Riewoldt

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Saint Pup
Club Player

Riewoldt

Might sound a little strange but just a little idea I had. It seems whne teams can they will have 2-3 players peeling off to cover Riewoldt when he is playing deep forward. Which as we have seen is a major problem for us.

Now remember a few years back Leigh Matthews threw Johnanth Brown into the middle of the ground? Matthew Pavlich also spends a bit of time playing a on ball roll. Then when Richo got moved up onto a wing in his last few years. Could we do the same kind of thing with Riewoldt?

No doubt he would have the tank to do it and from the middle he could float forward thus making it harder for teams to double/triple team him. Not saying we should 100% do this. Just a little idea to think about.

GET UP AND ABOUT SAINTERS!
Saintersss
Club Player

So everyone is complaining we don't have enough players who can score up forward, so we put our best goal scorer in the midfield...

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I thought the opposite, he was getting a lot of footy around the 45-50, and was not comfortable kicking from there at all.

We didn't have a target deep enough (though Milne worked very hard to be I thought)

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Riewoldt was terrific playing up the ground in 2003-05, but in those days we had Gehrig and Hammill at their best in the forward line.

If we didn't have Riewoldt as a key target up forward,we'd be at a total loss!

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift