Ok so here's a thought for Ross

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

fingers
Saintsational Legend

Ok so here's a thought for Ross

After watching most of the games on the weekend the one stand out for me was that our guys just don't seem to be having any fun at all. They are not enjoying their football.

I'd love Ross to give the guys some freedom. Still do the prep and the training etc but loosen up the game plan. Play 6 forwards. Let them find their football instinct again. Let them freakin smile for a change.

Use the year to experiment with a new game plan. Blood 4 or 5 kids. Let the team mentally and physically refresh and prepare for a massive assault in 2012, 2013.

It's a game FFS. It's meant to be fun. It's not fun anymore - not for me anyway. I can only imagine how mentally drained the players are.

Shaggy
Club Player

We have made 3 grand finals in the past two years.

It may not have been fun because we lost but we have been very close.

I doubt the approach is about to be abandoned because we lost to Geelong which has been the dominant team past four years and then we drew with Richmond because we kicked badly.

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

You must of been watching footy classified tonight too

I agree with GT and yourself on this occasion

Bring back the Lockett era
fingers
Saintsational Legend

jonesy wrote:You must of been watching footy classified tonight too

I agree with GT and yourself on this occasion
Actually didn't see it - what was said?

And Shaggy I don't disagree but like I've said before there are only so many times you can ask players to go back to the the well and replenish. I think with the GF losses and the off field stuff our players have been asked too often.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Ok so here's a thought for Ross

fingers wrote:After watching most of the games on the weekend the one stand out for me was that our guys just don't seem to be having any fun at all. They are not enjoying their football.

I'd love Ross to give the guys some freedom. Still do the prep and the training etc but loosen up the game plan. Play 6 forwards. Let them find their football instinct again. Let them freakin smile for a change.

Use the year to experiment with a new game plan. Blood 4 or 5 kids. Let the team mentally and physically refresh and prepare for a massive assault in 2012, 2013.

It's a game FFS. It's meant to be fun. It's not fun anymore - not for me anyway. I can only imagine how mentally drained the players are.
I would love to know what you mean by blooding 4-5 kids. If that includes players like Steven, Stanley and Lynch I am all for it but if that means 4 to 5 plus them it is far to much. It is conceding this year which to me concedes that the window is shut.

IMO 2012 will be tough to challenge with Lenny and Milney either finished or close to it, 4 or 5 definately finished like Blake, Baker, MG ond one or two others plus guys like Joey and Rooy getting older and past the improvement stage. 2013 will be impossible.

We still have a chance this year. The world hasnt ended yet. Can we at least wait a couple more weeks to see what happens. I am all for change this week but lets not go over the top. Maybe Lynch and Steven this week and see what happens. Not sure any brand new players deserve a game anyway especially after seeing the reserves on Saturday.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
fingers wrote:After watching most of the games on the weekend the one stand out for me was that our guys just don't seem to be having any fun at all. They are not enjoying their football.

I would love to know what you mean by blooding 4-5 kids. If that includes players like Steven, Stanley and Lynch I am all for it but if that means 4 to 5 plus them it is far to much. It is conceding this year which to me concedes that the window is shut.

IMO 2012 will be tough to challenge with Lenny and Milney either finished or close to it, 4 or 5 definately finished like Blake, Baker, MG ond one or two others plus guys like Joey and Rooy getting older and past the improvement stage. 2013 will be impossible.

We still have a chance this year. The world hasnt ended yet. Can we at least wait a couple more weeks to see what happens. I am all for change this week but lets not go over the top. Maybe Lynch and Steven this week and see what happens. Not sure any brand new players deserve a game anyway especially after seeing the reserves on Saturday.
I agree but Plugger we can at least afford to blood one young player which would be either Cripps or Ledger if their form warrants it.

Steven is a cert over the next couple of weeks.

Lynch, Smith and Heyne should be good to go at some stage.

Leave Stanley in the seconds. He hasn't done anything.

Wholeslale changes should only be made in the second half of the year if we have no hope of making the eight. I'm talking up to 8 changes from the team who played on the weekend.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

The positives for 2012 & 13 will be live footy on TV plus hopefully more day games because we will be crap making it in all more family friendly!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
fingers
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

They are exactly who I am talking about. So "blooding" probably the wrong term. I am not conceding the window is shut at all. Nor do I think that this year is gone by any means.

I just think the team needs to mentally refresh, find some energy and spark. And if we add some new life to the team then 2012 and 2013 are still on the cards.

But then again - WTF do I know :)

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Someone should tell them it's not much fun watching from the stands in September.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Here we are wasting all this money in coaching.. When the answer is more fun.

Winning is fun.

If they want to have fun and run around as they wants like a superstar under 14's player well they can do that at another club.

They play as they are coached. If they can't well they are not good enough.

bergsone
SS Life Member

Spinner wrote:Here we are wasting all this money in coaching.. When the answer is more fun.

Winning is fun.

If they want to have fun and run around as they wants like a superstar under 14's player well they can do that at another club.

Maybe RL should take to timezone or something.Fun starts after the game singing the song,always have more fun after a win :lol:

FortiusQuoFidelius
Club Player

Spinner wrote:Here we are wasting all this money in coaching.. When the answer is more fun.

Winning is fun.

Agree wholeheartedly... they aren't playing well so they obviously aren't coached well!

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

It's amazing how one little act can completely define where our club's at right now.

Ok, here's the scenario, Archer goes back and slots that goal in the last quarter. The 17 other guys get around him to congratulate and encourage the first-gamer, and all of a sudden we're all happy again.

Gram's post match interview is all about "great win, good feeling around the club, still improving fitness etc." and come Monday's TV shows nobody is blinking an eyelid at the Saints.

But because he missed, all of a sudden, we should be making 10 changes, Lenny will never walk again, RL should be sacked, we'll finish bottom 4 and be the only team Gold Coast will beat all year, and 30 guys on our list are battling clinical depression.

I'm as dissapointed as anyone with the way we're playing at the moment, but there's still 26 weeks till grand final day, so I'm keeping the faith just for now.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

FortiusQuoFidelius wrote:

Winning is fun.

Agree wholeheartedly... they aren't playing well so they obviously aren't coached well!
30 scoring shots says they are being coached well, 17 behinds says they are kicking poorly.

Unless you want Ross to kick the goals too? :wink:

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Partially true St Chris, but a tiny win Vs a crap team isn't cause for much excitement.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Winning is fun.

Not what I mean.

They will play as the coach sees fit.

Whether its fun... tough... or brutal.

If anyone wants to have a social kick around. Go join the Ammo Thirds.

fingers
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:

Winning is fun.

Not what I mean.

They will play as the coach sees fit.

Whether its fun... tough... or brutal.

If anyone wants to have a social kick around. Go join the Ammo Thirds.
Maybe I didn't present my view very clearly. I'm not suggesting that they should play a game of kick and giggle, but rather release some football instinct. The way we play must be mentally taxing - add that to the last 2 years and those bastards must be knackered.

markmark
Club Player

Totally agree with you fingers I know where you’re coming from. Everyone has got a creative side to them and Ross seems to be holding their freedom back. He seems to be treating them like machines “Robotsâ€

Bring it on
MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

saintspremiers wrote:
The positives for 2012 & 13 will be live footy on TV plus hopefully more day games..........making it in all more family friendly!
Yes I'm all for more day games - and players might have more fun playing in daytime - if they win :shock:

No Contract, No contact :shock:
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

[quote="markmark"]Totally agree with you fingers I know where you’re coming from. Everyone has got a creative side to them and Ross seems to be holding their freedom back. He seems to be treating them like machines “Robotsâ€

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

From what I have seen of the players at training etc, they have fun. That is the bulk of their week.

On match day if they were winning they would look like they were having more fun.

Bit hard to look happy I guess when some know they are out of form.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
fingers
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:From what I have seen of the players at training etc, they have fun. That is the bulk of their week.

On match day if they were winning they would look like they were having more fun.

Bit hard to look happy I guess when some know they are out of form.
Good point SR.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Good call St chris. We beat Essendon this week and no one will remember saying they doubt we can make the 8 and it will be game on again.

The fans are usually not as easily spooked as the media, but we are all being pulled down in the media's need for a story of woe. We can win on sunday and then stop bitching. So far I have heard that a team that got to 3 GFs is ready to cull around half their passengers? I was starting to think I was the only one that hadn't written the season off.

The Linton Street Flash
Club Player

Great post by the OP - couldn't agree more.

It starts with the ridiculous PR materials that the club put out as part of their membership drive with the players posing with these stupid serious expressions on their faces - as if it is meant to mean that they play better, or take the game more seriously.

FFS who sucked all the joy out of this game? when did it become so friggin' life and death?

All this joyless crap culminates in a round 1 game plan against a seriously undermanned team where winning at all costs becomes the mantra - shut down and play dour nothing football and win - great plan, shame we lost - shame we got what we deserved.

It's about time someone got a grip and put this game back into perspective - it's a game FFS, it's entertainment and as amusing as it is to see a bunch of grown men posing with sublimely ridiculous mean expressions on their faces - it certainly aint' convincing.

It didn't fool Geelong, it didn't fool Collingwood and it aint' fooling me.

Relax, enjoy and who knows, we might even win!

Look again it's the Flash!!
Moods
Saintsational Legend

Is this thread for real? Since when do you see anyone 'happy' on the footy field? Maybe half time of the Auskick. Maybe when you're 10 goals up in the last 1/4 of a GF. The happiness comes with the winning feeling after the game. Footy IS life and death at this level. If you don't think it is you are kidding yourself. When our team is struggling to stay in the game against a bottom team, I don't want to console myself with, 'at least they're having fun' I want someone to run through an opposition player.....

AS for the game plan's not fun anymore. What a load of crap. Am I the only one who noticed we kicked 14 goals on the weekend and missed numerous sitters. Stop quoting the papers and the media ppl and open your eyes. WE are losing b/c our very best players are out of form, (Roo, BJ, Joey) and ppl underestimate how much we need a valid 2nd tall option and how much we miss Schneider. WE are not going to be top dog forever (or 2nd top dog) and some of our players are getting older. Yes we need an injection of youth, and we need those players to show something when they come into the team.

Our game plan is sound, and is the basis of the reigning premier and virtually every other team. RL, in my opinion, is in the top 3 coaches in the league. Let's not throw the nbaby out with the bath water.