Rob Eddy - His view ( new Audio)

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

iwantmeseats wrote:
+1 for point 1 !!! I am hoping against hope this is exactly what Ross is thinking!
Eddy has many good points, such as his work-rate, endurance great character and is good clubman.

However at times in 2010, what really often killed us was our ball-use.....and there is the rub.

Eddy did not use the ball well, nor find enough of it.

If we are to improve we need :

* better ball use
* more players that can break the lines
* more players that can kick goals regularly

Eddy showed no sign of being able to provide any of these.

If you want the Saints to get better....then we need to improve in these key areas.

Conversely some of the players that are lacking in these areas will need to make way. Eddy drew one of the short straws.

But make no mistake some of the players retained at the club are going to have to improve and or re-invent themselves or make way in the 22 as well. Kosi, McQualter are two that come to mind. Peake too must improve his ball-use.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

class handling all round.

Personally hope Eddy is not redrafted - that will mean the club feels it has found better options. And we need to get beter GF2 showed us that.

“Yeah….nah””
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Rob Eddy - His view ( article)

saintsRrising wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Only see character from one side but if we win a flag who cares and that is fact IMO.
Why ????

Lyon has told him straight up and early on that his place was under review?

What would been of more character?

* Keeping him on the list despite the coach wanting to go in another direction? = no

* Not telling him at all that his place was under review, and just delisting him without notice? = no

Character to me is doing what you have to do, but doing it in a respectful manner. That is what seems to have been done here.

The club gave him an extended chance, and repeated chances, to shows his wears to grab a regular first 22 spot.

All the best to Eddy. You would think that the Suns might pick him up to add a mature body to their pool of young talent.
What do you mean why? We delisted him and even though I disagree the article shows no poor character from us. However it also doesnt show character about us as some poster suggested. My point was the article was about Eddy's character not our club. Not everything needs to show us in a good light. Time to get a chip off some of your shoulders.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
. Time to get a chip off some of your shoulders.
It seems you are the one who has a chip everytime a player leaves the club.

Or is it just coincidence that you post in a way that implies that you are pot-shotting the club? Or is it just lack of care on you part?

Maybe one day the penny will drop that this is St Klda Forum rather than BigFooty?

If you post in a manner that appears to imply that the club is not acting appropriately then it will not surprise when you draw a counter view. But then agian I am quite sure you are fully aware, and that is why you post as you do.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Sun 14 Nov 2010 10:43pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:We may intend to redraft him, but couldn't he be picked up by someone else who needs a bigger bodied type (like Essendon) before we have a chance to?
Yes, as he's nominated for the draft, he could be picked up by anyone and I have it on good authority if that doesn't happen, we'll redraft him. He will be playing AFL next year.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
I have it on good authority if that doesn't happen, we'll redraft him. He will be playing AFL next year.
I am missing something then. Why did we delist him?

We have already delisted more than the minimum required by the AFL.
So why would we delist just to re-draft? What is the reason or logic?

I am not saying that we won't. I am just interested in what logic would be at play to take such an action.

St Lenny
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote:
iwantmeseats wrote:
+1 for point 1 !!! I am hoping against hope this is exactly what Ross is thinking!
Eddy has many good points, such as his work-rate, endurance great character and is good clubman.

However at times in 2010, what really often killed us was our ball-use.....and there is the rub.

Eddy did not use the ball well, nor find enough of it.

If we are to improve we need :

* better ball use
* more players that can break the lines
* more players that can kick goals regularly

Eddy showed no sign of being able to provide any of these.

If you want the Saints to get better....then we need to improve in these key areas.

Conversely some of the players that are lacking in these areas will need to make way. Eddy drew one of the short straws.

But make no mistake some of the players retained at the club are going to have to improve and or re-invent themselves or make way in the 22 as well. Kosi, McQualter are two that come to mind. Peake too must improve his ball-use.
I totally agree with everything you say, however, he is only 22, only played 32 games, Im not convinced that he can't improve, nor am I convinced that McQualter is better. All our young players are a concern.

I guess we might redraft him if he was available for a late pic and I would have no problems with that.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:
I have it on good authority if that doesn't happen, we'll redraft him. He will be playing AFL next year.

I am not saying that we won't. I am just interested in what logic would be at play to take such an action.
Not the first time we've delisted and redrafted. Don't know the reason this time though.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
S.A Saint
Club Player

Bernard Shakey wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:

Not the first time we've delisted and redrafted. Don't know the reason this time though.
might be due to $$

"Heroes are never forgotten, but legends never die"
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Or is it just coincidence that you post in a way that implies that you are pot-shotting the club? Or is it just lack of care on you part?

Maybe one day the penny will drop that this is St Klda Forum rather than BigFooty?

If you post in a manner that appears to imply that the club is not acting
appropriately then it will not surprise when you draw a counter view. But then agian I am quite sure you are fully aware, and that is why you post as you do.

P66: why do you bother to try to spar intellectually with these people? They are too blinkered in their thinking to get what you are on about.

I agree with you 150%. Eddy showed a lot of character in his interview. On the other hand, the club took a very harsh and extremely mystifying decision to delist a guy who was relatively young, always tried his guts out, and was deemed to be good enough to play in 2 successive GFs. And it's really difficult to work out why we needed his spot or his (presumably negligible) $$$ under the salary cap.

Once again, in a process that started with the sacking of TS40 in 2006, through the alienation of Ball (which definitely took place, even if he ultimately left for the $$$), etc, etc: another instance of loyal players being treated as so many cattle.

That's the way things are at our club ATM: sink or swim, perform or be delisted, etc. I have no problems with this approach - it appears to have put us at the top of the comp - but words like "character" or "class" aren't the first that come to mind to describe it: I would have thought "ruthlessly professional" would be more like it.

But then, you see, the article mentioned Ross Lyon doing something (making phone calls, etc.). And, for some on here, Ross is a god who can do no wrong whose every action is filled with "character" and "class". If you criticise - even slightly - anything the club does or has done in the past (well, at least since October 2006) they jump down your throat.

For them, it's about allegedly protecting this place as a Fan Forum. For me, it's just irrational and boring.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

If you post in a manner that appears to imply that the club is not acting appropriately then it will not surprise when you draw a counter view. But then agian I am quite sure you are fully aware, and that is why you post as you do.
Made up words to get people on your side. I hardly ever have a go at the club when players are delisted but it does impress some people saying I do. As I have said before and this is my simple point, the article shows great character from Eddy. It doesnt paint us all in a bad light but no where in the article does it at all show great character from the club. I dont think by saying this I have had a go at the club at all.

I have also said I find it funny that we delist someone after 2GF's in a row. That is my opinion. Maybe to be a real Sainter you can never question the club. If that is the case i am guity your honour.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

appropriately then it will not surprise when you draw a counter view. But then agian I am quite sure you are fully aware, and that is why you post as you do.

P66: why do you bother to try to spar intellectually with these people? They are too blinkered in their thinking to get what you are on about.

I agree with you 150%. Eddy showed a lot of character in his interview. On the other hand, the club took a very harsh and extremely mystifying decision to delist a guy who was relatively young, always tried his guts out, and was deemed to be good enough to play in 2 successive GFs. And it's really difficult to work out why we needed his spot or his (presumably negligible) $$$ under the salary cap.

Once again, in a process that started with the sacking of TS40 in 2006, through the alienation of Ball (which definitely took place, even if he ultimately left for the $$$), etc, etc: another instance of loyal players being treated as so many cattle.

That's the way things are at our club ATM: sink or swim, perform or be delisted, etc. I have no problems with this approach - it appears to have put us at the top of the comp - but words like "character" or "class" aren't the first that come to mind to describe it: I would have thought "ruthlessly professional" would be more like it.

But then, you see, the article mentioned Ross Lyon doing something (making phone calls, etc.). And, for some on here, Ross is a god who can do no wrong whose every action is filled with "character" and "class". If you criticise - even slightly - anything the club does or has done in the past (well, at least since October 2006) they jump down your throat.

For them, it's about allegedly protecting this place as a Fan Forum. For me, it's just irrational and boring.
So posters who don't share your particular pov are somehow 'irrational and boring'?
That's your opinion?

At least they're not wolves hiding in sheep's clothing on the issue of the coach.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:
meher baba wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

So posters who don't share your particular pov are somehow 'irrational and boring'?
That's your opinion?

At least they're not wolves hiding in sheep's clothing on the issue of the coach.
MM, believe it or not it is possible for someone to be an enormous supporter of Ross Lyon and the current management of the club, but also have criticisms of them from time to time. This is because I am interested in analysing and debating what goes on at the club and the football world generally.

I know you and many on here don't see things this way. You believe that loyalty lies first and foremost to the club and to whoever is running it or playing for it at the time. If someone leaves (or is sacked by) the club, your loyalty departs with them: hence all the denigration on this forum of GT and, more recently, Luke Ball.

I am certain there are many on here who - if (perish the thought) Ross Lyon suddenly decided to do a Bomber Thompson and cut and run to, say,the Brisbane Lions - would unleash a torrent of abuse and vitriol at him and everything he had ever achieved at the club. I would certainly not do this: I would be disappointed, but would honour what he had achieved and try to assess his contribution in its true perspective.

Perhaps this attitude doesn't make me a true "fan" in your books. So be it.

As for the case of Eddy, I am not even the slightest bit critical of the coach or the club in terms of the decision to delist him. I assume they know what they are doing, although I'd feel more confident if someone from the club would come out and explain it satisfactorily ("just wanted to free up some spots": what, for draft pick #98 or whatever?)

But I also don't believe that this type of situation - the sacking of a player who has just been selected in the top 22 for two successive GFs - can anything other than a nasty, messy business, rather than as an act oozing with "character" and "class".

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

I also wish him all the best and was surprised he was delisted. He'll certainly go on to play some good footy elsewhere, you can bank on it! Another 12months might have seen something really special from him...but that's from my limited insight (obviously the club knows best and see's far more)

All the best Eddy!

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

MB,
Even your response to my questioning of your post makes some sweeping generalizations about me and other posters whom you disagree with.

Why not just admit your own perspective on things?
Why all the need to 'dress' your true opinion up as someting it's not?
Why not have the courage of your convictions to just say what you truly believe?

What are you so worried about?
That posters might see that you really haven't changed your opinion on Lyon?

Every time you purport to post something complimentary there is always a 'sting in the tail' when it comes to Lyon.

To me it is obvious that for some reason (maybe that GT got sacked) you just cannot stand the thought that Lyon was a good choice (maybe even the right choice?) at that time.

As for myself, I'm critical of things that I feel are wrong and warrant criticism.
I don't see the need to criticize just to push some 'anti ?????'
agenda.
I accept things at face value as what they are, not what I'd like them to be.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

The people asking why we would delist a player who was good enough to play in both grand finals, do you think he would have if any of Geary Steven or Armo were match fit?

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:
But I also don't believe that this type of situation - the sacking of a player who has just been selected in the top 22 for two successive GFs - can anything other than a nasty, messy business, rather than as an act oozing with "character" and "class".
Indeed I would have the opposite view. It is exactly when it is a bad situation (or bad news), that "character" or "class" really gets tested.

Your use of the term "oozing" is just your own spin.

You are also hyping up two successive GF's, why no mention of dropped for the 2009 GF????

In both 2009 and 2010, Eddy played most of his games late which suggests to me at least that he came to the fore when other players were not available.

He was an ok depth player for us...with a great attitude..and yes character.

But character alone does not cut it by iteslf. eg Michael Rix was from all reports an amazing clubman. But an AFL lebvel footballer he was not, and so he had to go.

As for the Club...they are hardly going to come out in the media beating a drum about how great they were in sacking Eddy.

Sometimes in life tough calls have to be made. The same as with TS 40..ok on his day, but not quite good enough. But I am most thankful that both tried.

Eddy's problem is that he is trying to secure a spot in a Top 4 team. With a lesser team he would most likely have held his spot...and who knows GC may give him a chance.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:The people asking why we would delist a player who was good enough to play in both grand finals, do you think he would have if any of Geary Steven or Armo were match fit?
They also forget to mention that he was dropped for the 2009 GF.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

St Lenny wrote:

I totally agree with everything you say, however, he is only 22, only played 32 games, Im not convinced that he can't improve, nor am I convinced that McQualter is better. All our young players are a concern.

Yes he may still improve.

But with only a couple of slots available (including McQualter).....and with Geary, Armo, Steven, Heyne, Smith all fighting for them...would one play Eddy in 2011?

** Eddy's, Peake's, Mini's....and maybe even Ray's slots are all up for grabs. Milne had a pretty good 201 and so a very good performance would be required to squeeze him out.

So I guess the coaches have decided that in 2011 that others have more upside....they may be right, or they may be wrong....but I can understand their logic.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
St Lenny wrote:

Yes he may still improve.

But with only a couple of slots available (including McQualter).....and with Geary, Armo, Steven, Heyne, Smith all fighting for them...would one play Eddy in 2011?

** Eddy's, Peake's, Mini's....and maybe even Ray's slots are all up for grabs. Milne had a pretty good 201 and so a very good performance would be required to squeeze him out.

So I guess the coaches have decided that in 2011 that others have more upside....they may be right, or they may be wrong....but I can understand their logic.
I can't believe that you put Milne in the same catagory of players as those others. Not only was he great during the H&A series, I thought he was pretty solid in the finals as well. Can't think of anyone who would come close to replacing him.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:The people asking why we would delist a player who was good enough to play in both grand finals, do you think he would have if any of Geary Steven or Armo were match fit?
K your habit of popping up with logic when bile-spitting vitriol is in order is uncanny... :D

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:
K your habit of popping up with logic when bile-spitting vitriol is in order is uncanny... :D
:wink:

Really like Eddy, and hope we pick him up again, just think an honest appraisal would have him behind those three...at this stage.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
Thinline wrote:
:wink:

Really like Eddy, and hope we pick him up again, just think an honest appraisal would have him behind those three...at this stage.
K - sera, sera, whatever will be, will be :D

ChicagoSaint
Club Player

Dr Spaceman wrote:K - sera, sera, whatever will be, will be :D
let me let me
eddy will be syd-e-knee
K sera sera

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

What I find really strange about Eddy delisting is that I have heard from a very reliable source that we are only going to use 4 picks out of the 6 in the draft. That must mean we are really in trouble from a salary cap point of view which we probably knew anyway.