People 'are trying to break us down': Nick Riewoldt

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Enrico_Misso wrote:How many games did Greg Denham play!
If we are going to argue that sort of stuff then we are struggling. I cant stand Greg Denham but what the hell dooes the amount of games played mean?

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Nice to hear Andrew Maher and Andew Gaze get slapped down by two St.Kilda supporters this morning on SEn when they tried to say everything was all the Saints fault.

First caller was spot on when she said they had mised the point and that it was a reaction to the final BS article fabrication about SG in NZ. Made them back away at a million miles an hour when she told them Hinch had bucketed Gilbert on the fabricated rumours and lies.

Second caller told them to pull their head out of their arses if they think the 17 y.o. girl wasn't trying to destabilise the club.

Both Maher and Gaze sounded a bit non plussed at the defence of the Saints and that their meme and agenda had been hijacked by common sense.

Well done to the two Saints supporters. Instead of bucketing the saints like most of you lot, they got on the front foot and rightly defended them.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

I wonder how closely they neded to look at their photo gallery to get the pic of Michael and Greg for todays H-S-

I thought apart from looking tired by end of enveing they actually stood and delivered well.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
jonesy
Saintsational Legend

I can't do the media anymore apart from the news at 6,and even some of there pieces cut a fine line.

The media no longer report the news,they create it. Far too many journalists out there looking for a story,creating hysteria and BS,feeding the mass quantities of bogans out there who believe it

Bring back the Lockett era
ralphsmith
SS Hall of Fame

I heard Riewoldt on the radio this morning saying that. Sounded great in my opinion. Great to hear the captain say it.

I see there's already a 100+ reply thread on bigfooty this morning proving every word Riewoldt said is true.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

ralphsmith wrote:I heard Riewoldt on the radio this morning saying that. Sounded great in my opinion. Great to hear the captain say it.

I see there's already a 100+ reply thread on bigfooty this morning proving every word Riewoldt said is true.
If Maxwell, Brown, Hodge or Judd et al said similar they'd be roundly applauded in football circles for their passion and belief.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
ralphsmith
SS Hall of Fame

Thinline wrote:If Maxwell, Brown, Hodge or Judd et al said similar they'd be roundly applauded in football circles for their passion and belief.
Very very very very true.

Gershwin
Club Player

Got to take what's happened and use it positively.

Well done Captain.

summertime and the living is easy ........
InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

saintspremiers wrote:
3rd generation saint wrote:Most of the time coaches don't walk out, they're kicked out.
Good to hear Roo's words, more importantly, what was the mood from the supporters?
Ross has three young kids.

He'd be silly not to consider an offer if it was significantly better than what
The Saints can offer.
I don't believe the club exists that can offer significantly more than what the Saints can offer. Money does not account for even half of it.

Forgive me if I've drunk the Kool-aid but I believe what Westaway et. al. say about our club!

We have one of the best-run clubs in the league, with great people and (finally) training facilities to match.

St Kilda are growing in stature as a club and the vested interests of the other big clubs will try anything to suppress this.

Part of the club's growing pains will be to deal with the increased attention and guerilla warfare that no doubt has always existed in one form or another in the industry.

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
saintly
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
3rd generation saint wrote:Most of the time coaches don't walk out, they're kicked out.
Good to hear Roo's words, more importantly, what was the mood from the supporters?

The Saints can offer.
well i doubt that saints will sack hm, therefore, if he walks, he walks, what can you do, just like players.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

It seems I am so out of sync with everyone when it comes to things Roo says and does, I try not to be, but it seems I always miss what it is about the message that is so inspiring? :(

I found it odd how far removed the major part of his message was to his coach, CEO and President?

But it's just me, again.

Oh how awkward, how very awkward. :?

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

saintly wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:

The Saints can offer.
well i doubt that saints will sack hm, therefore, if he walks, he walks, what can you do, just like players.
And judging by past experience on this forum re the likes of GT and Luke Ball, Lyon's name would be dirt on here for months to come: and plugger66 and I would be the only posters on here defending him!! :wink:

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

BTW, I thought Riewoldt's speech was good. Had a touch of the Anna Bligh about it.

I saw it as a bit of high-flown rhetoric rather than as a serious suggestion the rest of the world was out to get the SKFC.

Anyway, there undoubtedly are people out there trying to bring down the club: Ms KD for one.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

Clearly there are some players who need to pull their heads in and I’m sure the club will deal with them accordingly, but I think there is definitely those out there who hate us enough as a club and would love nothing more than to see us implode. We are most definitely Collingwood’s biggest threat in disrupting their 2011 flag campaign. Riewoldt is merely trying to rally the club faithful in a time where we are on verge of a season that could potentially result in a premiership. The Eddie media machine and other clubs are happy in trying to hound us down. We need to all take it on the chin and stick fat with the club through our support. It’s not Riewoldts fault, or many of the other players fault this sort of crap is going on. Don’t punish the entire group because of the actions committed by a few and play into the hands of those who hate us.

Btw, loved the efforts I’ve been reading about McEvoy! Breaking the 10min mark for the 3km! That’s moving!

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:It seems I am so out of sync with everyone when it comes to things Roo says and does, I try not to be, but it seems I always miss what it is about the message that is so inspiring? :(

I found it odd how far removed the major part of his message was to his coach, CEO and President?

But it's just me, again.

Oh how awkward, how very awkward. :?
SainterK, no one, and I repeat no one could have foreseen a few months ago what was about to happen to this club of ours.

It's affected us in ways we don't fully realise or understand. It's only natural we respond to each story and each response by each individual differently.

I personally thought Roo's speech was fantastic. You on the other hand seem to think it was a bit cringeworthy. I can understand those who may think that.

What we all really, really need urgently is some footy :wink:

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
What we all really, really need urgently is some footy :wink:
AMEN HALLELUJAH AND THANK THE SWEET BABY JESUS YES!!!!!!!!!!

And then they go and cancel the All Stars game...

I was locked in for beer and footy at 5.30 on ABC and they pull the pin...

Damn this preseason. Damn it to hell.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Richter
SS Life Member

Thinline wrote:He wears his heart on his sleeve. At some club's that means he's automatically feted as a champion. At St Kilda that makes him a victim.

Fair dinkum I wish this shallow PR spin bulls*** connotation on everything would f*** off and die a death.

It's football, for christ's sakes. The rest is pure rubbish.

Well and truly over the whole twisted garbage.

Tipping point was Fat slug Robinson this arvo tweeting 'the St K players should all go toe Baldock's funeral to get some perspective'.

I mean a bloke dies, a true champion of the game, and the grubby dog journo that he is can't help but erect a soap box on Baldock's still warm carcass and try to play moral crusader.

Football. Freaking FOOTBALL.

Remember it? You know where blokes bust their guts chasing a Sherrin around? That game?

For christ's sakes...sick to death of too much to list...
Best damn post I've read in a long long time. Absolutely spot on.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
Richter
SS Life Member

saint66au wrote:I was at the AGM also..Roos speech was magnificent. Sadly waords cant translate the look in his eyes when he was speaking, you really had to be there
Really wish I had been Michael. Was working all night so couldn't get there to support the boys. So glad to hear the fighting words. They've made a few blues, but so much of this recent stuff has been blown way out of proportion.

Absolutely correct re people trying to take St Kilda down - for some reason plenty of people love to try and paint St Kilda as the "party club" still.

Just is not true. Last years events (around the boys reaction to the Lovett scenario) made me proud to be a Sainter. A friend of mine is a CASA social worker and massive Saints fan - she said that she felt that the stand the boys took against their teammate to stick up for the girl was admirable, and showed real strength of character.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
Maxstar22 wrote:
SainterK wrote:A bit victim for mine...just my opinion.
I think it may read like that K, but honestly when he said the words out loud, it wasn't anything like that at all. Just my opinion though 8-)
and everyone is entitled to one 8-)

I'm not sure what other way you can read it though, it's an 'everyone is out to get us' message.

He must of felt it appropriate, but I don't see it's timeliness.

It's also completely removed from Ross Lyon's message really.
sainterK when the video is up - or even visit the herald sun site- there is part of speech on righ hand side in video section.
It certainly was NOT the main emphasis of his speech
and when you take into a count the couple of months he has had- one the photos and 2 then being hassled in the street and then the nZ trip with it's dissapointing end and knowing how he does stress about things- from his reactions over the years- then any sharpness in words chosen is understandable.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

meher baba wrote:
saintly wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:

The Saints can offer.
And judging by past experience on this forum re the likes of GT and Luke Ball, Lyon's name would be dirt on here for months to come: and plugger66 and I would be the only posters on here defending him!! :wink:
What about me :shock:

No Contract, No contact :shock:
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:
ralphsmith wrote:I heard Riewoldt on the radio this morning saying that. Sounded great in my opinion. Great to hear the captain say it.

If Maxwell, Brown, Hodge or Judd et al said similar they'd be roundly applauded in football circles for their passion and belief.
So what are you saying. People pick on us or Rooy isnt liked. IMO neither is true.

Richter
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
Thinline wrote:

So what are you saying. People pick on us or Rooy isnt liked. IMO neither is true.
People like to see us as the joke, "party culture club".

Clear that Rooey is not liked. Many games through the season you'll hear oppo supporters having a personal go at him - far more than say J Brown.

For some reason some players attract this level of dislike.

in the midfielders stakes, someone like Luke Hodge is liked far more by the opposition barrackers than Chris Judd for example.

:?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Richter wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Thinline wrote:

People like to see us as the joke, "party culture club".

Clear that Rooey is not liked. Many games through the season you'll hear oppo supporters having a personal go at him - far more than say J Brown.

For some reason some players attract this level of dislike.

in the midfielders stakes, someone like Luke Hodge is liked far more by the opposition barrackers than Chris Judd for example.

:?
Rooy may be less like than Brown but I have hardly heard bood like some players. My point is if any of those players said it after similar things happening at their club IMO the reaction from the media would be the same as what is happening now. I refuse to believe that we are less liked in the media than other clubs. I reckon some people on here are starting to sound like soccer supporters who always seem to claim they get a bad deal about everyting they do from every section of the media. People hear want they want to hear and if you only take in the negative you will always believe that only negative things are said about you.

The_Merchant
Club Player

Plugger, not all of the football media are professional journalists. Quite a few are ex-players with certain allegiances for or against certain clubs.

It is quite obvious that some ex-players as well as some journalists are not fans of our club.

Others are ex-players or supporters of our club so it works both ways.

G Healy is a saints fan and unashamedly so. D Brereton is outwardly anti-saints, D King is not a fan and takes any chance to stick the boots in, and S Quartermain is definitely not a fan. Half of SEN barrack for the saints.
Footy is a passionate game and if you have preconceived ideas about a club it can sometimes show in your reporting.

The other factor at play here is that it is of benefit to the media to continue to find dirt on StKilda. They are in the news for the wrong reasons, and the more people can dig up, the more papers they can sell. If you think that the media doesn't jump on the band wagon and sink the boots in when they can, have a look at how QANTAS is represented in the media.

A couple of years ago, a QANTAS plane had to turn back to land for a completely innocuous reason which warranted a three page spread, on the very same day, a Rex plane landed at Sydney airport with an engine on fire. An airport worker rang a Sydney newspaper to report that it had happened, the journalist asked if it was a QANTAS plane, when the employee replied that it was Rex, the journalist said he wasn't interested.

Journalists, editors and sports commentators have one job before all others, to sell newspapers and increase ratings. Saints scandal sells papers.

If at first you don't succeed, sky diving is not for you.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

The_Merchant wrote:Plugger, not all of the football media are professional journalists. Quite a few are ex-players with certain allegiances for or against certain clubs.

It is quite obvious that some ex-players as well as some journalists are not fans of our club.

Others are ex-players or supporters of our club so it works both ways.

G Healy is a saints fan and unashamedly so. D Brereton is outwardly anti-saints, D King is not a fan and takes any chance to stick the boots in, and S Quartermain is definitely not a fan. Half of SEN barrack for the saints.
Footy is a passionate game and if you have preconceived ideas about a club it can sometimes show in your reporting.

The other factor at play here is that it is of benefit to the media to continue to find dirt on StKilda. They are in the news for the wrong reasons, and the more people can dig up, the more papers they can sell. If you think that the media doesn't jump on the band wagon and sink the boots in when they can, have a look at how QANTAS is represented in the media.

A couple of years ago, a QANTAS plane had to turn back to land for a completely innocuous reason which warranted a three page spread, on the very same day, a Rex plane landed at Sydney airport with an engine on fire. An airport worker rang a Sydney newspaper to report that it had happened, the journalist asked if it was a QANTAS plane, when the employee replied that it was Rex, the journalist said he wasn't interested.

Journalists, editors and sports commentators have one job before all others, to sell newspapers and increase ratings. Saints scandal sells papers.
But what you said would go for every club not just ours. And why would a Saints scandel sell more papers than a Pies one? It wouldnt. We are in the news because we are making the news not because everyone and every thing has a vendetta against our club.