Archer should play again this week

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The Sainter
Club Player

Archer should play again this week

Surely he must get another game this week. i know his stats were not great but he had a go, moved okay and seems a player of the future. I know Ross does not give young players much of a go but we have no hope of making the top 4 this year so what have we got to lose?
If we are relying on Kosi and Gardiner to be our saviors God help us. One is at least 30 and keeps getting injured while Kosi has been so inconsistent for years now and as so many have said this week on the forum youth is our only way to go now. We will suffer defeats along the way for sure but the experience for younger untried players will be invaluable in our quest for that elusive flag.
No future in playing Baker, Dempsey, Jones, Blake, McQualter and Peake from now on.
Sentiment cannot come into it, hard decisions must be made.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Agree. I would have played Stanley ahead of him but once the decision has been made and they made the call on Archer they should stick with him now. Once ur picked u should get 2 or 3 games to show what u can do and adjust to the speed of the game. One game and dropped isnt fair.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Hard to disagree with these posts. Archer (and Stanley for that matter) need game time and expereience and the only way to get this is to PLAY. In all honesty we are looking SO predictable, that a couple of new boys may be what we need to freshen up our side.

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Re: Archer should play again this week

The Sainter wrote: we have no hope of making the top 4 this year so what have we got to lose?
You obviously were not around in 1997. Ridiculous comment to make after round 2, and I would not play Archer again.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

I was around in 1997. and I WOULD play Archer again.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Archer deserves a few games, and looking at Stanley today, I would think that Archer is safe.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:Archer deserves a few games, and looking at Stanley today, I would think that Archer is safe.
Not if Kosi plays.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:I was around in 1997. and I WOULD play Archer again.
So, you also think we have no chance of making top 4 too?

Muir_32
Club Player

Archer should play again next week for sure.
What do you have against him, Bernard?
I thought he did ok against Richmond.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Playing the way they played last night and last week I'd find it difficult to see them making the eight. However my support for giving Archer an extended chance in the side doesn't mean I think we have NO chance of making the eight come SEASON'S END. There are another twenty odd games to play yet.

spert
Saintsational Legend

I reckon Archer could be the new Milan Faletic and should stay in the side- Kosi as the Sub

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
spert wrote:Archer deserves a few games, and looking at Stanley today, I would think that Archer is safe.
Not if Kosi plays.
kosi back after bye. pretty sure that been the position all along? and he might need a week at sandy to get some match fitness. certainly wont be rushed in this week. and i wouldnt play kosi ff in any case.

wasaintsfan
Club Player

ill play :P i got a nice big kick and solid mark... just dont ask me to run... screw that :P

The Sainter
Club Player

Hey Bernard I was around in 66 and saw them win it but if Ross keeps rewarding his favorites who are going very ordinary with walk up games it will be quite a few years before you get that chance to also see them win it, and I certainly want all Saint supporters on this forum to have the same thrill that I had that day.
I said top four not the 8 but you won't win the flag from down there.
Best of luck to Lenny in his recovery, one of the best players i have ever seen in a St Kilda jumper in my 60 years of watching them.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Agree. I would have played Stanley ahead of him but once the decision has been made and they made the call on Archer they should stick with him now. Once ur picked u should get 2 or 3 games to show what u can do and adjust to the speed of the game. One game and dropped isnt fair.

i agree...and he at least marked the ball in his first game and didn't let it bounce off his noggin.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
degruch
Saintsational Legend

Re: Archer should play again this week

Bernard Shakey wrote:
The Sainter wrote: we have no hope of making the top 4 this year so what have we got to lose?
You obviously were not around in 1997. Ridiculous comment to make after round 2, and I would not play Archer again.
Agree, agree and agree. Unfortunately for Archer, bad timing, with Schnieds and/or Kosi most likely inclusions this week.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Archer is a more mature player than Stanley despite his age. Just looks like he wants to contest everything. Stanley still looks a little relaxed when he is in the team. Waits for others to do his work for him.

Stanley will be a good player but needs to realise he is responsible for his on field and off field actions. he has the tools just needs application.

Archer is way ahead of where I would have expected.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Stanley looks like a basketballer trying to play football. He has no idea how to use his body in ruck contests easily gets pushed aside. I would say his only hope is as a forward, but I would like to see a bit more intensity from him. Archer would seem to be the pick of the two so far and should be given every chance.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Sorry, but right now, Archer is rubbish.

VFL for the next 12 months - probably two years - and then take another look.

I cringed every time he went near it.

No comparison between him and Rhys Stanley.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

defacto
Club Player

evertonfc wrote:Sorry, but right now, Archer is rubbish.

*sigh*

i cant be bother replying to this. can someone explain stanleys vfl form?

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Reading through this thread it's hard to believe all the posters have been watching the same player......

Opinions aren't really worth much when they vary by that amount.....

Definitely an unknown quantity is Archer but Ross thinks he has something so we'll have to wait and see......

Remember, Grant Thomas thinks Kosi has something but we're still waiting to see it..

Will we pick up a player in the SSP window :?:
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

defacto wrote:

*sigh*

I will.

In the dying moments of last week's game, Stanley would have been running around in very rapid little circles in the wrong pocket before leading to the wrong spot and tripping over his own feet.

Archer, did the opposite.

So you're right, Everton, there is no comparison.

Archer showed some nuts. He led up. He ran hard. And not just once.

His kicking stank, but he's not on his Pat Malone there.

Stanley, at present, spends too much time enjoying having the wind blown up his arse by people who reckon he's already what they want him to be when in fact he's so far behind that point it's embarrassing.

I dearly hope Stanley comes good and achieves something for us. But if he doesn't pull his finger out and compete weekly at the Zebs so as to give the Seniors selectors some semblance of a reason he may be better served going somewhere where his hype will something or someone in return.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:
defacto wrote:

*sigh*

Dear me :roll:

Stanley has shown glimpses of talent. Yes, they're only glimpses, but it's something to work with that can come good in the next year or so.

I don't see it in Archer.

He reminds me of a poor man's Fergus Watts, only less mobile and with worse kicking skills. Not saying he won't make it, but boy, does he need to learn some basic skills.

Don't forget, we picked him up on the rookie list. That's probably about the level I see him at right now - two years away from playing AFL-standard football.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:
Thinline wrote:
defacto wrote:

*sigh*

Dear me :roll:

Stanley has shown glimpses of talent. Yes, they're only glimpses, but it's something to work with that can come good in the next year or so.

I don't see it in Archer.

He reminds me of a poor man's Fergus Watts, only less mobile and with worse kicking skills. Not saying he won't make it, but boy, does he need to learn some basic skills.

Don't forget, we picked him up on the rookie list. That's probably about the level I see him at right now - two years away from playing AFL-standard football.
If Archer's two year's off, I'd say Stanley's got four to get through.

On current form, that is.

And if Stanley's shown genuine glimpses I was blinking at the time.

Nada but hot air.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

The Sainter wrote:Hey Bernard I was around in 66 and saw them win it but if Ross keeps rewarding his favorites who are going very ordinary with walk up games it will be quite a few years before you get that chance to also see them win it, and I certainly want all Saint supporters on this forum to have the same thrill that I had that day.
I said top four not the 8 but you won't win the flag from down there.
Best of luck to Lenny in his recovery, one of the best players i have ever seen in a St Kilda jumper in my 60 years of watching them.
Yeah I was there 24 September 1966 and it was a great day and night for a sixteen year old.

You said "we have no hope of making the top 4 this year".
The only reason I mentioned 1997 is because we started dreadfully and finished on top. I'm not interested in top 8, I'm interested in a premiership and Daniel Archer is not going get us there this year. If you haven't noticed he's a big bodied boy. Please note the term boy. Big boys take much longer to develop both physically and mentally.

Ben McEvoy is nearly 22, Archer will be 20 in October. Ben is just becoming a reasonably good ruckman/forward. Archer is a couple of years away from being AFL ready. I hope he does become a regular player, but he aint ready yet.

We do need to introduce youth to our playing group, but a slow dinosaur like Daniel Archer is not the answer. Cripps, Ledger, Smith, Ferguson, Winmar,Siposs and Crocker, these are the blokes we need now.