Rhys Stanley

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Rhys Stanley

I just watched the Sandy game. After reading all the posts the last few weeks I expected Stanley to be hopeless. I actually thought he played well.

Not sure why all the negging.

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

The main thing I took away from Stanley's game was his inability to take a mark. He dropped a couple sitters that a guy who aspires to play as a key position in the AFL should swallow.

Apart from that, he moved pretty well, and used the footy OK once he got it. I'm not convinced he's an out-and-out ruckman, but probably shouldn't shut that door for a few years yet.

GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

Played as a ruckman against Coburg and was well trounced in the hit-outs.

If allowed to use his speed and height in the forward line, it would have been a different story.

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.
MadSaintFan
Club Player

Im with you on this one Con. Battled hard in the ruck and ran well around the ground. Picked up alot of handballs through good positioning. Sandys homeground is tiny which really restricts his running and speed. Dropped a few marks but that will come.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

MadSaintFan wrote:Im with you on this one Con. Battled hard in the ruck and ran well around the ground. Picked up alot of handballs through good positioning. Sandys homeground is tiny which really restricts his running and speed. Dropped a few marks but that will come.
He's been in the system for, what, three years and you're still waiting for him to be able to catch? Surely you're taking the piss?!

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
maverick
Saintsational Legend

You guys are searching hard for positives.
He wasn't hopeless, but he was OK at best.
He is certainly a project, I just wonder where he will end up playing full time. I hope he doesn't end up a Kepler Bradley.

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Re: Rhys Stanley

Con Gorozidis wrote:I just watched the Sandy game. After reading all the posts the last few weeks I expected Stanley to be hopeless. I actually thought he played well.

Not sure why all the negging.
Think they're trying to be Cocky/Funny

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Maybe it's just his style, but he comes across as laid back to me.

Saintersss
Club Player

He's into his 3rd year, he's played about 7 senior games and his body is getting pretty mature. He should be dominating Sandy, instead he is picking up about 5-10possessions and isn't even in the best 10 players.

Not to mention that you think his internal suspension would have given him a kick in the arse and the fact that we need a player exactly like him in the team right now.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Saintersss wrote:He's into his 3rd year, he's played about 7 senior games and his body is getting pretty mature. He should be dominating Sandy, instead he is picking up about 5-10possessions and isn't even in the best 10 players.

Not to mention that you think his internal suspension would have given him a kick in the arse and the fact that we need a player exactly like him in the team right now.
His body is not getting mature at all. He's as skinny as a rake, another Matty Lappin, without the skills.

Rhys will be a good player, but at 200cm needs to put on about 6kg to be competitive in the ruck.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
stkildathunda
SS Hall of Fame

Rhys Stanley needs to become as big and imposing as Charlie Dixon from the Gold Coast. That kid is a monster and is only 19, plus he can actually play up forward..

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
Saintersss wrote:He's into his 3rd year, he's played about 7 senior games and his body is getting pretty mature. He should be dominating Sandy, instead he is picking up about 5-10possessions and isn't even in the best 10 players.

His body is not getting mature at all. He's as skinny as a rake, another Matty Lappin, without the skills.

Rhys will be a good player, but at 200cm needs to put on about 6kg to be competitive in the ruck.
What if I told you he was advised to keep his body as it is now.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

I thought he looked quite a bit bigger than last year.

Maybe it was just the Sandringham guernsey.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I am sure he is closer to 203cm than 200cm now. He would be the tallest player on our list, as well as being one of the fastest.

NoMore
Club Player

Stanly is not hopeless but i think what people were saying on here including me is that he has done nothing this year or last to suggest he deserves a regular senior game.

How ever in saying that we should all remember that generally ruckmen don't mature till there mid to late 20's and with him being rather skinny(has bulked up considerably from last year) he will more than likely be a late maturing type.

Oh yeah and i am not sure that being a ruckmen with that much speed is nessecarily the advantage everyone is making it out to be

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Looks like hes cruising. Sometimes he dishes it off and u think mate just have a run. noone will catch you. Small ground really hurts him though.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

NoMore wrote:Oh yeah and i am not sure that being a ruckmen with that much speed is nessecarily the advantage everyone is making it out to be
dean cox would be the one to look at. is he actually quick? or is he just smart enough to get where the ball is? i don't know the answer to that question, but it seem likely that rhys needs to improve his smarts one way or the other.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

stkildathunda wrote:Rhys Stanley needs to become as big and imposing as Charlie Dixon from the Gold Coast. That kid is a monster and is only 19, plus he can actually play up forward..
C Dixon is 200cm and 105kg at 19. Thats friggin frightening.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Maybe it's just his style, but he comes across as laid back to me.
Agree. But needs to go and play AFL for a bit.

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

You've just got to put him in there and see how he goes. We can't mess around, just get him in, reckon he's noticeably bigger than last year. If there's no Kosi this week he must be played, especially against Essendon who are reasonably tall and obviously fast.

Could see a forward line with; Kosi, Stanley, Nick, Milne, Steven, Gamble (with Kosi also in the ruck and Milne rotating through the centre like Schneider) - reckon it would be pretty lethal with Nick leading to one wing and Stanley to the other, and Kosi in the middlle.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

yeah people say oh stanley didnt enough when nick was out last year. he was copping the best defender much of the time.

lets see how he goes with the 3rd or 4th best defender on him.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Stanley is still young and will probably need around 10 games a year for development until he puts his hand up for regular selection. I can see him in a paddy rider type role when fit enough. Drift forward from the ruck exploit his size and mobility. Worth the wait but just doesn't look like he is ready this year.

My impression is that he looks confused about what he should be doing, his highlight reel on youtube looks like he is a gifted natural but in the games he has played, struggles a bit with rigid structure.

MadSaintFan
Club Player

Thinline I'm definatly not taking the piss, but considering it was his 2nd match back from club suspension and given the fact hes just turned 20 Im prepared to overlook some errors and look at the positives. What does everyone expect from this kid? Hes 200cm but that doesnt automatically means hes going to dominate. Its fairly obvious he was drafted at pick 50+ because he has some flaws - these will take time to iron out.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

MadSaintFan wrote:What does everyone expect from this kid?
good question. last week i set par for archer in his first game at:

8 touches, 4 marks, 1 scoring shot

stanley will play a similar role, though with a little more time in the ruck, i'd say. he's played a few more games than archer and is more naturally talented, so it's fair to expect a little more from him.

i'll be happy if we see:

12 touches, 5 marks, 2 scoring shots, 3 tackles

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Coach's obviously been reading SS :wink: