McQualter you dud!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Was Mini so bad?

Wasn't great, but I'd be nutting over some other names before I got to him.

If there is someone else knocking on the door, but the attack at the contest is part of what has been turning things around IMO.

He got a bit of the ball tonight, last year he was often the lowest disposal getter on the ground.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

wow
ross is a moron?

when did this happen??

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Was Mini so bad?

If there is someone else knocking on the door, but the attack at the contest is part of what has been turning things around IMO.

He got a bit of the ball tonight, last year he was often the lowest disposal getter on the ground.
Polo.

Mqualter was terrible, slow,poor decision making and put others under pressure with woeful disposal. He wasnt alone but lets not sugar coat it. He, along with others, wont take us fwd.Mqualter needs an extended run in the magoos - Im thinking 15 weeks or until major injuries.

“Yeah….nah””
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:

Polo.

Mqualter was terrible, slow,poor decision making and put others under pressure with woeful disposal. He wasnt alone but lets not sugar coat it. He, along with others, wont take us fwd.Mqualter needs an extended run in the magoos - Im thinking 15 weeks or until major injuries.
You just can't have 21 guns though, as nice as it would be.

Thought he has improved on last year, and I'd cut others first.

Would Polo play the same role you reckon Tef?

Perhaps, though I think he will rotate between midfield back, and hadn't thought of him as a defensive forward.

Might work.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
Teflon wrote:

Polo.

You just can't have 21 guns though, as nice as it would be.

Thought he has improved on last year, and I'd cut others first.

Would Polo play the same role you reckon Tef?

Perhaps, though I think he will rotate between midfield back, and hadn't thought of him as a defensive forward.

Might work.
So you havent named anyone youd cut?

Was Mqualters fwd pressure noticeable tonight?

We are 1 win for the year and you want to play them all?

Mqualter would not get a game at the top clubs. Thats where we want to be. To pretend otherwise is simply falling for the "players on a pedestal type stuff".

Polo may only be a slight upgrade but from reports here and at Richmond he CAN win his own ball and actually impact the game - Id bring him into the guts and use a steven/Cripps types for your defensive roles as they have the speed to be effective and close down space fast...like Jones used to do. Mqualter cant cover the ground.

“Yeah….nah””
True Blue Sainter
Club Player

Mini is a spud. Had a very solid year in 09, and played one great game last year (Against the cats @ the G in the H&A).

Other than that has been largely ineffective. Would be ok if he'd been getting the odd goal, or even just sticking some tackles, laying some smothers (applying forward pressure). But he's barely been doing that!

The Saints are coming!
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Can if you like.

As I said elsewhere, I believe we have played Jason while we have been unsure about our ruck situation. Kosi in then out, tonight perhaps caution given we were unsure how the big guy would go.

Now with the benefit of seeing the ruck combo of Ben and Kosi, and the fact he appears to have been the first out last time.

I'd expect Lynch to debut next week for Blake.

I'd also omit Raph, and play Winmar as the sub.

If Ray is well enough, he comes in for Baker.

python
Club Player

McQualter... Raph... they just aren't up to it. How many chances do they get to prove themselves? Too many errors at crucial times, Raph's dropped mark was an absolute killer, we had the momentum, were full of run and were scoring, and it turned the game around. McQualter doesn't get it enough or do enough with the ball to warrant constant selection

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Another pathetic thread. God knows what will happen with some morons on here over the next 5 years. Soft as friggin butter.

I Love Peter Kiel
Club Player

What...so you are all blaming McQualter for daring to get picked? the guy's trying his guts out, as is Raph, as is Blakey, as is Bakes. If we'd won tonight as we should have you wouldn't be saying it.

FFS Ross is blooding new players.
Isn't Siposs good enough.

I could only get to the last quarter because of work commitments but i was really happy with what I saw...we were all over the Blues. Milne was hit in the head from behind and didn't get a free. Then seconds later carlton got a free for a much weaker hit.
hate to sound like the super sook Mooney, but the umpire cost us the game!

In honour of those who went before, in the dark and desperate years.
defacto
Club Player

anyone know of another player in the afl with the same physique? interested to see what position/role they play

SinCitySaint
Club Player

The problem with Mini is he does not demand an opponent. His role is to be a defensive forward which I thought meant shutting down the most dangerous rebounding defenders and keeping the ball in the forward 50. However he does not do this he just seems to be there to take up space in the forward line and midfield. He is incapable of hurting the opposition and they know it so they don't pay him any attention. This simply frees up one of the oppositions defenders to roam free across half back helping out against Roo and rebounding quickly.

westy
Club Player

So many f****** experts and no supporters.

I'm livin' in a madhouse
NoMore
Club Player

SinCitySaint wrote:The problem with Mini is he does not demand an opponent. His role is to be a defensive forward which I thought meant shutting down the most dangerous rebounding defenders and keeping the ball in the forward 50. However he does not do this he just seems to be there to take up space in the forward line and midfield. He is incapable of hurting the opposition and they know it so they don't pay him any attention. This simply frees up one of the oppositions defenders to roam free across half back helping out against Roo and rebounding quickly.
+1

Exactly right