Mentally "up" for 7 years ... and what AFL history

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Legendary
Club Player

Mentally "up" for 7 years ... and what AFL history

There's a core of 10-15 blokes in this group who've been mentally "up" for 7 years, since 2004.

They have basically believed they are good enough to win it, and they've fallen short in 7 out of the last 7 years.

It's got to take it's toll eventually. At some point there is a level of mental fatigue where the effort is going to drop off ... at anything in life, there's only so long you can persist unless you see results.
It's called being human.

We've gotta be realistic. We've had 2 really really serious chances at winning a premiership and we haven't.

Sometimes that's life - you do your absolutely blood best and it's not good enough. That's the way it goes.

History tells us that you can't ask for 2 GF's in a row ... lose both ... and then expect another chance straight away.

Basically through the expertise of our coaches, the committment of our playing group and a little bit of luck we were given the opportunity to win a flag ... twice ...

But we didn't.

And it's unrealistic to expect that we would defy history and challenge for a third year in a row. It's probably defying the human psyche too.

So we now re-load, we back the ability of our coaching staff and the current playing group to address the situation, and we take a longer term view ... look to the next 3-5 years.

Collingwood finished bottom 4 in 2004 & 2005 ... a couple of years after playing in 2 GF's.

They reloaded just like we will do and built the nucleus of their next premiership squad from that time down the bottom. Just like we can do.

Time to keep the faith ... we really have had the "ride of our life" since 2004. Part of us must be thankful.

Now it's about the future.

saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

The post of the night by a country mile..thank you ;-)

Never take a backward step even to gain momentum.....

'It's OK to have the capabilities and abilities, but you've got to get it done." Terry Daniher 05

"We have beauty in our captain and we have a true leader in our coach. Our time will come"
Thinline.Post 09 Grand final.
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

I agree. But I'd add that if we're smart, we still have time. Might make the eventual trough a little deeper, but it can be done.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
NoMore
Club Player

As i have said before. It is in our blood to miss opprtunities.

I have seen us be genuine chalenges 4 times

90/91/92 then again we should have won in 97 then in 04/05 we should have got one and then again in 09/10.

A club with a winning culture wold have won at least 2 of them. A club like Hawthorn might have won 4.

I'm sorry and it kills me to say it.

We are losers.

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

May Ross have the serenity to accept the things he cannot change, Courage to change the things he can, And wisdom to know the difference.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
remboy
SS Hall of Fame

This is what hurts me the most. We've been contenders for the last 7 seasons and we've got nothing to show for it. I remember Paul Roos saying when the Swans won their flag that you don't usually win flags by having one good season, you had to string a number of them together and when everything aligned you'd get your opportunity. Why don't things ever seem to align for us? Every time we get close something stuffs up.
Still, I've been a supporter for a lot of years and I'd rather the last 7 years than go through 79-86 again.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
linz
Club Player

NoMore wrote:As i have said before. It is in our blood to miss opprtunities.

90/91/92 then again we should have won in 97 then in 04/05 we should have got one and then again in 09/10.

A club with a winning culture wold have won at least 2 of them. A club like Hawthorn might have won 4.

We are losers.
Even your user name suggests you're not very optimistic about life. Get over it. We can now look forward to seeing some new kids having a go & we'll have another crack soon. Sooner than you think I'm sure.

I once spent a year in Adelaide, I think it was on a Sunday.
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

No more, please don't trot out that CULTURE word. That's a load of nonsense. Carlton were full of dickheads and criminals in the 80s and won flags. Collingwood went 32 years losing countless GFs but no-one questioned their culture. Did Sydney take 100 years to win a flag becuase of their culture, and do the Bulldogs have a culture issue because they can't get past preliminary finals?

The word is a cliche that's been dumped on St Kilda because the club was a failure during the 80s, and a few people attributed it to the fact thet we had a disco at the club, when the rality was that the club had crippling debts due to the construction of the grandstannd at Moorabin in the 60s.

For the best part of the past 20 years our club has been stable, well run and for had for the most part a commited and professional group of players.

Culture my arse!

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: Mentally "up" for 7 years ... and what AFL his

Legendary wrote:Time to keep the faith ... we really have had the "ride of our life" since 2004. Part of us must be thankful.

Now it's about the future.
Yep, no flag but we've had a pretty good run.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

We are losers.
Speak for yourself.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

NoMore wrote:As i have said before. It is in our blood to miss opprtunities.

We are losers.
Your attitude is appallingly s***. This post is the icing on a large cake.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
NoMore
Club Player

Yes the Bulldogs are in the same boat as us

Sydney were and it took something major to pull them out of it. Namely an unbelievable coach and a group of leaders rivaled by few in the games history.

Being criminals has othing to do with winning culture. Carlton expect to win that is why they won flags. They believe it is there birth right. As much as i hate to say it Eddie, Mick and that scum Maxwell have turned collingwood around. Maxwwell tells the players not they can win but they will win and for some reason they believe it

Hawthorn for the last 50 years believe if they make it to a GF they will win it because as a club that is what they have done for 50years

West Coast are the same, as well as Essendon.

It is sad but we are not in the same boat

georgie girl
Club Player

Mentally tough call for the team to come up again after 3 GF losses in 2 years. Remember Geelong lost many Grand Finals and then came back to win some and remain a force. Don't write the Saints off yet!

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

NoMore wrote:...91/92 then again we should have won in 97 then in 04/05... then again in 09/10....
Agree with all that (and you could add 71), but not you conclusion which is simply the result. In fact, we are jinxed. No team has come so close to two flags in consecutive years (09/10) and lost both. I blame plugger66.

But on the OP, I think you are pretty right. If we remember that so much of the game is played in the mind, then today is the culmination of so much heartache. I can barely bring myself to think about it and I only sit in the stands and pontificate. Imagine the poor bloody players. In reality, our shot was in 2009 where we underperformed on the big day. Last year we over performed, until GF2 anyway. Now we are about six players away from being a threat, because some have just reached the end of the road, a couple after magnificent service, like Jason Blake and Steven Baker. Stephen Milne is also near the end, and was stiff not to be AA at least once. Whilst the cry will go up "play the kids", the problem is none of the kids are much good. They might replace very average players but none of the top six or eight. Alas, with GC and WS, even finishing low does not bring any reward anymore, unless it's last. We might give it a shake.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

So if the ball had bounced into Milne's arms at the end of the GF last year, our culture for the past 20 years would be considered as completely different?

Grand final wins are not the be all and end all in relation to winning culture. Playing finals on a consistent basis is a more reliable reflection of it, and based on this, since 2004 we have had a winning culture.

I think that you can really only judge a football club by their recent era, as all those who went before lived unnder a very different environment. Every club has had their share of failure. The professional era only really started in the 70's, so I think it's fair to judge the current group of teams within that time frame. All teams ahve ahd a mix of success and failure in that period, with maybe one or two exceptions.

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:
NoMore wrote:...91/92 then again we should have won in 97 then in 04/05... then again in 09/10....
Agree with all that (and you could add 71), but not you conclusion which is simply the result. In fact, we are jinxed. No team has come so close to two flags in consecutive years (09/10) and lost both. I blame plugger66.
Collingwood fans had it pretty tough for a while there.

4 points in 64
1 in 66
10 in 70 (having led by 44)
Draw in 77
5 in 79

didn't even mention 60, 80 or 81

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:

But on the OP, I think you are pretty right. If we remember that so much of the game is played in the mind, then today is the culmination of so much heartache. I can barely bring myself to think about it and I only sit in the stands and pontificate. Imagine the poor bloody players. In reality, our shot was in 2009 where we underperformed on the big day. Last year we over performed, until GF2 anyway. Now we are about six players away from being a threat, because some have just reached the end of the road, a couple after magnificent service, like Jason Blake and Steven Baker. Stephen Milne is also near the end, and was stiff not to be AA at least once. Whilst the cry will go up "play the kids", the problem is none of the kids are much good. They might replace very average players but none of the top six or eight. Alas, with GC and WS, even finishing low does not bring any reward anymore, unless it's last. We might give it a shake.
Surely it isnt all my fault?

NoMore
Club Player

cwrcyn wrote:So if the ball had bounced into Milne's arms at the end of the GF last year, our culture for the past 20 years would be considered as completely different?

Grand final wins are not the be all and end all in relation to winning culture. Playing finals on a consistent basis is a more reliable reflection of it, and based on this, since 2004 we have had a winning culture.

I think that you can really only judge a football club by their recent era, as all those who went before lived unnder a very different environment. Every club has had their share of failure. The professional era only really started in the 70's, so I think it's fair to judge the current group of teams within that time frame. All teams ahve ahd a mix of success and failure in that period, with maybe one or two exceptions.

GF wins are it
They are everything
They are the only thing that determines success

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:..Surely it isnt all my fault?
I'm afraid so. It's a cross that you will just have to bear. If only you had been nicer or not been a subscriber to the Herald Sun.

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

NoMore wrote: GF wins are it
They are everything
Sounds like you have other issues. Please don't breed.

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:
plugger66 wrote:..Surely it isnt all my fault?
I'm afraid so. It's a cross that you will just have to bear. If only you had been nicer or not been a subscriber to the Herald Sun.
Sorry.

NoMore
Club Player

satchmo wrote:
They are everything
I have other issues

Sorry would u like a participation award

Winning is everything

Anyone who says otherwise is kidding themselves

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Its just a shame that we have to wait even longer. But hey the saints could only blow the chances we have had.

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Onya! A LEGENDARY post indeed! I felt Bloody awful (still do) but your sentiments give me back some faith and a wee bit of backbone too for the struggles to come!!!

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

NoMore wrote:
satchmo wrote:
They are everything
I have other issues

Sorry would u like a participation award

Winning is everything

Anyone who says otherwise is kidding themselves
You are a sad see you next tuesday if you define yourself by a football team and think the only success in life is winning foorball matches.

What a sad deluded life you must have led :roll:

BTW OP right on. We are done.

It is over.

Time to let this year go, blood some kids, get a couple of decent dp's and have another crack before the nucleus of this current team is too old.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)