Game Plan Same Old Same Old..?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Middo
Club Player

Game Plan Same Old Same Old..?

Yeah first game and everything but gee I'm so frustrated at watching the style of play with the same players doing the same thing week after week , year after year. Next week is a massive chance for the team to be injected with some speed and new faces who dont worry about taking someone on and playing safe. We need an injection of youth and excitement and not the same old same old. Stanley , Crocker , Cripps , Steven, Ledger and Smith can't do any worse than a number of the guys out there tonight. We are not going to get the improvement we need with the players out there tonight...... Baker , Mini , Peake , Jones and Dempster Vs the guys mentioned...wonder where the improvement is .. ????

Jack Newnes happy to be a Saint !!!! PS and to hit a target !!!
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

get used to it...

Ross doesn't make changes...he loves the incompetent...

The list changes for 2025 have begun, always an interesting time for an avid supporter.
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Wasn't this mentioned a month ago....but suddenly come r1....we were going to click....

Warning signs were apparant.....we were not even making changes to our style in practice games....or personnel for that matter

The Sainter
Club Player

I agree with the 5 players you said could be replaced. Yes, it's time to bring in some younger players with leg speed for starters but i would not like to be holding my breath waiting for it to happen.

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

What is Ross going to do about the double tag on Roo? He's got to do something to help free him up? Tonight hardly showed a new, high scoring/attacking game plan. It's a bit of a worry.

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
Middo
Club Player

The Sainter wrote:I agree with the 5 players you said could be replaced. Yes, it's time to bring in some younger players with leg speed for starters but i would not like to be holding my breath waiting for it to happen.
Trouble is the same team goes out next week and beats Richmond and all is rosy , we need to spank Richmond with an injection of new talent .

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Yes the geniuses that wanted change all insisted that Gamble play. Wow, big difference that made. He looks small in stature, light in build, and light on in the courage stakes if that marking contest in the last 1/4 is anything to go by. Bottom line is these supposed young guns had better start stepping up to the plate and fast. Why throw in a bunch of kids who can't play consistently well at VFL level? I would give Ledger, Cripps and Winmar a go in the next 6 weeks. Stanley has to demand a spot, but on the dismal efforts by Gamble tonight he'll probably get a game by default.

I thought Armo went okay tonight, and showed a bit more.

Middo
Club Player

Moods wrote:Yes the geniuses that wanted change all insisted that Gamble play. Wow, big difference that made. He looks small in stature, light in build, and light on in the courage stakes if that marking contest in the last 1/4 is anything to go by. Bottom line is these supposed young guns had better start stepping up to the plate and fast. Why throw in a bunch of kids who can't play consistently well at VFL level? I would give Ledger, Cripps and Winmar a go in the next 6 weeks. Stanley has to demand a spot, but on the dismal efforts by Gamble tonight he'll probably get a game by default.

I thought Armo went okay tonight, and showed a bit more.
Think Gamble will be ok once we have another tall target and yes his one handed effort was ordinary in the last. Think about the blokes who have been in the team over the last two years who did the same stuff again tonight. Youth vs GOP's.... Armo stays !!!

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:Yes the geniuses that wanted change all insisted that Gamble play. Wow, big difference that made. He looks small in stature, light in build, and light on in the courage stakes if that marking contest in the last 1/4 is anything to go by.
Generally I absolutely agree that McQualter, Jones, Peake etc should not get preference over kids who actually outperformed them in the pre season, but Gamble is worth persevering with for a while. He isn't a full forward (which is how he was played tonight) and could be a useful third/forth marking option alongside Roo, Kosi and one of Goddard/Gilbert/Archer/Stanley/Lynch. He should effectively take over McQualter's role of the past couple of years while actually kicking 25-30 goals. Of course there is a chance he could turn out to be the new Charlie Gardiner and in that case Lynch should get a shot.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Hes not much chop

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:
Moods wrote:Yes the geniuses that wanted change all insisted that Gamble play. Wow, big difference that made. He looks small in stature, light in build, and light on in the courage stakes if that marking contest in the last 1/4 is anything to go by.
Generally I absolutely agree that McQualter, Jones, Peake etc should not get preference over kids who actually outperformed them in the pre season, but Gamble is worth persevering with for a while. He isn't a full forward (which is how he was played tonight) and could be a useful third/forth marking option alongside Roo, Kosi and one of Goddard/Gilbert/Archer/Stanley/Lynch. He should effectively take over McQualter's role of the past couple of years while actually kicking 25-30 goals. Of course there is a chance he could turn out to be the new Charlie Gardiner and in that case Lynch should get a shot.
But he doesnt chase or tackle so the ball comes out to easily.

saintlarry
Club Player

Would you be frustrated at watching the style of play if, say, Blake didnt screw with about a minute left, or if that free kick hadnt gone against Dempster with about 30 seconds left, leaving us with a win?

Frankly, I'm more annoyed with
-Goal kicking accuracy
-Sklls in general
-And the fact that WE SHOULD HAVE FRIGGIN WON.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:But he doesnt chase or tackle so the ball comes out to easily.
He did try. Just let too many tackles slip and was outran by some of Geelong's quicker defenders. Ended up with 4 tackles, could have been 8 if he had a bit more upper body strength.

wasaintsfan
Club Player

all well in good brining young talent in... but they have to be defensive aswell as attacking.... most kids lack that... thought it was highlighted in nab cup that they were playing like downhill skiers???

Middo
Club Player

saintlarry wrote:Would you be frustrated at watching the style of play if, say, Blake didnt screw with about a minute left, or if that free kick hadnt gone against Dempster with about 30 seconds left, leaving us with a win?

Frankly, I'm more annoyed with
-Goal kicking accuracy
-Sklls in general
-And the fact that WE SHOULD HAVE FRIGGIN WON.
Mate if you were not frustrated in the first half with our style of play ur kidding yourself..it's about winning a flag and with that shite that was dished up tonight we are getting further away from what we want. I was looking forward to a great game and we got an ugly boring contest which we normally win , but when it comes to the crunch we fall short time and time again like the first Granny last year. Same Old again... Ps think you answered your own question with what your annoyed with !!

Middo
Club Player

wasaintsfan wrote:all well in good brining young talent in... but they have to be defensive aswell as attacking.... most kids lack that... thought it was highlighted in nab cup that they were playing like downhill skiers???
So just go with what we have the last few years then...????