Who have we got as back up ruck?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

bobmurray wrote:There's a touch of GT about our current ruck stocks.....

I wonder if Ross has ventured down to the archives and browsed through GT's game plan......or maybe it was the game plan left in the coaches box by some loony tune.....
It would certainly appear that not just St Kilda believes that essentially the new interchange rules take us back to where we were pre-2005 regarding ruck rules.

As much as recruiting, the Saints got hit by the implementation of the centre circle. The circle rewarded pure height where previously the best ruckmen combined athleticism to get a great running leap with pure physicality. For the first half of the decade Jeff White and Clark Keating were much lauded. Post rule change, White was good but not great, and even if Keating's body had held up (which the rule change would have helped with), he would have become undersized at 197.

The change encourage Freo to persist with the Sandilands experiment as teams scoured the country for 200cm athletes.

Now with the limit to the interchange, the (unsurprising) preference seems to be that the guy that can be done without is a 2nd ruckman who is a liability if anyone but another ruckman gets hurt. Better to have forwards and or backs that can pinch-hit in the ruck than to have multiple "true" ruckmen.

Expect to see Jason Blake rucking again. The circle killed him, he has a ridiculous running leap on him. Expect to see Kosi rucking. All of Gardiner, McEvoy and Stanley will be expected to spend time forward. McEvoy's 10k time becomes critical - with no 2nd ruck, a lot of rotations will be to forward. Even if he remains slow at the beginning of games, if he's outrunning his opponent in the 4th quarter, that's a huge bonus.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
spert
Saintsational Legend

InkerSaint wrote:
InkerSaint wrote:
spert wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
dcstkfc wrote:Starting to regret letting both Patto and McGrath go
why Milne with a broomstick is better than both patto and Mcgrath... heck we would be more wishing we had Rix back rather than those two ...
Except in any final in Milne's case..he needed a stick up his...
You need to take the blinkers off mate. Milne kicked the most goals in last year's finals of any St Kilda player.
Actually it goes further than that.

Milne kicked more goals than any other player in the AFL in last year's finals.
Looked ordinary and didn't contribute in the replay from where I was sitting, similar to the Geelong final the year before...wouldn't be in my team sorry.

St DAC
SS Hall of Fame

spert wrote:Looked ordinary and didn't contribute in the replay from where I was sitting, similar to the Geelong final the year before...wouldn't be in my team sorry.
Could say the same about 20 odd other players too ... face it, we had shot our wad in GF1. In GF2 we had nothing left.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

if one guy has a good name all of a sudden they are the model

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/b ... 1alr9.html

personally i dont give much of a flog about models. i just want 22 good players out there. and no duds.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

spert wrote:
InkerSaint wrote:
InkerSaint wrote:
spert wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
dcstkfc wrote:Starting to regret letting both Patto and McGrath go
why Milne with a broomstick is better than both patto and Mcgrath... heck we would be more wishing we had Rix back rather than those two ...
Except in any final in Milne's case..he needed a stick up his...
You need to take the blinkers off mate. Milne kicked the most goals in last year's finals of any St Kilda player.
Actually it goes further than that.

Milne kicked more goals than any other player in the AFL in last year's finals.
Looked ordinary and didn't contribute in the replay from where I was sitting, similar to the Geelong final the year before...wouldn't be in my team sorry.
Maybe try watching the Geeling Qualifying final then from last year... We probably wouldnt have made it to the GF if not for Milne...

Milne is constantly criticised for his 'finals' performances... Its actually only his Grand Finals that have let him down... I acknowledge that they are a big deal, but his overall finals record is well above par...

busso mick
Club Player

BAM! (shhhh) wrote:
bobmurray wrote:There's a touch of GT about our current ruck stocks.....

I wonder if Ross has ventured down to the archives and browsed through GT's game plan......or maybe it was the game plan left in the coaches box by some loony tune.....
It would certainly appear that not just St Kilda believes that essentially the new interchange rules take us back to where we were pre-2005 regarding ruck rules.

As much as recruiting, the Saints got hit by the implementation of the centre circle. The circle rewarded pure height where previously the best ruckmen combined athleticism to get a great running leap with pure physicality. For the first half of the decade Jeff White and Clark Keating were much lauded. Post rule change, White was good but not great, and even if Keating's body had held up (which the rule change would have helped with), he would have become undersized at 197.

The change encourage Freo to persist with the Sandilands experiment as teams scoured the country for 200cm athletes.

Now with the limit to the interchange, the (unsurprising) preference seems to be that the guy that can be done without is a 2nd ruckman who is a liability if anyone but another ruckman gets hurt. Better to have forwards and or backs that can pinch-hit in the ruck than to have multiple "true" ruckmen.

Expect to see Jason Blake rucking again. The circle killed him, he has a ridiculous running leap on him. Expect to see Kosi rucking. All of Gardiner, McEvoy and Stanley will be expected to spend time forward. McEvoy's 10k time becomes critical - with no 2nd ruck, a lot of rotations will be to forward. Even if he remains slow at the beginning of games, if he's outrunning his opponent in the 4th quarter, that's a huge bonus.
Good analysis there BAM! It will be very tactical as to how we and other teams use the bench. The longer big Mac can be on the ground will be crucial to our success.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

if one guy has a good game all of a sudden they are the model

personally i dont give much of a flog about models. i just want 22 good players out there. and no duds.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Wed 09 Feb 2011 11:07pm, edited 1 time in total.

goddardisgod
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:if one guy has a good name all of a sudden they are the model

Lol. Michael Johnston of Freo was doing it first, and he's a better ruckman.

Not even on the list! :roll:

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

goddardisgod wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:if one guy has a good name all of a sudden they are the model

Lol. Michael Johnston of Freo was doing it first, and he's a better ruckman.

Not even on the list! :roll:
yeah. its a dumb list. rhys stanley is 202cm for starters. shocking research. shocking theory.

saintjake
Club Player

i may get shot down here, but how tall is raph?
he is pretty athletic and around the grounds he may be able to jump over the opponets?
also, i think we will see lenny and other midfielders go up as third man alot this year.