Changes for the start

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Exactly. I think Smith is a huge chance to play round one, considering the game time he got in the NAB Cup. I like the look of him.
As for Jack, Hutchy said in the interview this week on SEN that he's had a couple of minor injury setbacks in his 5-6 weeks away from the club, so all things considered, I don't think he's likely to play in the first couple of rounds, by which time Schneider is due back.
As for Archer, Ross seems to really be impressed with him, so he's surely some chance, although I hope Rhys is ready to go and that we don't need Archer, especially in the ruck.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:I must watch different games but from what I have seen if Archer plays then we are in trouble. These are practice games and he struggled to influence them. All I can really go on is last year in fair dinkum stuff and he played nearly as much in Sandy seconds than firsts. I rather Blake or underdone Stanley.
I feel a bit the same way about Lynch. If posters consider Armo still has a lot to prove, then where is Lynch right now.....?

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
saintslegendLH
Club Player

bergholt wrote:
gringo wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if one of Crocker or Cripps, Ledger etc. got a go just to freshen the team up, but unlikely. Jack Steven would be as likely as any of them.
surely alistair smith would be more likely than any of the names you've mentioned here? he's actually played in all the nab cup games.

I agrree with this but in my opinion cripps has a small chance, i think ledger and lynch have a very strong chance

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Any of the kids have a specific role against Geelong a couple of weeks ago? I can't remember, but if they did, and did it well....they would be a strong chance.

saint58
Club Player

PJ wrote:Predictions on who's going to get the first round nod ahead of last years brigade

Gamble - would have to be the most obvious

Archer - if elevated could be back up for Macca

Stanley - if Archer isn't elevated

Raph - Looks ready to resume - too good to be left out

Armitage - will get first shot

Other possibilities - Smith, Cripps, Lynch, Ledger - have to say not likely though.

Gone missing or not currently in form - Heyne, Polo (injured), Winmar

Sorry guys but if we go by past experience non of the young guys will get a game it will be geary or eddy.

Look at last year alister smith consistantly played well and no game.
Tommy walsh as well allthough a (rookie)it was only when players got injured Armitage,jack steven,Stanley,all only when players injured.

PJ
SS Life Member

Sorry guys but if we go by past experience non of the young guys will get a game it will be geary or eddy.

Tommy walsh as well allthough a (rookie)it was only when players got injured Armitage,jack steven,Stanley,all only when players injured.
I think if Ross goes with the same old same old then he could be lining himself up for a bit of criticism - especially if our form drops. He's signalled changes at the end of last season so unless something has changed then I'd be predicting some shift in line up. Not sure how extreme that shift will be.

I remember Brucey "special" Mac commenting during the build up in Grand Final week that he thought our bottom 6 were too one dimensional - kinda agree and I think it's the difference between us and the filth.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
Wrote for Luck
Club Player

Think I read that Dawson, Steven, and Stanley will have played three games for Sandy before round one. If this is the case I would expect to see them all in. Also Smith and Armo. Don't know who may come out though, may come down to fitness/injuries.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

millarsaint wrote:Think I read that Dawson, Steven, and Stanley will have played three games for Sandy before round one. If this is the case I would expect to see them all in. Also Smith and Armo. Don't know who may come out though, may come down to fitness/injuries.
Steven hasnt played yet. I reckon the other 2 will play in the first game if they get through next weeks practice game.

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

saint58 wrote:Sorry guys but if we go by past experience non of the young guys will get a game it will be geary or eddy.

Eddy no chance - didn't play a single NAB Cup/Challenge game. Geary well behind several others at this point I would think.

Tommy Walsh is a real question mark, got talked up a great deal a few weeks ago then things went quiet after NAB round 2. Why?

I think it might be because there is only one rookie elevation spot available and they think Archer is a necessity in the short term.

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
PJ
SS Life Member

they think Archer is a necessity in the short term.
Agree

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

I can handle mediocre preseason form if one or two kids are putting in eye-catching performances...

...but they arent

A nice pass here, good tackle there, but not one of our younger players really put their hand over the preseason. Our listed two best players up in Coffs were BJ and Dal..and while Cripps was listed as next best theres been not one word said anywhere else about him playing well. Meanwhile one of their 2nd year players ripped us a newie and was all over the match reports.

Selwood, Rioli, Beams, Sidebottom. All played significant roles in their teams flags before their 21st birthdays. Maybe thats whats needed, a kid with X factor who can really contribute every week..but right now we seem a long way from finding one

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor