Jackson Darling

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
stinger wrote:
busso mick wrote:
BigMart wrote:

We were warned that lovett was a lazy, undisciplined problem prior to drafting him....on and off field...
Who warned us about Lovett? Obviously not the 10 people who gave him a reference to the Saints. I remember he had an issue with his ex-girlfriend after the sledge from Roo in a game, but do you really believe we didn't do our homework before drafting him?

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/l ... -o6le.html
well...i knew he was an absolute arsehole...so i'm sure the saints also knew.....can't have been that ignorant really...you just said roo knew....
Carey was an arsehole too but could play footy.

And Plugger (not p66) had a few character flaws as well.

Was it common knowledge that a bloke thrown a lifeline would turn up late for training and run last in a time trial etc?

i've actually met the real plugger a couple of times....even sat next to him at a dinner one day.....a very nice polite young man was my verdict......sure he once threw a crutch at eddie bighead...just a pity he missed .... :twisted:

tell you something else too...one of the best three footballers i have ever seen.......

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
wasaintsfan
Club Player

gardiner is/was involved with the perth underground... thats a known fact
trashed his career and ute at west coast.. thats a known fact

did we give him a chance? yes we did....

according to the bulldogs ray was useless... lazy etc...
did we give him a chance? yes...for the most part hes been great with us

krouker went to prison over assault.... was he given another chance? yes

you can crap on all you want about lovett and how he didnt deserve a chance
but fact is people get chances everyday... and to an extent so they should...

if milne wasnt given another chance by lyon after thomas tried to get rid of him... well last year.. we wouldnt have even made top 4

richmond wouldnt have got cousins... who did alot for them on and off the field

the deal with lovett couldve landed us a flag.... wouldve added another gear for a quick goal here and there.. but it didnt...

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Re: Jackson Darling

BigMart wrote: These sliders always seem to pan out.....
angwin

wasoncestkil58
Club Player

Unfortunately I think Football teams sometimes think like politicians and try to be politically correct. Instead they should look at football ability first. Some aren't always the best person but s*** some of them are great footballers. I won't name them becauce I might not be PC.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

wasoncestkil58 wrote:Unfortunately I think Football teams sometimes think like politicians and try to be politically correct. Instead they should look at football ability first. Some aren't always the best person but s*** some of them are great footballers. I won't name them becauce I might not be PC.
you are dead right all the same....

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:
stinger wrote:
busso mick wrote:
BigMart wrote:

We were warned that lovett was a lazy, undisciplined problem prior to drafting him....on and off field...
Who warned us about Lovett? Obviously not the 10 people who gave him a reference to the Saints. I remember he had an issue with his ex-girlfriend after the sledge from Roo in a game, but do you really believe we didn't do our homework before drafting him?

well...i knew he was an absolute arsehole...so i'm sure the saints also knew.....can't have been that ignorant really...you just said roo knew....

Was it common knowledge that a bloke thrown a lifeline would turn up late for training and run last in a time trial etc?

i've actually met the real plugger a couple of times....even sat next to him at a dinner one day.....a very nice polite young man was my verdict......sure he once threw a crutch at eddie bighead...just a pity he missed .... :twisted:

tell you something else too...one of the best three footballers i have ever seen.......
Agree Plugger was one of the greatest players to wear our jumper.

BUT, if Dempster, or Mini, or Jones, or Eddy threw a punch at our C.E.O. how many on here would be criticising the club's decision to sack them?

Football ability is everything and if Lovett had've knuckled down and helped us to a flag 99.99% of our supporters wouldn't have given a rat's toss bag about him being an arsehole!

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
stinger wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:
stinger wrote:
busso mick wrote:
BigMart wrote:

BUT, if Dempster, or Mini, or Jones, or Eddy threw a punch at our C.E.O. how many on here would be criticising the club's decision to sack them?

Football ability is everything and if Lovett had've knuckled down and helped us to a flag 99.99% of our supporters wouldn't have given a rat's toss bag about him being an arsehole!

maybe the ceo at the time was an arsehole.........can't remember.who it was..maybe it was just an old wife's tale

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:
stinger wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:
stinger wrote:
busso mick wrote:
BigMart wrote:

maybe the ceo at the time was an arsehole.........can't remember.who it was..maybe it was just an old wife's tale
It was Ricky Watts. Ex Collingwood player so may have been arsehole at that :wink:

But no wife's tale - I was there on the night at the same Social Club bar!

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

Re: Jackson Darling

ausfatcat wrote:
BigMart wrote: These sliders always seem to pan out.....
angwin
How the heck was Angwin a 'slider' - wasn't he taken at 4 :shock:

Sliders are expected to be taken quite high, and for whatever reason go down the order

Darling, Atley, Andrew Swallow (44), Scott Selwood

No Contract, No contact :shock:
stinger
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote: It was Ricky Watts. Ex Collingwood player so may have been arsehole at that :wink:

But no wife's tale - I was there on the night at the same Social Club bar!
yeah...i originally posted that i thought he was an ex filth player.....the name max pitt came to mind...didn't think that was right..so edited the comment out...

really..you can't blame plugger for belting an ex filth player now can you......

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

Dr Spaceman wrote:Some people say we shouldn't have taken Lovett because he had "issues".

Some people say we should have taken Darling even though he had "issues".

Some people say Collingwood can do no wrong even though they picked up Krakouer who had "issues".
:?
Shivers, bit hard to compare AL and Darling, for a start there's about a 10 year age gap - AL was damn old enough to know better - and I reckon a world of difference in the off field, on field stuff

Anyway Jack Darling discussed here, pages 3-4
http://www.saintsational.com/forum/view ... c&start=50
Last edited by MCG-Unit on Fri 29 Apr 2011 11:55pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

MCG-Unit wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:Some people say we shouldn't have taken Lovett because he had "issues".

Some people say Collingwood can do no wrong even though they picked up Krakouer who had "issues".
Shivers, bit hard to compare AL and Darling, for a start there's about a 10 year age gap - AL was damn old enough to know better - and I reckon a world of difference in the off field, on field stuff
True.

But we got burnt with Lovett and obviously saw the need to be careful about blowing another first round pick.

IF we had picked Darling and IF he had've had problems this forum would have gone into meltdown. And the hindsighters would've been starting threads about "why didn't we draft that Cripps kid?"

Time will tell. If Cripps lives up to his potential, and someone like Johnson makes the grade as a marking forward, I won't really give a stuff about Darling.

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

Yep guess they wanted a no risks draft strategy - with any luck their 2 other 2010 WA recruits may come good
Last edited by MCG-Unit on Sat 30 Apr 2011 12:03am, edited 1 time in total.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Still dont get it.....ffs

Judging someone on their football attitude and persoanility are two different things....

Aker....absolute pro....wrt to playing...tool as a person
Ben.....over the top professional......bad boy
Gardiner.....nothing wrong with his footy attitude, great athlete
Franklin.....like gardiner, awesome athlete
Gehrig....his attitude towards his preparation and footy underrated

Fevola......tool off tje ground, lazy trainer, immature and undisciplined onfield
Lovett......turned up to training hungover many times, would not follow team rules....well known....and due diligence was not followed in recruiting him
Lawrence.....as above
Angwin......a low human, that avoided training or turned up peaking

I reckon darling will end up a gun....and thats an ealy call...but a boy charging around the ground taking big grabs, and dominating......he has debuted better than jono brown......now doubtful he will get to that level....but if i were and eagle fan......id be happy to have him....

He has been a gun at every level he has played ....... Will continue

Angwin did NOT slide.....pick 7 200 draft....not a slide imo....

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Darling could be a gun or he could drop away who knows. Rich looked a gun in his first season, now where is he. We waited for 7 years or so for the X man. The Dees might find that Jack Watts is the next B. Goddard, slowly building to elite, but he might be playing at another club like Tambling. No one thought Sam Fisher or Simon Black were going to make it both were over the 40s from memory. It is pot luck.

kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

Raph Clarke was a slider.

Furtius Quo Rdelious
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:

He has been a gun at every level he has played ....... Will continue.
According to most in the know your "Darling" had an absolute shocking season last year ... was hopeless apparently

Maybe he colluded with West Coast to orchestrate a draft slide .. who knows

Either way ..... blah blah blah blah blah ..... who gives a stuff .... he aint a Saint ... CRIPPS IS

The way you go on and on and on it is if the Saints were the only team that overlooked him ..... well guess what .......

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
stkildathunda
SS Hall of Fame

Dr Spaceman wrote:
MCG-Unit wrote:

True.

But we got burnt with Lovett and obviously saw the need to be careful about blowing another first round pick.

IF we had picked Darling and IF he had've had problems this forum would have gone into meltdown. And the hindsighters would've been starting threads about "why didn't we draft that Cripps kid?"

Time will tell. If Cripps lives up to his potential, and someone like Johnson makes the grade as a marking forward, I won't really give a stuff about Darling.
Wasnt Cripps expected to go top 15 aswell? So they were both sliders in the draft and the club probably had to flip a coin and pick what we needed more..

Pace = Cripps
Quality forward = Darling

and well cos the Saints selectors have so much ridiculous faith that Kosi is the white knight to save us they obviously decided to inject more pace..

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead did you read the first line of the first post in the thread......you cant have....

It was a g at all recruiters.....the fact he fell to 26 is an indictment on the current process.....

A boy his size and football + athletic ability falling that far is silly...

I hope young cripps ends up a player.....

I can safely say darling will be a player......

Issue is, gun big men are harder to come by, when you get one you...you can build a team around a

Pavlich.....who darling reminds me of
Brown
Riewoldt
Tredrea
Carey
Franklin
Hurley
Kernahan
Hall

They are very important....6'4" player who can move well

noob
Club Player

Think in the next draft I'd be looking at forwards and a ruckman

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

noob wrote:Think in the next draft I'd be looking at forwards and a ruckman
probably wont be any or only a few with questionable skills and we are already well stocked with those...

The list changes for 2025 have begun, always an interesting time for an avid supporter.
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Does this at all take into account the fact that this Darling kid may have an extensive support network in WA that would be lacking in other parts of the country.

Could it be that considering he is at home, he has a better chance to straighten his life out?

A kid, completely off track, getting expelled, getting his head cracked apart in street brawls, is transported 3000 klms away from any support in family and friends and familiarity to say Melbourne. knowing what the recruiters would definately know about him, his mental state at such a time in his development may have been just too much of a risk.

Probably the only two team that could have drafted him (if my scenario is correcy) would be WCE and Freo.

I would suspect this was a large part in recruiters thinking. 18 y.o.s aren't robots and troubled 18 y.o.'s are even less inclined to fit in.

Being drafted by Brisbane probably cost Des Headland any chance of being a star footballer. He was emotionally shattered by being dragged away from his family and he really never developed into the player he should have after that. Servicable, yes, premiership player (on the back of the great Lions team), but never what he could have been.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:
Only real question to ask.........
How hard do they train.......
So we should never have played Plugga then?

Recruiting is a complex task.....and rare is the talent to be exceptional at it. I certainly do not have the knack. unfortunately our recent recruiters have not have had the knack and Bevo good in his day stayed well past the day when gut feel recruiting was good enough.

However one would tend to agree that our drafting of kids has been pretty underwhelming for a long time.

However this year batch looks pretty good.

Darling is clearly a case of most recruiters getting it wrong..badly so. Interesting to note that Buddy, another big bad boy forward was allowed to slip as well for similar reasons.....and I am sure now similar regrets.

The Saints picked of course their own bad boy CHF in Hall...but those at the club then could not handle him....which also goes to show that it is not just the pick you need to get right....but the human relations side as well.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....