Disappointed with the Herald Sun - Part 2

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

philtee
Club Player

Disappointed with the Herald Sun - Part 2

While Saintsational was down, a certain newspaper committed a low act, and managed to drag two revered footballers down with it.

December 29, the Herald Sun splashes with the front page story - "Footy greats blast Saints over pic scandal". Sigh.
Here's the link -
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/ian-s ... 5977441701

Five days earlier, KD had received a swift uppercut in Court and was keeping quiet. But in the media, the story has to go on.
Now, would it have been Skilts or Stewy that first phoned up the HS to express their outrage? I doubt it.
More likely - it would have been the HS ringing up TWENTY footy greats until they had TWO that gave them the answer they were looking for.
Get your two sources to spill, and bingo, it becomes journalism by numbers - Opinion 1, Opinion 2, a few quotes, plus a little back story, and you've got
a mucky front page that'll sell tons of papers in a slow news week.

My tip ? Skilts and Stewy are now a little embarrassed they said anything.
HS reporter Anthony Dowsley got a lurid front page to add to his CV.
And the Saints get thoroughly rogered by the media once again.

And don't get me started on Derryn.

starsign
Club Player

if all is to be believed in this media beatup Mr Stewart has a very short memory and would be in no great position to cast asperations on any latter St kilda players.......many supporters still about know some of the background as to how Yabbie Jeans was adamant he wanted the Brownlow Medallist out of our colours

What's that saying about people in glass houses????

mullet
Saintsational Legend

I was interested that Ian Stewart commented considering his past indiscretions. Hardly been squeeky clean himself.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Fast Forward to Monday 10/1/11. Our friends at the Herald Sun cover both St Kilda & Collingwood returning to training. The Collingwood story is accompanied by 36 pics of a wide variety of their players, not including Beams or McCarthy. The saints story is accompanied by 12 pics, 4 of "that" girl, the other 8 are a combination of Gilbo, Roo, NDS and Zac.

I know that all things Collingwood sell Newspapers, but I do hope that senior people at our club and/or the AFL are speaking with senior people at the Herald Sun about how things are being reported lately !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:Fast Forward to Monday 10/1/11. Our friends at the Herald Sun cover both St Kilda & Collingwood returning to training. The Collingwood story is accompanied by 36 pics of a wide variety of their players, not including Beams or McCarthy. The saints story is accompanied by 12 pics, 4 of "that" girl, the other 8 are a combination of Gilbo, Roo, NDS and Zac.

I know that all things Collingwood sell Newspapers, but I do hope that senior people at our club and/or the AFL are speaking with senior people at the Herald Sun about how things are being reported lately !!
Yes they are after us Eastern.

(in before plugger66)

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

I was actually surprised to see the Age drag it out later in the week- after the ' radio Interviews' and mid qld floods -- if there had been a comment section they would have gotten one

PS she has Finally changed her twitter name and locked it- maybe she is FINALLY getting and Listening to advice...

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:I was actually surprised to see the Age drag it out later in the week- after the ' radio Interviews' and mid qld floods -- if there had been a comment section they would have gotten one

PS she has Finally changed her twitter name and locked it- maybe she is FINALLY getting and Listening to advice...
She's been listening to advice alright and it's all about the old saying "any publicity is good publicity".

This girl knows exactly what she's about.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
saintbrat wrote:I was actually surprised to see the Age drag it out later in the week- after the ' radio Interviews' and mid qld floods -- if there had been a comment section they would have gotten one

She's been listening to advice alright and it's all about the old saying "any publicity is good publicity".

This girl knows exactly what she's about.
Aint that the truth Bernard.

She definitely needs help but that doesn't mean she's mental.

wallbanger
Club Player

The only way to treat these scumbags is to vote with your money.

Just don't buy the crap - the HS has become this century's version of 'The Truth', only without the page 3 girl.

Their treatment of St Kilda is reason enough to not buy it - it may only be a small thing, but if every St Kilda supporter didn't buy it we start to get a little bit of impact. The bonus is, of course, that you no longer have to read or put up with their sensationalist, biased rubbish.

Cut it - it feels great, believe me.

Please...let's win a Premiership before GEELONG!!!! (O.k., so we've missed that opportunity...maybe let's win the next one before Geelong????)
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

wallbanger wrote:The only way to treat these scumbags is to vote with your money.

Just don't buy the crap - the HS has become this century's version of 'The Truth', only without the page 3 girl.

Their treatment of St Kilda is reason enough to not buy it - it may only be a small thing, but if every St Kilda supporter didn't buy it we start to get a little bit of impact. The bonus is, of course, that you no longer have to read or put up with their sensationalist, biased rubbish.

Well I for one and many many others will continue to buy it even it they say they dont. Big deal. They write crap about our club. I trust you dont read this site either if things like that upset you.

And why would they be biased against our club. I am amazed with the chips on some peoples shoulders that they dont just topple over.

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

Come on plugger, no need to be disingenuous. Their coverage of St Kilda could at the very least be said to be antagonistic.

Although they are justified in providing more coverage to the current premiers, I'm not sure whether that's about them or just part of Collingwood's natural vanity and enthusiasm for getting ahead of themselves.

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
wallbanger
Club Player

You are such a sad person Plugger, I really feel sorry for you.

Keep buying the trash, I couldn't care less - just take note during the year of how many times you sit there shaking your head and commenting on what a load of crap the stories are.

There is a massive difference between a supposedly-unbiased NEWSPAPER delivering a clearly tainted opinion and someone on a forum voicing their opinion on a topic - if you can't see that, then you are sadder than I thought.

Please...let's win a Premiership before GEELONG!!!! (O.k., so we've missed that opportunity...maybe let's win the next one before Geelong????)
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

wallbanger wrote:You are such a sad person Plugger, I really feel sorry for you.

Keep buying the trash, I couldn't care less - just take note during the year of how many times you sit there shaking your head and commenting on what a load of crap the stories are.

There is a massive difference between a supposedly-unbiased NEWSPAPER delivering a clearly tainted opinion and someone on a forum voicing their opinion on a topic - if you can't see that, then you are sadder than I thought.

Strange idea on sad you have. You are the one worried about what a paper writes about us and I couldnt care less and I am the sad one. You sound like a sook who has had his bat and ball taken from him. I am far from sad but you look in the mirror today you will get a real idea of a sad individual.

By the way why would the paper be biased against our club? Please remove the chip and stop looking behind you all the time.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
Eastern wrote:Fast Forward to Monday 10/1/11. Our friends at the Herald Sun cover both St Kilda & Collingwood returning to training. The Collingwood story is accompanied by 36 pics of a wide variety of their players, not including Beams or McCarthy. The saints story is accompanied by 12 pics, 4 of "that" girl, the other 8 are a combination of Gilbo, Roo, NDS and Zac.

Yes they are after us Eastern.

(in before plugger66)
Told you :wink:

Leo.J
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:And why would they be biased against our club. I am amazed with the chips on some peoples shoulders that they dont just topple over.
Plugger no offence intended here, but I think you are a little niave regarding how power and money will influence just about anyone or anyhthing these days...especially the way news is reported.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Leo.J wrote:
plugger66 wrote:And why would they be biased against our club. I am amazed with the chips on some peoples shoulders that they dont just topple over.
Plugger no offence intended here, but I think you are a little niave regarding how power and money will influence just about anyone or anyhthing these days...especially the way news is reported.
So what does that have to do with our club? Arent we paying the paper enough to get our name out of it. Conspiracy theories. Apparently the world trade centre was also done by the Bush government.

Leo.J
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
Leo.J wrote:
So what does that have to do with our club? Arent we paying the paper enough to get our name out of it. Conspiracy theories. Apparently the world trade centre was also done by the Bush government.
Its not what you know plugger its who you know.

We've taken on the HS main competition as our major sponsor.

We don't have any heavy hitting allies in the media or politics, and we are middle of the road wealthy in the AFL.

I'm not sure if I'm a lefty conspiracy theorist, or if you're a gullible baby boomer, who is comfortable in his ignorance???

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Leo.J wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Leo.J wrote:

We don't have any heavy hitting allies in the media or politics, and we are middle of the road wealthy in the AFL.

I'm not sure if I'm a lefty conspiracy theorist, or if you're a gullible baby boomer, who is comfortable in his ignorance???
Well I am certainly not gullible. The Age considering the type of paper it apparently is has been running similar stories about this topic and they sponsor us. How do you explain that. Maybe just maybe both papers like the story and it has nothing to do with us being the hardly done by Saints.

Leo.J
SS Life Member

After having a quick look, just this year the HS have run 10 articles on this issue. And all of them barely have anything new in them, except for the odd quote from the girl when the girl attended training, or some new alleged rumours with no substanciating facts to go with it

The Age have had 4.

3 of them are based on new information regarding the issue, and 1 is an opinion piece, and it is called an opinion piece.

Most of the 10 articles in the HS are opinion pieces, but are labelled as news.

ozrulestrace
SS Hall of Fame

I'm not supporting the editorial style of the Herald Sun but there seems to be changes from mid-week on

First of all in the letters to the editor, a letter from a child psychologist castigating the paper for continually feeding the attention seeking behaviour of this girl. Basically, stop publishing everything she does as it only encourages her.

And so when the next article appeared re her twitter photos in St Kilda footy shorts during her pregnancy, (which is quite sick if you ask me) the article was way back around page 17 and mid paragraph on other sport news.

So maybe the legal people advised the editorial staff to lessen the exposure or, someone finally realised her behaviour has all of the indications of someone in need of some serious psychological help.

wallbanger
Club Player

"You sound like a sook who has had his bat and ball taken from him".....what the??????

Very strange, sad man Plugger. No sadness here, but your posts always seem to give me a laugh - usually when that is not the intent!

You are spot on Leo - anyone but those whose sole purpose in coming on this forum is just to irritate and oppose any opinion put forward, can see that.

Loving your stats re the articles and I couldn't agree more - the latest article I just looked at online by the HS ran with the senationalist headline about St Kilda rethinking their approach toward the 'girl' - then, upon reading the article, it mentioned nothing new instead talking about the hiring of the legal eagle (old news) and quotes from Nettlefold from Monday's training session about her (old news). Pathetic.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
wallbanger wrote:The only way to treat these scumbags is to vote with your money.

Well I for one and many many others will continue to buy it even it they say they dont. Big deal. They write crap about our club. I trust you dont read this site either if things like that upset you.

And why would they be biased against our club. I am amazed with the chips on some peoples shoulders that they dont just topple over.
Well some at the club believed it including the coach so do they have chips on their shoulders as well or are they perhaps just looking for an angle?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Well some at the club believed it including the coach so do they have chips on their shoulders as well or are they perhaps just looking for an angle?
Never heard that. Just sounds like another made up story. Fantasy land stuff

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Last edited by plugger66 on Sat 15 Jan 2011 11:04pm, edited 1 time in total.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
Leo.J wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Leo.J wrote:

Well I am certainly not gullible. The Age considering the type of paper it apparently is has been running similar stories about this topic and they sponsor us. How do you explain that. Maybe just maybe both papers like the story and it has nothing to do with us being the hardly done by Saints.
For once, +1. Seriously everyone, YAWN.
Here is a song that might help. Well worth a listen:
http://www.totallyfuzzy.net/ourtube/eag ... 746da.html

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.