OK back to business... let's talk NAB Cup

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Plugger66 wrote...

To be honest I hope both struggle to get a game.

I am in full agreement with this. I hope our youngsters are good enough to keep them both out. Otherwise it will be the same old.. these mature recruits being picked at the expence of the youngsters. This has been going on throughout Ross's tenure.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:Plugger66 wrote...

I am in full agreement with this. I hope our youngsters are good enough to keep them both out. Otherwise it will be the same old.. these mature recruits being picked at the expence of the youngsters. This has been going on throughout Ross's tenure.
During Ross's tenure, or while we have been a contender Barry?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

PJ wrote:
I don't care who's playing as long as they're our best 22 - if it's polo or shmollo it's all the same.
We know how these guys play and it aint great. At least if youngsters are ahead of them it means there should be more upside.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

SainterK said,
During Ross's tenure, or while we have been a contender Barry?

Are'nt they the same thing?

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

Eastern wrote:The Intra-Club game is normally on the Friday Night of the week before the 1st nab cup game. Has anyone heard where/when it will be this year? My guess is that it will be at Moorabbin on Friday 11 Feb !!
Moorabbin? I HOPE so. I presumed it would be seaford. Is it true the ground is a 3km walk from Seaford station ??! :shock:

PJ
SS Life Member

We know how these guys play and it aint great. At least if youngsters are ahead of them it means there should be more upside.
If the youngsters are good enough then more power to them - if they (Gamble & Polo) can improve our team structure then bring it on. If Ross sees some up side for the team I have no problem where they're from.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
Solar
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
PJ wrote:
I don't care who's playing as long as they're our best 22 - if it's polo or shmollo it's all the same.
IMO gamble has shown alot in his limited time at the cats behind a very good bunch of half forwards. If I had a choice between him or gilbo in the forward line I would start with him. Polo was a highly regarded junior who is highly regarded by lyon.

Would like simpkin be given ALOT of game time to hold down a half back role. Walsh is a interesting one who might get a go early in stanley does not hit the ground running.

Interested to see how the dribbler and jack go. Cripps should get a bit of game time also.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

iwantmeseats wrote:
Eastern wrote:The Intra-Club game is normally on the Friday Night of the week before the 1st nab cup game. Has anyone heard where/when it will be this year? My guess is that it will be at Moorabbin on Friday 11 Feb !!
Moorabbin? I HOPE so. I presumed it would be seaford. Is it true the ground is a 3km walk from Seaford station ??! :shock:
It would close to 3km. Would be better to catch a bus from Frankston Station to Seaford pub. about 300metres from there. I very much doubt there will be any intra-club games there in the short-medium term. No facilities for fans (toilets etc) or room to put them. No parking. Any more than about 600-800 fans and it would be very crowded. In a suburban street where they wouldn't want to upset the residents. Moorabbin is still more than capable of holding this event !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Perosnally would like to see Raph Clarke play in the preseason for once (showing that he's actually fit)

goddardisgod
Club Player

Injured/ not enough preseason: Gardiner, Kosi possibly Clarke and Jones

Too young/inexperienced: Andreoli, Ferguson, Curren, Crocker, Ledger, Sippos

The other 36 players can be whittled down.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:Perosnally would like to see Raph Clarke play in the preseason for once (showing that he's actually fit)
to be fair he started the intra club match on fire, racking up lots of stats on a wing, rebounding it back into the 50 and then PING his hammy went.

But agree, would be good to see him have a very good pre-season.

FQF
In richo I trust

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:
skeptic wrote:Perosnally would like to see Raph Clarke play in the preseason for once (showing that he's actually fit)
to be fair he started the intra club match on fire, racking up lots of stats on a wing, rebounding it back into the 50 and then PING his hammy went.

Lets hope the surgery he had last year fixes his hamstring problems for good !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

Solar
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:
Solar wrote:

Lets hope the surgery he had last year fixes his hamstring problems for good !!
if not it's off to new orleans fo some old fashion christian healing me thinks.....!!!! AMEN :wink:

FQF
In richo I trust

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

comfirmation that the team playing 1 and 3 can choose from full squad for second game

teams playing to games in a row can only make 3 changes
Clubs playing successive games can make changes only from their three emergencies, but those with a break can make unlimited changes.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/e ... 5989013794

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:comfirmation that the team playing 1 and 3 can choose from full squad for second game

Clubs playing successive games can make changes only from their three emergencies, but those with a break can make unlimited changes.
So Essendon can (rightly) give its full squad a run should they choose but us and Brisbane cant??

Weird

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Ice Wolf
Club Player

saintbrat wrote:comfirmation that the team playing 1 and 3 can choose from full squad for second game

That is such bulls***, all teams should have the same selection rules

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Ice Wolf wrote:

That is such bulls***, all teams should have the same selection rules

Why? It is a friggin practice match and teams playing the first and third games are playing under different conditions anyway. Let them choose what they like. doesn't make them stronger by the way. Only will weaken them.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Re: OK back to business... let's talk NAB Cup

InkerSaint wrote:36 days to go until our NAB Cup R1 game!

We expect to see the same old thing in the NAB Cup: the kids who are any chance to play will get a go early, and by the end of the comp all of the starting 22 will have got a game into them.

Who do you expect to see out of the players that have not played senior footy yet? And who should line up in our starting 22?

Fresh blood:

Tom Simpkin
Alistair Smith
Paul Cahill
Tommy Walsh
Will Johnson
Nick Winmar
Daniel Archer
Jamie Cripps

The top 3 have now been in the system for 2 years, the next 4 for a year, and we are told Cripps is ready to go.

My starting 22:

FB: Blake, Jason / Dawson, Zac / Baker, Steven
HB: Goddard, Brendon / Fisher, Sam / Gwilt, James
C: Dal Santo, Nick / Hayes, Lenny / Montagna, Leigh
HF: Gilbert, Sam / Riewoldt, Nick / Gamble, Ryan
FF: Schneider, Adam / Koschitzke, Justin / Milne, Stephen
R: Gardiner, Michael S. / Jones, Clinton / Gram, Jason
I: Ray, Farren / Peake, Brett / Armitage, David / McEvoy, Ben
E: Dempster, Sean / Clarke, Raphael / Stanley, Rhys

Your turn.
who told us cripps is ready to go? first ive had that. and ur starting 22 isnt very adveturous. if we keep that same 22 we will get run over. cant have blake and bakes in the same backlin and cant have kosi at ff. hes a liability. i expect kosi as 2nd ruck. roo move to ff and stanley at chf.

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

Con Gorozidis wrote:who told us cripps is ready to go? first ive had that. and ur starting 22 isnt very adveturous. if we keep that same 22 we will get run over. cant have blake and bakes in the same backlin and cant have kosi at ff. hes a liability. i expect kosi as 2nd ruck. roo move to ff and stanley at chf.
Ross Lyon implies Cripps is ready to go.

"We really feel he should be able to break into the senior team (in 2011) and we are really excited to get him."

http://www.saints.com.au/news/newsartic ... fault.aspx

And I probably wasn't very clear about it, but I meant starting 22 for round 1. It's kind of academic now.

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

InkerSaint wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:who told us cripps is ready to go? first ive had that. and ur starting 22 isnt very adveturous. if we keep that same 22 we will get run over. cant have blake and bakes in the same backlin and cant have kosi at ff. hes a liability. i expect kosi as 2nd ruck. roo move to ff and stanley at chf.
Ross Lyon implies Cripps is ready to go.

"We really feel he should be able to break into the senior team (in 2011) and we are really excited to get him."

http://www.saints.com.au/news/newsartic ... fault.aspx

And I probably wasn't very clear about it, but I meant starting 22 for round 1. It's kind of academic now.
cool. ok. i hadnt read that. good enough for me. we need his run and spread thats for sure. and bloody sidebottom and beames had massive impacts at 19. so hopefully we get something from a teenager. its been ages since that happened. so fingers crossed.

saint_winston
Club Player

gamble could be a great pick up. he was basically battling steve johnson for the mid sized forward role over the last few seasons and was obviously never going to win that battle. could be a great 3rd target inside 50 tho

polo has talent no doubt. from what i hear though he generally prefers to put more effort into his off field activities than the on field vareity. he too could be a very handy pick up if we can correct his love of the party life and he makes the cmmitment required to be a top level footballer

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

saint_winston wrote:polo has talent no doubt. from what i hear though he generally prefers to put more effort into his off field activities than the on field vareity. he too could be a very handy pick up if we can correct his love of the party life and he makes the cmmitment required to be a top level footballer
Well if his football ability is not up to scratch the club could always use his talents as a "teaser pony", to lure any poorly bred fillies away from our champion stallions. :D

ralphsmith
SS Hall of Fame

No senior players should play at all.

We had an extended season with the finals and grand final replay and should rest everyone as long as possible.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

ralphsmith wrote:No senior players should play at all.

We had an extended season with the finals and grand final replay and should rest everyone as long as possible.
So we play with less than 26?

PJ
SS Life Member

So we play with less than 26?
I think we should play with 18 and not worry about a bench - it's actually for sissys that can't run and vomit at the same time.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.