3 Decisions That Cost The Club History

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

asiu
Saintsational Legend

because lb was gt's love child , i was told

check out the eyes !

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:
barks4eva wrote:Butterss coached Judd in under 14's and urged Thomas to take him BEFORE Ball, but Thomas wanted his love child first!

What?!! The president getting involved in the draft because he coached a 13yo old kid!!

You're kidding right?
The president wasn't involved in the draft Johnny, just that he suggested that in his opinion we should use our first pick on Judd, but obviously he had no say in the final decision!

Having coached Judd in the under 14's RB had seen enough to know in his opinion Judd should have been our first selection!
Hilarious.

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

gazrat wrote:because lb was gt's love child , i was told

check out the eyes !

Any word on the DNA results, are they in yet?

As if making Ball our second highest paid player on $600,000 ( more money than Lenny Hayes ) wasn't a give away!

FAIR DINKUM

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
barks4eva wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:
barks4eva wrote:Butterss coached Judd in under 14's and urged Thomas to take him BEFORE Ball, but Thomas wanted his love child first!

What?!! The president getting involved in the draft because he coached a 13yo old kid!!

You're kidding right?
The president wasn't involved in the draft Johnny, just that he suggested that in his opinion we should use our first pick on Judd, but obviously he had no say in the final decision!

Having coached Judd in the under 14's RB had seen enough to know in his opinion Judd should have been our first selection!
Hilarious.
Maybe Rod was Judd's Scout Master as well.

Knew he could tie a mean knot as a 13 year old :D

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Prediction: Zac to keep Jack to under three goals...

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

At the end of the day......good vs bad......

Our drafting has been pretty bad, could argue with evidence that its been costly....

We have lost more than we have won...

Magic, are you fair dinkum about the ball judd scenario....are you saying that we pre-empted what another club woul do and make a decision based on that

Would we not just worry about pick 2 and take the best player available at that pick, then at pick 5....

I studied that draft at the time as it was the first draft where payer stats from tac cup and school footy, plus u18 champs were availabe, and the media hype around that draft

I was hoping we woul get judd at 2 and hodge at 5.....imagine that....but with Ball going at 1 to hawthorn.....

We had 6 picks in the top 50, 4 inside 21
I wanted 3 mids within the first 4 picks....very keen on joel mcdonald with a later pick...

I had Ball rated at 1
Judd 2
Hodge 3
Bartel 4
Reilly 5
Elstone 6
Dal santo 7
Clarke 8
Ladson 9
Gram 10
then

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Don't know what all the fuss is about. We did recruit the big gun forward from Tasmania.

C'mon down Daniel Archer :D

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

I was a member oif the 'Thommo CLub' at the time (as were others on this forum) and that's what Beveridge said at a 'gathering' in the rooms at Moorabbin that night.

He went further.
He stated that the WCE person actually smiled at him when they announced Judd's name at pick #3.

You can choose to believe what you like, but John Beveridge said it.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Well in that case, john beverige has made an amateurish decision with a future ten year player, most likely superstar....

No wonder they laughed at him...ffs

That is the most stupid mistake, based on an unprofessional process in the clubs recent history......i would prefer, that the club just rated ball (like i did) higher... To hear that they preferred judd, but took ball in a bid to get both, based on intell, is a joke, surely....

No wonder we have made so many stuff ups with obvious draft blunders in the past....

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Well in that case, john beverige has made an amateurish decision with a future ten year player, most likely superstar....

That is the most stupid mistake, based on an unprofessional process in the clubs recent history......i would prefer, that the club just rated ball (like i did) higher... To hear that they preferred judd, but took ball in a bid to get both, based on intell, is a joke, surely....

No wonder we have made so many stuff ups with obvious draft blunders in the past....
They rated BOTH of them. They just believed they could snare both if they took Ball first.

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

How sweet
AFL_JasonPhelan Jason Phelan
by HarfTimeSEN
Hodge, Ball & Judd - 1,2,3 in '01 super draft - had dinner last night to celebrate Judd being first to 200 games
@tony2fones
Tony Sheahan
@AFL_JasonPhelan And all have premiership medallions to prove their worth......will Hodgey remain the one club player of the trio?

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Our recruiting has been so terrible over the last decade that in the last seven years we have made 5 preliminary finals and played off in three Grand Finals. Disgraceful! Sack the lot of them!

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti23 wrote:Why did we take Riewoldt when we could have had Luke Livingstone.

Why did we take Goddard when we could have had Salopek

Why did we take Dal Santo when we could have had Shane Harvey

Why did we take Montagna when we could have had Henry Playfair

Why did we take Jimmy Gwilt when we could have had Ben Schwarze ( a brother and a cousin of players at that time)

Why take Sam Fisher when we could have had Brent LeCras.
This is the best response.

It seems ridiculous to be dwelling over draft picks dating back 10 years. Talk about self-flagellation :roll:

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Well in that case, john beverige has made an amateurish decision with a future ten year player, most likely superstar....

Agree must be true. It was said by a person on an internet forum. Please tell me you are joking.

kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

White Winmar wrote:Our recruiting has been so terrible over the last decade that in the last seven years we have made 5 preliminary finals and played off in three Grand Finals. Disgraceful! Sack the lot of them!
But if we'd taken Jack Riewoldt we could have been as successful as Richmond.

Furtius Quo Rdelious
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

We do realise we have made 5 prelims on the back of

Finishing last or thereaboats in 2000-2002......

And because of that snaring
Gehrig, hamill, voss, riewoldt, kosi, powell, black, penny, gram, ball, x, dal santo, maguire, goddard.......not bad

Adding to the existing
Harvey, hayes, thompson, peckett, hudgton, jones....again, not bad

Since
We have done a couple of valuable trades
Schnieder, gardiner

Milne, samf and gwilt came out of no where to become guns

But whom since 2006 has become a star???

Btw.....jack riewoldt isnt the reason richmond are hopeless..wallace would be.....but jack maybe a big reason as to why the will get better
Martin, cotchin, foley, edwards, delidio, vickery, conca, morton, rance, connors.....and a few others....they have a good young nucleus

spert
Saintsational Legend

A feature of our finals failures since and including 1997 has been the unwillingness of Saints coaches to take a risk -throwing players around in different positions to stimulate play. Compare that to Sheedy and Blight- they played players out of position in finals to get play happening, and the gamble took off. I am a bit worried that RL will not step outside the box and try something different..he could have tried it last week.

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

It's Hawthorn's fault... they got cold feet on Ball (who they clearly rated #1) but due to the backlash from members from trading Croad they went for Hodge who was able to play in 02.

The Beveridge scenario is correct... At least it's correct in AFL recruiting circles.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Of course we should have got Jack because he is Rooy's cousin. Doesnt matter that probably not one person on here saw him play more than one game or our forward line at the time didnt need a player like him. He is rooy's cousin. Havent heard many hero's say we should have got Jack's brother lately but there were plenty saying we should have before the draft. Again I doubt anyone saw that guy play more than one game.

Must say I find it funny when people claim they would have picked so and so and then say they mentioned it before the draft. They then fail to mention the hundreds they get wrong. Hindsight is a wonderful way of recruiting.
Correct.

Add to that - Im fairly certain Riewoldt of the Jack variety played his games in the backline during his final year.... Wasnt even touted as a forward.

Im fairly certain he played backline for Tas in the carnival.

So were we looking for a backman? Or did people on here predict he would turn into a superstar FF??

funny....thought for sure i saw him kicking goals.....i'm with barks on this...i could not believe we passed on him...this family are all sporting stars...whether it be cricket, football or marbles....ffs........

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
Spinner wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Of course we should have got Jack because he is Rooy's cousin. Doesnt matter that probably not one person on here saw him play more than one game or our forward line at the time didnt need a player like him. He is rooy's cousin. Havent heard many hero's say we should have got Jack's brother lately but there were plenty saying we should have before the draft. Again I doubt anyone saw that guy play more than one game.

Must say I find it funny when people claim they would have picked so and so and then say they mentioned it before the draft. They then fail to mention the hundreds they get wrong. Hindsight is a wonderful way of recruiting.
Correct.

Add to that - Im fairly certain Riewoldt of the Jack variety played his games in the backline during his final year.... Wasnt even touted as a forward.

Im fairly certain he played backline for Tas in the carnival.

So were we looking for a backman? Or did people on here predict he would turn into a superstar FF??

funny....thought for sure i saw him kicking goals.....i'm with barks on this...i could not believe we passed on him...this family are all sporting stars...whether it be cricket, football or marbles....ffs........
Who are the other stars apart from Jack and Rooy. By the way how did Jack's brother go in the draft afterall he is from a star sporting family. Maybe he is into marbles.

And how many games did you see Jack play?

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

humble, fair, & honest is danny.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Moods
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:
I had Ball rated at 1
Judd 2
Hodge 3
Bartel 4
Reilly 5
Elstone 6
Dal santo 7
Clarke 8
Ladson 9
Gram 10
then
Yes but who are you to rate them? Unless you are rating them in hindsight which clearly you are not, how would you have the first clue as to who the best footballer was?

I love my footy, read as much as I can, coached for a bit and played for most of my life. BUT unless I am employed as a talent scout at an AFL club I would hazard to guess that my opinion on who should be drafted 1st 2nd 3rd or 4th holds as much credibility as just an average supporter (which is what I am) Let's not get carried away and pretend we know who should have been drafted and at what pick.

These guys watch literally 1000's of hours of junior footy. Not to mention physiological and psychological testing data at their disposal. To second guess them based on a few U tube clips or having watched them play a couple of TAC games is nearly insulting I reckon. To put out your own list (based on what exactly?????) is really the height of arrogance.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Jack played fwd in the carnival....was moved behind the ball, and into the midfield during floggings....was seen as a potential afl 3rd fwd as he wasnt as tall as a buddy franklin....i guess the underestimated the fact he can take a grab, and jump......sometimes the tape needs to be ignored, when a kid can play

Played ff for clarence in the tfl, and for tas in the vfl...

Then for coburg in the vfl

Now for richmond in the afl

Was always a ff

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

1. Archer plays FF tonight and kicks a lazy 6 goals.

2. Armo gets 32 touches and is BOG.

3. This thread is locked.

:D

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:

You're kidding right?

A good mate of mine played with Judd in the U18s and is close friends with him. He told me that he'd be a freak and was far better than anyone else in that draft.

He felt Judd was the standout that year in the draft, Hodge second then Ball behind him.

Anyone, what's done is done!

I wonder if we made a big play for Judd the second time around when he went to Carlton?