Peake, Gamble & Raph officially dropped

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

SainterK wrote:
Respectfully disagree.

He hardly played in 2009.
with respect
he did his knee in '09

Seeya
Saints43
Club Player

sunsaint wrote:
SainterK wrote:
Respectfully disagree.

with respect
he did his knee in '09
And was dragged straight out of the physio room into the team.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Johnny Member wrote:Based on Rossy's comments last week, the mystery as to why these types of guys get picked is because they're 'honest'.

I think the mystery may have finally been solved! Sort of.

I take that to mean that they have a crack. Have a crack every quarter, every week.
They do what you ask them to do, to the best of their ability.

I think that's why a guy like Dempster gets picked.

The tough question that Lyon needs to ask himself is, does he shelve that selection system? It's been probably the biggest element of his coaching tenure since he's been at the club.

He's recruited battlers, and given battlers games every week.

Can he change this now and start giving blokes a game who perhaps aren't seen to be giving 110%?

And if he does, will it throw the whole system out of whack?

Can we hold teams to 60 points each week with young guys who aren't honest?

The flipside is I guess, can we kick 100 points each week with a team that is honest, but lacking in skill and natural ability?
nail hammer head
exactly, you can't blame Dempster for getting a game. That's not HIS fault, and StKilda's problems dont lie at DEMPSTERS' feet & to be honest I dont mind him in the side.

people have to reconcile their frustration with the fact that RL values a Dempster blanket job as equally as he does utilising our best attacking play makers kicking in from full-back, or playing loose man defensive sweepers, instead of kicking goals.

The defensive mindset should have changed rnd1 2010, when the game changed

Seeya
stinger
Saintsational Legend

trouble with dumster is he turns the ball over most times he gets it......can't afford to be giving 10-12 easy possessions to the opposition in their forward line nearly every match......dumpster does it week in week out...the guy is not an afl class footballer.....full stop....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote:
SainterK wrote:
Respectfully disagree.

with respect
he did his knee in '09
With respect, he still didn't play.

Only really been in the side, when Baker hasn't been.

(Like 2008, when Baker only played 2 games)

With respect.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Saints43 wrote:
sunsaint wrote:
SainterK wrote:
Respectfully disagree.

with respect
he did his knee in '09
And was dragged straight out of the physio room into the team.
:)

Hardly.

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

Con Gorozidis wrote:
Sobraz wrote:
sunsaint wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:I can see that Lyons love for Dempster continues . Its hard to see why with that physique. Unfortunately he simply cant play footy.
I dont understand after 5 years, why people are still confused
You get a game, if you play a role
It's confusing because nobody knows the 'role' Dempster plays... Its not a football related role... Unless it's run around like a headless chook and turn it over whenever you get it...

I can't believe he's still in the mix, with the outs of the past 2 weeks...

This suggests Ross clearly rates Dempster in our best 16 or so players, when he is clearly the worst player in the AFL... Strange days... :roll:
Yep im still confused about what constituted a "role".
There needs to be a net benefit. you cant just throw jargon weazel words like "role" at me as though that wins the argument. Oh hes playing a secret "role" that only the coaches know about so argument over.
Thats bollocks and im tired of hearing it on here. Unless the role to "get toweled up".
Dempsters' role - agree or note - is surely to provide flexibility.

Dempster's a tall ground level player, endurance runner, and a long kick. He can directly take an opponent, he can fill structural position in either the midfield or defense when opposition has the ball, and (in Ross' opinion anyway it would seem), he can be used as a defensive forward.

I'm not a fan - his best seems to be adequate to being a flexibility player (similar to what Blake used to do before becoming a permanent defender), my take generally is he seems to spend a lot of time being not quite good enough at a number of things. Still, it's not hard to figure out what he's being used for.

His role is to provide flexibility.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
duckduckduckgoose
Club Player

BAM! (shhhh) wrote:
His role is to provide flexibility.
You know what happens to things that become too flexible?

They cant stand up.

I bought a shirt from Target once.
It had a hard tag on it too.

I know how Dal feels.
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:trouble with dumster is he turns the ball over most times he gets it......can't afford to be giving 10-12 easy possessions to the opposition in their forward line nearly every match......dumpster does it week in week out...the guy is not an afl class footballer.....full stop....
same could be said about Gram .... differance being Dempster actually defends against his player where as gram pretends to put in a half assed chase and tackle ....

im not saying Dempster is not a suspect player but he definatly is not the only one who is not pulling his weight ...

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
stinger
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
stinger wrote:trouble with dumster is he turns the ball over most times he gets it......can't afford to be giving 10-12 easy possessions to the opposition in their forward line nearly every match......dumpster does it week in week out...the guy is not an afl class footballer.....full stop....
same could be said about Gram .... differance being Dempster actually defends against his player where as gram pretends to put in a half assed chase and tackle ....

im not saying Dempster is not a suspect player but he definatly is not the only one who is not pulling his weight ...
gram was our best player in the grand final lost to the cats in 2009.......doubt if dumpster ever made it into our top ten best players.....

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:

gram was our best player in the grand final lost to the cats in 2009.......doubt if dumpster ever made it into our top ten best players.....
How do you mean? You mean has he ever got votes in the final series?

http://www.saintsational.com/forum/view ... &start=125

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
stinger wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:

Doesn't really stand up to scrutiny, they all got votes and your boy never made top ten, maybe equal with half a dozen others. He is a very ordinary footballer and we are going nowhere with him on our list.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
SainterK wrote:
stinger wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:

Doesn't really stand up to scrutiny, they all got votes and your boy never made top ten, maybe equal with half a dozen others. He is a very ordinary footballer and we are going nowhere with him on our list.
He is not my boy, I just get annoyed when supporters call our guys duds, clowns, love childs etc.

They pull on the jumper, and they do their best. Perhaps it won't end up being good enough, but I don't like the concept of whipping boys.

I won't say anymore. :?

stinger
Saintsational Legend

dempster's best will never be good enough for an afl class player...imho....i think doing his knee destroyed any further potential he had...

saint58
Club Player

SainterK wrote:Mini, Kosi, Winmar

Will be a nice balance of experience and youth in the side with Smith, Steven, Stanley retaining their spots.

8-)
going on past selection form Smith,stanley,steven will be droped they all played well,deserve 1 more game at least.

Let them show what they have got young guys are a bit inconsistant,plus they werenot any worse then anyone else and a lot better then others.

But i hope iam wrong we dont need to go backwards in selecting players who play 1 good game in 5 keep the youth.Other teams do!!!!

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Back to the original post, I wonder if Ross Lyon has put a line though a couple of these players for the rest of the seaon.

For me, Peake and Ganble can stay in the VFL, as they have no more physical presence or attack on the ball than an inexperienced newcomer. So why not play the newcomers and give them valuable game time? There's certainly more to gain from it. Look at Blair at Collingwood last year. It spelt the end for Tarkyn Lockyerand The Pies were a better team for it.

As for Clarke, well, he's been disappointing, but has more runs on the board than the other two and has more to offer.

groupie1
Club Player

sunsaint wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:I can see that Lyons love for Dempster continues . Its hard to see why with that physique. Unfortunately he simply cant play footy.
I dont understand after 5 years, why people are still confused
You get a game, if you play a role
Blokes, Dempster had a shocker against Ess, but he's a decent footballer. Defensive skills are very highly tuned. He's also got some height. I see almost in a Max Hudghton mold, and before you start, what I mean is he is extremely technically good at man-on-man defense.

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga