People 'are trying to break us down': Nick Riewoldt

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The_Merchant
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
The_Merchant wrote:Plugger, not all of the football media are professional journalists. Quite a few are ex-players with certain allegiances for or against certain clubs.

It is quite obvious that some ex-players as well as some journalists are not fans of our club.

Others are ex-players or supporters of our club so it works both ways.

G Healy is a saints fan and unashamedly so. D Brereton is outwardly anti-saints, D King is not a fan and takes any chance to stick the boots in, and S Quartermain is definitely not a fan. Half of SEN barrack for the saints.
Footy is a passionate game and if you have preconceived ideas about a club it can sometimes show in your reporting.

The other factor at play here is that it is of benefit to the media to continue to find dirt on StKilda. They are in the news for the wrong reasons, and the more people can dig up, the more papers they can sell. If you think that the media doesn't jump on the band wagon and sink the boots in when they can, have a look at how QANTAS is represented in the media.

A couple of years ago, a QANTAS plane had to turn back to land for a completely innocuous reason which warranted a three page spread, on the very same day, a Rex plane landed at Sydney airport with an engine on fire. An airport worker rang a Sydney newspaper to report that it had happened, the journalist asked if it was a QANTAS plane, when the employee replied that it was Rex, the journalist said he wasn't interested.

Journalists, editors and sports commentators have one job before all others, to sell newspapers and increase ratings. Saints scandal sells papers.
But what you said would go for every club not just ours. And why would a Saints scandel sell more papers than a Pies one? It wouldnt. We are in the news because we are making the news not because everyone and every thing has a vendetta against our club.
I am not saying that there is a general conspiracy against us at all. I am saying that after the problems we have had recently, it is in the best interest of papers and radio to give unwarranted credence to unsubstantiated claims made by members of the public. This will stick with the club for the next couple of years because for that time they will be able to run with "Saints in crisis again" and the rest of the footy world will be able to shake their heads and tut-tut the Saints culture.
It does work against other clubs as well, there would be plenty of journalists who would lick their lips at being able to report on a Collingwood scandal and the Blues went trough it last year.
The media tends to get a bit of head of steam up when reporting about one club, and the Saints have made it easy for them recently, couple this with the perception of our culture, stemming from 20-30 years ago, when a lot of these journalists were still around, it makes the Saints an easy target.

We now need a couple of years without a major scandal and all will be forgotten and it will be some other clubs turn.

If at first you don't succeed, sky diving is not for you.
jk23
Club Player

St. Luke wrote:Clearly there are some players who need to pull their heads in and I’m sure the club will deal with them accordingly, but I think there is definitely those out there who hate us enough as a club and would love nothing more than to see us implode. We are most definitely Collingwood’s biggest threat in disrupting their 2011 flag campaign. Riewoldt is merely trying to rally the club faithful in a time where we are on verge of a season that could potentially result in a premiership. The Eddie media machine and other clubs are happy in trying to hound us down. We need to all take it on the chin and stick fat with the club through our support. It’s not Riewoldts fault, or many of the other players fault this sort of crap is going on. Don’t punish the entire group because of the actions committed by a few and play into the hands of those who hate us.

Btw, loved the efforts I’ve been reading about McEvoy! Breaking the 10min mark for the 3km! That’s moving!
I spoke to Ross last light at the AGM and said to him just let the footy do all the talking and then the media will have to shut up !!! and hopefully talk about that, he said exactly,he thanked me for the support and smiled...

Macdog82

I attended the AGM last nite and heard Roo's speech about outside forces trying to bring the club down. As a supporter of the club for 28 years i tend to disagree with some aspects of what he said. Sure the media hasn't painted the club in a very good light, but what he and the rest of the playing group need to realise is, that if these off field incidents such as the latest one in NZ didn't occur then the press wouldn't have any fuel, to light their fire with.

It is great the club are getting out on the front foot and trying not to sweep these things under the carpet like im sure a few clubs have done this pre season, but the club needs to put strong measures in place to ensure these things don't happen again, and the main part of the speech I agree with is that the on field performance will do the talking

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

A feeling of "us against the world" isn't a bad one to engender in a club.

That's what I hope Riewoldt was up to with his speech last night. I wouldn't worry too much about the press being against us.

Won't be too long before it is overtaken by another, hopefully, juicier story, from, hopefully, another club.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

New allegation will further tarnish Golden Boy image of skipper Nick Riewoldt. 3AW Drive 4.30

:?

matrix
Saintsational Legend

wtf?

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:New allegation will further tarnish Golden Boy image of skipper Nick Riewoldt. 3AW Drive 4.30

:?
You have to remember that this is Hinch...who gives liars airtime..ie NZ bozo..KD etc...

No proof is needed to get on his show..just dramatic claims is sufficient.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintly
Saintsational Legend

and who could blame him for saying it, after the drivel that was said by hinch

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote: We are in the news because we are making the news not because everyone and every thing has a vendetta against our club.
Hey look P66 another "NEWSWORTHY" story about our captain

:roll: :roll:

Thank you Dero Hinch for going out of your way to justify Reiwoldt's remarks
Last edited by Devilhead on Mon 07 Feb 2011 6:59pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote:
plugger66 wrote: We are in the news because we are making the news not because everyone and every thing has a vendetta against our club.

Pretty sure one isnt newsworthy as I have stated. Pretty sure the others all were especially since we suspended 4 guys for 6 weeks. have no idea what those rolling eyes mean. Maybe you do.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I have no idea why, but this thread title reminds me of a Rick Astley song :)

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Devilhead wrote:

Pretty sure one isnt newsworthy as I have stated. Pretty sure the others all were especially since we suspended 4 guys for 6 weeks. have no idea what those rolling eyes mean. Maybe you do.
But "Front Page Newsworthy" ??????

Cmon Plug surely you are not that blind or that disconnected to see that the media have gone completely and ridiculously overboard.

I have many friends (both non football and football crazy) that totally agree that the Saints are being bullied and harrassed by the media. Indiscretions that would barely rate a mention if they happened anywhere else in the world are being pushed as a NUMBER ONE news stories.

This is a classic case of school yard bullying with everyone now wanting to get a shot in - a few completely minor indiscretions complicated by lies and innuendo have now snowballed into an out of control monster with the media at the helm who are very quickly and viciously turning the screw.

It is beyond comprehension how this latest story re: Reiwoldt has even made the news let alone the front page

In any case this latest story has just proven that Reiwoldt was spot on with his comments and it is time the blowtorch is used to expose the media and how they can bully, harrass, persecute and oppress seemingly innocent groups and individuals and coerce and browbeat the general public without fear of retribution.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Devilhead wrote:

But "Front Page Newsworthy" ??????

Cmon Plug surely you are not that blind or that disconnected to see that the media have gone completely and ridiculously overboard.

I have many friends (both non football and football crazy) that totally agree that the Saints are being bullied and harrassed by the media. Indiscretions that would barely rate a mention if they happened anywhere else in the world are being pushed as a NUMBER ONE news stories.

This is a classic case of school yard bullying with everyone now wanting to get a shot in - a few completely minor indiscretions complicated by lies and innuendo have now snowballed into an out of control monster with the media at the helm who are very quickly and viciously turning the screw.

It is beyond comprehension how this latest story re: Reiwoldt has even made the news let alone the front page

In any case this latest story has just proven that Reiwoldt was spot on with his comments and it is time the blowtorch is used to expose the media and how they can bully, harrass, persecute and oppress seemingly innocent groups and individuals and coerce and browbeat the general public without fear of retribution.
This latest incident is a beat up as stated. The others are newsworthy because they were all in a short period of time. That makes minor things more major. Then when the clubs suspends guys for 6 weeks because of an incident it makes it even more newsworthy. You say not front page but the WB got page 3 today for some very minor thing that happened 3 months ago.

Any bad news in footy in just about front page stuff and when it happens all in a row it makes it even more. The media will do anything to sell papers and because it is our turn to stuff up they will milk it for anything even including this crap story on Rooy. My mine point on this is it doesnt matter what club stuffs up they will milk it for anything.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote: This latest incident is a beat up as stated.
Which proves Reiwoldt correct in his statement that the St Kilda Football is being targeted
plugger66 wrote: The others are newsworthy because they were all in a short period of time. That makes minor things more major.
The media have chosen to run with these St Kilda stories on the front page they have chosen to print stories aggrandized by lies and innuendo they have chosen to print stories which embarrassingly pathetic in content and substance. The media have made a decision to continually bully and persecute St Kilda with stories that would hardly rate a mention elsewhere in the world under similar circumstances.
plugger66 wrote:You say not front page but the WB got page 3 today for some very minor thing that happened 3 months ago.
So you agree that the media are out of control???
plugger66 wrote: Any bad news in footy in just about front page stuff and when it happens all in a row it makes it even more. The media will do anything to sell papers and because it is our turn to stuff up they will milk it for anything even including this crap story on Rooy. My mine point on this is it doesnt matter what club stuffs up they will milk it for anything.
And you are ok with this???

Actually let me answer this for you

No I don't think that you are OK with this it is just that you are too weak to speak out or too weak to want to do anything about it. You have quite happily resigned to the fact that the media can ride roughshod, bully and persecute whoever they want because "more than likely in your mind" you can't do anything about it so why try because that's the way it is

Just another ordinary Joe with his tongue cut out hey Plug

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote:
plugger66 wrote: This latest incident is a beat up as stated.
Which proves Reiwoldt correct in his statement that the St Kilda Football is being targeted
plugger66 wrote: The others are newsworthy because they were all in a short period of time. That makes minor things more major.
The media have chosen to run with these St Kilda stories on the front page they have chosen to print stories aggrandized by lies and innuendo they have chosen to print stories which embarrassingly pathetic in content and substance. The media have made a decision to continually bully and persecute St Kilda with stories that would hardly rate a mention elsewhere in the world under similar circumstances.
plugger66 wrote:You say not front page but the WB got page 3 today for some very minor thing that happened 3 months ago.
So you agree that the media are out of control???
plugger66 wrote: Any bad news in footy in just about front page stuff and when it happens all in a row it makes it even more. The media will do anything to sell papers and because it is our turn to stuff up they will milk it for anything even including this crap story on Rooy. My mine point on this is it doesnt matter what club stuffs up they will milk it for anything.
And you are ok with this???

Actually let me answer this for you

No I don't think that you are OK with this it is just that you are too weak to speak out or too weak to want to do anything about it. You have quite happily resigned to the fact that the media can ride roughshod, bully and persecute whoever they want because "more than likely in your mind" you can't do anything about it so why try because that's the way it is

Just another ordinary Joe with his tongue cut out hey Plug
I will answer the first and last statement. The Saints are getting picked on at the moment but most of it is their own doing. The latest one isnt. It would happen to any club in the same predicament so yes we are targeted at the moment but any club would be if they were in the same boat.

As for the last statement you are completely wrong. I fail to get upset with most written in the media because it just doesnt worry me and if it does I ignore it. I actually cant believe how people complain about things but continue to read and hear them and then complain again. Its like they enjoy the pain.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote: The Saints are getting picked on at the moment but most of it is their own doing.
So if someone little kid gets picked on in the playground then most of it would probably be their fault??? :shock: :shock:
plugger66 wrote: The latest one isnt. It would happen to any club in the same predicament so yes we are targeted at the moment but any club would be if they were in the same boat.
I guess Reiwoldt was right!!!!!! :twisted: Cheers Plug
plugger66 wrote:I actually cant believe how people complain about things but continue to read and hear them and then complain again. Its like they enjoy the pain.
It's called passion which is the opposite of being boring as batshit

St Lenny
Club Player

How very right you were Roo...........................

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote:
plugger66 wrote: The Saints are getting picked on at the moment but most of it is their own doing.
So if someone little kid gets picked on in the playground then most of it would probably be their fault??? :shock: :shock:
plugger66 wrote: The latest one isnt. It would happen to any club in the same predicament so yes we are targeted at the moment but any club would be if they were in the same boat.
I guess Reiwoldt was right!!!!!! :twisted: Cheers Plug
plugger66 wrote:I actually cant believe how people complain about things but continue to read and hear them and then complain again. Its like they enjoy the pain.
It's called passion which is the opposite of being boring as batshit
It called enjoying pain and you do it well. It is also going around in circles. Are you giddy?