Western Saints News

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Western Saints News

The Western Saints regret to inform members of the resignation of Western Saints President Kim Gilbert ..... in the interim Vice President Helen Creed will step into the role of President until the Western Saints AGM to be held in January .. At this time The Western Saints would like to thank Kim Gilbert and his wife Christine for their contribution to the Western Saints and wish them all the best ....

the AGM will see a call for nominations for committee possitions as well as an election of a new Western Saint President...

more info on the Western Saints AGM will be posted on SS aswell as on the Western Saints Facebook page

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Moccha
Saintsational Legend

Good luck Kim in your future endevours. Thanks for your efforts.

Another opportunity awaits!
St Michele
Club Player

Re: Western Saints News

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:The Western Saints regret to inform members of the resignation of Western Saints President Kim Gilbert ..... in the interim Vice President Helen Creed will step into the role of President until the Western Saints AGM to be held in January .. At this time The Western Saints would like to thank Kim Gilbert and his wife Christine for their contribution to the Western Saints and wish them all the best ....

the AGM will see a call for nominations for committee possitions as well as an election of a new Western Saint President...

more info on the Western Saints AGM will be posted on SS aswell as on the Western Saints Facebook page
Why did we not get this via email? My thanks Kim for all the work you and Christine have done in the last few years. Hope we still see you ast functions and the Karalee. All the best for the future.

Michele
Goals are dreams with deadlines!!
Moccha
Saintsational Legend

St Michele wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:The Western Saints regret to inform members of the resignation of Western Saints President Kim Gilbert ..... in the interim Vice President Helen Creed will step into the role of President until the Western Saints AGM to be held in January .. At this time The Western Saints would like to thank Kim Gilbert and his wife Christine for their contribution to the Western Saints and wish them all the best ....

Why did we not get this via email? My thanks Kim for all the work you and Christine have done in the last few years. Hope we still see you ast functions and the Karalee. All the best for the future.
Good point. Some Western Sainters wouldn't know

Another opportunity awaits!
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Moccha wrote:
St Michele wrote:

Good point. Some Western Sainters wouldn't know
it will be in the newsletter comming out hopefully in the next week .... as you can imagine it has been fairly hectic .... also for those that are not on Facebook the Western saints have a new contact number for ALL Western Saints matters (except anything to do with Karalee Tavern!! still contact Roger for that ... ) ..... 0487272400

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

stewmac
Club Player

Its a shame that with over 1500 members in WA next to nothing happens all year with the Western Saints, the Karalee struggles to get double figures for most of the year and only the GF was a half decent turnout at the Italian Club ,hopefully moving forward the WS can get the club on the right track and generate more interest in the Saints :D

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

stewmac wrote:Its a shame that with over 1500 members in WA next to nothing happens all year with the Western Saints, the Karalee struggles to get double figures for most of the year and only the GF was a half decent turnout at the Italian Club ,hopefully moving forward the WS can get the club on the right track and generate more interest in the Saints :D
i disagree Stew ... this year we had a great pre-season function with the saints in your city as well as a fantastic footy clinic for the kids ... we also held two successful pre game functions for the games at subi oval ... the grand final was a good event (apart from the result) and the replay was less popular ... as for the Karalee the Western Saints have no link to the Karalee tavern what so ever , it is run as a place for like minded saints supporters to get together and watch the game , at the request of the management of the Karalee the Western Saints do not promote the tavern..
in 2011 the Western Saints will be working closely with the club to increase our WA membership total as the club aims for 45000 members .

i suggest that if you feel that the Western Saints are not doing a good enough job promoting the club or serving our members that you come down to our AGM that is open to all members to voice your concerns and if you think that you can help or solve any issues by all means put your hand up and nominate for the committee ....

Winmarvellous
Club Player

I don't think he's having a go at the Western Saints commitee Trav. I think he's suggesting a few more social outings or the like, and mostly for the MEMBERS to get behind them and create more of a social aspect to the WA based Saints.

stewmac
Club Player

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
stewmac wrote:Its a shame that with over 1500 members in WA next to nothing happens all year with the Western Saints, the Karalee struggles to get double figures for most of the year and only the GF was a half decent turnout at the Italian Club ,hopefully moving forward the WS can get the club on the right track and generate more interest in the Saints :D
i disagree Stew ... this year we had a great pre-season function with the saints in your city as well as a fantastic footy clinic for the kids ... we also held two successful pre game functions for the games at subi oval ... the grand final was a good event (apart from the result) and the replay was less popular ... as for the Karalee the Western Saints have no link to the Karalee tavern what so ever , it is run as a place for like minded saints supporters to get together and watch the game , at the request of the management of the Karalee the Western Saints do not promote the tavern..
in 2011 the Western Saints will be working closely with the club to increase our WA membership total as the club aims for 45000 members .

i suggest that if you feel that the Western Saints are not doing a good enough job promoting the club or serving our members that you come down to our AGM that is open to all members to voice your concerns and if you think that you can help or solve any issues by all means put your hand up and nominate for the committee ....

I would have thought giving Saints members here in WA an opportunity to watch with fellow Sainters would be the way to go ,not sure why the Karalee doesnt want more Sainters there ,doesnt seem to affect the Demons/Swans supporters who go there in decent numbers and they are very vocal ,if it was my business i would want as many people in as possible to boost the profits :D

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Winmarvellous wrote:I don't think he's having a go at the Western Saints commitee Trav. I think he's suggesting a few more social outings or the like, and mostly for the MEMBERS to get behind them and create more of a social aspect to the WA based Saints.
i understand what he is saying but the fact is we put the call out to the members if they wanted more non footy related events we even put out an expresion of interest for a group of Western Saints members to fly over to Melbourne for a game we also advertised the Karalee for nearly two seasons .....
we got zero interest on the non footy related events , we got 2 responces to the Melbourne game , and as you said most weeks the Karalee struggled to get more then 10 people ... the fact is the majority arent interested , so we put our efforts into the functions that will draw numbers..

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

stewmac wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:

I would have thought giving Saints members here in WA an opportunity to watch with fellow Sainters would be the way to go ,not sure why the Karalee doesnt want more Sainters there ,doesnt seem to affect the Demons/Swans supporters who go there in decent numbers and they are very vocal ,if it was my business i would want as many people in as possible to boost the profits :D
yeah i would think the same , i would also think that if a group booked the entire pub for a prelim final event that more than 200 people were going to attend , buy a meal and buy lots of drinks that they would hold the booking not scribble our name out of the reservation book and looked puzzled when we all rocked up for the game !! in the end the Western Saints are happy to not get involved with the Karalee as it is more hassle than it is worth ... having said that we are always on the look out for suitable venues to hold telecasts without the negatives of the Karalee , personally i watch games at the high wycombe tavern as it is close to home , has a great TV reception (even when it rains), has a GIANT outdoor TV and most of all has friendly cheerful staff ....

stewmac
Club Player

Winmarvellous wrote:I don't think he's having a go at the Western Saints commitee Trav. I think he's suggesting a few more social outings or the like, and mostly for the MEMBERS to get behind them and create more of a social aspect to the WA based Saints.
Nail on the head Winmarvellous :wink: i have only been in Perth 12 mnths since moving from east and was unable to attend the functions at Subiaco due to having my nephew who would never eat any of the food served up and the cost of over $100 for 3 of us wasnt cost effective ,i was told previously that the club put on an event at a pub away from Subiaco and bussed the people in to subiaco ,surely something similar would be cheaper as you arent paying the premium subi charges and normal pub food is good for most , btw im not putting my hand up to be on the committee but happy to put idea fwd along the way ,will attend the AGM in January .

Saint Bev
SS Life Member

stewmac wrote:
Nail on the head Winmarvellous :wink: i have only been in Perth 12 mnths since moving from east and was unable to attend the functions at Subiaco due to having my nephew who would never eat any of the food served up and the cost of over $100 for 3 of us wasnt cost effective ,i was told previously that the club put on an event at a pub away from Subiaco and bussed the people in to subiaco ,surely something similar would be cheaper as you arent paying the premium subi charges and normal pub food is good for most , btw im not putting my hand up to be on the committee but happy to put idea fwd along the way ,will attend the AGM in January .
When interstate supporter groups hold functions there is a guideline of standards that the Club likes to be filled. Costs for a function are not just for the food, but running the function as well. Also it is hard to please everyone, as people like different things.

Qld Saints Supporter Group
rogerwa
SS Hall of Fame

and here i was thinking 'thats life' & we all move on & dont need to go back over old ground & at the end of the day who gives a chyt if someone ventures to a pub where ever it is to watch the footy...how silly am i

cant be farked today but maybe if ive got a spare 5 mins or so at the weekend may mention a couple of things...apart from 2 or 3 socalled powerbrokers 1300 saints supporters couldnt give a F*** what their opinions are

supporters & members follow the club & dont give a F*** about anything as trivial as who goes where & who doesnt go

as ive said a million times i go to the pub to watch the footy LIVE every week with morris & tim & if someone else rocks up thats fine if & if they dont means F*** all to the 3 of us

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

rogerwa wrote:and here i was thinking 'thats life' & we all move on & dont need to go back over old ground & at the end of the day who gives a chyt if someone ventures to a pub where ever it is to watch the footy...how silly am i

cant be farked today but maybe if ive got a spare 5 mins or so at the weekend may mention a couple of things...apart from 2 or 3 socalled powerbrokers 1300 saints supporters couldnt give a F*** what their opinions are

supporters & members follow the club & dont give a F*** about anything as trivial as who goes where & who doesnt go

as ive said a million times i go to the pub to watch the footy LIVE every week with morris & tim & if someone else rocks up thats fine if & if they dont means F*** all to the 3 of us
Rog im not dredging up old news , as i said the karalee is there for anyone to go watch a game ive even gone back since the fall out to watch a game with you felllas , i dont have a problem with anyone going to watch the game anywhere , but again at the request of the Karalee the Western Saints are not going to advertise functions there ... as far as the Western Saints are concerned this issue is dead , we dont have links to the karalee end of story ... my veiws on the Karalee are my personal veiws ...

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

stewmac wrote:
Stew the subi function was infact cheeper than the old functions held at the Italian club ... as Bev mentioned we are guided by the club on what kind of function we can hold and what prices we need to be charging to be uniform with the other supporter groups , while for some it could be seen as an expencive exercise but if you consider that the club only come a maximum of two times a year most can budget it in also when you take into account most members get free entery into the game its not a bad price for the game and function ... from all the reports from members who went to the function they had a great time and were very happy

wasaintsfan
Club Player

subi club is deffo way to go we get there 10 30 - 11 am pay like $6 for parking before during and after game.... no hassel no rushing around.. just relax and walk to gate 10 min b4 bounce down

as for outings... as they say most wont go karalee on a good day.. i tend to go down only when there is no telecast but am considering getting own satellite.... you get pushed into a little room with a pole in the middle =\ while they play the other game thats on in the main pub.. mite not alwys be case but times ive gone bar finals thats whats happened

trip to melb may work for games vs collingwood and other big clubs but prob find only 5-6 will go at any one time =\

St Michele
Club Player

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
i understand what he is saying but the fact is we put the call out to the members if they wanted more non footy related events we even put out an expresion of interest for a group of Western Saints members to fly over to Melbourne for a game we also advertised the Karalee for nearly two seasons .....
we got zero interest on the non footy related events , we got 2 responces to the Melbourne game , and as you said most weeks the Karalee struggled to get more then 10 people ... the fact is the majority arent interested , so we put our efforts into the functions that will draw numbers..
Do you know I never had heard about the Melbourne Trip till here.

Michele
St Michele
Club Player

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
stewmac wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:

yeah i would think the same , i would also think that if a group booked the entire pub for a prelim final event that more than 200 people were going to attend , buy a meal and buy lots of drinks that they would hold the booking not scribble our name out of the reservation book and looked puzzled when we all rocked up for the game !! in the end the Western Saints are happy to not get involved with the Karalee as it is more hassle than it is worth ... having said that we are always on the look out for suitable venues to hold telecasts without the negatives of the Karalee , personally i watch games at the high wycombe tavern as it is close to home , has a great TV reception (even when it rains), has a GIANT outdoor TV and most of all has friendly cheerful staff ....
As you know I have neen going to the Karralee for a couple of years now and really enjoy watching the games with the people who go. We are lucky to have it as they get us the games live when they are not on in Perth etc. There has been constant talk about another venue but noone has come up with anything better so we kepp going there, a small but friendly and happy group who welcome any that come along.

Michele
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

St Michele wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
Do you know I never had heard about the Melbourne Trip till here.
michelle it was on the 2nd newsletter of this year we were planing on going to see the friday night footy against Hawthorn , it was emailed to every member

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

wasaintsfan wrote:subi club is deffo way to go we get there 10 30 - 11 am pay like $6 for parking before during and after game.... no hassel no rushing around.. just relax and walk to gate 10 min b4 bounce down

as for outings... as they say most wont go karalee on a good day.. i tend to go down only when there is no telecast but am considering getting own satellite.... you get pushed into a little room with a pole in the middle =\ while they play the other game thats on in the main pub.. mite not alwys be case but times ive gone bar finals thats whats happened

trip to melb may work for games vs collingwood and other big clubs but prob find only 5-6 will go at any one time =\
that was the veiw of the commitee and almost everyone we spoke to loved the fact that the function was walking distance from the game plus after the game we had a more than a few rock up for celebrations of the great wins ....

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

St Michele wrote: As you know I have neen going to the Karralee for a couple of years now and really enjoy watching the games with the people who go. We are lucky to have it as they get us the games live when they are not on in Perth etc. There has been constant talk about another venue but noone has come up with anything better so we kepp going there, a small but friendly and happy group who welcome any that come along.
Michele we have found alternative pubs that can show the games exactly as the Karalee , but given the numbers who regularly attend game telecasts and the general concensis of the members (as shown in the results of the 2009 members survey) it is not worth promoting game telecasts .. as Roger said the Karalee is there for anyone who wants to go there is nothing formal there is not arrangment or benifits for anyone its just a place to watch the footy with Roger Tim and Morris (and yourself), The Western Saints may look at promoting a game telecast else where for the finals. i know i am definatly not interested in starting a feud with the Karalee again that issue is dead and gone , If people want to watch the game then they go to the Karalee but its got nothing to do with the Western Saints, that is the point i am trying to get across ...

rogerwa
SS Hall of Fame

the reason we go to the karalee is that morris lives in leeming & tim & i live in morley area

if morris moves north of the river we will watch the footy in morley/dianella...if tim & i shift south of the river we will watch the footy in the leeming area

it suits us as being a central location

we dont give a F*** if there's noone else there

Winmarvellous
Club Player

Tell Morris to move North and I'll join you :lol: I'd go but the karralee's a bit too far out of my way (had a good time when I did attend though)

St Michele
Club Player

rogerwa wrote:the reason we go to the karalee is that morris lives in leeming & tim & i live in morley area

if morris moves north of the river we will watch the footy in morley/dianella...if tim & i shift south of the river we will watch the footy in the leeming area

it suits us as being a central location

we dont give a F*** if there's noone else there
rog you are going tpo give the Farren Ray Fan club a complex if you keep saying you don't want us there. :wink: :D

Michele