Time for a broom to be swept through

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Time for a broom to be swept through

While only minor in the scheme of what things could of been, it would be silly to treat it that way internally at the club.

I think it's a perfect opportunity to make changes, new facility, new season, new beginning. Something isn't right, and constantly applying spakfilla isn't going to fix it IMO.

It's far easier to make a list of guys who have made the headlines for the wrong reasons over the past couple of months, then to think of the one's who haven't....which isn't fair really.

It's hard not to entertain that perhaps this is why the side we support is an 'almost' side, it's never really been about the talent has it?

I don't expect choir boys, but I expect them to give a stuff.

Ross Lyon said recently St Kilda stood for something, time to make that stand.

I have expressed my sentiments on what some of those changes should be, IMO it's a perfect time for some changes in the leadership group. I don't think it's important to justify how a role has made a player who they are today, I want to hear in a couple of years how a role has made the 'team' who they are.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Re: Time for a broom to be swept through

SainterK wrote:
IMO it's a perfect time for some changes in the leadership group. .
Why?

Do you really think that Lenny, Roo etc are the problem?

Were any of the 4 in the leadership group?

IMO..Zac is now a serial offender and worse is most likely a serial "leader' of players going astray.

He needs to be read the riot act...and needs to face up to his own shortcomings.

Despite the hype in the media and on this forum, MOST StKilda players are doing the right thing.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
SainterK wrote:
Why?

IMO..Zac is now a serial offender and worse is most likely a serial "leader' of players going astray.

He needs to be read the riot act...and needs to face up to his own shortcomings.

Despite the hype in the media and on this forum, MOST StKilda players are doing the right thing.
Maybe he needs to disassociate himself with Buddy.

markp
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote: IMO..Zac is now a serial offender and worse is most likely a serial "leader' of players going astray.

This was posted in another thread...
damian barrett twitter "Just got a call from Ross Lyon - he said he didn't say, "Go f... yourselves" to his players re NZ curfew-break
and
"While he is the biggest name of the offending Saints, Dawson almost-unlucky to be embroiled"

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
SainterK wrote:
Why?

I really can't answer that, I know that there is a long list of players now who don't seem to be taking things that seriously, so where do you start looking?

Zac should be on his last chance, but that hardly solves anything in the greater scheme.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:

I really can't answer that, I know that there is a long list of players now who don't seem to be taking things that seriously, so where do you start looking?

Can you name names so that we can see who is on the long list?

Personally IMO we have the vast majority of our players doing the right thing most of the time.

I also think that there seems to be a growing unrealistic expectation that players should never drink or have fun etc.

Now the training camp incident is clearly unacceptable, and crosses the line.

But let's not shoot the entire playing list, most of whom are doing what they should be doing.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

IMO the punishment is good one.

The players having been "banished" are now going to be subjected to mammoth humiliation. Friends, family, team-mates all know they ave been excluded.

Those on the training camp who did the right thing can charge on, while those who need to lift their game have to go away and rectify their behaviour.

They need to earn back their team-mates respect...and in a team sport like AFL it is massive wake-up call and punishment to be excluded from your club, and team-mates.

To be part of the team again they now need to reflect and reform.

GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

Let's leave the ritual slaughter until the end of the season.

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.
markp
Saintsational Legend

Hmmmm... you do gotta wonder.

Could you even imagine someone just taking a todger shot of Lenny for a laugh... and then not immediately complying with a request to delete it... and then still being able walk if they didn't... or still breath if it carelessly fell into the wrong hands, and was published??

The fish rots at the head.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Firstly, I would regard this as Zacs first offence. I dont think posing for a photo is an offence. That was just silly bad luck but pretty harmless .

Secondly I think 6 weeks with a real job will do them the world of good.

Thirdly some on here may recall an opposition poster on bigfooty a year or 2 ago saying Saints Footy was so intense and dour as to be unsustainable for a group of young men (and assistant coaches) and that the lack of fun in saints footy and constant intensity was so unnatural it would have to unravel. Not sure if thats prescient but I think up until this incident it appeared Ross Lyon was trying to lighten things up a bit in general recently.

Anyway I have no idea if thats just a silly theory or not.

IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

saintsRrising wrote:

How is he a serial offender? What were his other offences? Surely you don't mean being in a photo?

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

IluvHarvey wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:

How is he a serial offender? What were his other offences? Surely you don't mean being in a photo?
He lost his license, but surely that doesn't count?

StSteven
Club Player

It worries me the access to sleeping tablets. There is a bigger, more dangerous issue here and that is, the medical staff. I hope they are not negligently handing out these things and players abusing them.

CEO's answers to questions on SEN was evasive in my opinion.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

IluvHarvey wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:

No I don't mean the photo. Gilbert was the only culprit in that.

I may be misremembering but I thought that Zac had been involved in a few "social' incidents., of which this is the most serious.

In this incident Zac, while not old....has been around four seasons more than the others and so should have been leading by example and not participating. He is four years older and almost 25, whereas they are all under 21.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Tue 01 Feb 2011 10:25am, edited 2 times in total.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

It's not ideal and we expect better of the players, but let's not overreact. The hysteria over some boys going out on the tear is a bit much.

They've copped their whack and hopefully will learn something from it.

This will blow over and it won't be long before a scandal involving another club surfaces ... you can count on it.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

hopefully its about a team on the juice...juice that cant quite be detected yet, but some know its out there and got in before its put on some funny list labeled 'Banned".
then the afl can deny it and keep the image of the sport as clean as possible and make themselves all look good in the process.

funny
that we manage to have a story 'leak' as soon as another story and its 'rumors' were hitting its peak
afl: nope sorry, nothing to see hear

oh look at this whats this over here well look at that st kilda, rape, sex, girls, pills, alcohol, fights...gee whizz look at that

EVERY time

GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:It's not ideal and we expect better of the players, but let's not overreact. The hysteria over some boys going out on the tear is a bit much.
Is it?

What sort of alcoholics do we have playing for us who can't forgo the piss for one week?

No moral fibre, and it shows at finals time.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

GrumpyOne wrote:
bigcarl wrote:It's not ideal and we expect better of the players, but let's not overreact. The hysteria over some boys going out on the tear is a bit much.
Is it?

What sort of alcoholics do we have playing for us who can't forgo the piss for one week?

Oh come on GO. You ever been to NZ? You have to get on the turps and medication just to get through the day there. :D

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
GrumpyOne wrote:
Is it?

Oh come on GO. You ever been to NZ? You have to get on the turps and medication just to get through the day there. :D
LOL.

Never been there, but I'll take your experiences into consideration. :lol:

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
GrumpyOne wrote:
Is it?

Spot on: I once saw a pretend newspaper headline about NZ

TERRIBLE TRAGEDY: THREE MILLION PEOPLE TRAPPED ALIVE IN THE SOUTH PACIFIC

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:
joffaboy wrote:
GrumpyOne wrote:
Is it?

Spot on: I once saw a pretend newspaper headline about NZ

TERRIBLE TRAGEDY: THREE MILLION PEOPLE TRAPPED ALIVE IN THE SOUTH PACIFIC
yes spot on there mb - we should be actually lauding the 35 or so who had tremendous self will to NOT get on the turps and drugs while marooned in that hellhole :D :D

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

GrumpyOne wrote:
Is it?

They are very naughty boys.

wallbanger
Club Player

Playing the devil's advocta here - but if this were another teams' misdemeanours and someone put up the line "Do you really think Roo and Lenny, Roo etc are the problem" then we would probably come down on them like this.

1. Whilst it wasn't his fault at all, Roo (the Captain) was caught in the middle of the nude photo scandal with his manhood out for all to see. Whilst I actually thought this photo was kinda funny (stuffing around on a footy trip) nevertheless it was out Captain in a position that he never should have been in. Period.

2. Lenny (our spiritual leader) had his nose broken whilst out on the piss with serial pest Bakes only a few months ago.

Now I am at pains to say that I don't think these two guys are leading a gang of uncontrollable louts, however the fact still remains that our leaders have not been exactly exemplary in their behaviour of late. I know I will get shouted down for this - nobody loves those two players more than I - but it just seems like one disaster after another, and the buck stops at the leadership group, which has always seemed so strong and positive.

The Coach can say all he wants - in the end, when the players have time to themselves (like Judd's lack of intervention with Fevola at the Brownlow) our LEADERS need to step up and step in.

I for one am really disllusioned with the Club right now...

Please...let's win a Premiership before GEELONG!!!! (O.k., so we've missed that opportunity...maybe let's win the next one before Geelong????)
fingers
Saintsational Legend

Interesting comment from an American mate.....why do the clubs take responsibility for this stuff? You stuff up. You're out. Clubs are in the business of winning not being social welfare centres.

"Zac, Jack, Rhys, you there....the other one....we don't want people like you working for us. You're out"

Would we get the same support in our workplace?

Thoughts?

matrix
Saintsational Legend