Will soft supporters stick with our club

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SaintWal
Club Player

I think we would have a solid core of around 22k to 25k the rest will migrate as they please.

There is more incentive in being a member these days IMO. The old days you could just rock up and barge your way to a good standing position, these days you will end up on the back rows of level 3 at the dome or 4 at the G.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote: Been a member since 1977. I put in and i hope you will too.
plugger66 is my hero.
Not full of himself at all!
Been eating a bit much of the F.I.G.J.A.M., I thinks.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Man, if they walk away when we are rank, then they aren't a real St Kilda supporter are they? I've lived through the pain, and as I get older its getting harder to cop, but its all part of it, its in the blood. Most supporters who jump ship, probably only came on board since we've been winning games anyway.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
jonesy
Saintsational Legend

We will need to keep on giving in this one way relationship as usual

Bring back the Lockett era
wallbanger
Club Player

Have been a member since 1976 and will always be, regardless of how the side plays or where they are on the ladder. That is what being a supporter is all about surely? It's like a marriage...good times and bad. We've had our fair share of good times the last decade, and VERY unlucky not to take home two or more flags. Time to stick fat and perservere until the good times come around again.

Please...let's win a Premiership before GEELONG!!!! (O.k., so we've missed that opportunity...maybe let's win the next one before Geelong????)
patto
Club Player

35 year born and bred Saints supporter here... My dad, mum, 3 brothers all saints... I converted my gf of 10 years from the Hawks to Saints... And just joined up my 20 month old little boy to the Cherub club 2 weeks ago... Im not goin anywhere... Ever!!!!

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

SORRY matrix me old pal! Won't be dropping me SC anytime soon :lol: I'll be dropping off the reserved seat though! AND the Age Subscription, and (probably) Cheer squad :lol: :cry: Costs are getting to be something to consider now as an age pensioner :wink: :roll:

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:SORRY matrix me old pal! Won't be dropping me SC anytime soon :lol: I'll be dropping off the reserved seat though! AND the Age Subscription, and (probably) Cheer squad :lol: :cry: Costs are getting to be something to consider now as an age pensioner :wink: :roll:
yeah, the cost of upgrading your membership can really add up. nevertheless, we seem to have a pretty sweet deal in terms of the affordability of club memberships, particularly if you were to compare the costs to getting season tickets at goodison park, am i right?

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

Re: Will soft supporters stick with our club

SaintPav wrote:
plugger66 wrote:After reading the crap written on here in the last 2 days I really worry about our club. Hopefully some on here dont represent our supporter base because by the sounds of it we will struggle for any young support in the next 5 years whilst we rebuild.....
True. But some of the comments here are not from St Kilda supporters but from trolls. It's pretty obvious IMO.
Yep they only post on these boards when there's a loss - :shock:

Member since 1987.........
Last edited by MCG-Unit on Sun 01 May 2011 10:00pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stand your ground :shock:
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

jonesy wrote:We will need to keep on giving in this one way relationship as usual
Yep.

Continuous member since 1973. My membership, match attendance and football expenditure has never been influenced by the level of success of the club.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

This place is a haven for believers compared to Facebook trust me

Over there they already want to play seven new kids next week and get GT back as coach :roll:

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

No comparison between the costs of season tix @ Goodison mate :roll: I could NEVER afford one!!!!! (not with a family to support too!)
I'm going to maintain my membership and social club status but the extras will be going.

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
stinger
Saintsational Legend

there are one or two posters on here that i'm betting are fair weather supporters...we can do without them....imho...that is... :wink:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:there are one or two posters on here that i'm betting are fair weather supporters...we can do without them....imho...that is... :wink:
and who would they be, sting? ...oh dear, i'll probably spark a donnybrook in dropping this question :lol:

St Lenny
Club Player

Was talking to someone last night who had last years membership scarf on and I asked why he wasnt wearing this years. He said a scarf didnt come with the type of membership he had!!!!!!!!!! I told him that was bull that you get a scarf with all memberships. Long story, but turns out his son has turned 18 so had to pay for an adult membership. He didnt want to pay it, so gave up his and two kids memberships. Pathetic :roll:

noblejohn
Club Player

St Lenny wrote:Was talking to someone last night who had last years membership scarf on and I asked why he wasnt wearing this years. He said a scarf didnt come with the type of membership he had!!!!!!!!!! I told him that was bull that you get a scarf with all memberships. Long story, but turns out his son has turned 18 so had to pay for an adult membership. He didnt want to pay it, so gave up his and two kids memberships. Pathetic :roll:
Why pathetic
Maybe he just couldn't afford it

The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

This is a little bump compared to the disaster that was the 1980s, where I went to nearly every game.

If I didn't give them away then, I'm stuck with them for life ... for better or worse.

With 17 teams in it you don't expect to be playing off for a flag every year.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote:
stinger wrote:there are one or two posters on here that i'm betting are fair weather supporters...we can do without them....imho...that is... :wink:
and who would they be, sting? ...oh dear, i'll probably spark a donnybrook in dropping this question :lol:

you know, i know...they know....'nough said..... :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

...no donnybrook......i don't respond to their abuse these days.... :twisted:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

noblejohn wrote:
St Lenny wrote:Was talking to someone last night who had last years membership scarf on and I asked why he wasnt wearing this years. He said a scarf didnt come with the type of membership he had!!!!!!!!!! I told him that was bull that you get a scarf with all memberships. Long story, but turns out his son has turned 18 so had to pay for an adult membership. He didnt want to pay it, so gave up his and two kids memberships. Pathetic :roll:
Why pathetic
Maybe he just couldn't afford it
i'm with you, noblejohn.

spare a thought for those who have to buy memberships for not only themselves, but their family/children as well. very harsh words, st.lenny.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Re: Will soft supporters stick with our club

plugger66 wrote:After reading the crap written on here in the last 2 days I really worry about our club. Hopefully some on here dont represent our supporter base because by the sounds of it we will struggle for any young support in the next 5 years whilst we rebuild.

Dont be soft and stick by the club otherwise we are stuffed financially and then it is really over.
with tv rights we should be ok next 5 years. but yeah. 5-10 years will be tough if we dont stick tight and manage things smartly.

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

A strong membership base gives us financial security, financial security attracts good players and keeps good players, especially with free agency coming in.
Financial security brings good coaches and good assistant coaches.
All these things mean that when a team goes down, they are only down for a short period time.
In 1973 we played finals, we had to wait till 1991 for our next final, 6 years later we we're in a Grand Final, 12 years later we made two Grand Finals in a row.
Smart clubs keep reinventing themselves and giving them opportunities.
Look at Geelong, they finally broke through 4 years ago, and are still chasing more because they enjoyed winning it so much.
If we had played anyone other than Geelong in 2009, we would have won easily, unfortunately we met a team that was annoyed at themselves for losing 2008, that they we're determined to rectify it.
We have to have that attitude from now on.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
matrix
Saintsational Legend

membership is everything
keeping members happy....keeps members

NOT SENDING ANYONE UP, AND I MEAN NO ONE, TO THE AFTER MATCH FUNCTION IN ADELAIDE AT AAMI IS A DISGRACE!!!!

i understand there was a lose
i understand the team got a bollocking
but send SOMEONE up ffs.

couldve sent the ceo up, the bloke who collects the footys after training
Siposs and Winmar were over apparently, they couldve came up and we could of asked them about sandy and how they are going etc

there was a couple of youngsters up there and i bet they were disappointed
the turn out wasnt the greatest, maybe what 30 of us? but still
i drove 75 kms to get to the game and paid for tickets
you sent me an email stating there would be reps and players from the club at the after match function

youre full of s***, just because of a loss
pathetic
lets email the club, yes lets...so they can do F*** all
the port game come round 16 better have decent treatment of your interstate members st kilda

rant over

spert
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:membership is everything

NOT SENDING ANYONE UP, AND I MEAN NO ONE, TO THE AFTER MATCH FUNCTION IN ADELAIDE AT AAMI IS A DISGRACE!!!!

but send SOMEONE up ffs.

Siposs and Winmar were over apparently, they couldve came up and we could of asked them about sandy and how they are going etc

you sent me an email stating there would be reps and players from the club at the after match function

pathetic
the port game come round 16 better have decent treatment of your interstate members st kilda

rant over
Did the SA members officially ask the club leading up to the game, to send someone along- even though they said someone would be present?? If you did, and no one turned up it is unacceptable and the club must value its members no matter where.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:membership is everything

but send SOMEONE up ffs.

pathetic

rant over
disgrace!

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
Moccha
Saintsational Legend

What's the definition of soft supporters. People who don't buy memberships but support or members that like venting on Saintsational?

Are supporters any different at any other club?

Another opportunity awaits!