Young ledger

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Young ledger

Looks very promising.....

Armitage, lynch, McEvoy, winmar, cripps all expected to work out ok....but it's nice when a fisher, Montagna, Steven jumps out....a real bonus....

I think ledger will be a bonus, just on early viewing...

On that
Armitage, lynch both playing very well....augers well there

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Really optimistic about Tom Lynch, I remember when he first came onto the scene people were comparing him to Ryan O'Keefe, would love it if he could be half as good, he's showing some really good signs.

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

looks the goods does Ledger

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
wasaintsfan
Club Player

pretty soft free against archer then =\ way to dent a boys confidence

wasaintsfan
Club Player

whoops wrong thread :P lol

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

I am impressed with ledger too.

Looks like a player...and is hard at it too.
Pacey, aggresive at the contest, finds the ball well..there is a lot to like.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
goddardisgod
Club Player

Not getting a shitload of the ball. But goddamn it he is an X-Factor.

Getting him on fresh, as a sub, could change the game. Coaching staff have shown faith, selected ahead of Crocker, Cripps and a few other young blokes.

Ross knows what to do.

SaintWal
Club Player

Reminds me of a young number 7. Could we be that lucky?

gringo
Saintsational Legend

If he comes on quickly I can stop the why can't we uncover another Joel Selwood, Daniel Rich crap that happens around this time every season.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Ledger, Smith and Lynch all look like they could make an impact in the seniors this year. God I hope they're given a fair chance to get a game if the more senior fringe players underperform.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:Ledger, Smith and Lynch all look like they could make an impact in the seniors this year. God I hope they're given a fair chance to get a game if the more senior fringe players underperform.
Agreed mad saint guy, they all look capable of really applying pressure to spots, depth is looking healthy.

Smith had 10 tackles, 5 inside 50's, and was good tonight too.

PJ
SS Life Member

Will be fantastic for the saints - probably a year or 2 away from best 22.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
falka
Club Player

Ledger certainly has something about him.

Cant disagree more on the Lynch comments. His skills are just terrible, certainly having a go, but very sloppy. Needs to improve this area if he wants to play seniors.

Smith, better option on half forward than Eddy. Deserves a spot

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Al Smith looks the goods but to me he looked better than Eddie last year too. He would be ahead of Ledger and I think the famous apprenticeship might hold him back.

I would think Jack Steven and Dave Armitage will be demanding game time this year as well. Nice to have depth for a change, and it keeps everyone from Peake ,Mcqualter and even Farren Ray playing to keep their spots every week.

We still have Geary on the sidelines and Schnider as well, I thought we were meant to struggle with our bottom 6 players. There is now genuine depth there.

starsign
Club Player

gringo wrote:Al Smith looks the goods but to me he looked better than Eddie last year too. He would be ahead of Ledger and I think the famous apprenticeship might hold him back.

I would think Jack Steven and Dave Armitage will be demanding game time this year as well. Nice to have depth for a change, and it keeps everyone from Peake ,Mcqualter and even Farren Ray playing to keep their spots every week.

We still have Geary on the sidelines and Schnider as well, I thought we were meant to struggle with our bottom 6 players. There is now genuine depth there.
guess you could chuck in the X-factor Polo as well

doppler effect
Club Player

falka wrote:Cant disagree more on the Lynch comments. His skills are just terrible, certainly having a go, but very sloppy. Needs to improve this area if he wants to play seniors.
Agree. Both this week and last week he didn't look terribly good. In fact he looks very dopey.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Lynch still has more to offer as a forward than Gilbert, IMHO.

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

borderbarry wrote:Lynch still has more to offer as a forward than Gilbert, IMHO.
You're kidding, he fumbles way too much and is no where near as good overhead, Gilbo is more aggressive, a better tackler and far more dangerous for the opposition. His presence up forward will take the heat off Roo and allw him to compete one on one instead of one on plenty

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

He could be our next Robert Eddy - seems to be in a similar mould.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

BringBackMadDog wrote:
borderbarry wrote:Lynch still has more to offer as a forward than Gilbert, IMHO.
You're kidding, he fumbles way too much and is no where near as good overhead, Gilbo is more aggressive, a better tackler and far more dangerous for the opposition. His presence up forward will take the heat off Roo and allw him to compete one on one instead of one on plenty
Disagree.. lynch has played forward before and it showed. Read the play, provided an option. Although I agree his skills need to improve, he clearly knows how to read the game.

Gilbert, although his efforts were there.. Seemed lost to me. Will and can he improve, yes. But who knows. Kicking still and always had been a major issue.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

It's such a shame that Gilbert started footy so late, if he had better footskills he could really be anything, I've always thought his best position would be as a tall wingman in a similar mould to Adam Goodes...

I think he may be wasted in the forward line a bit tbh... but it's probably worth persisting with him for a little while longer.

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

love ledger. a real livewire. gets in and has a dip. shows some speed and seems to make good decisions. doesnt mind a tackle either. real surprise packet. may play seniors before some higher picks. seems like a good bloke too.

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

falka wrote: Cant disagree more on the Lynch comments. His skills are just terrible, certainly having a go, but very sloppy. Needs to improve this area if he wants to play seniors.
compare week 1 NAB vs week 2. Thought he was much better skill wise week 2. Looks like a confidence and nerves thing to me. The kid will get better if they perserve with him. i think he got better as the game wore on.

I dont know how old you are, but i remember a young Max Hudgton was much the same in his first 10 games of senior footy.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Agree re Gilbert. Would be a superstar but sub standard foot skills mean he will always be a very good player who is prone to turn overs.

“Yeah….nah””
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Ledger could easily debut in round one with Schneids suspended. Easily. Dont think too many (me included) saw that coming.

Jack Clarke Medalist for best player in WAFL under 18 comp for last season.

http://www.wafootball.com.au/wafl/2243- ... arke-medal

I have a feeling saints 2010 draft might be a real cracker after quite a few shockers.

Although Armo and Lynch and Big Mac all are decent so its really only back 5-7 years ago when we seemed to have a bad run for 3 few years.

We have no players in the 22-25 year age group at all (besides ray, polo and cj who were all mature recruits).
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Mon 28 Feb 2011 11:24am, edited 3 times in total.