Rumour - Luke Miles delisted?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Miles has a history of being injury prone as well so he doesn't present as a reliable selection....maybe they have decided not to waste any more time hoping he develops.....

or maybe they are going to rookie him again....can they do that....

cant wait for the draft...it will answer some questions but not all of them...we will have to wait until the 7th of Dec to get the full picture....

Six debutants for the Saints so far in Season 2024. :D
Sean

Yeah Luke Miles is officially delisted.
Source:
http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/ ... fault.aspx

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Re: Rumour - Luke Miles delisted?

The Saintsational Man wrote:I've heard this from a friend who claims to know Luke and that's the story I was told.....

Please someone tell me it isn't so?
im disappointed. clearly your source was spot on the money.

The Saintsational Man
Club Player

Re: Rumour - Luke Miles delisted?

Con Gorozidis wrote:
The Saintsational Man wrote:I've heard this from a friend who claims to know Luke and that's the story I was told.....

Please someone tell me it isn't so?
im disappointed. clearly your source was spot on the money.
Up goes my street credit!!! :wink:

Harvey To Hayes
Club Player

Does anyone have any information on the rationale behind this delisting? I too thought he showed a lot of composure in those two games he played late in the year, and he obviously has pace, so why wouldn't he be worth a lower list spot? Very strange...

Was looking forward to seeing how he went this year, was one I thought we might get some decent improvement from...

The future's so bright I've got to wear shades...
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Harvey To Hayes wrote:Does anyone have any information on the rationale behind this delisting? I too thought he showed a lot of composure in those two games he played late in the year, and he obviously has pace, so why wouldn't he be worth a lower list spot? Very strange...

Was looking forward to seeing how he went this year, was one I thought we might get some decent improvement from...
Rationale is quite simple in my opinion. For about 70 games he wasnt good enough to get a game and then finally plays in 2 totally low pressure games. Also skills are very ordinary and he isnt big enough. Surprised he got upgraded last year.

Harvey To Hayes
Club Player

Fair call. I live up north so usually only get to see the seniors play these days. I remember thinking his skills seemed okay, but like you said they were hardly pressure-cooker environments...

The future's so bright I've got to wear shades...
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

Rationale is quite simple in my opinion. For about 70 games he wasnt good enough to get a game .
Too simple as for a lot of that period injury was big factor in why he could not be selected.

Durability has clearly been an issue with him., but if you cannot play full seasons your form will suffer.

Still if we are going to get new blood...some players have to go.

Raph will need to play a full season next year, otherwise he will most likely be gone too.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
vacuous space
SS Life Member

Nothing says you can't play at AFL level like playing a couple of good games at AFL level. Even if he is injury prone, we're twelve months out from drafting Jesse Smith, and Raph Clarke is still on the list.

If Eddy was good enough to be part of our best chances against Collingwood, then how is he not worth listing? If Miles could get selected ahead of Simpkin in rounds 21 and 22, then why is Simpkin getting upgraded and Miles getting thrown away. If these guys weren't in our plans for 2011, then why were they sucking up minutes so late in 2010.

Can we make it through an off-season without a complete head-scratcher of a list management decision? At least we didn't sign either of these guys to a multi-year contract before cutting them.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

I really hope Miles makes it - anywhere as I reckon given the time, injury free at top level this guy could do a Gwilt WITH pace.

I really had him pushing for a defensive spot next year - using his pace (which we arent blessed with in abundance) and becoming a vital defensive shut down on small fwd aka Garlett/Yarran/Burns et al who we have had so much trouble curtailing in the past.

From what I saw of Miles his composure was good - Id go as far as saying much better than Raphs.....

No logic in this call with Mqualter still sitting on the list - who is slow, has no offence, is small and who from 2009 dropped his defensive pressure game markedly.

Wish I knew the answer...

“Yeah….nah””
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:I really hope Miles makes it - anywhere as I reckon given the time, injury free at top level this guy could do a Gwilt WITH pace.

I really had him pushing for a defensive spot next year - using his pace (which we arent blessed with in abundance) and becoming a vital defensive shut down on small fwd aka Garlett/Yarran/Burns et al who we have had so much trouble curtailing in the past.

From what I saw of Miles his composure was good - Id go as far as saying much better than Raphs.....

No logic in this call with Mqualter still sitting on the list - who is slow, has no offence, is small and who from 2009 dropped his defensive pressure game markedly.

Why compare to raph?

Raph is a better kick, better mark and probably better reader of the game...

Players arnt selected on composure....

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:
Teflon wrote:I really hope Miles makes it - anywhere as I reckon given the time, injury free at top level this guy could do a Gwilt WITH pace.

Why compare to raph?

Raph is a better kick, better mark and probably better reader of the game...

Players arnt selected on composure....

The compousre point doesnt mean Im comparing him to Raph in totality as a player (this is not a shot at Raph who I rate)- its an example of an area where Miles IMHO has shown he goes ok. Composure is but 1 element of selecting a player - his pace being another attributeof which we dont have tons of.

Delisting a guy whose had no chance at continuity (unless they know his body is gone forever) makes little sense to me.

“Yeah….nah””
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

He is 24 yeah? 2 games since coming to the club in 2008...perhaps we all should of seen it coming?

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:He is 24 yeah? 2 games since coming to the club in 2008...perhaps we all should of seen it coming?
Maybe. Tad simplistic given his injuries and our current need for mature players to step in and make an impact in 2011. As I said, unless they KNOW his body isnt up to it I would have given him every chance this year to get a spot down back.....and really free us up flexibility wise...

In Ross I trust.

“Yeah….nah””
Winmar7Fan
Club Player

vacuous space wrote:Nothing says you can't play at AFL level like playing a couple of good games at AFL level. Even if he is injury prone, we're twelve months out from drafting Jesse Smith, and Raph Clarke is still on the list.

If Eddy was good enough to be part of our best chances against Collingwood, then how is he not worth listing? If Miles could get selected ahead of Simpkin in rounds 21 and 22, then why is Simpkin getting upgraded and Miles getting thrown away. If these guys weren't in our plans for 2011, then why were they sucking up minutes so late in 2010.

Can we make it through an off-season without a complete head-scratcher of a list management decision? At least we didn't sign either of these guys to a multi-year contract before cutting them.
I think It's a great thing. Finally they are prepared to make some hard decisions and try to replace these bottom enders who really aren't up to it for some better players that can help get us over the line in the big one.

Now we just need to also add the one in your Avatar to the casualty list and we can really free up some dead wood.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Rationale is quite simple in my opinion. For about 70 games he wasnt good enough to get a game .
Too simple as for a lot of that period injury was big factor in why he could not be selected.

Durability has clearly been an issue with him., but if you cannot play full seasons your form will suffer.

Raph will need to play a full season next year, otherwise he will most likely be gone too.

The guy is 24 and has played probably 10 games in Sandy seconds for reasons like returning from injury but also form. He would not have got close to getting as game had we not had a top 4 finished rapped up. Why would anyone take 2 games with little or no pressure on the side and then think he could make when for 3 years minus 2 games he never looked to me anyway anyting other than a Sandy player and an ordinary one at that.

People worrying about Miles axing should be more worried about Eddy. Either our selection comitetee or our list management have issues because I doubt many players have been delisted after their last game being a GF when they are only 23 years old especially as we picked this guy in the game when he had injuries going into it.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

The guy is 24 and has played probably 10 games in Sandy seconds for reasons like returning from injury but also form. He would not have got close to getting as game had we not had a top 4 finished rapped up. Why would anyone take 2 games with little or no pressure on the side and then think he could make when for 3 years minus 2 games he never looked to me anyway anyting other than a Sandy player and an ordinary one at that.

People worrying about Miles axing should be more worried about Eddy. Either our selection comitetee or our list management have issues because I doubt many players have been delisted after their last game being a GF when they are only 23 years old especially as we picked this guy in the game when he had injuries going into it.
I dont think the fact Eddy played his last game in a GF says we have to be at all worried bout our selection/list management process. I think Lyon picks the side he thinks can best win on that day. Its not a precursor to saying "you've been picked in a GF side therefore you will have a long, propsperous career at St Kilda". We also aren't privvy to the inner injury/selection issues faced by the club on those days to make any assumptions.

“Yeah….nah””
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Haven't heard anything from Miles himself but it wouldn't surprise me to learn he'd done a Jason McCartney.

Most people were surprised that after all the effort McCartney went through to get back on the field with North that he announced his retirement at the end of his first game back.

Luke has constantly struggled with injuries and may have come to the realisation that he could not cope with the pressures of AFL. He finally managed to play 2 AFL games and maybe he's satisfied with that and is happy to walk away.

Maybe he's happy to be a fireman and a WAFL player, with 2 AFL games and an AFL Grand Final Sprint medal to his name.

Who knows?

As much chance of this as of the Saints just giving him the flick IMO.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:Haven't heard anything from Miles himself but it wouldn't surprise me to learn he'd done a Jason McCartney.

Most people were surprised that after all the effort McCartney went through to get back on the field with North that he announced his retirement at the end of his first game back.

Luke has constantly struggled with injuries and may have come to the realisation that he could not cope with the pressures of AFL. He finally managed to play 2 AFL games and maybe he's satisfied with that and is happy to walk away.

Maybe he's happy to be a fireman and a WAFL player, with 2 AFL games and an AFL Grand Final Sprint medal to his name.

Who knows?

No he wants to play and that is why he nominated for the draft. We talk about this guy as if he one had more injuries than any player known to man and two he was the saviour. Neither which is true.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:Haven't heard anything from Miles himself but it wouldn't surprise me to learn he'd done a Jason McCartney.

Who knows?

No he wants to play and that is why he nominated for the draft. We talk about this guy as if he one had more injuries than any player known to man and two he was the saviour. Neither which is true.
Fair enough p66, if he's nominated for the Draft then his intentions are clear.

Thought he finally showed a bit but as you say he was never going to be the saviour and I'm happy to back the club in, as they clearly know a lot more about it than me.

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

I really thought he'd saved himself with those late games. Sure, low pressure, but to me it looked like a guy who was athletic enough to fill a role at AFL level, just not savvy enough to ever dominate at any level.

That closing speed was awesome.

Hard to get too worked up though, if you're going to be a 1-trick pony, closing speed isn't the best trick to go with unless you can mix it with the strength to play FB.

Really feel for Eddy though... 2xGF to the curb? That's a tough one...

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

BAM! (shhhh) wrote:I really thought he'd saved himself with those late games. Sure, low pressure, but to me it looked like a guy who was athletic enough to fill a role at AFL level, just not savvy enough to ever dominate at any level.

That closing speed was awesome.

Hard to get too worked up though, if you're going to be a 1-trick pony, closing speed isn't the best trick to go with unless you can mix it with the strength to play FB.

Really feel for Eddy though... 2xGF to the curb? That's a tough one...
Unluckier than some to be delisted.

Yet, luckier than some others to have been given the chance.

That's footy!
Last edited by Dr Spaceman on Tue 16 Nov 2010 1:05pm, edited 1 time in total.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

+ 1. it doesnt stack up. and what ever happened to the old adage about taking injured players into finals. eddy couldnt get a kick at the best of times let alone with a serious injury. its all weird.

R. Harvey 3 votes!
Club Player

Who knows?

The saints gave him the flick. He was offered a contract by the club and it was being negotiated then the club turned around and gave him the flick the day before the list deadlines saying that they wanted to go for more younger players and had to free up a spot. It was pretty harsh on Luke I would have thought as he was under the impression he was getting a contract and then it's taken away. That's footy though I guess and at the end of the day I support the club. I wish him all the best and I hope he gets another opportunity at another club.

When Harvey played his first game in 1988, I was a 12yo wearing short pants and struggling with my readin', writin' and 'rithmetic in grade eight. Now, I'm a father of three and a retired AFL player. And he's still going. Amazing! - Michael Voss
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

R. Harvey 3 votes! wrote:I wish him all the best and I hope he gets another opportunity at another club.
Absolutely no disagreement there RH3V.

Always liked Milesy, but yeah, club comes first.