To the Zac Bashers- here, there and everywhere

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

To the Zac Bashers- here, there and everywhere

One poor game does not mean that a player should be dropped.

Zac Dawson is not the reason for world hunger, AIDS, war, Australia's Ashes' debacle, the death of Princess Diana or the 1913 Grand Final defeat.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
kalsaint
Club Player

Re: To the Zac Bashers- here, there and everywhere

dcstkfc wrote:One poor game does not mean that a player should be dropped.

Zac Dawson is not the reason for world hunger, AIDS, war, Australia's Ashes' debacle, the death of Princess Diana or the 1913 Grand Final defeat.
No but the tribunal might disagree.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
battye
Saintsational Legend

Dawson is okay. He got towelled up tonight but at the end of the day he is not a bad full back and I think he will be an important player for us moving forward.

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
felixleo
Club Player

It's all his fault he invaded Poland. Shh don't mention the war.
Seriously, this is a guy that was playing so well he kept Max out of the side. But now the ball is coming out quicker (how many times did they kick over our heads last line of defence tonight) he can be found out. Not a great kick to position, seemingly slow of thought, can take a grab maybe throw him up forward, does seem to have a degree of nastiness which i like.

Are you gonna be the one?
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Do I dare mention his impressive form in the first month of the season...

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
AdelaideSainter
Club Player

Was far too loose on Tippett early on. Couldn't believe the room he was giving him.

BallBanger
Club Player

Dawson is a dud and only gets a game because of his height.....

Has no weapons and gives us nothing...wish he played for the opposition every week...he gets totally lost and we must not rely on him going forward....must develop simkin/walsh and if they are not up to it than we will be no worse off...

saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

battye wrote:Dawson is okay. He got towelled up tonight but at the end of the day he is not a bad full back and I think he will be an important player for us moving forward.
LOL

"Another storied win in Robert Harvey's career. They say he is the embodiment of their motto of strength through loyalty, and on the day he became just the tenth man to play 350 league games the saints reward him with a seemingly impossible victory."
westy
Club Player

Zac is not a whole lot different to just about every other player in the team. Lacking in confidence and I would have thought that a coach's job is to restore that confidence.

I'm livin' in a madhouse
gringo
Saintsational Legend

All full backs get bags kicked on them. Max was absolutely smashed a few times. lake has had bad days, Scarlett etc. we need the mids to stop quick release from the centre. Our lack of hit outs and first use of the ball is the cause for our defective backline. It comes in so quick we can't set a zone. Guys like Fisher make it look better than it is because they make a contest. Zac needs to watch the ball coming in instead of watching his man, but he is a very good FB.

BallBanger
Club Player

gringo wrote:All full backs get bags kicked on them. Max was absolutely smashed a few times. lake has had bad days, Scarlett etc. we need the mids to stop quick release from the centre. Our lack of hit outs and first use of the ball is the cause for our defective backline. It comes in so quick we can't set a zone. Guys like Fisher make it look better than it is because they make a contest. Zac needs to watch the ball coming in instead of watching his man, but he is a very good FB.
Max was onlt ever smashed twice and one of them was agaist lloyd when max was coming back from long term injury...disgrace how zac was played before him...
Max would be a good assistant coach for us (collingwood experience) but not sure he would come back after his treatment by our coach...
Have a look at all the other full back that play on rooey, they wear him like a glove unlike zac whio does not have the ability to play close. would get beaten every time one on one..need to get a run up then miss judges the ball but most impoortantly loses his player and the **** ball.
He has everything but footy talent/brain

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

No doubt Zac has slipped back, but so have most of our backline.

I think that is a combination of the ball coming down more often and much more quickly.

Like many others, he needs to improve, but is far from being thrown out, unless there is someone at Sandy who can take his place (Lynch?).

What amazes me, is how can someone get to AFL today, without being able to kick with both feet (he is hopeless on his right foot)! We seem to go out of our way to recruit these type (Jones, Gilbert, Blake, Baker).

georgie girl
Club Player

Zac certainly has a very tough act to follow - Max never gave much away even on a bad day.
Zac has had a few good games but for me the frustrating part is the number of times he watches the player and has no idea where the ball is. Not sure if experience will eradicate these types of errors from his game. Not sure it is a skill that can be 'learnt'!

noob
Club Player

reason he watches his man is because he is never close to his opponent. Should have an arm on the opposition player at all times. That's why max was good because the forward led him to the ball.

spert
Saintsational Legend

BallBanger wrote:Dawson is a dud and only gets a game because of his height.....

Has no weapons and gives us nothing...wish he played for the opposition every week...he gets totally lost and we must not rely on him going forward....must develop simkin/walsh and if they are not up to it than we will be no worse off...
Have a look at the GFs last year, and tell me who was and wasn't having a crack- Zac showed a lot of guts, intensity and footy smarts compared to a few of his more highly fancied teammates. He is raw, but will improve with age and be a valuable back for us.

To the top
SS Life Member

Simply, he guards a space.

That is why his history is sticking out a hand as the ball goes past him to his opponent.

He is 195cm and shown as 95kg (wringing wet?) but in contested ball situations hangs out the back waiting for the panic backwards handball - then promptly gets wrapped up because his disposal is slow and ordinary and only on one side of his body.

He is not the frenetic nose over the ball type you need in defence - and he can not play in attack because he is not a good enough footballer.

The other options are the learning Walsh, which would be a big risk, and Johnson.

Simpkin seems more suited to the outer line of defence aka Maguire.

Lynch's performance today will be of interest.

The benefit of Maguire was that he could arch the back and take off roosting the ball 60m into attack pre injury.

We do not have anyone who can do that now - so Maguire's injury run crippled him and us.

The only run from defence is by Gram and Gilbert because neither Gwilt nor Fisher are running backs - excellent disposers but they do not arch the back and take off.

Why Clarke was dropped is beyond me because he does give rebound.

Gilbert has to be persevered with because he also has rebounding qualities - and he, like Clarke, puts his nose over the ball.

Then we have the problem of everyone being back in desperation so there are no forward options for the rebounds!

Only Riewoldt out-numbered 3 or 4 to 1.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

He has also relied heavily on jason blake....being third up.....

Jason has been elsewhere........zac has been shown up under the high ball