Can we afford to lose Gilbert down back?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Can we afford to lose Gilbert down back?

Excellent evasive skills, sorely missed alongside Chips tonight. Chips' inclusion will help, but where do we need Gilbo more, forward or back?

Should admit that BJ will never have a dirtier night in his life.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
St Lenny
Club Player

Yep agree, I have alway said, for gods sake, put Raph on the forward line, at least if he make a blew, as he often does, it wont result in a goal to the oppo.

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

St Dog, realise, please, that when Chips went down we had bloke in the back half who would attack the ball one line up - Raph. No-one else, just Raph. Yep, he made mistakes, but the game is now about pressing up and being able to intercept on the back of that structure. He took risks, stuffed a few up, but he ran.

Remember the 2009 Prelim? Ross doesn't rate him because of his own gullibility (read the HS piece from Robbo yesterday). He's brave, tough and lights us up. Contrary to many supporters' opinions, he's extremely popular with his team mates because he does what's needed.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Good point about no chips down back for most of the game.

So let's see, we had no Chips Gilbo nor Zac in our back third.

And no Big Mac Kosi or Gardy in the ruck.

And yet some clowns are concerned about the result!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
matrix
Saintsational Legend

gilbo back
gilbo not forward
gilbo need to learn kick with opp foot
gilbo found out to easily
gilbo need to practice kick with right like he practice take snap shot

uggh

wasaintsfan
Club Player

how about we go in with the same team and players in the same positions as last year playing exactly the same style;) yes that will work

our back line is not the weakness

its the run and carry that has been lacking... which they are starting to get into gram / peake/ dal/ goddard etc

in 09 the pressure then our run and carry was the difference.. then come finals.. we lost that and went purely defence.. last year it showed sometimes but again we went purely defence...

we need to get the balance of 09 back with the mix of attack and defence...

collingwood last year did no different to what we did in 09 which is why we were able to shut them down in gf1... gf 2 we didnt kick straight in front of goal and it killed us

if we can get the mix right it doesnt matter who we play.. ie saints vs hawks 09

but we have to find that balance again

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Like to see Milney and Mini get their 09 tackling pressure back as well

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:gilbo back
gilbo not forward
gilbo need to learn kick with opp foot
gilbo found out to easily
gilbo need to practice kick with right like he practice take snap shot

uggh
Uggh

"gilbo has pea brain" might also have been added, which makes two of the last three problematical. But as far as the decision of the coach is concerned, yes, he must play back. Essendon showed last night that a team does not need tall marking forwards to kick goals. Speed of movement can produce the same result. Then again, kicking accuracy to team mates is the key to that. Essendon looked very much like Collingwood last night in that regard.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

down back - gee if playing him up forward is the answer then it ain't much of one. throwing him up there occasionally could be warranted ...but...

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Moccha
Saintsational Legend

dcstkfc wrote:Like to see Milney and Mini get their 09 tackling pressure back as well
better if they got the ball especially the latter

Another opportunity awaits!
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Now that Raph has proven once again to be a liability we cannot afford not to have Gilbert down back.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:Now that Raph has proven once again to be a liability we cannot afford not to have Gilbert down back.
Great to see someone using the nom de plume of an emergency worker sticking the boots in.

You have no idea The Fireman.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
The Fireman wrote:Now that Raph has proven once again to be a liability we cannot afford not to have Gilbert down back.
Great to see someone using the nom de plume of an emergency worker sticking the boots in.

You have no idea The Fireman.
As an emergency worker I have big boots but can't see what that has to do with anything, I just say it as I see it.

nuttsy
Club Player

Raph was the only defender who was prepared to take the game on, he showed spirit and I enjoyed watching him

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

nuttsy wrote:
Raph was the only defender who was prepared to take the game on, he showed spirit and I enjoyed watching him
Spot on nuttsy!

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

nuttsy wrote:
good for you mate, I just can't enjoy watching clanger after clanger.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:
nuttsy wrote:
Maybe there's been too much clanging in your head over the years?

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Lol

:wink:

realdeal
Club Player

The Fireman wrote:
nuttsy wrote:
Don't you love it when people jump onto certain players when they make a mistake when other players make more mistakes but don't cop the same treatment.
He is a different player to a Blake or Baker, they may have less turnovers but Raph creates a hell of a lot more scoring chances!

Raph is gonna have ups and downs but thats because he's one of the few players who takes the game on, creates run and space.. he also puts his head over the ball. but if you just concentrate on the negatives every player will in trouble...

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

realdeal wrote:
The Fireman wrote:
nuttsy wrote:
Don't you love it when people jump onto certain players when they make a mistake when other players make more mistakes but don't cop the same treatment.
He is a different player to a Blake or Baker, they may have less turnovers but Raph creates a hell of a lot more scoring chances!

Raph is gonna have ups and downs but thats because he's one of the few players who takes the game on, creates run and space.. he also puts his head over the ball. but if you just concentrate on the negatives every player will in trouble...
Raph creates a lot more scoring chances for the opposition.
Last edited by The Fireman on Sun 06 Mar 2011 6:20am, edited 1 time in total.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
The Fireman wrote:
nuttsy wrote:
Maybe there's been too much clanging in your head over the years?
It is a shame that there are still some on here who would rather attack the poster than the issue.