Gardiner on long term injury list

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

GeorgeYoung27
Club Player

Gardiner on long term injury list

ST KILDA yesterday placed its veteran ruckman Michael Gardiner on the long-term injury list as he recovers from knee surgery in Europe in January.

The earliest the 31-year-old can play a premiership match is round six, potentially paving the way for a rookie-listed player to be upgraded and be eligible to play at the elite level during the first five rounds.
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/sp ... 6014966768

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

Looks like Archer or Walsh will be in the mix for senior debuts.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Re: Gardiner on long term injury list

GeorgeYoung27 wrote:The earliest the 31-year-old can play a premiership match is round six, potentially paving the way for a rookie-listed player to be upgraded and be eligible to play at the elite level during the first five rounds.
interesting. may as well upgrade someone, then. either walsh or archer.

walsh would only be upgraded if there was another injury in defence between now and then, i reckon. there's already six first-teamers locked in for the back six - fisher, gwilt, blake, dempster, baker, clarke - and when dawson gets fitness in round two-ish then there'll be seven vying for spots. no point dropping walsh into that mix.

on the other hand, we're short of ruckmen and tall forwards until gardy and kosi come back. and for that matter until stanley gets back to being considered. so it makes sense to have archer hanging about to call on, just in case.

howlinwolf
Club Player

It's all the more clear why they have rested Ben now.
Get's some miles into Archer in the ruck.
Hopefully Kosi's injury will come along quicker than expected.

Robert Harvey's last home game. 24 Aug 2008
StKilda 13.17 def Adelaide 6.11
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

We may find spare parts man Blake in the ruck. Wouldn't be the first time.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

Yep, I also think Blake will do his share in the ruck.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

Does that mean that walsh could be upgraded.... hmmmm certain people on here need to remember that there are ways to get people upgraded and the answer "he is a rookie" does not account for much in a argumative sense.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

very interesting indeed.
certainly a very close call between walsh and archer.

we have zac and simpkin and will johnson as tall defenders already - so with kosi also under a cloud ud think they will go for archer on balance for the first 6 rounds. pretty much an audition for him tomorrow. good luck son.

(i kind of wish we could swap tommy for johnson)

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

I dont reckon anyone will be upgraded unless they are going to play. Archer will only play if he can prove he can ruck in the next 2 games otherwise they will go with Ben and either Blake or Stanley. Walsh is probably more unlikely to play unless we get an injury or 2.

shmic_s
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:I dont reckon anyone will be upgraded unless they are going to play. Archer will only play if he can prove he can ruck in the next 2 games otherwise they will go with Ben and either Blake or Stanley. Walsh is probably more unlikely to play unless we get an injury or 2.
I agree.

Archer will be tested in the ruck tomorrow night.
If he gets a pass, i would think he would have more of a chance to be upgraded to play (to use a term i hate) a 'Leigh Brown' type role.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

If Archer can pick up some ruck skills to add to his forward work, he may have a good chance at being a sub at times this year.

goddardisgod
Club Player

I'ld say in terms of "ready to go", Walsh would win hands down.

However, with Kosi and Gardi down, and Stanley unknown (will he play round 1?) Archer may be best, simply for balance. If Stanley is not great at VFL level practice, maybe Archer could be in line round 1.....

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

EDDY!
Who would have thought we'd be talking about Archer potentially playing a key role early this season!
Love it. Good call by the club to take the pressure of Gards.
Get him right.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

Solar wrote:Does that mean that walsh could be upgraded.... hmmmm certain people on here need to remember that there are ways to get people upgraded and the answer "he is a rookie" does not account for much in a argumative sense.
Bernard Shakey wrote:Walsh is a rookie!
Sorry Bernard, no offence intended, just couldn't resist! :P

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:Does that mean that walsh could be upgraded.... hmmmm certain people on here need to remember that there are ways to get people upgraded and the answer "he is a rookie" does not account for much in a argumative sense.
although even if he does get upgraded, he'll only have until round 5.

PJ
SS Life Member

walsh would only be upgraded if there was another injury in defence between now and then, i reckon. there's already six first-teamers locked in for the back six - fisher, gwilt, blake, dempster, baker, clarke - and when dawson gets fitness in round two-ish then there'll be seven vying for spots. no point dropping walsh into that mix.
I don't think it's about the defence - Walsh can allow Blake to move to the ruck, Gilbert to go forward and possibly even cover Raph if they needed him elsewhere.

Archer is a possibility but they don't need more forwards. RL has a propensity to use current best 22 to fill roles rather than bring people in to the team people that have limited experience for a main role like ruck. Blake working with Ben is probably preferable to Archer. But hey anythings possible.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
vacuous space
SS Life Member

I'm guessing this is to open a spot for Archer - not Walsh. I don't think we have a need for another tall defender for the Geelong game and Richmond have a one-man forward line. We could play Blake in the ruck, but I don't think that would be the first choice since he plays out of the back line. Stanley is the only other option, but I'm going to guess he starts at Sandy and has his preseason there. He'll have to take Archer's spot with good on-field performances.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
PJ
SS Life Member

I'm guessing this is to open a spot for Archer - not Walsh. I don't think we have a need for another tall defender for the Geelong game and Richmond have a one-man forward line. We could play Blake in the ruck, but I don't think that would be the first choice since he plays out of the back line. Stanley is the only other option, but I'm going to guess he starts at Sandy and has his preseason there. He'll have to take Archer's spot with good on-field performances.
Given the new sub rule I'm not sure that Archer can function purely as a ruck. Time will tell.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

PJ wrote:Given the new sub rule I'm not sure that Archer can function purely as a ruck. Time will tell.
I'm not suggesting he would. He'll play FF and spell Mc in the ruck.

PJ
SS Life Member

I'm not suggesting he would. He'll play FF and spell Mc in the ruck.
Where do you put Kosi?

vacuous space
SS Life Member

PJ wrote:Where do you put Kosi?
In Archer's spot - once he's ready.

PJ
SS Life Member

In Archer's spot - once he's ready.
Fair enough and you may well be right - personally I don't think we need another lumbering big man on the list. Walsh has his height and looks more mobile and versatile.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

At present I think they are just keeping their options open....and in particular with Stanley currently banished.

In the equation at present is that 2011 Forward line Mark 1 looks to be:

3 tallish players + Gamble + 2 smalls

3 tallish for the season can come from Roo, Gilbert, Kosi, Lynch, Stanley...and now the raw Lynch.

For the early games...no Kosi...and Stanley is in limbo.

Ben is a lock for No 1 Ruck while Gardi is out. So that decision is made.
Who spells him?

Blake, Stanley and Archer are are all possibities...and all can play elsewhere which is important for the relieving ruck role.

Be interesting to see how Archer goes in the ruck in the NAB..but you would think he would be a dark horse. Might also be intended to just play him asa tall forward with Roo and Gilbert. so it could well be Archer and Lynch competing for a forward berth.

Walsh would not be ruled out of coming into the 22....to take Blake's role down back to let Blake play as a follower.

So lots of possibilities:

* Archer with Gilbert and Roo all in the forward line...and Stanley/or Blake on the bench playing relief ruck and also speling the 3 tall forwards.

* Archer to start interchange and play relief ruck/forward with Roo, Gilbert and Lynch as the three talls.

* Walsh or another to free up Blake. Against the Dons another quick small back may be desired anyway due to their pace: Smith?

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
defacto
Club Player

i recon round one will be

HF Gamble Rewioldt Montagna
F Milne Archer Lynch

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Can't help but feel that Gardy could be pushed and play if they wanted that...

I reckon they're just being ultra conservative and blooding a youngster at the same time.

Good call :)