My thoughts from todays Magoos..And changes for next game.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bigred
Saintsational Legend

My thoughts from todays Magoos..And changes for next game.

I cant recall ever looking forward to a Sandringham match as much as I did today. And I must say, I found it to be a very enjoyable afternoon.

I know there is a match day thread, but I think now that the game has been played we can pick over the bones of what we can gain from it.

It was a decent game, reasonable standard and both sides really had a crack. Free flowing, attacking teams.

There were several positives, and a few negatives of course.

The injury to Geary, if his leg is broken will pretty much ruin his year.
Cahill went down early with a quad.

A really good thing that this game gave us was Tommy Walsh spending a lot of time on Brad Miller. He competed very well all day. I think only one of Miller's goals came while Tommy was on him. I think Walsh only made one disposal error all day. At one stage he took the ball and ran off half back, took a bounce and kicked a mongrel onto someone's chest. He is gaining confidence. He most definitely has the body of an A grader. Very strong man.

Jack Jack Steven showed some real desperation at times and put his body on the line often. Something we really lacked in the seniors last night. Close to best afield for Sandy IMO. Had a red hot crack. Converted a couple of nice goals and ran ALL DAY in a side that only had two on the bench from the ten minute mark of the first quarter. He did very well. A big positive.

Tom Lynch was given b.o.g by the media, and I reckon he deserved it. Spent the day across half back and used the ball very well. Maybe butchered it twice, but he ran to the right spot repeatedly and was constantly there to receive and be the link out of the backline. He read it well coming in too, in pretty windy conditions, especially in the first half.

Cripps was decent. I hoped for more due to the fanboi's on this site. He was good, turned it over too many times. Had a soft tissue issue, like a glute or upper hammy. I dont think he would be risked even if he starred. We had a few blokes cramp up late due to the workload they all carried. You can see from his runs that he should be a player though, and soon.

Winmar got into it late into the second quarter. He made some glaring poor decisions and his disposal let him down. Cramped up in the hammy's late. Will be better for the run though. Is thereabouts, but he's not near a senior game by a long way. Simple as that.

Heyne came into the game in spurts. But when he did he kicked, or was involved in scoring shots. He kicked two early I think. Did pretty well but drifted in and out.

Stanley was...competitive in the Ruck and he rucked the whole game. Again, he had some minor cramping late and copped one in the goulies early in the last. He got completely OWNED around the ground though. Hardly got a touch and looked pretty average when he got it. Will need a couple more games IMO. He has stacked on some weight though. Looks in great shape.

Smith was OK. Disposal was on par with the standard. He runs well though. Should get a game in the first half of the year. He is a definite fringe senior player IMO...If you were gonna give Baker a rest, I think you would be looking @ Smith,

Will Johnson was a surprise. Played FF/CHF all day and presented very well. He looked very comfortable in his role, kicked three and a couple were from long range. A good game from him and I was impressed. He could be a player, and must be developing. Another positive.

Siposs was OK. Again in patches. He is a sublime kick of the footy from a set shot though. Seriously kicks 55m+ with ease. His late goal in the last quarter was an absolute pressure kick from long range and it was never going to miss. If he can develop a solid defensive side we have a good HFF right there.

Mini butchered, really butchered the pill. If he comes in again we have something wrong. And I mean really wrong. There is no way his form justifies a senior call up.

So what does this mean for the senior side?

If Lynch had not of had such a good game I would not be saying this, but he should come in for Dempster and play the same half back role. He was very good and actually hit targets. That would be my first change. Dempster should not retain his spot on Friday nights form. I really hope we reward some of these young blokes for a change.

So change one: Lynch for Dempster.
He looked the most comfortable I have ever seen him go around. And why the hell not. He couldn't do any worse than Dempster top scoring for Richmond.

Change Two: Kosi for Archer.
Stiff for Arch, but this is a no brainer. Releases Archer to Sandy to ruck and would free up more forward time for Stanley who needs more game time.

Change Three: Schneider for Peake.
I would probably keep Peake as the Sub. Hell with the way I feel about him I would drop Gram for Schneider after last nigh.

Change Four: Steven for Lenny.
Deserves it. He is going to be a real player IMO. Has stacked on some weight and looks absolutely ready.

Why we need to change it up like this?

We are as stale as week old bread. For the love of god please bring in a couple of younger guys to breathe some new life into us. Some enthusiasm please. We have so much dead weight at the moment it is dragging us down like concrete boots.

I feel much better after watching the game today.

Thank you for your time.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
busso mick
Club Player

Thanks for your informative report bigred. The form of our young guys sound very promising and some at least sound like they deserve a game in the ones. The hard part will be convincing our selection panel that they are worthy of a guernsey, instead of our very conservative approach on a Thursday night with the brains trust.

Jack Steven sounds like a straight swap for Lenny and maybe Schneider for Archer. Lets hope that Tommy gets the promotion to the big league for Lenny's LTI spot.

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

Thanks for the update bigred. I would like to see Archer get another game, Steven and Stanley get a decent go.

But what I think will happen is Mcqualtrt for Lenny and kosi for archer, same old same old

I love this club
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Stillwaiting wrote:Thanks for the update bigred. I would like to see Archer get another game, Steven and Stanley get a decent go.

But what I think will happen is Mcqualtrt for Lenny and kosi for archer, same old same old
And IMO so it should be after 2 games. Lets see what happens after that game. Steven will play when fit. Nothing written today suggests he is fit enough yet.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Stillwaiting wrote:Thanks for the update bigred. I would like to see Archer get another game, Steven and Stanley get a decent go.

And IMO so it should be after 2 games. Lets see what happens after that game. Steven will play when fit. Nothing written today suggests he is fit enough yet.
He ran the game out. Two men on the bench from ten minutes into the first.

He's fit.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

He's fit.
Well if he is fit he plays. Hopefully you are right because unlike some here he is one of very few who can be an A grader.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

On the back of that game, you would pick him.

Confidently.

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

Fair enough comment, but I am concerned about the lack of willingness to introduce some youth that I think we need. And with the great Lenny gone for a while, I would rather the opurtunity be given to a kid rather than someone like mcqcualter who has not been up to it for the last year.
Archer should stay to

I love this club
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

He's fit.
Jack had a lot of work done on his groins during his breaks and Misson said to him during the second quarter "I'm not interested in your fitness, I know you're fit, how's the groin?"

He's not ready for Essendon. Give him another week at Sandy and then let him loose.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
bergsone
SS Life Member

Anyone rate Simpkin game looked good ,saw bout half game and thought he doesnt look far away from seniors

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

Fair call bigred, and I'd back your ins and outs. One thing though, Johnson kicked four.

Simpkin did some nice things but I had the impression he didn't get near the pill as often as Walsh.

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
matrix
Saintsational Legend

nice work red :)

schneides has another week i think.
geary injured too? damn

pretty much agree with your 'outs'

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

thanks bigred. awesome post.

St Lenny
Club Player

Was Ross there?

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

St Lenny wrote:Was Ross there?
Yes watched the whole game...visibly enjoyed it including the finish.

From what I can recollect the entire coaching panel was there, plus some players like Kosi.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Ross, Hutchy, Michael n, Misso, Kingy, and others from medical and football dept,
Kosi and partner +-, milney, Raph, Gamble, joey, polo, dempster, ledger, zac, archer and others from the saints.

Ross was busy eating his lunch whilst checking on Cahill and Geary ")

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
SaintSimmo
Club Player

saintbrat wrote:
Ross, Hutchy, Michael n, Misso, Kingy, and others from medical and football dept,
Kosi and partner +-, milney, Raph, Gamble, joey, polo, dempster, ledger, zac, archer and others from the saints.

Good on them (especially the players), like to see the teammates supporting each other. :D

Sainter for life.
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

SaintSimmo wrote:
saintbrat wrote:

Good on them (especially the players), like to see the teammates supporting each other. :D
Yes. Like this. Great report BR!

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
stinger
Saintsational Legend

Re: My thoughts from todays Magoos..And changes for next gam

bigred wrote:I cant recall ever looking forward to a Sandringham match as much as I did today. And I must say, I found it to be a very enjoyable afternoon.

I know there is a match day thread, but I think now that the game has been played we can pick over the bones of what we can gain from it.

It was a decent game, reasonable standard and both sides really had a crack. Free flowing, attacking teams.

There were several positives, and a few negatives of course.

The injury to Geary, if his leg is broken will pretty much ruin his year.
Cahill went down early with a quad.

A really good thing that this game gave us was Tommy Walsh spending a lot of time on Brad Miller. He competed very well all day. I think only one of Miller's goals came while Tommy was on him. I think Walsh only made one disposal error all day. At one stage he took the ball and ran off half back, took a bounce and kicked a mongrel onto someone's chest. He is gaining confidence. He most definitely has the body of an A grader. Very strong man.

Jack Jack Steven showed some real desperation at times and put his body on the line often. Something we really lacked in the seniors last night. Close to best afield for Sandy IMO. Had a red hot crack. Converted a couple of nice goals and ran ALL DAY in a side that only had two on the bench from the ten minute mark of the first quarter. He did very well. A big positive.

Tom Lynch was given b.o.g by the media, and I reckon he deserved it. Spent the day across half back and used the ball very well. Maybe butchered it twice, but he ran to the right spot repeatedly and was constantly there to receive and be the link out of the backline. He read it well coming in too, in pretty windy conditions, especially in the first half.

Cripps was decent. I hoped for more due to the fanboi's on this site. He was good, turned it over too many times. Had a soft tissue issue, like a glute or upper hammy. I dont think he would be risked even if he starred. We had a few blokes cramp up late due to the workload they all carried. You can see from his runs that he should be a player though, and soon.

Winmar got into it late into the second quarter. He made some glaring poor decisions and his disposal let him down. Cramped up in the hammy's late. Will be better for the run though. Is thereabouts, but he's not near a senior game by a long way. Simple as that.

Heyne came into the game in spurts. But when he did he kicked, or was involved in scoring shots. He kicked two early I think. Did pretty well but drifted in and out.

Stanley was...competitive in the Ruck and he rucked the whole game. Again, he had some minor cramping late and copped one in the goulies early in the last. He got completely OWNED around the ground though. Hardly got a touch and looked pretty average when he got it. Will need a couple more games IMO. He has stacked on some weight though. Looks in great shape.

Smith was OK. Disposal was on par with the standard. He runs well though. Should get a game in the first half of the year. He is a definite fringe senior player IMO...If you were gonna give Baker a rest, I think you would be looking @ Smith,

Will Johnson was a surprise. Played FF/CHF all day and presented very well. He looked very comfortable in his role, kicked three and a couple were from long range. A good game from him and I was impressed. He could be a player, and must be developing. Another positive.

Siposs was OK. Again in patches. He is a sublime kick of the footy from a set shot though. Seriously kicks 55m+ with ease. His late goal in the last quarter was an absolute pressure kick from long range and it was never going to miss. If he can develop a solid defensive side we have a good HFF right there.

Mini butchered, really butchered the pill. If he comes in again we have something wrong. And I mean really wrong. There is no way his form justifies a senior call up.

So what does this mean for the senior side?

If Lynch had not of had such a good game I would not be saying this, but he should come in for Dempster and play the same half back role. He was very good and actually hit targets. That would be my first change. Dempster should not retain his spot on Friday nights form. I really hope we reward some of these young blokes for a change.

So change one: Lynch for Dempster.
He looked the most comfortable I have ever seen him go around. And why the hell not. He couldn't do any worse than Dempster top scoring for Richmond.

Change Two: Kosi for Archer.
Stiff for Arch, but this is a no brainer. Releases Archer to Sandy to ruck and would free up more forward time for Stanley who needs more game time.

Change Three: Schneider for Peake.
I would probably keep Peake as the Sub. Hell with the way I feel about him I would drop Gram for Schneider after last nigh.

Change Four: Steven for Lenny.
Deserves it. He is going to be a real player IMO. Has stacked on some weight and looks absolutely ready.

Why we need to change it up like this?

We are as stale as week old bread. For the love of god please bring in a couple of younger guys to breathe some new life into us. Some enthusiasm please. We have so much dead weight at the moment it is dragging us down like concrete boots.

I feel much better after watching the game today.

Thank you for your time.
great post...informative....thanks mate...

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

Fantastic report mate.Agree with your changes and hope each is a reality on Thursday night.I would also consider give Walsh a run and dropping Blake or Raph.Needed to read some postive stuff ..thanks again ;-)

Never take a backward step even to gain momentum.....

'It's OK to have the capabilities and abilities, but you've got to get it done." Terry Daniher 05

"We have beauty in our captain and we have a true leader in our coach. Our time will come"
Thinline.Post 09 Grand final.
defacto
Club Player

really good post. only change i would make is dropping baker for scheinder, rather than peake.

baker is 30/31 (could be wrong) he is struggling to keep up with the pace of the game. his football smarts are getting him over the line.

GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

Watched the game too.

BigRed spot on in his analysis and his change suggestions.

All we need is Kosi and Schnieds fit.

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.
CeilidhSaint
Club Player

Agree except McQ spotted up leading forwards a few times and hit them lace out so don't agree he butchered it. He didn't do enough though.
However on yesterday's "form" which is a long way different from what spots are available in the team it was definitely Lynch, Steven, Johnson, Walsh as the standouts.
Lynch has always been mooted as our mysterious 3rd Hammill tall but maybe that has changed......is he more of a back man?

TB 1 - The Brightest Light on the Darkest Night - we miss you.
Think Globally, Act Sainterly
I have Phil Narkle's helmet
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

CeilidhSaint wrote:Agree except McQ spotted up leading forwards a few times and hit them lace out so don't agree he butchered it. ?
You missed all the ones he missed then.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Re: My thoughts from todays Magoos..And changes for next gam

bigred wrote:
Thank you for your time.
Good post, however your changes are just like for like.

I don't mind the ins and outs in as far as they go, but for mine we are still playing one or two many defenders...and the defenders we have seem incapable of playing forward.

ie both Gilbert and Blake when moved forward have looked unconvincing...ditto for Fisher last year.

So for mine we need to omit one or more of our defenders.
We need another runner in the team...and maybe someone like Johnson on a HFF.