Talls in the NAB Cup

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Talls in the NAB Cup

We've got a lot of talls missing in the first round of the pre-season cup. Like, A LOT. 7 of our 9 tallest players will not be playing. In fact, we'll only have three players over 192cm - two are rookies:

McEvoy - 200cm
Walsh (rookie) - 195cm
Archer (rookie) - 193cm

The lack of Pattison and Gaertner doesn't help this. Apart from those three, we've got tall-mediums - mostly inexperienced:

Dempster - 192cm
Fisher - 192cm
Lynch (0 games) - 192cm
Goddard - 191cm
Blake - 191cm
Simpkin (0 games) - 191cm
Johnson (0 games) - 191cm
Winmar (0 games) - 190cm
Clarke - 189cm
Ferguson (rookie) - 189cm

Does it matter? What do we actually need?

Ruck
McEvoy - It's 40 minute games, so maybe we can get by with one? I guess Blake or Walsh can help him out.

Key Forward
Walsh or Archer or Lynch - Sounds fairly ineffective. Give BJ a go down there? Presumably Gamble will have a run as well, though at 184cm he's barely a tall.

Key Back
Simpkin or Blake or Fisher or Johnson or Dempster - Should be fine, as Dawson's the only one missing from this part of the ground.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Key Forward We are going to need two, a FF and a CHF. Give the youngsters a go, see what they are made of. Leave BJ on the ball where he belongs.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

The nab cup is irrelevant. They are practice matches that in the first round are a month before the real season.

I reckon Milney would love a go in the ruck for a bouncedown for a bit if fun!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

The upside for me is that we get a look at our fringe and younger players.

Ideal chance for Lynch and Walsh to show where they are at.

By the way..anyone know exactly how tall Winmar is now? Is 190cm still accurate?

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

I think we will see a different approach to this years NAB Cup.

I reckon the reason there's no intraclub is because of the GF Replay. It sets the whole pre-season back a week, so the first round of the Nab Cup will be at the stage thru the pre-season where the intraclub would be.

In previous years, we've had a pretty strong side going into round one of the cup. This year I reckon the younger blokes will get a real crack, a bit like picking the 24 or so player from the bottom of the list up. I dare say this years rookies are a bit raw, but eveyone else who is fit will get a gig.

Guys like Simpkin, Johnston, Winmar, and even Cripps and Crocker will play a bigger part in this years series.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

St Chris wrote:I think we will see a different approach to this years NAB Cup.

I reckon the reason there's no intraclub is because of the GF Replay. It sets the whole pre-season back a week, so the first round of the Nab Cup will be at the stage thru the pre-season where the intraclub would be.

In previous years, we've had a pretty strong side going into round one of the cup. This year I reckon the younger blokes will get a real crack, a bit like picking the 24 or so player from the bottom of the list up. I dare say this years rookies are a bit raw, but eveyone else who is fit will get a gig.

Guys like Simpkin, Johnston, Winmar, and even Cripps and Crocker will play a bigger part in this years series.
Pretty sure Simpkin is injured.

goddardisgod
Club Player

While he prob won't play, Jack Ferg is 194cm.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

goddardisgod wrote:While he prob won't play, Jack Ferg is 194cm.
wow, gilbert's height? i imagine it'll take him some time to grow into his body then - but he could end up a really interesting player.

goddardisgod
Club Player

bergholt wrote:
goddardisgod wrote:While he prob won't play, Jack Ferg is 194cm.
wow, gilbert's height? i imagine it'll take him some time to grow into his body then - but he could end up a really interesting player.
Was playing swingman and backup ruck for his club side and Sammy Fish style CHB for NSW/ACT.

Ice Wolf
Club Player

Re: Talls in the NAB Cup

bergholt wrote:We've got a lot of talls missing in the first round of the pre-season cup. Like, A LOT. 7 of our 9 tallest players will not be playing. In fact, we'll only have three players over 192cm - two are rookies:

McEvoy - 200cm
Walsh (rookie) - 195cm
Archer (rookie) - 193cm

The lack of Pattison and Gaertner doesn't help this. Apart from those three, we've got tall-mediums - mostly inexperienced:

Dempster - 192cm
Fisher - 192cm
Lynch (0 games) - 192cm
Goddard - 191cm
Blake - 191cm
Winmar (0 games) - 190cm
Clarke - 189cm

Ruck
McEvoy - It's 40 minute games, so maybe we can get by with one? I guess Blake or Walsh can help him out.

Key Forward
Walsh or Archer or Lynch - Sounds fairly ineffective. Give BJ a go down there? Presumably Gamble will have a run as well, though at 184cm he's barely a tall.

Key Back
Simpkin or Blake or Fisher or Johnson or Dempster - Should be fine, as Dawson's the only one missing from this part of the ground.
Im pretty sure Lynch has played a game, didn't Fletcher run amok on him last year

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Ice Wolf wrote:

Im pretty sure Lynch has played a game, didn't Fletcher run amok on him last year
Maybe that is why it is counted as a zero game :wink:

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Ice Wolf wrote:Im pretty sure Lynch has played a game, didn't Fletcher run amok on him last year
yeah, i remembered that after writing the post. still, i stand by my original claim that the kid has effectively no experience and therefore we wouldn't want to be relying on him.

Gershwin
Club Player

Wouldn't be suprised if we don't get through the first round of the NAB Cup.

Bit behind other clubs and injuries to talls.

Don't think the club will care at all.

summertime and the living is easy ........
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Gershwin wrote:Wouldn't be suprised if we don't get through the first round of the NAB Cup.

Bit behind other clubs and injuries to talls.

Don't think the club will care at all.
Yeah maybe Gershwin, but the different format makes it a bit difficult to judge.

The Lions will have already played 1 "game" when they tackle us while we'll be playing against a lot of kids when we then take on the Bombers. How will they cope with the long break and the huge squad?

We won't be at full strength and we may not be hugely motivated to win, yet fate may simply dictate that we progress to the next round.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

I'm more worried about round 1 to be honest,

Come round one we will have macca as first ruck. Question marks have to be over kosi and gards to get up and even then it will be at a reduce level (maybe as a sub). Stanley will be pushing it to be match fit by round 1 after his suspension.

Perhaps macca will have to ruck 80% of the game and perhaps be subbed by blake until we get our rucks fit and firing. Patto looks nice in hindsight!

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:I'm more worried about round 1 to be honest,

Come round one we will have macca as first ruck. Question marks have to be over kosi and gards to get up and even then it will be at a reduce level (maybe as a sub). Stanley will be pushing it to be match fit by round 1 after his suspension.

Perhaps macca will have to ruck 80% of the game and perhaps be subbed by blake until we get our rucks fit and firing. Patto looks nice in hindsight!
I dont think match fitness will be a problem for Stanley. He will have plenty of practice games they just wont be at a good standard.

spert
Saintsational Legend

The club needs to get the car with a bag of money, and do the rounds of some basketball matches- just sign up a couple of beanpoles over 220 cm, give em a couple of weeks on the weights in the gym and shove out in the middle on match day- ruck problem solved.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

I dont think match fitness will be a problem for Stanley. He will have plenty of practice games they just wont be at a good standard.
Stanley has certainly done himself no favours with his 6 week punishment and yes he will suffer being away from the senior group.

However, IMO, he does remain a chance as early as Round 1 depending on circumstances. With Gards & Kosi almost certain to miss it all comes back to McEvoy. If something were to prevent his selection early on then Stanley simply has to be considered. Doesn't matter in the NAB Cup but when the real stuff starts we'll need at least one big ruckman.

Stanley simply has to take his medicine and suck it up. And he has to bust a gut as much as he can, against whatever opposition he faces.

If he can prove his form and fitness, and that his attitude is right, then he will definitely come into the mix if he's the only genuine tall ruckman available for selection.

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

reckon Rossy will be happy with the boys dropping out of the NAB early on. more chance of injury when your mugs are on the telly and everyone's trying to over do it.

is Simpkin really injured? what's he got?

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
PJ
SS Life Member

I noticed on the club site last year that Walsh and Archer are big boys - both around the 100k mark. They're both pretty physically mature and would be looked at as part of balance between muscle and speed. Most our profile recruiting has been on speed but with Kingy out of the game and Gardy not far behind you'd expect some grunt to be restored.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

millarsaint wrote:reckon Rossy will be happy with the boys dropping out of the NAB early on. more chance of injury when your mugs are on the telly and everyone's trying to over do it.

is Simpkin really injured? what's he got?

More chance of injury on well maintained, AFL standard grounds?

Righto

stinger
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:We've got a lot of talls missing in the first round of the pre-season cup. Like, A LOT. 7 of our 9 tallest players will not be playing. In fact, we'll only have three players over 192cm - two are rookies:

McEvoy - 200cm
Walsh (rookie) - 195cm
Archer (rookie) - 193cm

Dempster - 192cm
Fisher - 192cm
Lynch (0 games) - 192cm
Goddard - 191cm
Blake - 191cm
Winmar (0 games) - 190cm
Clarke - 189cm

Ruck

Key Forward

Key Back

bj recently said that despite official records he was just a tad under 193cm....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
saintslegendLH
Club Player

Dr Spaceman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Stanley has certainly done himself no favours with his 6 week punishment and yes he will suffer being away from the senior group.

However, IMO, he does remain a chance as early as Round 1 depending on circumstances. With Gards & Kosi almost certain to miss it all comes back to McEvoy. If something were to prevent his selection early on then Stanley simply has to be considered. Doesn't matter in the NAB Cup but when the real stuff starts we'll need at least one big ruckman.

Stanley simply has to take his medicine and suck it up. And he has to bust a gut as much as he can, against whatever opposition he faces.

If he can prove his form and fitness, and that his attitude is right, then he will definitely come into the mix if he's the only genuine tall ruckman available for selection.
yeah stanley could be a possibility for round 1 as a ruck imo(that is if gardi and kosi arn't fit). Saw him today in the gym, he's really put on alot more muscle and grown shoulders, complete transformation from his build last year. will be interesting to see.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

On Stanley:

With Gardi and Kosi out of action, as long as Stanley dots his i's and crosses his t's from now on, I think he is very likely to be in our seniors for Round 1.

Not so much for rucking duties, but as an extra tall forward. Though that Stanley could play bursts in the ruck too would be an asset.

Ignoring his inexperience and still slight build, Stanley's versatility and athleticism may push him forward. He can play key forward, flank and spells in the ruck.

However Blake will most likely back up Ben in the ruck.

However Lynch and Walsh have the pre-season to shine in. Good performances could see them sneak into the Round 1 team in front of Stanley.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:On Stanley:

With Gardi and Kosi out of action, as long as Stanley dots his i's and crosses his t's from now on, I think he is very likely to be in our seniors for Round 1.

Not so much for rucking duties, but as an extra tall forward. Though that Stanley could play bursts in the ruck too would be an asset.

Ignoring his inexperience and still slight build, Stanley's versatility and athleticism may push him forward. He can play key forward, flank and spells in the ruck.

However Blake will most likely back up Ben in the ruck.

However Lynch and Walsh have the pre-season to shine in. Good performances could see them sneak into the Round 1 team in front of Stanley.
With the sleeping tablet foursome attitude will count as much as anything.