Dont drop ARMO if performance waivers a bit.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saint58
Club Player

Dont drop ARMO if performance waivers a bit.

Armo is stuck between a rock and a hard place.If he doesnt get over 22 touches a week a lot of people say drop him.

Now that lenny is out we need just to play him as he will get better and show what he is capable of with constiance in selection.

He has show a fair bit and i suspect he will get better if left to get confidence in our side and not in and out all the time.

I know it was due to injury last year and the year before.

I get really p""""offed when they drop a young player for playing 1 bad game.Then give a older player time when he makes the same funbamental mistakes.

The young player will learn and get better the older player will keep making the mistakes and get older and slower i know which one i would invest in??????????????????????????????????

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Re: Dont drop ARMO if performance waivers a bit.

saint58 wrote:Armo is stuck between a rock and a hard place.If he doesnt get over 22 touches a week a lot of people say drop him.

Now that lenny is out we need just to play him as he will get better and show what he is capable of with constiance in selection.

He has show a fair bit and i suspect he will get better if left to get confidence in our side and not in and out all the time.

I know it was due to injury last year and the year before.

I get really p""""offed when they drop a young player for playing 1 bad game.Then give a older player time when he makes the same funbamental mistakes.

The young player will learn and get better the older player will keep making the mistakes and get older and slower i know which one i would invest in??????????????????????????????????
Agree, but I think you'll find he's pretty safe unless his form really drops off.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Armo is as safe as houses. But I agree with the sentiment and it should be applied to Smith and Steven. DO NOT drop those two unless they really have a few bad games in a row. But they need game time. Lots of game time. Only way to get better.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

This perception that Armo is dropped as soon as he plays ONE bad game is crap as afar as I'm concerned. he played numerous bad games in a row last year before being dropped.

Saints aren't a chariety case. No-one says he has to be in the best 5 each week. He just has to keep contributing. So far this year he's doing that. When he was dropped last year he had stopped doing that I reckon.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Please drop him and anyone else that doesnt deserve a game. This rubbish of saying they should play 5 in a row or whatever is exactly that, rubbish.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Please drop him and anyone else that doesnt deserve a game. This rubbish of saying they should play 5 in a row or whatever is exactly that, rubbish.
But does Dempster deserve a game?

Discuss.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
jays
Club Player

very safe

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Please drop him and anyone else that doesnt deserve a game. This rubbish of saying they should play 5 in a row or whatever is exactly that, rubbish.
I diasgree. I don't think it's as clear cut as that.

Tarkyn Lockyer and a couple of guys at Collingwood probably 'deserved' a game more than some of the young blokes.

But it doesn't make sense to keep playing guys that aren't going to be around in the next year or so, just because they deserve it.

Sometimes you need to plan for what your next serious team will look like. So if a guy like Armitage or Stanley are part of your vision for the future, you may as well play them and have them as 50 gamers in 2 years when you're a challenger, instead of having them as 10 gamers and still green whilst you've pumped an extra 40 games into a bloke who's no longer at the club.

The risk of course, is that you create a culture where a bloke gets a game without putting in the effort.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:
I diasgree. I don't think it's as clear cut as that.

Tarkyn Lockyer and a couple of guys at Collingwood probably 'deserved' a game more than some of the young blokes.

But it doesn't make sense to keep playing guys that aren't going to be around in the next year or so, just because they deserve it.

Sometimes you need to plan for what your next serious team will look like. So if a guy like Armitage or Stanley are part of your vision for the future, you may as well play them and have them as 50 gamers in 2 years when you're a challenger, instead of having them as 10 gamers and still green whilst you've pumped an extra 40 games into a bloke who's no longer at the club.

The risk of course, is that you create a culture where a bloke gets a game without putting in the effort.
So we should also have Archer in the side because he was dropped after only one game. May be a little top heavy if Archer, Stanley, Ben and Kosi play. There are sometimes reasons why guys cant play more than 1 or 2 in a row. Pick people on form and if it is close go for the younger guy if the finals look doubtful.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

I think the heading on this thread SHOULD read;

Don't drop Armo if he doesn't deserve to be dropped but;

By all means drop him if he deosn't deserve a spot in the side !!
Last edited by Eastern on Sun 17 Apr 2011 12:06pm, edited 1 time in total.

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote: So we should also have Archer in the side because he was dropped after only one game. May be a little top heavy if Archer, Stanley, Ben and Kosi play. There are sometimes reasons why guys cant play more than 1 or 2 in a row. Pick people on form and if it is close go for the younger guy if the finals look doubtful.
Yeah, I agree with that.

I don't think it's clear cut either way.

Purely playing guys because they deserve it, is short sighted and can hurt your medium to long term future.

However playing every young guy every week just because they're young will definitely hurt you short term and may actually stifle their development. If they're getting rolled every week and don't have experienced guys around them to learn from, it can make it hard for them to develop.

It's hard to guage with Rossy though. The things he wants from players, and the things that constitute 'earning' a game, are things that are generally very difficult for immature bodies and minds to do every week.

Due to this, it's hard to include too many of these young guys in the team at one time.
So much of our game plan relies on strict discipline, hard running and strong bodies.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

wont matter
because armos form wont drop off that much
he knows he's in there replacing the len dog and will bust his guts i reckon
8-)

Megsie
Club Player

armo is a good player in average team.
Will never & cannot ever be compared to "Lenny"
His pre-season antics prove he's average.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Megsie wrote:armo is a good player in average team.
What di he do pre season?

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

What did he do pre season? The KD stuff was 12 months ago!

And I don't think even his greatest fan would be comparing him to Lenny. It's simply being stated that Lenny's absence makes Armo's inclusion more important to our team

PJ
SS Life Member

armo is a good player in average team.
Think you might have the wrong guy unless you know somthing I don't.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
groupie1
Club Player

Johnny Member wrote:
plugger66 wrote: So we should also have Archer in the side because he was dropped after only one game. May be a little top heavy if Archer, Stanley, Ben and Kosi play. There are sometimes reasons why guys cant play more than 1 or 2 in a row. Pick people on form and if it is close go for the younger guy if the finals look doubtful.
Yeah, I agree with that.

I don't think it's clear cut either way.

Purely playing guys because they deserve it, is short sighted and can hurt your medium to long term future.

However playing every young guy every week just because they're young will definitely hurt you short term and may actually stifle their development. If they're getting rolled every week and don't have experienced guys around them to learn from, it can make it hard for them to develop.

It's hard to guage with Rossy though. The things he wants from players, and the things that constitute 'earning' a game, are things that are generally very difficult for immature bodies and minds to do every week.

Due to this, it's hard to include too many of these young guys in the team at one time.
So much of our game plan relies on strict discipline, hard running and strong bodies.
"and the things that constitute 'earning' a game, are things that are generally very difficult for immature bodies and minds to do every week." Not true. Earning a game means showing you want to play when you play in the VFL.

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

groupie1 wrote: "and the things that constitute 'earning' a game, are things that are generally very difficult for immature bodies and minds to do every week." Not true. Earning a game means showing you want to play when you play in the VFL.
Yeah maybe.

My assumption is just based on the 'honest' line that Rossy used last week.

I don't know exactly what he means, but assume it's a certain type of style in addition to what you wrote above.

Legendary
Club Player

Armitage has had a very good start to the year.

He has shown (so far) consistency, which has been missing from his game.

Was excellent against Richmond particularly after Lenny went down. Was good in a poor performance against Essendon.

QuestionOfAccuracy
Club Player

Moods wrote:This perception that Armo is dropped as soon as he plays ONE bad game is crap as afar as I'm concerned. he played numerous bad games in a row last year before being dropped.

Saints aren't a chariety case. No-one says he has to be in the best 5 each week. He just has to keep contributing. So far this year he's doing that. When he was dropped last year he had stopped doing that I reckon.
+1

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
What did he do pre season? The KD stuff was 12 months ago!

And I don't think even his greatest fan would be comparing him to Lenny. It's simply being stated that Lenny's absence makes Armo's inclusion more important to our team
armo is an adequate replacement and similar style player to luke ball. hes like for like and of similar quality. and i rate them both. hes a very good player.

lendog is lendog.

no idea what this antics crap is? a 20 year old guy had a sex with a girl. wow big whoops!. what antics. FFS.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Play the kids for the next 10 years straight. Then, if they play a bad game... Drop them.