I had a coffee with a Pies supporter today!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

If ever we had a chance to wipe that club off the face of the earth I would take it. This guy is a mate - but their supporters are so sure of themselves a d their club it's sickening. He was prattling on about how they can only get better and that they will win another flag! Now this guy us normally a reasonable individual but when it cones to footy and that club ge is a total f-wit. It just kills me that we lost to that club I just can't bare it!

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Re: I had a coffee with a Pies supporter today!

WinnersOnly wrote:If ever we had a chance to wipe that club off the face of the earth I would take it. This guy is a mate - but their supporters are so sure of themselves a d their club it's sickening. He was prattling on about how they can only get better and that they will win another flag! Now this guy us normally a reasonable individual but when it cones to footy and that club ge is a total f-wit. It just kills me that we lost to that club I just can't bare it!
While there is a very big difference between fans and the club itself, they have very high expectations that they can follow up and fair enough. You should be happy they are thinking that way. They were only one point away from devestation. So many variables and one or two key injuries will bring them right back to the field.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
I Love Peter Kiel
Club Player

If it's any consolation, I think it's highly unlikely Collingwood will make the Grand Final this year.

Three reasons, mainly.

1. Just because there are young players in a Premiership side doesn't necessarily equate to more Premierships.

Collingwood's rovers in 1990, Tony Francis and Scott Russell, and their ruckman Damian Monkhorst, were each about 20 years old on Grand Final Day that year. None of them played in another Grand Final..in fact they never got past the first week of the Finals again!
Calthorpe was 20 yrs old in the '93 Essendon Premiership side and never played in another Grand Final. Some of that team did last until the next Flag but had to wait 7 years'
Hawthorn had a lot of young players in '08. They haven't got past the first week of the Finals since.

2. The older players like Fraser, Prestigiacomo, Medhurst etc got the club through a lot of the hard early games, and through the cold winter, shielding the younger players from having to slog through the entire long season. As a result the young players were fresh when September came. Even when the old guys weren't playing they were there to give support.The old players are now largely gone, and the likes of "Tony" Blair will have to cope on their own for the entire pre-season comp, 22 home and away rounds plus the Finals (if they get there).

3. The change from 4 interchange players to three plus a sub will really hurt Collingwood's game plan...Malthouse exploited the bench to the absolute max and he just won't be able to do that with the new system.

In honour of those who went before, in the dark and desperate years.
Moccha
Saintsational Legend

Plus the AFL will kick them out of the comp once someone is able to prove that some of their players were taking HGH

Another opportunity awaits!
I Love Peter Kiel
Club Player

I think that's been covered on other posts...it sounds like they pushed it to the absolute limit of six players taking the stuff. More, and it would be cheating. That's pretty arbitrary, isn't it?

Sounds like they don't really care what's going to happen to those players years from now I'm talikng about the long-term side effects of taking HGH).

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

Well if it's true then all other teams will be doing the same

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Did he pay for his coffee?

backit
Club Player

You have another friend, I'm shattered I thought I was your only mate!

PJ
SS Life Member

That's freaky I had a pie with my coffee this morning.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

I Love Peter Kiel wrote:If it's any consolation, I think it's highly unlikely Collingwood will make the Grand Final this year.

Three reasons, mainly.

1. Just because there are young players in a Premiership side doesn't necessarily equate to more Premierships.

Collingwood's rovers in 1990, Tony Francis and Scott Russell, and their ruckman Damian Monkhorst, were each about 20 years old on Grand Final Day that year. None of them played in another Grand Final..in fact they never got past the first week of the Finals again!
Calthorpe was 20 yrs old in the '93 Essendon Premiership side and never played in another Grand Final. Some of that team did last until the next Flag but had to wait 7 years'
Hawthorn had a lot of young players in '08. They haven't got past the first week of the Finals since.

2. The older players like Fraser, Prestigiacomo, Medhurst etc got the club through a lot of the hard early games, and through the cold winter, shielding the younger players from having to slog through the entire long season. As a result the young players were fresh when September came. Even when the old guys weren't playing they were there to give support.The old players are now largely gone, and the likes of "Tony" Blair will have to cope on their own for the entire pre-season comp, 22 home and away rounds plus the Finals (if they get there).

3. The change from 4 interchange players to three plus a sub will really hurt Collingwood's game plan...Malthouse exploited the bench to the absolute max and he just won't be able to do that with the new system.
Interesting facts and the Hawks also support that merit.

I have more Collingwood friends than I like to admit, with the exception of one who at least tries not to be full his club's alleged invincibility, they all think that they're unbeatable. I don't blame them for acknowledging that they're the best team in the comp and I reckon they'll make the next grand final.

What doesn't make them unbeatable is that our beloved Saints don't nearly have the depth or youth their line-up does, but they still had to play us in a grand final REMATCH to beat us. While I would have taken have taken a victory in the rematch as a premiership in our own right, I think Collingwood fans forget how close they were to Kevin Sheedy being right and if a drawn result would have led to extra time like the rest of the finals series, he very well could have been.

Bad management is bad management
I Love Peter Kiel
Club Player

PS there were plenty of young players in the 1980 Richmond side which beat Collingwood by a (then) record margin of 81 pts in the Grand Final.

The back page of the following Monday's Sun newspaper boldly announced the start of "The Richmond Era".

"The Richmond Era".....one lost GF in '82 and one or two lost Prelims in 30 years...and counting!

I Love Peter Kiel
Club Player

Anyway my point is you can agree with your mate that the 'Pies were the best team last year when it counted.

BUT it doesn't necessarily follow that they'll be great this year.

Every time a team has a big win in a GF (I'm sorry to recall it, but it was almost 10 goals) everyone gets sucked in including media. journos, whatever to thinking that team'll be unbeatable the following season.
Geelong won by almost 20 goals and WERE almost unbeatable the next season, but NOT when it counted..Grand Final day.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Prepare for more pain! They are an awesome side. (who just happen to be followed by ferals) If we are anywhere NEAR to making a GF I'll be amazed (and happy :D )

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

thejiggingsaint wrote:Prepare for more pain! They are an awesome side. (who just happen to be followed by ferals) If we are anywhere NEAR to making a GF I'll be amazed (and happy :D )
Bollocks to that!!!

I'll be amazed if they have any more rabbits to pull out of their hat.

If the Saints can make it through the year without significant injury they will be as serious a contender as any - yet again.

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

I do agree with Peter Kiel that the new substitute rule will hurt them.
Yes they have a young talented side, but then so did Essendon in 93, Hawthorn 08 etc.
Plus every coach will be examining how to break their game down.
Also new season, new set of circumstances, if they lose someone like Jolly, they will be in trouble.
Plus let's be honest, we had a terrible amount of bad luck last year, we never really played great football, we just kept winning, but despite that, we still ended up almost winning it, one straight bounce and Collingwood would be talking about how to get their revenge for last year.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

And you found your house had been robbed whilst you were away.

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.
matrix
Saintsational Legend

saints pies
gf 3

lock it in

Maxstar22
Club Player

matrix wrote:saints pies
gf 3

lock it in
See you there 8-)

matrix
Saintsational Legend

F*** oath baby!

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Re: I had a coffee with a Pies supporter today!

WinnersOnly wrote:If ever we had a chance to wipe that club off the face of the earth I would take it. This guy is a mate - but their supporters are so sure of themselves a d their club it's sickening. He was prattling on about how they can only get better and that they will win another flag! Now this guy us normally a reasonable individual but when it cones to footy and that club ge is a total f-wit. It just kills me that we lost to that club I just can't bare it!
These threads along with the "I watched that match" threads are highly irratating...

I dont want to have coffees with pie supporters, and i dont want to watch losing grand finals matches.... Clear I dont want to hear about other people and their experiences..... For the very irratating reasons mentioned above.

If people want to surround themselves with irnorant pies supporters that just won the flag, or watch us threow three grand finals away.. Do it. Bt dont want to hear about it.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Hey Inker "bollocks to that" is it? I didn't see us pull many rabbits out the hat in the replay, most of 'em were wearing our guernsey!

I Love Peter Kiel
Club Player

3rd generation saint wrote:I do agree with Peter Kiel that the new substitute rule will hurt them.
Yes they have a young talented side, but then so did Essendon in 93, Hawthorn 08 etc.
Plus every coach will be examining how to break their game down.
Also new season, new set of circumstances, if they lose someone like Jolly, they will be in trouble.
Plus let's be honest, we had a terrible amount of bad luck last year, we never really played great football, we just kept winning, but despite that, we still ended up almost winning it, one straight bounce and Collingwood would be talking about how to get their revenge for last year.
This makes a lot of sense.
Think of all the setbacks we had last year. We drafted a ready-made player who never played for us. Rooey missed about 12 wks.
OK we didn't win the ultimate prize but to get as far as we did says a lot about the group. Obviously the drawn Grand Final...we just never gave up. But what about the draw with Hawthorn.....the game was lost and we came from nowhere. The win over the Dogs (when Robert Walls had said that week that the Saints could end up as 'dog food'!) The wins over Geelong. We never give up! I don't see that ending anytime soon.

The 'Pies have got the 2010 Premiership...it goes in the book. But that guarantees NOTHING in 2011.

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

thejiggingsaint wrote:Hey Inker "bollocks to that" is it? I didn't see us pull many rabbits out the hat in the replay, most of 'em were wearing our guernsey!
To cite the club's entire performance on one effort that wouldn't have even happened if we were not up to our necks in it is poor form.

I stand behind everything I wrote. We will be back in it this year, and bollocks to your negative and defeatist attitude. I urge you to have a think about your motivations for writing such tripe, for I reckon you are capable of far better than this.

I've seen your efforts on game day and I'm proud to count you as a fellow supporter, but you disappoint me with this.

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
Moccha
Saintsational Legend

Who paid?

degruch
Saintsational Legend

SydneySainter wrote:...but they still had to play us in a grand final REMATCH to beat us.
That's the part that gets me, I can't believe WE had to play them twice. :oops:

Worst nightmare realised. Luckily, I haven't had to bare gloating Pies fans, all my Pies mates have been very good about it (probably tempered by my admission that we were well a truly done by the best team on the second day), but inside I'm seathing that the worst possible result in football history was recorded.

We better be as ferkin' angry as I am this year.