Some how it seems.... ( being a saints supporter)

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Some how it seems.... ( being a saints supporter)

I was mentally developing this thread title yesterday after the first few responses to another thread and to previous discussions since Oct 2nd.

discussions on the other thread have reinforced the thoughts
http://www.saintsational.com/forum/view ... hp?t=67188

anyway
Somehow it seems that Saints supporters find it much easier to be positive and up beat and interested when there is a wide gap between where the Team is at and where we'd like them to be.....

But when it is just SOooooo close .... they almost seem to yearn for the distance, the feeling of being the underdog, the "well they gave it a shot"... reaction- 'But it's the saints...'

there is a fear.. - reinforced by media in some ways... that success is only going to be fleeting- so why be happy about it.

the current success of the club - Team on and off field and the Onfield success are proving to be lasting..yet there appears to be an element that are just waiting for it all to fall in a hole....

the Tme since the end of 2003- which proved to be the fore taste for Rds 1-10 of 2004 would( without me checking the stats) have tp be one of the MOST sucessful for the saints,, the hurdles they have jumped or fallen over in that time could have brought it all down- but it is still solid- there is still quality

Whilst many proclaim that ONLY a premiership cup will suffice there is Much to be pleased about and little steps which are building toward it for me should be also be enjoyed ...yes a Cup will top it But sustainment of the club in the competition without tin ratttling is also OK.

The Fireman
For the first time in my life I am ambivalent concerning the start of our next season. So many years of hope were dashed this year, I feel happy for the new supporters who are are experiencing some sort of successful period where they can look forward to a healthy amount of H&A wins but for me , a person who has had the glass half full for so long , has been bowed.
So much emotional investment over such a long period takes it toll , so close when we we should have succeeded on a few occasions now is just too much to cop.
I feel almost almost cheated.
I will remain a member ...... under sufferance atm.
PS during the years of absolute mediocrity I felt so much better about the club, at least then I knew we we outclassed (for many reasons..$ etc) and accepted it...hard to accept that we should have won cups

chook23
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
feel so much the same

no real zest for next year

funny during 80's did not feel as low as at the moment even though getting belted......
enjoyed the odd win....

same ...emotionally gawn.......hurt to the point of going through the motions at moment

must be hard for players and Ross......

but supporters have been belted emotionally for so much longer....

us older ones anyway....

just have to win one for the pain of the lost ones to be at all forgotton.

getting back up on the horse again at the moment is just so hard.....

but the team must!!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
dcstkfc
>>>>--
It's hard to feel really excited about our prospects, because just as in 2010, nothing but a flag will do.

5 preliminary finals in seven years, and even in 2006 I thought we were a premiership chance right till the end.

So realistically that is a lot of HnA wins for nothing to crow about. It's devastating.

With Lenny 31 and not much young talent coming through, it's hard to think we haven't blown it. But we will probably still be around the fringe of the top 4 next year, and where there's life there's hope.

There needs to be some genuine change next year though, we won't win it with a very similar side, the improvement will have to come from the young blokes like it came from Mini, Zac, CJ and Farren in 2009
Last edited by saintbrat on Mon 22 Nov 2010 10:49pm, edited 1 time in total.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
chook23
Saintsational Legend

Some just see it in a different way...

not wanting it to fall in a hole...as you say

You read the posts wrong
Last edited by chook23 on Mon 22 Nov 2010 10:11pm, edited 1 time in total.

saint4life
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Could you please be clear in your reason for quoting me?

chook23
Saintsational Legend

I dont see the offield (improvement)etc ..as you say saintbrat......being successful...

to me that is a non-negotible....it must be

off field aim is the same be it top or bottom

Onfield

Success is a premiership

going well is finals

You also make some other general comments Saintbrat........like
that success is only going to be fleeting- so why be happy about it.

I would if a Premiership was part of it.....

especially in an expanded comp (with a draft) where it is so bloody hard to win one and your time at the top is virtually controlled by the governing rules!!

saint4life
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

correct chook23 _ I probably did make some generalisations--I guess I'm just wondering/hoping/ assuming? that at some point the enthusiasm for supporting the Saints and Planning for success - to get past the sort of feelings that The Fireman expressed- will reappear for most .
which is why I used his words
PS during the years of absolute mediocrity I felt so much better about the club, at least then I knew we we outclassed (for many reasons..$ etc) and accepted it...

and again I have been selective there

But feelings can be so hard to pin down-
and true maybe 'Hole' is not where it is- but it's just sometimes it almost feels like everyones waiting for the Saints wheels to fall off. to slide -

ok reality is it may or may not happen but there is a consistency and strength around the playing group and club that may not have been seen to be there in the past- 'Implode' and 'Saints' have often been seen to be the same.

I listened to a rant at the weekend that got me fired up- and when it came down to it the reason for the rant was that the commentator felt ' slighted' ( again maybe not the right word) by NOT being able to get access to the Saints _ their perogative- and used his position to spend 2 minutes going back to an issue that was 12 months dead. - it only took 15 minutes or less of calls for him to say " but they are hard to deal with - as he had experienced.' but the media feeding the Image of the saints was established for the afternoon.

increasingly it would seem that one strength all clubs need is tha ability to control their 'media' clubs leaking emails, slipping by putting players bio's up when not even selected. - the scrutiny is so great.,

are we waiting for the club to show us that they are fired up for the new season before we too begin to hope and enjoy again..

again I may have waffled which is why I am not an orator -more of a hands on 'doer' and maybe that is just where we are at..

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Re: Some how it seems.... ( being a saints supporter)

saintbrat wrote:the current success of the club - Team on and off field and the Onfield success are proving to be lasting..yet there appears to be an element that are just waiting for it all to fall in a hole....
i think that's the only logical thing to do.

the way the afl works is aimed at rotating the successful clubs at the top. brisbane were the greatest team of all time. they won three premierships - and were in four grand finals - in four years. then they missed the finals for four straight years.

it's the way the system's supposed to work, and doubtless it will happen to this st kilda team at some point. whether it's this year, next year, in five years - i don't know. but it's not just a "st kilda supporter" thing to expect it.

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Re: Some how it seems.... ( being a saints supporter)

bergholt wrote:
saintbrat wrote:the current success of the club - Team on and off field and the Onfield success are proving to be lasting..yet there appears to be an element that are just waiting for it all to fall in a hole....
i think that's the only logical thing to do.

the way the afl works is aimed at rotating the successful clubs at the top. brisbane were the greatest team of all time. they won three premierships - and were in four grand finals - in four years. then they missed the finals for four straight years.

it's the way the system's supposed to work, and doubtless it will happen to this st kilda team at some point. whether it's this year, next year, in five years - i don't know. but it's not just a "st kilda supporter" thing to expect it.
Agreed, I feel this way because I am an educated football supporter who is aware of the way the system works and the trends of the draft/salary cap era, not because I am a St Kilda supporter.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
Moccha
Saintsational Legend

I think it's called passion which leads to emotions. I'm not sure that positive or negative emotions affect any outcome. If you're not pissed off with a grand final loss then you're not a passionate supporter. I'm not sure what the point of masking ones disappointment with stuff like "oh the boys tried hard" achieves. Maybe you like kidding yourself?

Another opportunity awaits!
yipper
SS Life Member

Gee as long as we are trying so bloody hard to win one - I don't have that despair. Sure I was totally gutted, distressed and just didn't want to think about footy after both 09-10 failed premiership attempts. But sheesh I am proud as hell that we are trying to win it. Trying damn hard to get one. I am proud that we have young men of rare quality and dignity leading our team. I was proud to hear Goddard get up and say what he did at the B&F. They are giving it their all - they are hurting as bad as we are. Our coach is a gem. The leadership at StKilda FC is just outstanding. I cannot ask any more than that as a supporter. They are having a red hot crack and that is to me - very important. We are creating opportunities to win a flag thru our efforts. Luck hasn't gone our way - yet. But geez they are putting themselves in the game that matters - that is critical for a flag to come. I am ok with our efforts thus far. I want a flag, desperate for one. My club is doing it's best to deliver one.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

I think the OP is reasonable. There are many Saints followers who don't see the recent period as being in any way successful, simply because the only true perceived success in our game is a flag! The fact that this is achieved/lost over the course of ONE game (GF) naturally colours the way "success" is perceived by some. I would certainly not want to go back to the "comfort zone" of mediocrity in order that I avoid the pain of being a losing Grand Finalist. Its only the opinion of myself of course.
I say; "why give up now?" but can fully understand the reasons for other folk to feel differently.

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
stinger
Saintsational Legend

winners are grinners ....losers are...well...losers.....we didn't win two grand finals we could have......i'm hoping for another shot......but we haven't managed three grand finals in a row in three successive seasons before.....so....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Moccha
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:winners are grinners ....losers are...well...losers.....we didn't win two grand finals we could have......i'm hoping for another shot......but we haven't managed three grand finals in a row in three successive seasons before.....so....
there's always a 1st time

Another opportunity awaits!
Kilda
Club Player

To be honest, after losing the 09 GF, I thought we had blown our chance at the flag. It was, after all, close to the perfect year. This year the club really surprised me with their resilience against adversity. Now, I feel like I did this time last year...that they have blown their chances. Perhaps, just perhaps, they can surprise me and the football world again and defy the odds once more. They will be made of stern stuff indeed if they can reach the top of the mountain for 2011. Here's hoping...