

the staggering thing is even though the video is there to see ...
curnow was making his way off. Full stop. End of story. He was not contesting.
Montagna got 1 point for LOW IMPACT as it was low impact
he had carry over points

Seeya
PJ
SS Life Member

Are people on here seriously making judgements about Joeys intensions?

Next you'll be saying you actually know what he's like and what he was thinking at the time.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
gringo
Saintsational Legend

I think Joey knew he was hurt and sided up to him gave him a light tap to s*** him, not injure him. The point is that the media piss took Rooey as a crying bitch and put the perspective of St kilda being negligent for allowing an injured player near the Lions. It was trial by media questioning Roos bravery and now they have spun a much lighter incident around and painted Joey as hitlers reincarnation. Glen Archer and Brad Scott are now geriatric media whores trying to remove some of their bad karma by calling other players piss weak. Archer was a dog at times and played with Pickett who lined up anyone near him. As for Scott give me a break.

kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

BigMart wrote:What is the charge???

Was it because he was injured......if he was injured, why did doctors allow him back on.....if they couldnt determine if he was injured after examination, how could montagna determine it on the ground....

I suppose if baker can make those decisions due to his expert medical opinion, surey joey can....

Stretchered off, carried off...fair enough...

Was he even coming off????

First thing that should have happened when he came back on, is a massive bump.....

We could beat this charge with a common sense argument.....which was not applied last year.....so i dont expect the chumps working for us to do any better....
Do you even watch the game before commenting?

The guy was hunched over, back to the play obviously injured. Joey knows the rules and shouldn't do something stupid like that.

Furtius Quo Rdelious
stkildathunda
SS Hall of Fame

That video clearly shows that Curnow is in no way trying to compete in the contest and is heading straight to the bench... He even sees Montagna running in and tries to move out of his way but Montgana steps across and bumps him.

PJ
SS Life Member

Boring...get on with it ya bunch of big girls blouses.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

PJ wrote:Are people on here seriously making judgements about Joeys intensions?

Next you'll be saying you actually know what he's like and what he was thinking at the time.
Yeah he was thinking this is an easy target. And you're a big hero aren't you, ya big girls blouse (whatever that's supposed to mean).

PJ
SS Life Member

Yeah he was thinking this is an easy target. And you're a big hero aren't you, ya big girls blouse (whatever that's supposed to mean).
WTF are you talking about?

SaintDippa
Club Player

Can we please stop the bleating.

We all know that there's a set of rules for one group and a set for the rest (includes us). Time and time again you sit there and scratch you head thinking 'how did he get off' and others Footscray, Melbourne and Saints go for trivialities (like Joey).

Am getting sick and tired of ST.K consistently getting wacked at the tribunal and Dimetriou's favourites getting off.

The sooner we realise reality we can save ourselves from trawling through a 5 page thread.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Ok let's cut the crap.

The MRP says it's intentional.

Maybe it was reckless nit intentional. Dunno how you argue that properly.

It was body contact no doubt.

Was it strong enough force to constitute a reportable offense?

Perhaps.

BUT if the charge stays as is if we take it to the tribunal Joey will get 2 weeks.

I reckon our legal team thinks they can beat either of the 2 questionable issues I've raised. Win on either of those counts and Joey plays against the Hawks.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Take the week!