Stronger saints- Joey article.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Stronger saints- Joey article.

those first steps back to training and into a new year will test us all.. for us to hear that they are facing the next action....

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/ ... fault.aspx

Saints will be stronger for second loss
By Jennifer Witham 2:30 PM Tue, Nov 09, 10

ST KILDA midfielder Leigh Montagna believes a different approach to this year's off-season could help the Saints emerge from the wreckage of another failed grand final campaign a stronger unit.

In 2009, the grief of the loss to Geelong was shared among the group as 12 of them flew to the United States for a month and reflected on what might have been.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
"It might be a little bit tougher this time around after consecutive losses but our playing group is mentally strong enough to rebound and go again.

"The boys will use it as their own motivation in different ways and we'll have another crack at trying to get there again. It's all we can do." ( quote)

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

I honestly believe we can go a step further in 2011. If not, just imagine how strong we'd be after 3 losses!! :lol:

The 09 GF loss really hurt, the loss this season is a horrible lingering stench that while it doesn't (seem to) hurt as much or intensely, it's like a prickle in your sock.

The ONLY way to recifiy the past two seasons is to get our act together and smash Collingwood in the next GF! I genuinely believe we can make it again!

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
fingers
Saintsational Legend

All the strength in the world is great - getting sick of hearing it. So much has to go right just to make it to GF day.

PeckettofChips
Club Player

Re: Stronger saints- Joey article.

saintbrat wrote:those first steps back to training and into a new year will test us all.. for us to hear that they are facing the next action....

ST KILDA midfielder Leigh Montagna believes a different approach to this year's off-season could help the Saints emerge from the wreckage of another failed grand final campaign a stronger unit.

In 2009, the grief of the loss to Geelong was shared among the group as 12 of them flew to the United States for a month and reflected on what might have been.
"It might be a little bit tougher this time around after consecutive losses but our playing group is mentally strong enough to rebound and go again.

"The boys will use it as their own motivation in different ways and we'll have another crack at trying to get there again. It's all we can do." ( quote)
That is what we said last year which is fair enough because that is what every losing GF team says.

We can talk the talk but we have trouble walking it.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

PeckettofChips wrote:
saintbrat wrote:those first steps back to training and into a new year will test us all.. for us to hear that they are facing the next action....

( quote)
That is what we said last year which is fair enough because that is what every losing GF team says.

unreal - we make the GRAND FINAL and make it go for TWO weeks
yes we didn't win BUT that walk is doing fairly well.....

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
PeckettofChips
Club Player

saintbrat wrote:
PeckettofChips wrote:

( quote)

unreal - we make the GRAND FINAL and make it go for TWO weeks
yes we didn't win BUT that walk is doing fairly well.....
So using your Collingwood have done well with 25 GF losses? :lol:

A loss is a loss. It is not walking the walk at all.

That is why we are the club we are. We are happy with coming second.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

not happy losing- But appreciate that they have bought the effort....

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

"Joey" needs to do more walk and less talk. Rather than looking at Dane Swan's computer, he might reflect on how a very average footballer worked hard on his skills - on both sides of his body, massively increased his endurance and strength and then finished up in the best players in the game that really mattered. My advice to "Joey" is to give up the cheap but lucrative media work and seek to improve 100% on the field. That is what is required of him, forget anyone else in the team. He wasn't rated in the top 10 by Saintsational members in the final series, even by his cheer squad, which says it all about his actual ability (so far).

fingers
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:"Joey" needs to do more walk and less talk. Rather than looking at Dane Swan's computer, he might reflect on how a very average footballer worked hard on his skills - on both sides of his body, massively increased his endurance and strength and then finished up in the best players in the game that really mattered. My advice to "Joey" is to give up the cheap but lucrative media work and seek to improve 100% on the field. That is what is required of him, forget anyone else in the team. He wasn't rated in the top 10 by Saintsational members in the final series, even by his cheer squad, which says it all about his actual ability (so far).

This. Multiplied by 22.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:"Joey" needs to do more walk and less talk. Rather than looking at Dane Swan's computer, he might reflect on how a very average footballer worked hard on his skills - on both sides of his body, massively increased his endurance and strength and then finished up in the best players in the game that really mattered. My advice to "Joey" is to give up the cheap but lucrative media work and seek to improve 100% on the field. That is what is required of him, forget anyone else in the team. He wasn't rated in the top 10 by Saintsational members in the final series, even by his cheer squad, which says it all about his actual ability (so far).
Agreed. While we are potting Eddy and co religiously....Joey and some other high profiles.....left it all to Lenny/Goddard.

“Yeah….nah””
ChicagoSaint
Club Player

bit of Actions Not Words from Joey you reckon? :lol:

PeckettofChips
Club Player

Careful Omaha Saint will be calling you a Collingwood supporter next.

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

I agree that talk is cheap. I wish some players saved their energy for the field instead of coming up with cliches like "we're all hurting" "we're going to come back stronger" blah blah blah. Our new slogan should be "Shift your arses in gear"

Another opportunity awaits!
Moods
Saintsational Legend

Moccha wrote:I agree that talk is cheap. I wish some players saved their energy for the field instead of coming up with cliches like "we're all hurting" "we're going to come back stronger" blah blah blah. Our new slogan should be "Shift your arses in gear"
I agree - when approached for a quote as to how we'll respond to the loss in the GF, he should have responded with 'Fu&k off, talk is cheap. I've got no idea how we'll go.' THe marketing department will love him :roll:

Give the bloke a break - he was AA finished in the top 3 of our B&F and had an ordinary finals series.

For Peckettofchips to suggest that the boys didn't walk the walk this year is sheer ignorance. When was the last time the saints played in back to back GF's? 44 years ago. When you get as close as we did, it often comes down to luck.

Does it make you more of a 'saints supporter' if you keep whining and grizzling???

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:Does it make you more of a 'saints supporter' if you keep whining and grizzling???
does it make you less of a "saints supporter" if you really just want a flag rather than almost a flag? and if you'd do anything in your power to get one, so it's reasonable to expect that the players do the same?

Saints43
Club Player

Moods wrote:When you get as close as we did, it often comes down to luck.
We lost by nine goals.

The first grand final result was a credit to a few individuals - not the team.

If I ever see/hear/read any of the two time passengers of 2010 say anything like 'we we're so close' I will f'ing spew up.

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Interesting statement, so much has to go right to make Grand Final day.
However the reality for us in 2010 is that so much went wrong, yet we still made it to Grand Final Day and with the exception of a freakish bounce, we would prbably be premiers now.
But, normally, the statement is right, much has to go right.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Off topic a little, but a Joey related stat.

Kicked 12 goals when Roo was out of the side, and 5 when he was in it....

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Saints43 wrote:
Moods wrote:When you get as close as we did, it often comes down to luck.
We lost by nine goals.

The first grand final result was a credit to a few individuals - not the team.If I ever see/hear/read any of the two time passengers of 2010 say anything like 'we we're so close' I will f'ing spew up.
Well then we beg to differ. A couple of blokes had outstanding games. Many had good games. A few had poor games. IN every close game this is almost always the case.

If you go back to Rd 13 2009 against the cats. WE won by a kick in the last 60 seconds. A couple of blokes had outstanding games (gardiner, Hayes) many played good games, and a few had very poor games. I reckon you are allowing your disappointment at losing that game to cloud your judgement of the boys. AS for me - well I probably am as well. I have wiped the replay. I don't see it as a true reflection of what we did this year, and have thought all along that the real GF was on Sep 26. We were obviously not up for the replay physically or mentally.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Moods, I thought Rd 13 this year was the only game I could remember that was the complete team performance this year.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Moods, I thought Rd 13 this year was the only game I could remember that was the complete team performance this year.
It was. THat's my point. Often you can watch a ripping game of footy - and in my opinion the 1st GF was just that. If you're team wins you're far more lenient on guys who didn't have good games. The reverse is true when you lose. The Rd 13 game in 09 is considered one of the best games ever to have been played.

To say that the boys didn't walk the walk in the 1st GF is ridiculous as far as I'm concerned. Whilst Lenny and BJ were superb, ALL of them left their guts out on the field that day, regardless of how much individually they got the ball.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:
SainterK wrote:Moods, I thought Rd 13 this year was the only game I could remember that was the complete team performance this year.
It was. THat's my point. Often you can watch a ripping game of footy - and in my opinion the 1st GF was just that. If you're team wins you're far more lenient on guys who didn't have good games. The reverse is true when you lose. The Rd 13 game in 09 is considered one of the best games ever to have been played.

To say that the boys didn't walk the walk in the 1st GF is ridiculous as far as I'm concerned. Whilst Lenny and BJ were superb, ALL of them left their guts out on the field that day, regardless of how much individually they got the ball.
Exactly Moods; win the thing and you're all stars.

Leon Davis has a medal round his neck! :shock:

And key forwards such as Nathan Ablett, Tom Hawkins & Chris Dawes are lauded for performances that would earn Kosi another 20 pages of negativity on this site :roll:

R. Harvey 3 votes!
Club Player

All sounds like the usual hot air to me that I have heard many times b4! I would rather they said nothing and just actually make it happen for once!

When Harvey played his first game in 1988, I was a 12yo wearing short pants and struggling with my readin', writin' and 'rithmetic in grade eight. Now, I'm a father of three and a retired AFL player. And he's still going. Amazing! - Michael Voss
R. Harvey 3 votes!
Club Player

I agree with this. Joey can be a great player during the home and away season, but can anyone remember him actually ever doing anything during a final? Less talk and more walk is needed! We had two players during both Grand Finals Goddard and Hayes.

When Harvey played his first game in 1988, I was a 12yo wearing short pants and struggling with my readin', writin' and 'rithmetic in grade eight. Now, I'm a father of three and a retired AFL player. And he's still going. Amazing! - Michael Voss
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

R. Harvey 3 votes! wrote:

All sounds like the usual hot air to me that I have heard many times b4! I would rather they said nothing and just actually make it happen for once!
It is what it is.

Same every year, by every team.

The Pies will be even more motivated in 2011 as they want to go back to back :x

West Coast have an amazing bunch or talented kids :shock:

Can't really expect Joey to say anything else really and the club & sponsors would not have been impressed with a "no comment".