Saints fans who live in geelong

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Solar
Saintsational Legend

Saints fans who live in geelong

Can I start by asking the mods to delete any posts from those who live elsewhere. I don't have the time to go through 10 pages of rubbish about geelong as I don't have constant internet access in the next month.

Anyway, I am in the middle of a move down to geelong. Melbourne boy who loves his saints more then anything else (don't tell the better half.)

Love the fact that there are interstate and regional groups of saints supporters and have a few questions for those who live down the highway.

1. How many are out there? Would firstly like to know if there is a big amount of us.

2. Is there already a supporters group, even unofficial group of saints fans who get together to watch interstate games etc.

3. If not then is anyone interested in forming one? We could then not only support each other during the footy season but be able to create a social outlet. We could also

- Discover a great pub to fill and take over the TV for interstate matches. Nothing worse then trying to find somewhere to watch the game in the heartland of the cat.

- Deck out a carriage on the vline trains going to and from our games in melbourne. I have learnt that it's awesome to catch up with saints supporters before the game and imagine round 1 trip to melbourne, us v them!!!!

- Have functions, events, social days..... hell I don't know. I just want saints people to hang out with at a pub but the opportunities are endless.

Anyway if there are saints people in geelong who are up for this let me know. Might put this on facebook also ;)

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Re: Saints fans who live in geelong

Solar wrote:Anyway, I am in the middle of a move down to geelong. Melbourne boy who loves his saints more then anything else (don't tell the better half.)
A big welcome to G'Town Solar :D

I'm a Moorabbin/Melbourne boy myself who only made the move last year but I feel like a local already! Best thing I ever did. Forget the Cats - the place itself is great.

As far as the footy goes I've pretty much kept things as they were. Still meet up with the same two mates at the same pub etc. I've just changed from a 40 min tram ride to a 60 min V/Line ride. All good!

With the interstate games I've watched them at home so far as I tend to like to get "in the zone". But this place has an amazing amount of good pubs and they all like showing their sport.

Don't know about the supporters groups but if the V/Line trains are any indication, there's quite a few of us down here.

Again, welcome :D

SaintDebi
Club Player

Solar, as Spaceman says, there are quite a few of us down here. Of course there are a lot of cats fans who outnumber us, but overall most of those down here who dont barrack for them hate them!
You might want to avoid the local newspaper during footy season as lets just say its slightly biased!
I tend to watch interstate games with family at home or someone else's place, so I don't know which pubs televise our games, but there are plenty to choose from so I'm sure you'll find one you like? What part of Geelong are you moving to?
We drive to games, but the trains provide a pretty good service, although occasionally you here of people missing games - or part of- due to Vline hiccups.

Now, I do know of a supporter bus that goes to all Melb games. Its not really an official supporter group, but its a full bus of passionate Sainters and has a few pick up points along the way. I don't think they advertise the service as as far as I know they are not actively looking for more "members", but they may still be happy to welcome a newcomer.
I travelled to and from a few games with them a few years ago and it was good fun, with friendly people and games and comps (ie: first goalkicker etc), and plenty of celebrating after a win.
I don't remember what it cost, but I do recall that it was reasonably priced.
If you are interested I have a contact and can ask if they are open to take another supporter.

As for "Sleepy Hollow" itself: welcome. Its a bit more laid back than the big smoke, but I love it here.

Shattered dreams are just opportunities for improvement. Live and learn, fail and try harder. 2011 beckons.
wallbanger
Club Player

Welcome Solar.

First things first, moving down here get ready to hear very little AFL news that doesn't involve Geelong. Understandable to a point of course, given it is the only one-team town in Victoria, but even so, it grates on you after a little while. I find that the Geelong supporters have a particular and specific hatred of the Saints - not quite sure why, probably just an extension of the on-field rivalry that has gone on between the two clubs over the last few years.

As for supporter groups, I too have heard of the bus that goes up to Melbourne, but haven't been on it or been a member of that supporter group. Myself and my young bloke usually catch the train up to games, particularly arvo games at Etihaad - very convenient and easy to step straight off at Southern Cross.

Most of the pubs play the games - I think I mentioned to you earlier in the year about the Sporting Globe in the middle of town, it's prbably one of the better ones for watching the games. The Eureka in the arvo is alright too, but avoid it Saturday nights. I think most Sainters around here enjoy the safety of their loungerooms to watch the interstate games!

You should get a laugh or two out of listening to the footy calls on K-rock down here also - a more biased, one-sided commentary you will never hear. Hiliarious, unless it is against the Saints.

The town itself is great, particularly in summer down the waterfront. Melbourne 45 minutes away, Torquay 20 minutes away, Great Ocean Rd on your doorstep. Nice.

Enjoy.

Please...let's win a Premiership before GEELONG!!!! (O.k., so we've missed that opportunity...maybe let's win the next one before Geelong????)
ChicagoSaint
Club Player

poo wiff geelong dont they have some sort of treatment plant down there or some shite?

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

ChicagoSaint wrote:poo wiff geelong dont they have some sort of treatment plant down there or some shite?
Me thinks you may be trying to stir the pot there CS. 8-)

Poo Town is actually about half way between the CBD (Central Bashing District) and Paradise on the Bay.

It's better than a power nap - it wakens you up on the long drive home :wink:

ChicagoSaint
Club Player

Poo Town :lol:
That's Werribee isn't it? Where Poodsiadly is originally from?

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

ChicagoSaint wrote:Poo Town :lol:
Don't tell anyone CS but I believe there's another one of those poo plants on the other, more effluent, sorry, affluent side of the bay :wink:

ChicagoSaint
Club Player

Dr Spaceman wrote:
Don't tell anyone CS but I believe there's another one of those poo plants on the other, more effluent, sorry, affluent side of the bay :wink:
Really DS, where? :?
Where is East Poo Town? :? :?
All this time I was trying to practice avoiding bronze whalers when they drift across the bay only to learn that there is a local brown trout population nearby..... where is the eastern bum nugget sifting shop DS?

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

ChicagoSaint wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:
Really DS, where? :?
Where is East Poo Town? :? :?
All this time I was trying to practice avoiding bronze whalers when they drift across the bay only to learn that there is a local brown trout population nearby..... where is the eastern bum nugget sifting shop DS?
Oh really?

Ever dipped an oar in the Patterson River CS?

If so, that ain't sludge on ya paddle! :lol:

ChicagoSaint
Club Player

Love how in the off-season the talk turns to turd:
Eastern Treatment Plant

The Eastern Treatment Plant in Bangholme treats about 40% of Melbourne’s sewage, or about 330 million litres a day. It serves about 1.5 million people in Melbourne's south-eastern and eastern suburbs.

Sewage is treated and disinfected. Some of it is used as recycled water by local customers. The rest is pumped via a 56-kilometre pipeline for discharge into Bass Strait at the South Eastern Outfall at Boags Rocks on the Mornington Peninsula.
Knew there was something fishy about Boags! Knew IT! Don't let wnyone ever tell you Boags is a decent drop - it's a shite drop!!

howlinwolf
Club Player

We are down this way also. Just outsdide Geelong.

the very best thing you need to learn to do is tune out to the Geelong Ablettiser.

Almost daily through the year, and certainly daily through the footy season....... front page/ back page .... Cats.

You can easily learn to hate them as much as the Filth. yes, that's right even the Filth.

Shopping is crap but it has great access to the coast + melbourne.
Taking an old collectable car for a run is a dream. Couldn't own it if i lived in melbourne.

We don't have Foxtel and sometimes go to Buckley's Pokie venue in Breakwater to watch the Saints. they have good food at good prices, many big screens and will happily put your game on if you ask.

It would be good to have a common ground somewhere to mingle with Saints supporters down here.

Robert Harvey's last home game. 24 Aug 2008
StKilda 13.17 def Adelaide 6.11
ChicagoSaint
Club Player

breakwater :shock: sounds exclusive :lol: normally you break bread ..

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Does this mean that land values in 3132 have risen sharply :?: :roll: :wink: :wink: !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:Does this mean that land values in 3132 have risen sharply :?: :roll: :wink: :wink: !!
Depends whether that's a postcode or a year you're referring to Eastern. :wink:

Solar
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:Does this mean that land values in 3132 have risen sharply :?: :roll: :wink: :wink: !!
nope, will continue to visit me old hunting ground.

Thanks to everyone for their responses. See how things go down here and might invite some of ya to meet up perhaps.

At least it's not flooding here :wink:

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith