OUR DRAFTED PLAYERS

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SaintSimmo
Club Player

OUR DRAFTED PLAYERS

Sainter for life.
kos
Club Player

afl phantom draft has our 4 kids rated in the top 50.
cripps kicked 5 goals in a senior wafl game.
two things that stand out with our recruits are that they are all said to have pace and good skill.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Thanks for the links, enjoyed the read.

Hope they all settle in well :)

kaos theory
Club Player

kos wrote:afl phantom draft has our 4 kids rated in the top 50.
cripps kicked 5 goals in a senior wafl game.
two things that stand out with our recruits are that they are all said to have pace and good skill.
Also most tend to take the game on, run through lines.....along with the good skills

so obvious attempt to address some weaknesses in our current set up...

Don't know about gamble & polo.... though I think polo is a better selection than patterson. He looked like a good prospect a few years ago, but seemed to fall off the rails lately. Maybe we will get more out of him.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

we just picked six guys with an average height of 183cm. does that seem scary to anyone else? better hope some of our talls come on.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

We could have our eyes on a few talls in the Rookie Draft !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:we just picked six guys with an average height of 183cm. does that seem scary to anyone else? better hope some of our talls come on.
I rate you as the best common sense person on here and to me it shows we are drafting for now. Those types make it early. If we miss out in the next 2 years we are stuffed but hopefully we can get over the line..

vacuous space
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:Those types make it early.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Not sure that it says much for our confidence in Tom Lynch coming on that we drafted Gamble and Siposs.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:we just picked six guys with an average height of 183cm. does that seem scary to anyone else? better hope some of our talls come on.
Saints allowed for the fact that some quality mids would slip through, with the GC coming in and all the KPP and talls going early.

So we drafted talls the last couple of years, and this year was about mids.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:Not sure that it says much for our confidence in Tom Lynch coming on that we drafted Gamble and Siposs.
Why?

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:Not sure that it says much for our confidence in Tom Lynch coming on that we drafted Gamble and Siposs.
So thats who bucketed Lyon was it?

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
So thats who bucketed Lyon was it?
Definately not.

kos
Club Player

ross spoke on sen said this years draft was a mid focus for the future.
last few years we recruited tall he named cahill LYNCH stanley now
needed mids.
also said cripps may play round 1, he is very happy with him and rarely
nominates a rookie to play straight away.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Gamble's 184 cm and Siposs 188 cm. According to the Saints website Lynch is 192 cm.

Don't see the drafting of those 2 blokes as any reflection on Tom Lynch at all. Gamble probably will be vying for a small forward spot and Siposs probably isn't going to play anywhere in the short term.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

If two of Gamble, Lynch, Siposs or Kosi can play and play well as the 2nd or 3rd focal point up front with Roo #1 then I'd be happy. Don't see a point to bringing up Lynch.

We picked a few mids, are Lenny or Dal now in trouble? Please don't answer this one

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
Middo
Club Player

Having had a look at the first 4 selections I'm pretty happy that we have gone after run and carry players to compliment what we have already on out list. Maybe Ross is looking to free up a Gilbert or Fisher with more runners from the back half. The speed these guys show makes me think we are looking at a much more attacking game style. With Gamble & Polo we are adding to our depth.

Jack Newnes happy to be a Saint !!!! PS and to hit a target !!!
vacuous space
SS Life Member

Lynch may well wind up in defence. I'm not sure he has the ground level skills to be anything but a key forward. Down back he could be the eventual successor to Jason Blake or, if we're lucky, Sam Fisher. If Gilbert spends more time up front, he might even get a shot back there next year.

I also don't think picking any players say anything about anything. If they're quality, you draft them. You don't go, 'oh, we've got Tom Lynch, better not pick player-x'. The exceeption to that being rucks and fullbacks.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
I rate you as the best common sense person on here and to me it shows we are drafting for now. Those types make it early. If we miss out in the next 2 years we are stuffed but hopefully we can get over the line..
What it told me is the faith we must have in Lynch, Walsh and Stanley to be the forwardline for the next generation....!!!

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Interesting night you are haing....first Watson is the equal of Lyon and Now taking kids with all of our best picks means we are finished????

Or...maybe as we already have taken talls already???

Ben, Stanley, Lynch, Simpkin, Walsh, Gaertner......and we were short on smalls and pace.....

...it was time to add them to the mix.
As you said as they come on quicker....with Ben and Stanley having had a head start they will all be getting there at about the same time.

I would also add Zac to the talls as he is ready to bloom asa FB.

Personally after poor 2009 I like our picks this year.

We really lacked pace, breaking the lines...and more players that can kick goals and play through the midfield at times....and that is what we have picked up.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
rexy
SS Life Member

Overall like the look of all 4 kids we picked, Cripps looks like a real player, Crocker looks smooth, moves a bit like Dal IMO, Ledger pace is definately impressive but from the highlights it looks like his kicking will need to improve, Sippos sounds like a bargain in the 70s but like all KP types and late picks will not necessarily come on. Also worth adding that none have necessarily finished growing, look at BJ must have grown 4-6cm in his first 12-18 months with the club.

Maybe this year?
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:Lynch may well wind up in defence. I'm not sure he has the ground level skills to be anything but a key forward. Down back he could be the eventual successor to Jason Blake or, if we're lucky, Sam Fisher. If Gilbert spends more time up front, he might even get a shot back there next year.

I also don't think picking any players say anything about anything. If they're quality, you draft them. You don't go, 'oh, we've got Tom Lynch, better not pick player-x'. The exceeption to that being rucks and fullbacks.
Exactly. We recruit forwards, mids & backs. Doesn't mean anything about anyone.

Recruiting Gamble & Siposs says nothing about Lynch.

Let's face it, if Ross has something to say in regards to confidence in a player he has a far more direct way of doing it. Just ask Eddy & Miles :shock:

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

St Ick wrote:
If two of Gamble, Lynch, Siposs or Kosi can play and play well as the 2nd or 3rd focal point up front with Roo #1 then I'd be happy. Don't see a point to bringing up Lynch.

We picked a few mids, are Lenny or Dal now in trouble? Please don't answer this one
That's a bloody stupid thing to say. Midfields need up to 12 to rotate through there, but how many teams have more than one "mid sized" forward, if they also have 2 or 3 taller targets (like we'll have in Roo, Gilbert and Kosi)?
The tape measure may say that Lynch is 192cm, but Goddard was listed as the same height and that doesn't make it a given that he's a key position player, does it? I see Lynch as playing a "3rd forward" role, probably on a forward flank, or maybe in the pocket, not as a key target. And that's how I also see Gamble and Siposs. Does anyone see both Lynch and Gamble playing in the same forward line, if we also have Roo, Gilbert and Kosi in there? Very, very unlikely, hence the concern that maybe they're not confident of Lynch coming on as hoped. If that's OK with you all.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
rexy
SS Life Member

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:
St Ick wrote:

That's a bloody stupid thing to say. Midfields need up to 12 to rotate through there, but how many teams have more than one "mid sized" forward, if they also have 2 or 3 taller targets (like we'll have in Roo, Gilbert and Kosi)?
The tape measure may say that Lynch is 192cm, but Goddard was listed as the same height and that doesn't make it a given that he's a key position player, does it? I see Lynch as playing a "3rd forward" role, probably on a forward flank, or maybe in the pocket, not as a key target. And that's how I also see Gamble and Siposs. Does anyone see both Lynch and Gamble playing in the same forward line, if we also have Roo, Gilbert and Kosi in there? Very, very unlikely, hence the concern that maybe they're not confident of Lynch coming on as hoped. If that's OK with you all.
I dont see Gilberts career in the forward line going much further than it has already personally? Gilbert is a defender who was forced forward a couple of times due to match ups against Collingwood. Thats my opinion anyway.

Maybe this year?
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Interesting night you are haing....first Watson is the equal of Lyon and Now taking kids with all of our best picks means we are finished????

Or...maybe as we already have taken talls already???

Ben, Stanley, Lynch, Walsh, Gaertner......and were short on smalls and pace.....

...it was time to add them to the mix.
As you said as they come on quicker....with Ben and Stanley having had a head start they will all be getting there at about the same time.

I would also add Zac to the talls as he is ready to bloom asa FB.

Personally after poor 2009 I like our picks this year.

We really lacked pace, breaking the lines...and more players that can kick goals and play through the midfield at times....and that is what we have picked up.
Have you any idea. I said if we dont win a flag he will be treated the same way as every other coach we have had. Pretty fair comment of would have thought unless you and your mates get together and rate coaches that have never won us a flag. To me icouldnt give a syuff unless we do win a flag but it is good you rate GT so high under your theory.

Next i dont see where I said we are finished but a person with any brains at all can see by drafting Gamble and Polo that we are dratfting for now and if you cant see it well I have lost respect for your footy knowledge. Of course the young guys have something to do with the future but it is more likely a 6 footer will make it now, as RL has suggested, than a guy like Stanley.

Anyway hindsight man can you show us were your didnt like last years picks or would have you said I think our 2009 picks look better than 2008 picks.