SEAFORD CENTRE ??? !!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

GrumpyOne wrote:
iwantmeseats wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
iwantmeseats wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
iwantmeseats wrote:Sounds like a f****** non descript back of burke disaster . Terrific. :evil:

One fleeting decision from A now departed Scottish CEO and we have BURNT our soul. f****** great.
Why does it matter where it is? We cant even watch training these days anyway.
Its really not about watching training. Well occassionally...who dosent (who is old enough) get that joyous feeling from rocking up to Moorabbin when training is on in finals....or to pick something up from the shop etc...

Its HOME. Its part of many of us who basically grew up there.

Imagine if we happen to win the flag next year....YES! Lets all head to ......Seaford?.....dont think so....=NO SOUL.
Moorabbin is still there for 30 more years.
But for what?? I may just make it a place to go and have a few beers at the pokies when passing through...seriously...Ill be arsed if Im going to lose my connection to the place if I can help it.

A Moorabbin redevelopment would have been a huge moral boost for the club. Something beyond first class facilities for training in the modern era. Sadly we , when most other clubs do or had the choice...do not have that. Sound familar? f***.
Do you still go to the Junction Oval?
Before my time so irrelevant. I see what you mean, but for the vast majority, Moorabbin is home, having been there for close enough to 50 years.

suss
Club Player

I can't understand why the hell people are making a fuss of this now that it's done. The time to do something about it has well and truly passed.

GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

iwantmeseats wrote:
GrumpyOne wrote:
iwantmeseats wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
iwantmeseats wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
iwantmeseats wrote:Sounds like a f****** non descript back of burke disaster . Terrific. :evil:

One fleeting decision from A now departed Scottish CEO and we have BURNT our soul. f****** great.
Why does it matter where it is? We cant even watch training these days anyway.
Its really not about watching training. Well occassionally...who dosent (who is old enough) get that joyous feeling from rocking up to Moorabbin when training is on in finals....or to pick something up from the shop etc...

Its HOME. Its part of many of us who basically grew up there.

Imagine if we happen to win the flag next year....YES! Lets all head to ......Seaford?.....dont think so....=NO SOUL.
Moorabbin is still there for 30 more years.
But for what?? I may just make it a place to go and have a few beers at the pokies when passing through...seriously...Ill be arsed if Im going to lose my connection to the place if I can help it.

A Moorabbin redevelopment would have been a huge moral boost for the club. Something beyond first class facilities for training in the modern era. Sadly we , when most other clubs do or had the choice...do not have that. Sound familar? f***.
Do you still go to the Junction Oval?
Before my time so irrelevant. I see what you mean, but for the vast majority, Moorabbin is home, having been there for close enough to 50 years.
We were at the Junction Oval for longer, but nobody (B4 excepted) pines for there.

Perhaps because we won our first premiership only a couple of years after moving, the place is special.

I'll wait and see after we have won our second premiership out of Seaford. Opinions will change pretty quickly then.

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

GrumpyOne wrote: We were at the Junction Oval for longer, but nobody (B4 excepted) pines for there.

Perhaps because we won our first premiership only a couple of years after moving, the place is special.

I'll wait and see after we have won our second premiership out of Seaford. Opinions will change pretty quickly then.
For the record
Not true B4E was the only one I would have MUCH prefered the Albert Park location (and dont bring up Vic cricket, if the m "C" g, the s "C" g, and the gabba can can handle both codes then surely junction oval can.
And as I will not be getting down to Linton St or Seaford anytime soon, I do not have a vested interest either way.
But set me straight on this Seaford/Moorabbin issue again
Didnt we just have a forum debate that the saints are splitting between Linton/Seaford anyway? That to me is a much bigger issue in the form of double costings

Seeya
FortiusQuoFidelius
Club Player

You seem te be forgetting (or perhaps you really didnt know in the first place) that the decision to move away from Moorabbin was due to the Kingston Concil withdrawing its funding for the redevelopment and not just on the whim of a "departed Scottish CEO"

suss
Club Player

FortiusQuoFidelius wrote:

You seem te be forgetting (or perhaps you really didnt know in the first place) that the decision to move away from Moorabbin was due to the Kingston Concil withdrawing its funding for the redevelopment and not just on the whim of a "departed Scottish CEO"
You might be right (and probably are) but I thought the reduction in the number of pokie machines was the sticking point.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

movng from one moorabin is one issue. the choice of destination is another.

i personally still dont understand why u cant have a separate pokies venue from a training venue anyhow.

i also am amazed if the entire decision came down to one of pokie installations.

i think it happened when butters had lost his grip and there was a power vacuum. somehow archie just pushed it through when noone was looking. the moorabin issue dragged on for years. then frankston came up. next thing u knew we were in carrum downs in the blink of an eye.

Legendary
Club Player

Moorabbin means SFA to me.

It's worth less than a New Zealand coin in a vending machine.

I never watched a football game there, I've been there twice to watch training (GF training), I've never been to the shop, never played pokies there and never went to a social function there.

To me, Moorabbin is the biggest dump in the world.

It's falling down, it's archaic, it's a heap of crap in a semi-industrial suburb surrounded by old people and a bowling green.

The faster we get out of Moorabbin the better.

I can't believe how short sighted most people on here are. You must be the sort of people in charge of the State Government and planning in Victoria.

Where would we have been if Drake and co. had been short sighted in the 1960's?
Up the Maribyrnong with no paddle.

Seaford is not about the next five years and pandering to the old codgers like my dad who remember the "good old days" of standing on cans at Moorabbin.

Seaford is not about some crap of "honouring" the past, or being "convenient" for our wealthy players who currently live in Brighton.

Seaford is about the next 30, 40 and 50 years. Seaford is about a time in the next two generations when Melbourne suburbia stretches from the CBD all the way down to Frankston.
When you won't be able to buy a house within 10kms of Port Phillip for under $5 million dollars.

When every bayside area around Carrum, Aspendale, Seaford and Frankston is upper middle class.

When "Melbourne2030" has Frankston and Dandenong as the two MAJOR centres of service, industry and WORK in this state, and many affulent people will want to live NEAR their workplaces in these areas.

Seaford is about establishing in a GROWING area with young families, who will continue having kids, continue buying land and accumulating wealth and improving the quality of services and aesthetics in their area.

Seaford is about this club developing a facility of excellence, with room to expand for the future. It is about giving the club a base from which to build, providing the players with THE best and having everything that we need in the one location.

Gone are the days of making history at a place. You now have "training venues" and highly paid professional players.

If you are still stuck back in the 1960's and yearn for some antiquated, Jurassic establishment which fulfills your short-sighted desire to be comforted by history, then continue to bag Seaford.

Continue to show your ignorance and inability to envisage something long-term and strategically successful that the Saints have done.

Put away your slippers and your cardigans and crawl back in bed. I am part of the generation of supporters that will carry this club financially and emotionally for the next 50 years, and Seaford is a great idea.

It gives us the best facility to win a flag.

At the end of the day, that's what counts.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
Solar wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
Stephen Theodore wrote:As I have no idea about Peninsula links, etc, and as I understand the majority of players live around the Brighton bayside area and surrounds, how long would it take to drive to Belvedere Oval from where a large number of players are currently living ?
nick riewoldt lives in sth melbourne. and i think we all know that grammy fisher and bj and a few others live in port melbourne....
so its friggin miles away. solid 45 mins drive

ross lyon lives in nth fitzroy as does SOS.... which is probably 45 mins on eastlink... so in case anyone is wanting to know why SOS left....
what rubbish

It is common knowledge that at the end of the 2009 season SOS wanted to leave for a football job that is less stressful and time consuming. Because of his loyality to Lyon he stayed on another year. He has gone on to a development role in sydney. How could a future training facility effect him unless he came back to the club in a future role. Strange logic!

How about we work with facts, not one player or staff member is on the record on being against the move. It will be used as a training and admin facility. There will be mostly closed training so parking will not be effected and they could always use moorabin or other areas for practice matches or open training.

I'm still bloody bleeding about things but the wrist cutting around here is disgusting!
rubbish? u pick up on one tiny point (sos) and then try to imply my whole argument was wrong. yes. lets work with facts. please dispute the other players arrangements as i mentioned above. and as if anyone is going to publicly speak against it. ask them privately.

Given archie frasers intimate knowledge of Scotland, I hardly think he was the best qualified person to be making decisions about localities in foreign Melbourne. . For the record he now lives in the Gold Coast. Theres a f*cking fact for you.
no, you used him as a piece of evidence to discredit the argument to have it down there. Hence I have every right to callyou on it.

Secondly you quote a series of players, each who have never compaigned about the position of the future facilities. I have only heard positives from lyon.

Finally I'm not sure how Frasers past or future have ANYTHING to do with the facts of the matter. Will we gain a foothold in the south? Will the facilities be state of the art. Did we get full use of the facilities (unlike other clubs who have to share their facilities).

Lets wait and see the finished product before we get depressed.

In the meantime, think before you post Con!

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
Legendary
Club Player

Archie Fraser fought harder than anyone, ANYONE ELSE at St Kilda to keep the training venue at Moorabbin.

He did more work than you could possibly imagine trying to keep the Saints there.

He also recognised after 4 years of negotiations and the election of a new board in 2008 that we needed a different path and weren't getting anywhere.

Like any sensible person, he made a pragmatic decision to cut his losses, and chose the next best destination - a suburb (currently outer, but bayside and fast-growing) within the "Saints corridor" that would give us room for long-term expansion and a lack of objections to building the best possiblity facility.

Stop shooting from the hip at Archie when you have no idea about the negotiation process (he is know to me personally).

If you want to apportion "blame" (and I think Seaford is a great decision), look at the current board.

ChicagoSaint
Club Player

where did the troll go?

savatage
SS Life Member

People are whinging & when it's all said & done - they will then say how much they love it when they discover how good it actually is. Mountain, molehill scenario.

Legendary
Club Player

savatage wrote:People are whinging & when it's all said & done - they will then say how much they love it when they discover how good it actually is. Mountain, molehill scenario.
Is that common sense in the air? :shock:

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

I can't believe people are complaining about how it looks when it's not even finished. Have a look at any construction site and tell me it looks as good as the final product.

I mean some are even critical of the ground surface. Give them a chance to finish the job before you start suggesting they'll be training on a ploughed field. I'm pretty sure if will be excellent when the boys actually get to run out on it.

Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

At the end of the day, if you're true blue Saints supporters/members, you'll be happy whereever they train/admin

I moved away from Melboure in the mid 70s, and my love and support of St Kilda has not diminished 1%. In fact the passion has grown stronger over the years, and not just since we've started having some success.

I have two grown up kids born in QLD who also are passionate about St Kilda, and they've never lived in Melbourne.

I can remember the Junction Oval days (the latter end), the Moorabin days, and the Waverly Days. Big deal, so we've moved house a few times. Most Companies do the same, hopefully to improve their position. If we improve our position at Seaford from 2nd to 1st, I dont think there will be too much complaining going on.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
SainterK wrote:
matrix wrote:sooooo...
crap venue
crappy looking ground (not far out from commencing training)
crappy area

things are looking ok then?
Why is the 'area' such an issue, don't they drive into the carpark, train in the facilities, eat at the facilities, workout in the facilities, get in the car and drive back home again?

I think once they are there, they will quickly get over it....

Have to. :)
so u wont mind if ur employers shifts ur workplace to kabul? sweet. whats the differerence. u park walk in and do ur job.
My head office moved, a good 30 mins further away, I dealt with it...had a whinge at the time, but adjusted.

ChicagoSaint
Club Player

Legendary wrote:Archie Fraser fought harder than anyone, ANYONE ELSE at St Kilda to keep the training venue at Moorabbin.

He did more work than you could possibly imagine trying to keep the Saints there.
AF also had 1-on-1 meetings after kingston to attempt to negotiate frankston park but in the end the power at the dolphins made it impossible for us.

Couple of home truths though, the line about the extra costs in Frankston Park was PR. the reality was that the dolphins just didn't want us moving in and taking it.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

ChicagoSaint wrote:
Legendary wrote:Archie Fraser fought harder than anyone, ANYONE ELSE at St Kilda to keep the training venue at Moorabbin.

AF also had 1-on-1 meetings after kingston to attempt to negotiate frankston park but in the end the power at the dolphins made it impossible for us.

Couple of home truths though, the line about the extra costs in Frankston Park was PR. the reality was that the dolphins just didn't want us moving in and taking it.
There was some romantic notion that we would move to Frankston and after training the boys would head down to a beachside cafe & enjoy a latte.

Reality is that they would have jumped straight in their cars and headed home - the same as they'll do at Seaford. The same as all players from all teams do. Did the boys stroll down to a South Rd cafe after training at Linton Street?

Yes Frankston Oval may have been prettier but so what. If people think a drive to Seaford will cost us players and staff, then surely an even longer drive would simply magnify the problem.

PeckettofChips
Club Player

ChicagoSaint wrote:where did the troll go?
Have a look in the mirror and you will see him stubbydick.

ChicagoSaint
Club Player

you're right although the romance was more to do with having a cafe in the actual building overlooking the bay.

in any case there is a new $2.1m grandstand on the site now proudly named after the guy who made it impossible for us to move there.

lets just say that council and the dolphins didnt exactly see things the same way.

ChicagoSaint
Club Player

PeckettofChips wrote:
do you mind

PeckettofChips
Club Player

ChicagoSaint wrote:
PeckettofChips wrote:
do you mind
Proof. You have none.

You are just a sh*tstirrer. You belong on a Carlton board.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote: There was some romantic notion that we would move to Frankston and after training the boys would head down to a beachside cafe & enjoy a latte.

Reality is that they would have jumped straight in their cars and headed home - the same as they'll do at Seaford. The same as all players from all teams do. Did the boys stroll down to a South Rd cafe after training at Linton Street?
You don't live anywhere near Moorabbin, do you?

Many players can be seen on any day in certain cafes in Moorabbin and Brighton. I don't think they want to eat and socialise in the workplace.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

PeckettofChips wrote:
ChicagoSaint wrote:
PeckettofChips wrote:
do you mind
Proof. You have none.

You are just a sh*tstirrer. You belong on a Carlton board.
Definetly a troll with BF experience.

PeckettofChips
Club Player

Jesus, you guys are fricken trigger happy.

I wont repond to your stupid accusxations on here anymore.

You have anything to say to me pm me. But make sure you have proof. You wont though.

No one want sto read through your crap on here.

Stick to the topic.