Get over yourselves!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

Richter wrote:First quarter - Gilbert plays up forward and is involved in half the scoring efforts.

In the second half he moves back never to return to the forward line.

?
He cried to Ross that he doesn't want to play there and if he has to then he'll take his bat and ball and go home?

FFS I've said it enough in other threads, you'll play where the boss tells you to play and the boss should instill the confidence to do so!!!

jmcp
Club Player

St. Luke wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:What are you drinking/smoking St Luke?

Can I have it?
At least I'm not swallowing the bulls*** that we're done and dusted! It's round 2 ffs! I get more annoyed reading about the moron doomsayers on this site who pop up out of the woodwork whenever things get a bit bumpy! I wonder, truly I do, as to why people think we have this loser mentality! Just unreal! deadset dickheads!

And yes, our game-style has become predictable and out-dated!
2 points from 2 games. a points differential of -1. i thought the geelong game was always going to be a 50/50 result. there's 22 weeks to go and a truckload can happen in that time. round 8 is better indicator of how things are likely to stand at year's end.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Richter wrote:First quarter - Gilbert plays up forward and is involved in half the scoring efforts.

?
Exactly. Ross tends to stick to these new moves for about 5 minutes, but as soon as the going gets tough, he reverts back to what's been done previously, instead of working through the tough times and coming out the other side.
In the end it basically leaves us back where we were when he realised he needed to make that move in the first place and we slip further and further behind.
He seems to be torn between making moves that will help us in the short term versus making moves that will help us long term.
Our forward line was functioning extremely well when Gilbert was up there (for the first 1.5 quarters, including 10 shots for goal in the first) and Roo hardly touched it after Gilbert went back (freeing up someone to double team Roo).
If you believe in a move, you need to stick with it and do what it takes to ensure it happens. Chopping and changing is just likely to f*** with Gilbo's mind and leave us vulnerable.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

I love exclamation marks okay!!!!! :D

Hell, I thought we'd have at least 1 Premiership by now, I thought we were going to win it last year, and certainly thought we'd have won it the year before that. So with that in mind I'm not comfortable in suggesting we'll walze it in this year ;) But I do believe we can give it a very good shake! I still think we can go toe to toe with Collingwood and beat them, but our game plan needs to change, not our players.

We definately looked more dangerous in the first qtr tonight. Our style of attack was something the players didn't appear overly comfortable with, but it worked. Then Richmond added the pressure in response to that attack and we clambered back to our old ways. I think we will see some exciting new changes this season. But it'll take us time to perfect. Round 2, not round 22 folks! ;)

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Re: Get over yourselves!

St. Luke wrote:Richmond played with a real hunger tonight! It was Essendon-like! And for 4 quarters of footy they gave everything! For our first quarter we tried another approach! Run with risk! And for awhile it worked! Worked long enough before the Tigers realized they'd lost their major scorer in J Rewoildt!

Early days! Take the 2 points and suck it up! All this shyte about rebuilding and gawn is total and upper crap! We've got a smart team, a smart coach and at this adolescent stage of the season we need to understand we're evolving a different approach! Stupid to say we're not learning as we're traveling!

Richmond is certainly an up and coming side. And why wouldn't they be after years of failure? Kudos to them!

My only concern is we seem to be relying purely on Milne! He runs his guts out for virtually every possession! Every goal snagged by the tip-rat is hard fought!..... But who else are we aiming for to kick the goals??? Roo is often rebounding out from half-back, he's not easy-spread jam ffs!! For the first time in a long time I now realize the full importance of Kosi! Bring him on!
we are Gorn. We have had our 4 years in the sun and didn't take the big prize and with the introduction of the new sides our picks will be sparse , we may be up again, hopefully in about 15 yrs. We will have to "suck that up"

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

If that's how it eventuates, then so be it. You'd have to be a brave man to suggest we're completely out of the hunt by Round 2. Unbelievable!

Anyone can quite comfortably suggest we won't win it this year, and neither will 16 other teams. So play the odds and feel smart about, but don't write us off because of a Round 2 draw.

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

Ps: you'd all be crowing and strutting around the place, and still bagging out players, even if we'd hung in in Week 1, and booted an addition point last night. Really miserable bunch of sooks. Quite frankly I'm glad we're finding a few issues at this stage of the season rather than getting big-heads and thinking we have no competitors other than the usual 4 or 5 teams out there.

Johnny Favier
Club Player

lefty wrote:Put simply, we should of put Richmond to bed after the first quarter.... but again as usual, we cannot kick straight and we paid the price.

That's that problem. Kicking for goal is woeful.
And that's it in a nutshell.

We can whinge all we want about our game plan sucks etc... but the plain truth is that bad kicking for goal is costing us dearly.

With straighter kicking, we'd be on 2 wins and would have 2 extra flags in the trophy cabinet by now. Simplistic maybe, but they are the bald facts.

Fix the goalkicking and we're suddenly looking a whole lot better..

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Not sure how kicking for goal cost us last year, Johnny.
Unless I'm greatly mistaken, it was Collingwood who kicked very poorly for goal in the first half of the first GF last year.
We had enough in reserve to get back into it because they didn't put us away during that half, but if they'd kicked well it would most likely have been a "cakewalk" for them in that game and there would have been no "Part 2".

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
Johnny Favier
Club Player

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:Not sure how kicking for goal cost us last year, Johnny.
Unless I'm greatly mistaken, it was Collingwood who kicked very poorly for goal in the first half of the first GF last year.
We had enough in reserve to get back into it because they didn't put us away during that half, but if they'd kicked well it would most likely have been a "cakewalk" for them in that game and there would have been no "Part 2".
That's a fair point - but we can only look after our own backyard and if we could tighten up on the goalkicking, then that would make our lives a lot easier.

It wouldn't take much - just an extra 2 or 3 goals a game with our game style can make all the difference.

I'm not saying it's the panacea for everything but more wins = greater confidence and then better things flow on from there.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Favier wrote:
AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:Not sure how kicking for goal cost us last year, Johnny.
That's a fair point - but we can only look after our own backyard and if we could tighten up on the goalkicking, then that would make our lives a lot easier.

It wouldn't take much - just an extra 2 or 3 goals a game with our game style can make all the difference.

I'm not saying it's the panacea for everything but more wins = greater confidence and then better things flow on from there.
It sure would. Our inability to kick straight from set shots under the roof at the Dome has been hard to stomach in recent seasons. I think it is die to a combination of two factors.

1) Our defensive style of game is very tiring and players are often struggling to get their heart rates down and concentrate when they are taking set shots.

2) Too many of our players have vulnerable or weak kicking techniques and these can tend to disintegrate under pressure in front of goal: Riewoldt, Lenny, CJ, Gilbert, Dempster, Peake, Blake, Gram, etc.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

?
+1

how conservative is our coach? he seems to be only able to deal with change in small doses. than it just freaks him out and he cant stomach it and goes back to his stock standard.

just cant handle change.

ffs be bold and stick with gilbo fwd. embrace the change. dont fear it. love it.