Pride before the fall

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Saint Pup
Club Player

Pride before the fall

Anybody read "Pride before the fall" in last nights record? Very well written but hit very close to home for me. Really does sum up why I keep coming back to the footy. The thrill when Goddard marked and goaled was just amazing...

GET UP AND ABOUT SAINTERS!
Sainterman
Club Player

I didn't read that article but the Goddard mark would have to be the most bittersweet moment in all my years of watching footy.

I so thought we had it won at that moment...I allowed myself to believe we were there...I grabbed my mate next to me and said "this is it, enjoy this right now" as he looked stunned. A moment of elation, I think it lasted about 93 seconds.

Now it pains me to see that mark again, even a photo of it hurts.

I hope we can get ourselves together and start playing some smarter footy, we have the tools, not sure we have recovered from the last 2 years though. Certainly been hard to recover as a supporter and games like last night really only add salt to the wound.

I wonder how other Saints supporters feel about that moment...

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

yeah me too ... at that stage is was rocking back and forth willing the siren to go .. it was a moment of great bliss to think if only for a minute we had it won ...

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Wow, something actually worth reading in a footy record these days. Who woulda thunk it? :shock:

Yet to read above mentioned article. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

This is very well written piece. I pretty much felt the same sort of emotions the writer describes of the duration and aftermath of the drawn GF.

I also discovered the writer, Murray Middleton, has the same name as a childhood friend of my brother's. My brother hasn't been in contact with him since they were both pre-schoolers, but I remember having conversations about the Saints with his father who was a die hard supporter.

Thanks for bringing it to my attention, Saint Pup.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
yipper
SS Life Member

That mark and goal left me with legs shaking in excitement - thought we were home. We were all over them, coming home with a wet sail!! Had tears streaming down my face - Lenny's heroics, Goddard was superb. WTF happened?? still can't believe it . Just get sick feeling in the tummy everytime I think back to that day. For 1 whole minute I believed. I experienced a premiership for 1 effing minute!!!

Anyway, they gave their all that day - no doubt. I am back because I know they will give their all again.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

yipper wrote:That mark and goal left me with legs shaking in excitement - thought we were home. We were all over them, coming home with a wet sail!! Had tears streaming down my face - Lenny's heroics, Goddard was superb. WTF happened?? still can't believe it . Just get sick feeling in the tummy everytime I think back to that day. For 1 whole minute I believed. I experienced a premiership for 1 effing minute!!!

Anyway, they gave their all that day - no doubt. I am back because I know they will give their all again.
Spot on yipper :wink:

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

I knew we weren't home. I said to my old man straight away that there was too much time left.

We'd scored so quickly that we left ourselves open to a comeback. It came.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107