Ross Lyon's press conference - transcript

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Whats with all the f***ing maybes......he used three in one sentance....this is an issue and philosiphy that shoulda been worked out in the preseason.....

He needed to be clear early doors and go a certain direction....move fwd....he hoped by staying the same we would still be competative....no

We are like the aust cricket team.....a disorganised rabble....and change has to occur.....past is past

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:He needed to be clear early doors and go a certain direction....move fwd....he hoped by staying the same we would still be competative....no
he was very clear about his direction. minimal changes, go back to the well one more time. history has shown that this may have been the wrong option, so now he's scrambling to change. fair enough.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Tom_Sainter wrote:terrific presser from Ross. If it were only as easy to blood all these young players.... the problem is that most of them are no bloody good. Sounds harsh but its not worth playing the kids just for the sake of some new energy and enthusiasm, as it didn't work tonight.
Ross is in a place where he either goes back to Bakes, Blake, McQualter, Dempster or puts a line through them and plays the kids.
With the exception of Stanley, i personally thought most of the additions to the team tonight did stuff all.
IMO (for what its worth) I would stay with the guys that got us to within a kick of 2 grand finals. Confidence is an amazing thing and at the moment it was pretty obvious we have bugger all of it tonight.
One week is a long time in footy.... Lets not throw the baby out with the bathwater, I admit signs were not good tonight, but i still think this is mainly a mental issue from the scars of last year.
Keep the faith
I think Smith was ok and Steven showed promise.

Funny how a number of unfamiliar posters have come out to have their say.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
SaintWodonga wrote:Look what Collingwood did in 2010, did the play Fraser? Medhurst? No, they gave their young players a chance to play and shine.
there's a possibility that their young players were and are better than our young players.
There's only one way to find out. Play them.

RL is right. We are in a transition moment.

Luckily there's bullets left in the gun if the young bucks are up to the challenge.

Frankly, I'm quite bullish about seeing how life in the lower half pans out.

We came close. Game of inches. Luck evaded us, as it does.

But this is a test of how smart we have become. It's a test of new St Kilda.

I'm up for it.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:Frankly, I'm quite bullish about seeing how life in the lower half pans out.

I'm up for it.
i like your attitude. and i'd like to be able to agree with you. but i'm not quite there yet.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

What does RL have to work with and what can he do ?
What can any coach do, really ?

1. A lot of our success was built on our run out of defence.
That was our mainstay.
Teams are now effectively preventing our run out of defence.
Can RL turn that around ? - How ?

2. McEvoy is not a tap ruckman - Stanley I thought was better in that he at least nullified Essendon's ruckmen with his leap.
Can RL make McEvoy leap higher ?

3. Compared to most teams - our players are slower, take the wrong option plus our kicking skills are below average.
Can RL make Jones kick better or McEvoy or Gamble run faster?

4. You can have game plans (such as preplanned kick to handball ratios )- but against quicker, more skillful side - good luck in executing those plans. Essendon's speed and pressure forced us into too many handballs.

5. We need quicker, more skillful players that are clever enough to pick the right options - a coach can only work with what he has.

The only option RL has -
6. He is going to have to look more towards our youth - Ledger, Cripps, Winmar, Walsh, Johnson. Lynch etc.. .. inject some speed, skill and enthusiasm in our team.
In with the quick, enthusiastic and youthful - out with the slow and the skill-less.
Last edited by samoht on Mon 11 Apr 2011 10:22am, edited 1 time in total.

markp
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:
bergholt wrote:
SaintWodonga wrote:Look what Collingwood did in 2010, did the play Fraser? Medhurst? No, they gave their young players a chance to play and shine.
there's a possibility that their young players were and are better than our young players.

Luckily there's bullets left in the gun if the young bucks are up to the challenge.

I'm up for it.
I agree, but it's obviously not about challenging this year from here on.

Luckily we have some exiting kids... spend the rest of the season bringing them on and rejigging the gameplan to suit, hopefully have a crack next year, with Hayes back.

That's about as optimistic as I can be.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:
bergholt wrote:

I'm up for it.
I'm with you Thinny.

If I wanna be negative I can just stay home and do that and save my time and money. But like the last 40 years I'll keep going along, and if I'm going to do that I'm going to try and get as much enjoyment out of it as I can.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

yup
im in
i mean look theres obviously a sniff of a chance to play finals still, its round 3 not round 16, but does it look like we would have an impact if we made it?
no, it doesnt...
lets be honest, we all know at this moment right now we look shite, we look tired and we look like we've been up for too long and need a break.

do we play with those that bust their guts but have limited skill, or go with the skill that doesnt seem to really want to bust a gut
i say F*** ya if you dont want to bust a gut, bye bye, sandy for you.

len dogs gone and id never thought id see a team rely on one bloke so much as a general and a leader, but we have honestly crumbled without him.

as much as i say blokes like dempster has to go , the guy had 10 one percent efforts on the weekend. some players didnt even crack two efforts

F*** it
get rid of the dead wood and bring more in that WANT to have a red hot crack
johnson, siposs maybe??, bring in winmar, ledger, cripps
F*** it
why not
isnt this the future anyway????

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Half the problem is that when you have kids like Steven and Stanley patrolling the forward line, the pressure drops right off. No coincidence that our forward tackling was so poor yesterday- we had Steven, Stanley and Gamble where last year it would have been McQualter and Eddy.

We won't win many games of footy with the kids for 2 years, because they are all about self-prreservation, and don't do the team things.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:
Thinline wrote:
bergholt wrote:

I'm up for it.
I agree, but it's obviously not about challenging this year from here on.

Luckily we have some exiting kids... spend the rest of the season bringing them on and rejigging the gameplan to suit, hopefully have a crack next year, with Hayes back.

That's about as optimistic as I can be.
There is even the slight chance that it has the same effect on the team as Collingwood leaving out Lockyer, Medhurst, Fraser did last year.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

both good points
eddy and mini busted a gut
F*** me one guy played with a busted jaw and a stuffed arm in the GF
and they tackle well, but other attributes are not there, and then on the other hand the youth is just that, youth and not quite sure yet about putting the body on the line
aghhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Statsman
Club Player

dcstkfc wrote:We won't win many games of footy with the kids for 2 years, because they are all about self-prreservation, and don't do the team things.
Surely self-preservation for the young kids is all about doing the team things. If they don't do the team things and fulfil their role in the team, they'll be dropped in favour of somebody else.

I can't see any reason why the youngsters like Steven and Stanley would be any less capable of applying forward pressure and tackles than the older guys like Koschitzke and McQualter.

"Ask not what your teammates can do for you. Ask what you can do for your teammates." - Earvin 'Magic' Johnson
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Statsman wrote:
dcstkfc wrote:We won't win many games of footy with the kids for 2 years, because they are all about self-prreservation, and don't do the team things.
Surely self-preservation for the young kids is all about doing the team things. If they don't do the team things and fulfil their role in the team, they'll be dropped in favour of somebody else.

I can't see any reason why the youngsters like Steven and Stanley would be any less capable of applying forward pressure and tackles than the older guys like Koschitzke and McQualter.
I agree that Ross would be imploring them to do the team things, but it's hard not to think that Rhys Stanley is still in a mindset where it is all about Rhys Stanley's stats sheet than having a Jason Blake mentality of 'everything for the team'

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
west57
Club Player

I thought it was a great press conference from Ross. He was very honest, straight up and did not shy away from the big issues that face the club. I do think he needs to cut his losses and play the kids - find out who has and who hasn't got what it takes to succeed at the top level - and build for our next shot at the flag with them. That might not come for another 10 years, but it has to start now.

These players who have played in 3 grand finals in the past 2 years with nothing but a draw to hang their hat on really seem to be struggling to motivate themselves in the 3 games so far this year. And I don't blame them. As a supporter, I have been struggling to motivate myself to look forward to going to the footy this year. I'm too heartbroken. I used to justify going to watch us lose by saying it would make the eventual victories that much sweeter, but the amount of pain and heartbreak we've suffered recently is almost too much to bear.

So maybe it's time to refresh the team with kids who don't have that baggage, who have the optimism of youth and the desire to prove themselves. As a supporter, I want to see that optimism and desire - I don't want to see jaded players running around listlessly out there, too broken by the pain of the last 2 years.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

Statsman wrote:

agreed...

this is not about talent or not. Right now those who were selected yesterday did not have the attitude or passion to make the tackle, hit the ball hard, gt the contested ball.

I want to see two things at training for the rest of the year.

1) 70% + focus on contested play. Be it on the ground or in the air. I am willing to lose a couple to injury and start winning the damn contests. Run in numbers, reward players for doing these things. Make it clear that if you don't you wont get selected.

2) Kicking skills. Goal kicking, field kicking. Less tactics and more basics!

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
nobhead
Club Player

Tom_Sainter wrote:terrific presser from Ross. If it were only as easy to blood all these young players.... the problem is that most of them are no bloody good. Sounds harsh but its not worth playing the kids just for the sake of some new energy and enthusiasm, as it didn't work tonight.
Ross is in a place where he either goes back to Bakes, Blake, McQualter, Dempster or puts a line through them and plays the kids.
With the exception of Stanley, i personally thought most of the additions to the team tonight did stuff all.
IMO (for what its worth) I would stay with the guys that got us to within a kick of 2 grand finals. Confidence is an amazing thing and at the moment it was pretty obvious we have bugger all of it tonight.
One week is a long time in footy.... Lets not throw the baby out with the bathwater, I admit signs were not good tonight, but i still think this is mainly a mental issue from the scars of last year.
Keep the faith
your kidding mate the 3 inclusions played ok .players like mini ,peake,dempster,are not up to it never have been , you have to keep improving otherwise you go backwards. don't know if these young kids are up to it or not but if you don't give them a chance we will never know . i do not beleive we need a total rebuild but we do need to find out if these young guys are good enough .not rely on the usual stars to get us there again.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Best presser ever from Ross. Told it how it is, like it or not.

I just hope he starts rewarding decent form from Sandringham.

Johnson has kicked four goals in the past two weeks for example. He must be in the mix.

Our attitude is f***ed at the moment. Just so flat and broken it is heartbreaking.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
AP Erebus
Club Player

bigred wrote:Best presser ever from Ross. Told it how it is, like it or not.

I just hope he starts rewarding decent form from Sandringham.

Johnson has kicked four goals in the past two weeks for example. He must be in the mix.

Our attitude is f***ed at the moment. Just so flat and broken it is heartbreaking.
Completely agree.

That was exactly the press conference I wanted to see and why I'm such a big fan of Ross Lyon.

Strong and honest words. Didn't shirk his responsibility in it.

I just wish the playing group would back him up.

it has been around this time that "Kosi" will headbutt a fence, rip a hamstring or belt someone.
BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

Thinline wrote:
bergholt wrote:
So, we start dropping experienced role-players for kids, the kids work rate isn't up to it, and the solution is to bring in more kids?

The 2010 Pies played one debut player. They debuted a number more in '09... but consider, those players are Blair (2010), Sidebottom (2009), Beams (2009) and Macaffer (2009).

What I get from that list of players - especially Beams and Sidebottom - is talented kids who work themselves into the ground every time they're on the field.

What I certainly don't get is a series of names that are getting games for the sake of "finding out".

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

BAM! (shhhh) wrote:
Thinline wrote:
bergholt wrote:
So, we start dropping experienced role-players for kids, the kids work rate isn't up to it, and the solution is to bring in more kids?

The 2010 Pies played one debut player. They debuted a number more in '09... but consider, those players are Blair (2010), Sidebottom (2009), Beams (2009) and Macaffer (2009).

What I get from that list of players - especially Beams and Sidebottom - is talented kids who work themselves into the ground every time they're on the field.

What I certainly don't get is a series of names that are getting games for the sake of "finding out".
We have to make a call. We can't simply conjure up the types we want out of nowhere.

Besides, I'm not suggesting what you think. I'm suggesting we give the likes of Archer, Lynch, Steven, Smith etc 4-6 games instead of calling them up for one and then sending them back.

Rd 3 or not, it's close to dog's balls that our GF side from last year won't get us top four this year. Anything below four is a waste of a year unless you're building to something.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

Thinline wrote:
BAM! (shhhh) wrote:
Thinline wrote:
bergholt wrote:

We have to make a call. We can't simply conjure up the types we want out of nowhere.

Besides, I'm not suggesting what you think. I'm suggesting we give the likes of Archer, Lynch, Steven, Smith etc 4-6 games instead of calling them up for one and then sending them back.

Rd 3 or not, it's close to dog's balls that our GF side from last year won't get us top four this year. Anything below four is a waste of a year unless you're building to something.
Conceptually I agree with you. Play for a few games so that you don't get your perceptions of the player warped by first game jitters every time you need them.

You've still got to be able to earn your keep though, and I think the only one who's looked okay so far is Smith... and given history, it won't surprise me if Smith is the next incarnation of Eddy, Geary et al who start way back, work hard, get in but reach their ceiling....

On the basis of what we saw against Essendon, Stanley and Steven both have talent. They quite probably keep their spots, but would want to show something against Brisbane, because what they really showed me is that Mini and Kosi are better than they get credit for.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
Richter
SS Life Member

BigMart wrote:Whats with all the f***ing maybes......he used three in one sentance....this is an issue and philosiphy that shoulda been worked out in the preseason.....

He needed to be clear early doors and go a certain direction....move fwd....he hoped by staying the same we would still be competative....no

We are like the aust cricket team.....a disorganised rabble....and change has to occur.....past is past
Can't help thinking you may be right Marto. I am hoping that they did do some work and thinking in the pre-season - at least in terms of 'transition' planning as RL puts it.... and that is what will be kicking in now...

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
fingers
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Whats with all the f***ing maybes......he used three in one sentance....this is an issue and philosiphy that shoulda been worked out in the preseason.....

A bit of an over-reaction ??

It's an art not a science - that's why the "maybes". He doesn't know what the answer is yet. Nothing wrong with that.
Last edited by fingers on Mon 11 Apr 2011 5:01pm, edited 1 time in total.

markp
Saintsational Legend

Richter wrote:

Can't help thinking you may be right Marto. I am hoping that they did do some work and thinking in the pre-season - at least in terms of 'transition' planning as RL puts it.... and that is what will be kicking in now...
If he'd started the season with a new broom and we'd lost the first 2 1/2 games in similar fashion people would be screaming for his head... going to the well again was worth a try till the break at least, surely. We only missed a flag by a heartbeat.

As you allude Richter, I'm sure there has been plenty of thought put into the transition. Now they have full licence to implement that, no matter what the short term pain.