Jason Gram B.O.G

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

spert
Saintsational Legend

Gram is at least getting hands on ball, and as someone said, every team has Gram type players, but with us we also have NDS and Montagna who don't put their heads over the ball in tough contests and dont put any physical pressure on their man - all skilled players, but we now lack grunt without Lenny, so our midfield has running receivers and no hard nut- Armo is still learning and will improve. Rather than bag Gram, ask the forward line where their tackling went, ask Roo why he is not leading by example..

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

spert wrote:Gram is at least getting hands on ball, and as someone said, every team has Gram type players, but with us we also have NDS and Montagna who don't put their heads over the ball in tough contests and dont put any physical pressure on their man - all skilled players, but we now lack grunt without Lenny, so our midfield has running receivers and no hard nut- Armo is still learning and will improve. Rather than bag Gram, ask the forward line where their tackling went, ask Roo why he is not leading by example..
So, just wondering, people do understand that both Dal Santo and Montagna (and Goddard) are elite level contested ball winners, right? Where the Saints run into trouble is that falloff after a top group, and having lost the ability to shut down the stoppages they don't win.

Conversely, Gram is literally the Saints most outside player - it's not new, and it's not likely to change any time soon. He's an outrider whose role is breaking lines, and the theory is that he'll balance turnovers against I50s, but his turnovers come at the other end of the ground because he kicks it long.

There's some merit to an argument that Gram gets away with a game like that because better disposals (Dal Santo, Goddard) won't find that room near the stoppage, but anyone expecting Lenny Hayes type performances from Jason Gram will go on being disappointed.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
lefty
Club Player

TBH, I thought Jason Gram was really bad.

His turnover kicks to no one cost us 4 goals imo. If you watched clearly.

I don't care that he had 30 disposals if they're not good.

Even when he stuffed it up, it was like he didn't care, and the coach didn't even drag him....

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

lefty wrote:TBH, I thought Jason Gram was really bad.

His turnover kicks to no one cost us 4 goals imo. If you watched clearly.

I don't care that he had 30 disposals if they're not good.

Even when he stuffed it up, it was like he didn't care, and the coach didn't even drag him....
Can't drag them these days... all about rotations. Gram should be rotated to Sandy for kicking lessons. If he just bombs away as usual at Sandy, he'll kick it out on the full every time.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
CeilidhSaint
Club Player

BAM - agreed. Good points there.
Grammy used to be a beautiful long kick and has it in him on occasion.
This will shock readers but it comes down to a few things I'd think - injury possibly affecting his action, lack of confidence affecting him mentally or trying to hard to kick it long ("Grammy, your role is to receive handballs in the back half, run a bit, bounce a bit and then kick long to 23 or 12").
He is never going to be a rugged defender and how many tackles did he lay in the season he did well in the B&F? Not that many I'd think he just needs to get his kicking action right and at least that is possible...
PS Whatever happened to Sam Fisher floating across the back line, mopping up and running hard forward...? Ah, the good old days....

TB 1 - The Brightest Light on the Darkest Night - we miss you.
Think Globally, Act Sainterly
I have Phil Narkle's helmet
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Gram is a fairly long kick....can lace the odd one 55-60 but has never been an accurate kick....ever..

Like a golfer who grips it and rips it...his accurate big bombs are memorable, but not consistent.....generally he overkicks the footy, lie gilbert