Dawson- a major worry for me

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

matrix
Saintsational Legend

once again top two in 1%ers with 11

had 7 contested possies and a disposal eff of 94%

laid 2 tackles
i thought he did ok
zac is solid for us i reckon

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I dont rate Dawson either. Maybe because I can remember what a good fullback plays like. "Good onya Verdun"

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Zac's been very solid in a backline that has been under enormous pressure recently. Many would wilt and panic.

We have bigger problems up forward to be concerned about. Thank goodness for a good game from Schneider last night - must have practiced his goal kicking during the week :!:

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:I dont rate Dawson either. Maybe because I can remember what a good fullback plays like. "Good onya Verdun"
Think Verdun's retired barry :wink:

Zac's doing pretty well in the modern game IMO.

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

Dawson has been fantastic for mine. Really becoming a force. Beat Leuenberger in mind as well as body on Thrusday night.

Full back is one of the few places I'm NOT worrying about ATM.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
wallbanger
Club Player

Firstly let me say I think Dawson has been very good down back this year, following on from last season. He is very solid on the spoil and is rarely beaten in a one on one contest, somewhat surprsingly.

However, I agree that his physical presence in terms of tackling and crunching opposition forwards is almost non-existent now, and, like Gram, is laughable at times. There are occasions when he just seems to run past guys and half-heartedly throws his arms out in what appears to be a pathetic attempt to grab them without even giving a toss. He does have this physical side to his game - he has shown it at times before - but it just seems to have disappeared at the moment, which is a concern.

I recall the G-train copping criticism for looking lazy and half-hearted at times too...perhaps we are being a bit harsh and he is one of those plays that just gives off that appearance somehow?

Either way, I think if he brought a bit of that mongrel back into his game he would be right up there with the better full-backs going around at the moment.

Please...let's win a Premiership before GEELONG!!!! (O.k., so we've missed that opportunity...maybe let's win the next one before Geelong????)
spert
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Gram.....how would you go having to accept a shortfront from the big sauce....grammy did one weak act, many times he took his turn

Gram played pretty well again....infact i reckon he would be top 6 in our b&f atm......which aint saying a lot i suppose
Gram is one of our better contributors this season..the captain should get his act together as should Gilbert

Moods
Saintsational Legend

wallbanger wrote:
I recall the G-train copping criticism for looking lazy and half-hearted at times too...perhaps we are being a bit harsh and he is one of those plays that just gives off that appearance somehow?
That's because the G-Train was as soft as butter. Looked tough and could snarl and push and shove, but was a woeful tackler and hardly ever provided a good contest in a pack situation bringing the ball to ground, which I believe was b/c he was afraid to commit his body. Was lightening quick and agile for a big fella. Also not bad in a purely one on one situation, but had many weaknesses to his game that often appeared to get overlooked.

Zac's tackling needs to get fiercer for sure I reckon. Some blokes tackle because well, they have to. Other's tackle b/c they love it and tackle with real conviction. That effort highlighted on Ch 7 in the first quarter was cringe worthy. I would rather he gave away a free kick by being over zealous than run past his opponent and put half an arm out that flops when it makes contact with the opposition. Maybe we're all used to Max who looked like he would rather die than allow his opponent to get an easy kick? Max didn't have Zac's skill but even when beaten he looked like he was busting his arse. I'm sure Zac is as well, but they both have different personalities, and Zac sometimes gives the impression it's all a bit hard and he doesn't care as much. Like I said, I doubt that is the case, but that is what we've all become used to I reckon.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman, what are you on about, Verdun retired? Next you will be telling me Rossy Smith has too, when I saw him still in No.3 on Thursday night, (although he looks like he has had a hair transplant job).

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:Dr Spaceman, what are you on about, Verdun retired? Next you will be telling me Rossy Smith has too, when I saw him still in No.3 on Thursday night, (although he looks like he has had a hair transplant job).
:D

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

I've accepted that Dawson won't be our new Max. He is and will continue to be a solid full-back, 200 gamer, but I doubt he'll ever be regarded as one of the premier defenders.

He'll still improve. I don't think we've seen his best. As for last Thursday, he was okay, but probably would have been easily beaten by Leuenburger if the ball had been dry.

Bad management is bad management
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

SydneySainter wrote:I've accepted that Dawson won't be our new Max. He is and will continue to be a solid full-back, 200 gamer, but I doubt he'll ever be regarded as one of the premier defenders.

He'll still improve. I don't think we've seen his best. As for last Thursday, he was okay, but probably would have been easily beaten by Leuenburger if the ball had been dry.
Dawson is still "relatively" inexperienced but does a solid job and has performed on the big stage.

If he is a problem then it's a problem that a few of our rivals would love to have.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Dawson (and Gram for that matter) are the least of our worries right now.

Current Model Zac Dawson would get a regular game at every single club in the AFL right now. I can probably only say that about 6-8 of our players on current form. I'll leave it at that.

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

Moods wrote:
wallbanger wrote:
That's because the G-Train was as soft as butter. Looked tough and could snarl and push and shove, but was a woeful tackler and hardly ever provided a good contest in a pack situation bringing the ball to ground, which I believe was b/c he was afraid to commit his body. Was lightening quick and agile for a big fella. Also not bad in a purely one on one situation, but had many weaknesses to his game that often appeared to get overlooked.

Zac's tackling needs to get fiercer for sure I reckon. Some blokes tackle because well, they have to. Other's tackle b/c they love it and tackle with real conviction. That effort highlighted on Ch 7 in the first quarter was cringe worthy. I would rather he gave away a free kick by being over zealous than run past his opponent and put half an arm out that flops when it makes contact with the opposition. Maybe we're all used to Max who looked like he would rather die than allow his opponent to get an easy kick? Max didn't have Zac's skill but even when beaten he looked like he was busting his arse. I'm sure Zac is as well, but they both have different personalities, and Zac sometimes gives the impression it's all a bit hard and he doesn't care as much. Like I said, I doubt that is the case, but that is what we've all become used to I reckon.
Is this a TV thing? I ask because if there's one thing that's become pretty clear to me about Dawson it's that he's an emotional unit.

Before every game, he's getting into his opponent, he can't wait to line someone up for a bump, he loves to let the opposition know when they've messed up. When you see the scrums in our defensive line before the opening bounce, it's often Dawson who's started it.

It's a different kind of intensity to Max, who wanted to blanket his opponent. Zac want to win the contest, run off, get a touch, then run back and let the guy know about it.

The suggestion that Dawson doens't care surprises me greatly.

- Henry Ford
Beekay
SS Life Member

SainterK wrote:Watched the game with my Pop tonight, he didn't like Dawsons game, I find not many older saints supporters rate him for some reason?
The game, quite possibly life also, has past them.

If he doesn't rate Dawson (or his last game).... what does he think of Kosi (or his last game)?

I feel like Kosi is a never ending bad joke... this guy can't play football anymore... it's just painful to watch... mostly because you know he is aware of it and you know he is an okay bloke.

Dawson holds his own.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Beekay wrote:
SainterK wrote:Watched the game with my Pop tonight, he didn't like Dawsons game, I find not many older saints supporters rate him for some reason?
The game, quite possibly life also, has past them.

If he doesn't rate Dawson (or his last game).... what does he think of Kosi (or his last game)?

I feel like Kosi is a never ending bad joke... this guy can't play football anymore... it's just painful to watch... mostly because you know he is aware of it and you know he is an okay bloke.

Dawson holds his own.
Check out the replies on this thread though, a lot of who I presume are the older folk, don't rate him either.

Dunno why.

I think he'd be doing ok in the b&f votes at the moment.

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

I would have Zac and Dal (until Raines held him) among our best 5 for the B and F so far.

Zac is the least of our worries at the moment.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Can we wind this thread up?

Seems about 90% strongly in favour of Zac. 10% against.

You have to see a game live to really appreciate how good Zac really is.

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Can we wind this thread up?

Like.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Which is ironic b/c didn't the OP say he was at the game? The rest of us probably weren't

Winmar7Fan
Club Player

I know what you are saying jigster it's that lack of emotion and desperation like he's always going half pace and don't give a ---k.

If he is pushing himself I'd just like him to look like it occasionally.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:I dont rate Dawson either. Maybe because I can remember what a good fullback plays like. "Good onya Verdun"
Spud Frawley wasn't too bad either.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

Moods wrote:

Which is ironic b/c didn't the OP say he was at the game? The rest of us probably weren't
As someone who was there, first sighting of Dawson v Brisbane was him starting a scrum in our defensive line by getting into Leuenberger before the opening bounce.

Certainly looked engaged in the game from the sidelines.

- Henry Ford
St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

Perhaps Zac suffers from the Mark Waugh/Nick Dal Santo disease???

When it's all going well, their skill looks like it's all natural, like they were born to do it.

When things aren't going so great, they look lazy and disinterested.

They aren't actually trying any more or less, it's just a perception based on the outcome. If Zac closes down a leading forward and makes a great spoil, it looks fantastic, we all think he's the greatest full back since Silvagni. If he misses the spoil, he is lazy, too skinny etc...

Mark Waugh clips one off his pads through square leg for 4 and he is the most graceful batsmen to ever play the game. He gets an inside edge and clips it into leg stump, he's lazy, not watching the ball, trying to play extravagent shots etc...