Some good signs....but a same stuff

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote:Gram at least looked like he could kick again.
It was his miskick with 7 minutes to go, straight to four Essendon players at CHF (the kicker not seen on the TV, thanks Alf) that started the rot. On another occasion, he choose to wait for the ball to bounce into his arms rather than go for it. Guess what, it didn't bounce into his arms.

Brendon Goddard just seems to be playing at completely different level to the rest. His determination to will himself into the contest is an example that Jason Gram and one or two others should look at. Essendon were employing (on some occasions) two blockers to keep him out of the contest. If he stays fit, we will always be a chance.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

You guys did realise that

a) it was a practice match
b) we had about a dozen players not playing
c) 8 players never playing an AFL match
d) when we were four up at half time against the Bombers Lyon took off Fisher and Armitage who to then had been amongst our best players.
e) it was out first hit out ofthe season.

the way some of you carry on is hilarious, almost as bad as the essendon crowd who thought thety just won the premiership :roll:

Pros

Raph - moved well, looked in control, one early brain fade then settled nicely
Crocker - nice kicking skills, backing into a pack for a courageous mark
Walsh - looked composed, spoilt well and didn't miss a target
Archer - big lump of a lad who contested well
Gamble -did whar he was recruited for
Ledger - impressed by him
Cripps - didn't see much of him to make a comment
W.Johnsone - looked Ok
Winmar - had a bit of a run but quiet.

All in all a good first up effort.

Like the way we used the corridor early, but we ran out of puff, and I would think we might struggle against and type of zone defence with that attack.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Moccha
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Must have watched a different game. Gram was good but in the end it means jack. They re simple practice games.
Forget about watching another game. You're on another planet

Another opportunity awaits!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Moccha wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Must have watched a different game. Gram was good but in the end it means jack. They re simple practice games.
I suppose the good thing about that for me is that I am away from you. Sorry that IMO Gram was ok.

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Moccha wrote:
I suppose the good thing about that for me is that I am away from you. Sorry that IMO Gram was ok.
That's fine but I didn't say Gram wasn't any good but lazy!

Another opportunity awaits!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Moccha wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Moccha wrote:
I didnt quote you. I was actually meaning what SR wrote.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

PJ wrote:I thought the most disappointing thing about last night was the rule changes and the umpiring - bloody frustrating to watch young umps absolutely butcher a game. If the AFL serves this rubbish up again we're in big trouble.
seriously? i thought it was on the whole pretty decent, a couple of funny ones here and there but that out-of-bounds rule is tough to umpire. when would you prefer young umpires to get some practice - in the regular season?

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

dcstkfc wrote:
lefty wrote:Oh and I'm still concerned about our midfield not winning the centre clearance... really really not good at all. Got smashed by Essendon in the second half.
THIS

My biggest worry.

It is Lenny or bust for the Saints in centre clearances.

Get Schneids/Jack in there.

Its not the midfield... Its the ruckwork.

PJ
SS Life Member

seriously? i thought it was on the whole pretty decent, a couple of funny ones here and there but that out-of-bounds rule is tough to umpire. when would you prefer young umpires to get some practice - in the regular season?
The players had little idea and the umps were often having little meetings to figure out what to do e.g. the one against Walsh - I found the out of bounds rule pretty hard to stomach. In regards to the umps - the game is hard enough to umpire as it is without introducing random rules that create confusion. With regards to developing young umps it is of little concern to me, the AFL make money hand over fist charging the public to see the game but if your happy to watching them practice getting it right well alls good.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

PJ wrote:
The players had little idea and the umps were often having little meetings to figure out what to do e.g. the one against Walsh - I found the out of bounds rule pretty hard to stomach. In regards to the umps - the game is hard enough to umpire as it is without introducing random rules that create confusion. With regards to developing young umps it is of little concern to me, the AFL make money hand over fist charging the public to see the game but if your happy to watching them practice getting it right well alls good.
So when should they practice? Are only players allowed practice matches?

lefty
Club Player

Spinner wrote: Its not the midfield... Its the ruckwork.
Whichever it is, needs to be addressed. I know its the first pre season game (and I'm not that concerned for the time being), but that cost us a GF. We can't put all the pressure on Goddard and Lenny to win it every time.... so hopefully gets address and progresses throughout the season to get at least a 50% or above centre clearance rate.

PJ
SS Life Member

IMO

When you put rookies and a sh*te load of new rules together you are going to create mud.

Answer to the when question? Anywhere but on prime television. How long does the triple header go for? Is it acceptable to say it's only practice so you should accept a poor standard of game (for about 3 hours) when you are watching it on prime TV or even worse paying for it?

Everyone accepts that it's the kids cup but introducing kid umpires reduces the spectacle to a confusing rabble (especially with cr*p rules).

PJ
SS Life Member

Ohh and if you think Gram's game was good then you'll be easily pleased this year. Should make for an enjoyable season then?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

PJ wrote:
IMO

When you put rookies and a sh*te load of new rules together you are going to create mud.

Answer to the when question? Anywhere but on prime television. How long does the triple header go for? Is it acceptable to say it's only practice so you should accept a poor standard of game (for about 3 hours) when you are watching it on prime TV or even worse paying for it?

Everyone accepts that it's the kids cup but introducing kid umpires reduces the spectacle to a confusing rabble (especially with cr*p rules).
So we accept kids can play but not umpire. No answer to when they can apart from not on TV. Luckily the umpiring departement realise for us to see if guys are good umpires they have to put under pressure of pretty much a real practice game.

By the way I watched the game on TV last night with 9 other people. None of which were either Saints, Lions or Dons supporters. Not one person commented on the standard of umpiring or even the game. They knew it was practice.

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

lefty wrote:
Whichever it is, needs to be addressed. I know its the first pre season game (and I'm not that concerned for the time being), but that cost us a GF. We can't put all the pressure on Goddard and Lenny to win it every time.... so hopefully gets address and progresses throughout the season to get at least a 50% or above centre clearance rate.
Ahh... I'll say it again for those not paying attention...

ARCHER was in the ruck.

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

InkerSaint wrote:
lefty wrote:
Ahh... I'll say it again for those not paying attention...

ARCHER was in the ruck.
Not very often.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

I thought Tommy Walsh was amazing given that he has ony been training/playing for a bit over 12 months. His kicking style was good too.

He is going to get a lot better with every game he plays as well. He's a chance.
Last edited by SaintPav on Sat 19 Feb 2011 5:09pm, edited 1 time in total.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Moccha wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Moccha wrote:
Like he was lazy in the 2009 GF or in the dying seconds of the draw when he left his man to put a spoil on which probably saved us the game. It's a nothing game, get real...

I think you're lazy in your thinking.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
maverick
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
Moccha wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Moccha wrote:
Like he was lazy in the 2009 GF or in the dying seconds of the draw when he left his man to put a spoil on which probably saved us the game. It's a nothing game, get real...

Agree, looks like Grammy is the new target.
He was OK for mine as well.

PJ
SS Life Member

By the way I watched the game on TV last night with 9 other people. None of which were either Saints, Lions or Dons supporters. Not one person commented on the standard of umpiring or even the game. They knew it was practice.
Perhaps your friends just didn't give a toss because they weren't saints, dons or lions supporters but your right again no one should even think of being critical of sub standard offerings, perhaps they should even advertise that "the following is cr*p so don't take it seriously.... seriously".

Winmar7Fan
Club Player

How can we gain anything from that?
I felt like I was watching a 3rd division country football exhibition carnival.

I'm normally super hungry again when It comes to this time and enjoy NAB cup but this is crap.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

maverick wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
Moccha wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Moccha wrote:

I must admit, I was watching the game completely independent, left Saintsational before our game had started, and was onlly watching the tv whilst it was on and I couldn't help but think that Gram might be done.

Everybody talks about the likes of McQualter and Eddy etc. but IMO Gram was one of our worst players last year and apart from the GF he wasn't too great in 2009. It's a real shame but IMO he's a fringe player now, and he will have to watch out for the likes of Walsh, Simpkin, Armitage, Geary, Cripss, Ledger and Crocker.

His biggest strengths have always been his pace and long kicking but now we have some youngsters that seem to have him matched on those two attributes if not bettered, which is not helped by the fact that his pace seems to be a thing of the past and his long kicking rarely seems to go to a saint anymore.

As sad as it is because I was always a big fan of his, I just don't see Jason Gram being a core player anymore.

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
saint75
SS Hall of Fame

Armoooo wrote:
maverick wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
Moccha wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Moccha wrote:

I must admit, I was watching the game completely independent, left Saintsational before our game had started, and was onlly watching the tv whilst it was on and I couldn't help but think that Gram might be done.

Everybody talks about the likes of McQualter and Eddy etc. but IMO Gram was one of our worst players last year and apart from the GF he wasn't too great in 2009. It's a real shame but IMO he's a fringe player now, and he will have to watch out for the likes of Walsh, Simpkin, Armitage, Geary, Cripss, Ledger and Crocker.

His biggest strengths have always been his pace and long kicking but now we have some youngsters that seem to have him matched on those two attributes if not bettered, which is not helped by the fact that his pace seems to be a thing of the past and his long kicking rarely seems to go to a saint anymore.

As sad as it is because I was always a big fan of his, I just don't see Jason Gram being a core player anymore.
Harsh, very harsh. The guy has been crippled by a hip and groin injury. If you can't kick and run, you are in trouble.........

Let us give him a few weeks before we cast him to the wastelands.....

Biggest improvement I saw on Saturday night was the speed at which we played on. We seemed to struggle a fair big last year with this and by the time we did move the ball on, all the players from both teams were in our inside 50 and we had no free options to kick too.

I was very impressed with this hit out with our juniors. I was starting to believe the 'our premiership window is closed' bull carp untill I saw the raw talent that kept the full Essendon team to a draw and should really have gone the distance had it not been for some of this raw inexperienced talent. I can't believe the lack of excitement from fellow Saints after watching this game. Perhaps I watched a different telecast? :?:

Fortius Quo Fidelius
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

I thought it was a good hit out against a side that IMO was stronger than what we fielded.

I realise Bombers rested, Watson, Fletcher, McVeigh, Pears, Hille and these guys make a big difference BUT many of their kids aka Melksham and co are really now senior starting 22 at Essendon......compared to the true kids we had running round I felt they were clearly the stronger side.

As for Gram Ive watched and worried bout him for some time. I know hes been injured, but reality is he's never been a great kick and often a turn over merhcant. Im so glad much of our new recruits appear to have FOOT SKILLS which is so vital in todays game. If pressure is on for spots this year that can only eb good and the likes of Cripps etc may put some on him ...even for a few games...

“Yeah….nah””
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

maverick wrote:
Look it was only Practice Game No 1...

However my disappointment with Gram is that he can be a "star" in our 22 rather than just "ok".

If he can have a good year in 2011, make no mistake it will go a long long way to us making the GF again.

So I am looking for him to be better than ok...just as I am looking for the Saints to be better than ok in 2011. So my comment was measured on the player he can be....

Here's hopping too that Raph can have an injury free year.

If both Gram and Raph can really hit their straps this year I will be dlighted.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....