So... draft prospects...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Saintersss
Club Player

So... draft prospects...

So its 23 days until we can start getting excited again and gaining hope for the new year.

I know we need midfielders, but if Jack Darling is available at Pick 24, the Saints would be crazy not to pick him up. Touted as a top 2 pick in 2009, his value has plummeted due a series of off-field incidents, not growing and only an okay carnival. And now he is a real chance at lasting to Pick 24.

I've read this board over the past two years and i've constantly heard that we need a new Aaron Hamill. Well, Jack Darling is the closest anyone will get to him in a while. Standing at 190cm, he is an agressive competitor who can apply enormous defensive pressure. Questions about his height and him being able to become a KPF have been raised, but I think that because he is so good at ground level (able to play in the midfield for spurts) and that he can apply defensive pressure, means he could play as an effective 3rd tall. He is able to be that other link up player we need and lead up to the wings to provide another option. (Think Robert Murphy).

And the best thing? He is ready made, at 87kg, he is already a big unit and would be able to slot into the forward line next to Roo and Kosi next year.

Now I know a lot of you are thinking, there must be something wrong with him if he had slid so far in the recruiters eyes. Well his off-field incidents has raised a few eyebrows. He was expelled? (maybe just suspended) from his school after a drunken sex romp. But this is hardly a surprising act for a 17 year old. He was also injured due to getting into a fight outside a nightclub, although it was reported it was completly unprovoked. Also, some believe the fact that he was such a big unit in 2009, he just dominated due to his size, but I think if he plays as a 3rd tall this may not be such a problem.

Other prospects?
- Well Dion Prestia is another I'd love to get. Very similar to Rodan in that he is a little on the short side (175cm), but is extremly powerful and very good in traffic. Can play inside/outside.

- Kieran Harper is another good prospect. A medium tall with a great leap (first at the combine?) and has x-factor. Could also very possibly move into the midfield later in his career.

- For later picks, Myles Sewell is defiently an option I'd love the Saints to look at. Brother of Brad Sewell, and VFL superstar, he may not end up as good as Barlow, but defiently will be handy in helping out Hayes in the middle. Also has played very well in the VFL grand finals. ;)

- Blayne Wilson, is another player I really rate that has slipped down the pecking order. Made the AA squad in 2009, he a great kick and could end up as a great mid-sized defender. Probably not a position we are in desperate need for though.

- We are a little short in our ruck departments and I think former Port Adelaide player Jonathon Giles could be a good option as a back up to Gardiner and McEvoy. Has dominated the SANFL since being delisted and fits in the age gap in rucks we are missing.

Calais
Club Player

Re: So... draft prospects...

Bit of a biased post but oh well. Ryan Wilson from the Eastern Rangers. One of my best mates. Played at Scoresby FC together and he would seriously win every award possible to win. He always came first in the BNF, me coming second. He 'blossomed ' though haha

Excellent marking ability and the BEST left foot i have ever seen!

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/ ... fault.aspx

fingers
Saintsational Legend

Calais wrote:Bit of a biased post but oh well. Ryan Wilson from the Eastern Rangers. One of my best mates. Played at Scoresby FC together and he would seriously win every award possible to win. He always came first in the BNF, me coming second. He 'blossomed ' though haha

Maybe we should take you ?

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Calais wrote:Bit of a biased post but oh well. Ryan Wilson from the Eastern Rangers. One of my best mates. Played at Scoresby FC together and he would seriously win every award possible to win. He always came first in the BNF, me coming second. He 'blossomed ' though haha

geez, not another rough-nut redhead.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Mitch Hallahan at 184cm, is described as a hard at it inside mid. He could still be there at 24. Also Jed Lamb, a goal-kicking 182cm fwd/mid. Leif Cope at 205cm could be worth a look in the later picks. Both Hallahan and Cope are Saint supporters as well.

Calais
Club Player

fingers wrote:

Maybe we should take you ?
That would be a fine decision :lol:

FortiusQuoFidelius
Club Player

borderbarry wrote:Mitch Hallahan at 184cm, is described as a hard at it inside mid. He could still be there at 24. Also Jed Lamb, a goal-kicking 182cm fwd/mid. Leif Cope at 205cm could be worth a look in the later picks. Both Hallahan and Cope are Saint supporters as well.
Mitch Hallahan... very similar to Mitch Hahn, just a bit bigger! :lol: :lol:

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

FortiusQuoFidelius wrote:
borderbarry wrote:Mitch Hallahan at 184cm, is described as a hard at it inside mid. He could still be there at 24. Also Jed Lamb, a goal-kicking 182cm fwd/mid. Leif Cope at 205cm could be worth a look in the later picks. Both Hallahan and Cope are Saint supporters as well.
Mitch Hallahan... very similar to Mitch Hahn, just a bit bigger! :lol: :lol:
Mitch Hahn with more character(s) :wink:

Macdog82

The Saints should look at a player by the name of Viv Mitchie for their first section in the draft. The kid is 187cm and 78 kg and averaged 16 dispoals in 2010 U18 Champs. As Kevin Sheehan describes him, Well rounded player who is dangerous as a forward and can play midfield or back. Excellent kick and reads the game extremely well.

The Saints need to look for strong users of the footy and this kid certainly sounds like he can use it.

He could certainly add a bit to the midfield and could also be that third fwd Ryan O'keefe player we have been looking for.
Last edited by Macdog82 on Wed 27 Oct 2010 2:07pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Cope fits the "snoopygirl criteria" too. He is 5'21 1/2" or 6'9 1/2" or 206cm and still fits into a Lancer !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Macdog82 wrote:He is also a passionate stkilda supporter, and would certainly be a welcome addition to the saints.
a lot of people mention this in touting draft prospects. surely it's immaterial. if the only reason they're going to play well is because they're a saints supporter then they aren't mentally strong enough for afl. judd wasn't a west coast supporter but he did pretty well over there. and at carlton despite not being a carlton supporter. it might give us supporters a warm glow to recruit saints supporters (lynch? winmar?) but it doesn't necessarily mean anything.

Macdog82

Hi Bergholt I understand what you are saying and I have no doubt reading some things on this kid he would make it regardless if he barracked for the saints or not. Besides the fact hes a saints supporter and watching vision and reading the comments about him by Kevin Sheehan, this kid certainly looks the type of player we need in the side would you not agree.

He has the potential to be a midfielder but also could push forward and his height would mean he could play that ryan o'keefe type role we have been craving out for.