Which of the kids could really step it up in 2011?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Tom Lynch

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

You are right that is his major flaw !

Con Gorozidis wrote:
but yeah ross is incredibly conservative and doesnt have a development bone in his body. has not bought a single kid through in his time. some people are trying to claim gwilt - but he had already played senior footy when lyon arrived.
You are right that is his major flaw ! He wouldn't install any hope for the young fellas running around at Sandringham that they will get a chance!Instead we keep bringing in retreads and playing them to the detriment of the development our own kids !

It is obvious he thought the senior players from 2009 were going to get the team through. But it was pretty clear to most that the team needed some youthful flare and excitement added to the dour game plan he (RL) had moulded.

AN obvious example for 2011 - will be Allistair Smith. Why not give him the opportunity to develop as a HFF - but instead we pick up Gamble who will play in front of Smith.

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
Solar
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:I've got a felling (based on nothing but a hunch) that Al Smith might be a real 'find' next year.

He followed a great pre-season with a really solid season at VFL level, and I just think he's going to step up again next year.
totally agree. Could see him with a run with role, allowing CJ to play as a pure inside midfielder.

Others....

steven if he gets fit should play 22+ games
armo likewise

heyne is the smokey. Needs to go the hard pre-season with lenny again. Could play midfield if he gets the miles into his legs.

raph to do a jimmy and cement a role at half back to replace gilbo.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:I've got a felling (based on nothing but a hunch) that Al Smith might be a real 'find' next year.

He followed a great pre-season with a really solid season at VFL level, and I just think he's going to step up again next year.
I agree, I forgot about The Dribbler. He will make Aker look more ridiculous than he already is.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:Pretty dumb question before training has even started.
Why? What difference will training make?

Does anyone watch training weekly during the summer? Plenty burn up the track each and every year from all clubs, winning time trials and such... Means jack.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
Sainternist wrote:none of the above.

unless the team is hit by a long list of injuries, lyon will be too conservative to promote any of them.
They'll be judged on form and promoted/demoted accordingly, one would hope. Same goes for the incumbents.

that hasn't happened to date...imho.....and if it had......ball, and miles would still be with the club, a couple of nuffies long gone....and steven and ammo would have had more games under their belts.....
Ball was dropped because his form warranted it.

Get some tapes out in particular the Gee R14 game and the WCE game the week after...

You actually contradicted ur own arguement.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:

I agree, I forgot about The Dribbler. He will make Aker look more ridiculous than he already is.

year of the dribbler. i also have HUGE wraps on T Simpkin.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:
stinger wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

unless the team is hit by a long list of injuries, lyon will be too conservative to promote any of them.
They'll be judged on form and promoted/demoted accordingly, one would hope. Same goes for the incumbents.

that hasn't happened to date...imho.....and if it had......ball, and miles would still be with the club, a couple of nuffies long gone....and steven and ammo would have had more games under their belts.....

Get some tapes out in particular the Gee R14 game and the WCE game the week after...

how so.....????...nah......ross plays his favorites.....always has...always will.....the fact that none of the other 16 sides wanted to touch eddy.....who played in two grand finals.....says it all ....and to make it worse.....eddy was played the second time with a broken jaw and a broken hand ffs.......something dreadfully wrong there.....dempster, mini . geary and possible kossi wouldn't get a game with some of the other finalists....yet ross trotted them out round after round....you are not however going to change your mind...and i'm certainly not changing mine........and if you want to start an argument...at least learn how to spell it first ffs....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
Spinner wrote:
stinger wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

how so.....????...nah......ross plays his favorites.....always has...always will.....the fact that none of the other 16 sides wanted to touch eddy.....who played in two grand finals.....says it all ....and to make it worse.....eddy was played the second time with a broken jaw and a broken hand ffs.......something dreadfully wrong there.....dempster, mini . geary and possible kossi wouldn't get a game with some of the other finalists....yet ross trotted them out round after round....you are not however going to change your mind...and i'm certainly not changing mine........and if you want to start an argument...at least learn how to spell it first ffs....
I explained 'how so' in one line of text.

And disagreeing with your post isnt starting an argument. Maybe that's the problem around here....

And Im at work so if I dont re-read my posts for spelling u now know why.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote: how so.....????...nah......ross plays his favorites.....always has...always will.....the fact that none of the other 16 sides wanted to touch eddy.....who played in two grand finals.....says it all ....and to make it worse.....eddy was played the second time with a broken jaw and a broken hand ffs.......something dreadfully wrong there.....dempster, mini . geary and possible kossi wouldn't get a game with some of the other finalists....yet ross trotted them out round after round....you are not however going to change your mind...and i'm certainly not changing mine........and if you want to start an argument...at least learn how to spell it first ffs....
Did you disagree with the selections at the time, prior to the GF?

It's all well and good to say Eddy, Dempster, Mini shouldn't of played...could I ask who you would of played in their place?

Keeping in mind that Armo would of been superman if he had already managed to regain his match fitness after his knee injuries....and that it has been clarified on here that Steven was only just up and about again after struggling with OP.

Dempster played this year because Baker managed to get himself suspended for 9 weeks, he wasn't in the 22 before then, hardly a case of playing favourites now is it?

Oh, and only one recycled player was taken other than St Kilda in the draft, very possible there could be interest in Eddy next month.

DWOODROW
Club Player

Is Armo still playing???

Could of fooled me. :lol: :lol: :lol:

stinger
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
stinger wrote: how so.....????...nah......ross plays his favorites.....always has...always will.....the fact that none of the other 16 sides wanted to touch eddy.....who played in two grand finals.....says it all ....and to make it worse.....eddy was played the second time with a broken jaw and a broken hand ffs.......something dreadfully wrong there.....dempster, mini . geary and possible kossi wouldn't get a game with some of the other finalists....yet ross trotted them out round after round....you are not however going to change your mind...and i'm certainly not changing mine........and if you want to start an argument...at least learn how to spell it first ffs....

It's all well and good to say Eddy, Dempster, Mini shouldn't of played...could I ask who you would of played in their place?

Keeping in mind that Armo would of been superman if he had already managed to regain his match fitness after his knee injuries....and that it has been clarified on here that Steven was only just up and about again after struggling with OP.

Dempster played this year because Baker managed to get himself suspended for 9 weeks, he wasn't in the 22 before then, hardly a case of playing favourites now is it?

Oh, and only one recycled player was taken other than St Kilda in the draft, very possible there could be interest in Eddy next month.

tired old arguments......miles should have been played earlier...as should smith, steven and david......what happened to david is the same thing that happened to x last year....run these guys around on cow paddocks and you risk them getting injured....rhys stanley deserved a better go as did heyne and lynch....sure eddy might still be picked up...but clubs certainly aren't falling over themselves to sign /draft a player ross considered good enough to play in two preliminary and two grand finals in two years...ffs....open your eyes ffs....
Last edited by stinger on Tue 23 Nov 2010 4:58pm, edited 1 time in total.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

DWOODROW wrote:Is Armo still playing???

hope that's not too cryptic mate.....i'm praying that your brother has a really good pre-season.....

DWOODROW
Club Player

stinger wrote:

hope that's not too cryptic mate.....i'm praying that your brother has a really good pre-season.....
I'm just being a smart ass, negative prick. Problem is is that the last 3 years were going to be Dave;s breakout years. Has the talent but how do you get the best out of him. I cant put my finger on it anymore.
I still think he needs to start fresh somewhere else but what would I know.

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

I will stick my neck out here - Tom Simpkin to be a big improver and crack into the senior team.

Have followed the kid a little closer than the other names on the list. He's had some misfortune with injury. Everytime he starts to string a few good games together has had a minor injury setback. The kid played forward as a junior and only starting playing in defence in 2009 season. Has now had 2 good seasons in defence. Think Sam Fisher who played as a forward in the SANFL and then developed into a top AFL defender once he learnt the ropes.

Hopefully stays injury free over summer and gets a chance in NAB cup to showcase his credentials.

“If you want the rainbow you gotta put up with rain” Dolly Parton
stinger
Saintsational Legend

DWOODROW wrote:
stinger wrote:

I'm just being a smart ass, negative prick. Problem is is that the last 3 years were going to be Dave;s breakout years. Has the talent but how do you get the best out of him. I cant put my finger on it anymore.
I still think he needs to start fresh somewhere else but what would I know.
he just needs the coach to have a bit more faith in him......like we have....or buy the coach's kids pretty damn good chrissie presents....

...i , for one have never lost faith in him...the boy can play......

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Simkin, Smith, Gaertner.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
Spinner wrote:
stinger wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

im so puzzled by this.
4 weeks ago a completely injured robert eddy was a better player than miles, armo and smith.

now a fully healthy robery eddy is a worse player than all of them.

linz
Club Player

When does training start?

I once spent a year in Adelaide, I think it was on a Sunday.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

linz wrote:
Tomorrow for the younger guys and than the 5th I beleive for the older guys. Maybe the middle of the range in between that.

ChicagoSaint
Club Player

except rhys stanley :wink:

linz
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
linz wrote:
Tomorrow for the younger guys and than the 5th I beleive for the older guys. Maybe the middle of the range in between that.
Thanks for that info plugger66.
So the victors of the GF are celebrating in Arizona doing high altitude training whilst we lick our wounds before resuming at Seaford. Has it something to do with making it seem like a holiday trip instead of a training trip which allows the scum to train earlier than us?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

linz wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
linz wrote:
So the victors of the GF are celebrating in Arizona doing high altitude training whilst we lick our wounds before resuming at Seaford. Has it something to do with making it seem like a holiday trip instead of a training trip which allows the scum to train earlier than us?
We actually train at Moorabbin. I have seen nothing from our fitness guys to suggest they dont know what they are doing.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
SainterK wrote:

tired old arguments......miles should have been played earlier...as should smith, steven and david......what happened to david is the same thing that happened to x last year....run these guys around on cow paddocks and you risk them getting injured....rhys stanley deserved a better go as did heyne and lynch....sure eddy might still be picked up...but clubs certainly aren't falling over themselves to sign /draft a player ross considered good enough to play in two preliminary and two grand finals in two years...ffs....open your eyes ffs....
Steven was playing, until he got OP, how is that even an argument?

People have since pointed out the fact Lynch had an operation for a health issue through the year, which probably delayed his debut.

Was Eddy more than a depth player, or was Eddy match fit, an advantage he had on the others even with a broken jaw?

I really don't appreciate being told to open my eyes just because my opinion differs to yours, and if you really feel you are right and I am wrong, why the need for language Stinger?

One cannot have a discussion, if it's always this 'open your eyes and think like me' business.

linz
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
linz wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
linz wrote:
We actually train at Moorabbin. I have seen nothing from our fitness guys to suggest they dont know what they are doing.
Seaford behind time, training behind time and premierships certainly behind time. It's certainly not the fault of the fitness guys because they have been sensational in getting our side to the Grand Final in the last 2 years and before that we made a couple of prelims.

Maybe we could actually train at Moorabbin (while Seaford is being finished) while Collingwood is in Arizona.