Ryan Murphy

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The darkness
Club Player

Ryan Murphy

Was surprised and interested in seeing that Ryan murphy from the Dockers was de listed today. He is still quite young and is a great size and physique in the Gilbo mode. Would be a very handy player to pick up dont you think ?

True Blue Sainter
Club Player

No.

He's been around for ages, and has never established himself in (for the most part) a rubbish side. Not tall enough for a KPP, not athletic enough to play the lead-up role, and not quick enough to be a genuine small forward-cum-midfielder. Really average, mediocre sort of footballer. Has a nice kick at goal, and that's about it.

The Saints are coming!
The darkness
Club Player

Dont know why he has gone backwards but checked him out a bit more and it makes for interesting reading
25 yrs old, 193cm(6.3) drafted #12 '03 draft
Pretty sure he is from victoria so could well be worth giving him a second chance, Could be that third tall weve been looking for and he is ready to go..worth a punt i reckon wouldnt be asking much either..
His best year was '06 so im not sure why he has dropped off so much maybe injury ...

Cro
Club Player

I like how we continue to say no about players that are going to cost us next to nothing, when we've seen players like Ray n Dawson come from decent sides where they couldn't get a game and turn themselves into locked in best 22 players.

If we're not giving up much, why not?

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Cro wrote:I like how we continue to say no about players that are going to cost us next to nothing, when we've seen players like Ray n Dawson come from decent sides where they couldn't get a game and turn themselves into locked in best 22 players.

Simple really.

Youth is the way to go according to many.
We've reached our 'quota' of recycled players already.

It doesn't matter if the youth aren't ready yet - they must be played continuously in place of older players (especially recycled ones) because everybody knowd that youth is the answer to all our ills.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

He's had injury problems and has struggled for form. Back when he was showing a lot of promise I remember a quick, athletic, damaging forward. If he could recapture his best form then he would be a huge asset to the team - 45 goals as a deep leading forward taking pressure of Roo would be huge. Then again, Freo would have good reasons for delisting him.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Cro wrote:I like how we continue to say no about players that are going to cost us next to nothing, when we've seen players like Ray n Dawson come from decent sides where they couldn't get a game and turn themselves into locked in best 22 players.

We may not have to give up much in one sense.

However for each player that comes in we either have to delist another one of "our" players, or pick up one less kid in the draft.

So there's still got to be a good reason to pick up these rejects; not just the fact that they're cheap.

Middo
Club Player

Dr Spaceman wrote:

We may not have to give up much in one sense.

However for each player that comes in we either have to delist another one of "our" players, or pick up one less kid in the draft.

So there's still got to be a good reason to pick up these rejects; not just the fact that they're cheap.
Maybe Rookie list him...? .... Would he qualify as a rookie ?

Jack Newnes happy to be a Saint !!!! PS and to hit a target !!!
sax
Club Player

Can we invite him to train when we start up again?
When is that anyway?

Foundation Social Club Member No. 296
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

The guy is no good. So far if we got every player mentioned on here we would be a much worse side by a long way. As for doesnt cost much well that is rubbish. If we had that thought every year we wouldnt have Fisher or Gwilt. It always costs something.

Brisvegas saint
Club Player

Yep, steer clear of the other clubs rejects.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

I was a huge fan of his when he burst onto the scene. He looked a tremendous prospect.

Obviously something has gone wrong, though I still don't know what.

However, I'd bring him to train with us if we can to see what kind of shape he is in.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

derby Street
Club Player

One would assume that Freo threw his name up at trade week - the fact that no club appeared to show any interest says a bit. He has dropped off a fair bit in the last 3 years so I can't see much upside and I doubt whether he would get back to the required level. By the way he would cost us something - a pick in the draft that we could use to get a "hidden gem" !!!!

busso mick
Club Player

He kicked a few bags at WAFL level this year but his lack of defensive skills and pressure exposed him when he got a go at AFL. In a way he is a smaller version of Kosi and most backmen relish the thought of running off him to launch a counter attack.

As an insurance policy he may be worth the risk, but it would have to be our last pick in the draft.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

busso mick wrote:He kicked a few bags at WAFL level this year but his lack of defensive skills and pressure exposed him when he got a go at AFL. In a way he is a smaller version of Kosi and most backmen relish the thought of running off him to launch a counter attack.

As an insurance policy he may be worth the risk, but it would have to be our last pick in the draft.
I wouldn't be placing too much weight on WAFL form. Andrew Krakour won the Sandover Medal yet couldn't get a kick in the WAFL v VFL game !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Can't he be a mature age rookie? Or is that only for guys never listed at an AFL club?

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Worth a late pick...?

busso mick wrote:He kicked a few bags at WAFL level this year but his lack of defensive skills and pressure exposed him when he got a go at AFL. In a way he is a smaller version of Kosi and most backmen relish the thought of running off him to launch a counter attack.

He used to play in the midfield for Freo so surely he is a more mobile version up forward than Kosi. Forward pressure IMO is all about attitude - I would gamble that RL can change that approach !

Definitely worth a late pick - not one of first two round picks...

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Worth a late pick...?

WinnersOnly wrote:

He used to play in the midfield for Freo so surely he is a more mobile version up forward than Kosi. Forward pressure IMO is all about attitude - I would gamble that RL can change that approach !

Luckily we didnt pick up another hack in the same years we drafted Sam Fisher and Jimmy Gwilt. I would rather try and talk Matthew Lloyd into playing than a person who hasnt done anything in 6 years of AFL footy.

busso mick
Club Player

WinnersOnly wrote:

I think you are mixing up Murphy with another player. As I recall he has only ever played in the forward line for his goalkicking ability. He is 192cm & 95kg and definitely not quick enough for midfield.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote: talk Matthew Lloyd into playing
Is this fact??... So we're into Matthew Lloyd now?!!...

What pick are we willing to give up, and who will he put pressure on??...

Possibly that 3rd tall forward we've been waiting for...

Does he have leadership group potential??...

Brisvegas saint
Club Player

Hey as Plugger suggests, I reckon Lloydy could still do a job.

rexy
SS Life Member

Taking Murphy would be as dumb as replacing the captain IMO.

We have had a go at topping up, we must blood the youth we have and recruit more for the future.

Maybe this year?