Inspirational...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

FortiusQuoFidelius
Club Player

Inspirational...

Today I was driving along King Street before the game watching many of the Saints supporters on their weekly trek to Etihad Stadium to watch their heroes go into battle.

Whilst stopped at the lights at Little Bourke Street I noticed an old man of about 80 waiting to cross King Street, dressed up in his Saints gear, complete with 2011 members scarf and cap.

He appeared to be struggling to walk the distance from where he parked his car, burdened by the weight of the bag he carried, no doubt containing his thermos of coffee, a sandwich and a couple of pieces of fruit to both refresh him after his walk and sustain him during the game.

I have no doubt that this guy adores the St Kilda Football Club and it is unfortunate that the passion he obviously has for the club is not reflected by the playing group on the field.

If only the players had seen this guy today, struggling against the weather, his age, the weight of his carry bag and the traffic on King Street just to see his heroes play, I'm certain the inspiration they could have drawn from him may well have changed the result today.

It's a pity that the players dont see this side of their fans more often. I'm sure if they did see what some of their fans go through to watch them they would have an entirely different outlook on the game than they currently have.

Keep it up old man and I sincerely hope the Saints can deliver you another flag before you become too old and frail to make that trek I saw you on today.

FQF

felixleo
Club Player

Although it was inspirational to you, and I would have felt the same ,can you remember what it was like to play in a team. The only thing that should matter is your own performance and not letting your mates down. Really, any other consideration is a loss of focus. Yes we can romanticise the game as fans but to these men it is their all. To everyones shame sadly because in the end it is only a game.

Are you gonna be the one?
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Re: Inspirational...

FortiusQuoFidelius wrote: no doubt containing his thermos of coffee
And heavily laced with rum, (how else would he have survived as a Saints supporter).

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
FortiusQuoFidelius wrote: no doubt containing his thermos of coffee
And heavily laced with rum, (how else would he have survived as a Saints supporter).
+1 , or some beer ofcourse... thats how i think ive survived.

mcadam05
Club Player

this was the Hook Cartoon that was in the Sun the monday following the flag in 66
Very much in the theme of this post :wink:

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

mcadam05 wrote:this was the Hook Cartoon that was in the Sun the monday following the flag in 66

That's Rogerwa. He turns 115 this year :wink: !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

FortiusQuoFidelius wrote:Today I was driving along King Street before the game watching many of the Saints supporters on their weekly trek to Etihad Stadium to watch their heroes go into battle.

Whilst stopped at the lights at Little Bourke Street I noticed an old man of about 80 waiting to cross King Street, dressed up in his Saints gear, complete with 2011 members scarf and cap.

He appeared to be struggling to walk the distance from where he parked his car, burdened by the weight of the bag he carried, no doubt containing his thermos of coffee, a sandwich and a couple of pieces of fruit to both refresh him after his walk and sustain him during the game.

I have no doubt that this guy adores the St Kilda Football Club and it is unfortunate that the passion he obviously has for the club is not reflected by the playing group on the field.

If only the players had seen this guy today, struggling against the weather, his age, the weight of his carry bag and the traffic on King Street just to see his heroes play, I'm certain the inspiration they could have drawn from him may well have changed the result today.

It's a pity that the players dont see this side of their fans more often. I'm sure if they did see what some of their fans go through to watch them they would have an entirely different outlook on the game than they currently have.

Keep it up old man and I sincerely hope the Saints can deliver you another flag before you become too old and frail to make that trek I saw you on today.

FQF
You'd think Jason Blake would have parking at the ground.

Furtius Quo Rdelious
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

FortiusQuoFidelius wrote:Today I was driving along King Street before the game watching many of the Saints supporters on their weekly trek to Etihad Stadium to watch their heroes go into battle.

FQF
Don't you know anything? That was saint66au :roll: :wink: !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

mcadam05 wrote:this was the Hook Cartoon that was in the Sun the monday following the flag in 66

So who has found the hook?