Are we RUTHLESS enough? !!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Are we RUTHLESS enough? !!

There have been many instances in recent years that have led me to ask this question;

There was the Moorabbin re-development where it appeared we got screwed over by Tipsy Topsy and her mates from the City of Kingston

There was the Luke Ball saga where it appeared we got screwed over by Ball, Connors & Collingwood

There was the trading in of Andrew Lovett where it appeared we got screwed over by Essendon

There is the on-going clash strip saga where it appears we are still being screwed over by Essendon

There was/is the KD saga where we got well & truly screwed over by KD and a fair portion of the media (VP Ross Levin attempted to get tough but was over-ruled by the club)

There are probably other incidents that have slipped my mind

Thoughts? !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Steven Baker

Rolled over and took it in the arse.......and the defense was weak...

He was hung out to dry, by a tribunial that didnt like his style of play....joke

Actually, who is the person who defends our reported players?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Steven Baker

He was hung out to dry, by a tribunial that didnt like his style of play....joke

Ross Levin did that one and stuffed up big time.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

If you're talking about the Farmer incident, that was another where Ross Levin was over-ruled (? previous administration). They went out and got outside advise !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

There is also the perception that we hold on to guys on our list for too long and that we should turn our list over more but that appears to be changing !!

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

Just read this. Now not so sure !!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Pretty sure Ross Levin told him what to say. Of course I could be wrong. I usually am.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Eastern wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Pretty sure Ross Levin told him what to say. Of course I could be wrong. I usually am.
Heads or Tails. I'll use a 1966 round 50c piece !!

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Whilst I agree with some of that I think in a couple of instances we really had little option.

City of Kingston - Don't think being more ruthless would have achieved anything. They held all the cards.

Kim Duthie - The media was always going to run the angle of little school girl vs AFL Men's Club. Only option was damage control. Could it have been done better? Probably. But I don't think it was a case where being more ruthless would've helped.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I dont think "ruthless" or being more ruthless is the question/answer. I would say savvy/smart is what we clearly arent. All those things you mentioned are poor management/thickness/stupidity/naivety. We are not a sophisticated modern organisation.

We have been thick. Fraser made the negotiations on seaford and left. So many hundreds of options that could have been better. Duthie is pure stupidity. Poor recruiting - we didnt even have a recruitment manager for 12 months - despite "footy first". Thats poor Mgt. The jumper issue means we lack credible and sophisticated afl affairs mgt and submission making.
Luke Ball - thats poor unsophisticated list mgt. We lost something and got nothing. Amazes some people on here seem to use the chewbacca defence to somehow defend the club over getting nothing for Ball.
A Lovett - unsophisticated research. Were we conned by by a savvier Essendon who got a first round pick for a lemon? Probably.
Baker- poor representation and presentation/submission skills.

avid
Club Player

I agree CG above -- savvy is more productive than ruthless in most forms of negotiation.

WE ARE NOWHERE NEAR RUTHLESS ENOUGH IN OUR INSIDE 50 TACKLING!!

Ah for the good old days.

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

One word answer, No!

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
asiu
Saintsational Legend

haven't even read any posts .

just laughed.

butterboys doin the buzz not bettermen doin the biz onfield

hahahahahahahaha

NO

because theres butterboys doin the buzz in management

cousins = premiership
handed to us on a plate

for free

guts gains glory.

now we are left with fev.

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
tweedaletomanning
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:I dont think "ruthless" or being more ruthless is the question/answer. I would say savvy/smart is what we clearly arent. All those things you mentioned are poor management/thickness/stupidity/naivety. We are not a sophisticated modern organisation.

We have been thick. Fraser made the negotiations on seaford and left. So many hundreds of options that could have been better. Duthie is pure stupidity. Poor recruiting - we didnt even have a recruitment manager for 12 months - despite "footy first". Thats poor Mgt. The jumper issue means we lack credible and sophisticated afl affairs mgt and submission making.
Luke Ball - thats poor unsophisticated list mgt. We lost something and got nothing. Amazes some people on here seem to use the chewbacca defence to somehow defend the club over getting nothing for Ball.
A Lovett - unsophisticated research. Were we conned by by a savvier Essendon who got a first round pick for a lemon? Probably.
Baker- poor representation and presentation/submission skills.
Great Post ! If there was a viable alternative to this admin, we'd have something to think about.

oneteam
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
Eastern wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

[(The Herald Sun
On that day on SEN radio, Thomas had questioned why Levin, a lawyer, had not been asked for advice in the bungled Steven Baker tribunal hearing.

Baker copped a seven-week suspension when he effectively admitted initiating head-high contact with Fremantle's Jeff Farmer.) ]

The issue of being ruthless enough is possibly going to become very relevant if we lose to north.

Will the club be strong enough if we don't make the finals? I hope we do , 1 million percent, but IF not, i hope the powers that be will make the hard decisions at trade time that are needed.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Sometimes it's easy to be critical, but based on the number of poor calls by the Club on major issues, several key ones highlightd by Con, I think we can correctly conclude that the Club's management is not savvy and lacks smarts. :evil:

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

I think this thread smacks of the "victim mentality".

Yes things have'nt gone the clubs way on some things over the years but is that about not being ruthless enough or is it other reasons.

Dont complain and don't explain. Just suck it up and get on with it.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Can't think of one player named "Ruth" in the team.

oneteam
Club Player

perfectionist wrote:Can't think of one player named "Ruth" in the team.
:lol: :lol:

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Re: Are we RUTHLESS enough? !!

Eastern wrote:There are probably other incidents that have slipped my mind
2010 Grand Final replay.

R. Harvey 3 votes!
Club Player

Re: Are we RUTHLESS enough? !!

Eastern wrote:There have been many instances in recent years that have led me to ask this question;

There was the Moorabbin re-development where it appeared we got screwed over by Tipsy Topsy and her mates from the City of Kingston

There was the Luke Ball saga where it appeared we got screwed over by Ball, Connors & Collingwood

There was the trading in of Andrew Lovett where it appeared we got screwed over by Essendon

There is the on-going clash strip saga where it appears we are still being screwed over by Essendon

There was/is the KD saga where we got well & truly screwed over by KD and a fair portion of the media (VP Ross Levin attempted to get tough but was over-ruled by the club)

There are probably other incidents that have slipped my mind

Thoughts? !!
As I have said before all St. Kilda Football Club ever does is bend over, touch the toes and unclench! We never stand up for ourselves and we just cop it. Maybe it explains why we have only ever won one premiership and probably always will! You teach people how to treat you, well we let them walk all over us time and time again...

When Harvey played his first game in 1988, I was a 12yo wearing short pants and struggling with my readin', writin' and 'rithmetic in grade eight. Now, I'm a father of three and a retired AFL player. And he's still going. Amazing! - Michael Voss
gringo
Saintsational Legend

For f*** sake get a grip, we got screwed on Lovett, but if he had fallen asleep on one terrible night instead of drinking more he may have helped win a premiership. Brissie probably feels we sold them a car with the exhaust held on with sticky tape when they got X Clarke with his knees going twice. Luck of the draw.

Essendom have to wear red silk boxer shorts and they are feeling smug?

Being buggered by a council? Gees that's all they have to do these days. Stuff progress up to give loud voices to special interest imbeciles.

The AFL and it's various versions of tribunals are always pet lions for the AFL bosses special whims. The media makes noise the AFL tries to look proactive by being reactive. Baker was screwed by the media how built some folk law character out of his competitive attack on the footy.

As for Duthie, the media screwed us but they hold all the cards, once they head in a direction you just have to hope their attention wavers. We were Homer Simpson with his sweet candy hands, they didn't care about ethics or integrity just ratings. Sucks, but thats life.

Being like a guy that drives his car through the parliament window when the government gives him the s***s is counter productive when you live under the benevolent dictator chairman Andy.

Megsie
Club Player

HINDSIGHT...................is such a wonderful thing !!!!!!!!!

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:

If you're talking about the Farmer incident, that was another where Ross Levin was over-ruled (? previous administration). They went out and got outside advise !!
Gee...Ross Levin's been handy..... :roll:

What about umpiring? - weve been umpire flogged for yonks....get nought.till cant beleive the tiggy touchwood frees paid to Cats (4 direct goals from frees last game to our nil..).

You can bet Malthouse wouldnt take it up the kyber. Good old Saints will...

“Yeah….nah””
Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

Ross Levin struggles a bit.

I used to work with him. Deadset Saints fan, but gee I always worried about him being involved in a footy club in a bigger capacity than cheering from the grandstands!