Dissappointed we didn't have a crack at Walker

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:
I'm getting realy tired of reading these 'cheap pot shots' at our staff by posaters who have littel or no real knowledge but feel experienced enough to pass judgment on people whose liveliehood depends on them making correct decisions.

I have no objection to posters having a different view of things, but to make categorical staements that we did/didn't do this/that is just ridiculous.

And as for the 'harry hindsights' that seem to have prospered on here (and I don't include B4e in this category - he's been banging on about that selection almost since it was made).
Just for once I'd like thses internet heroes to post:-
who they'd pick before the draft,
what knowledge they have as to the type of players we're looking for,
their experience/knowledge in the field of recruiting AFL players.

Most of the critical posts they produce do very little to stimulate productive reasonable debate adn seem designed to do nothing more than promote their own egos adn opinions.

And before anybody jumps up and down, I'm speaking in general terms rather than pointing at specific posters.
I generally agree with you on most things and your posts always are rational, measured and for the most part IMHO right on the money, but to categorically just follow whoever is in charge regardless is a recipe for disaster!

See the point I made in my previous post relating to the 2008 AGM and the clash jumper scenario!

On recruiting matters, while I have my opinions from time to time on certain players, I'd be the first to admit they are uninformed and I'm not privy to the important information that those who are employed to make such decisions have at their disposal!

I still shake my head in disbelief that we didn't take Jack Riewoldt and yes my opinion was based on nothing more than intuitive feel, that he's Nick's cousin and was rated as a first round draft pick!

Anyway this is a forum for people's opinion's and as we know opinion's are like arseholes and there's a lot of opinions out there!

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
Saints94
SS Life Member

Eastern wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:AW:

* injury prone (and most likely why not other club took im as he had medicals with other clubs)

* not that gooda kick

That is two strikes....
Does coming from Echuca count as the 3rd :wink: !!
Whats wrong with Echuca?

stinger
Saintsational Legend

yeah...well...if i was the guy doing the picking...we would have judd, brad green, riolli and jack running around in the old red white and black......instead we took ball, beetham, big mac and armmo....can't remember the order i was banking on in the big draft.....i think i wanted juddy or hodgy first....but we all thought we would get two of ball, hodge and judd.....the others i picked on here before the draft......

not real hard mm....

would have made a big difference to gf 1
Last edited by stinger on Thu 14 Oct 2010 3:47pm, edited 1 time in total.

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote: And BTW, we did play the 2009 GF in our H&A jumper - so Westaway was accurate.

You probalbgy need to revisit the question at this year's AGM, now that we've played in teh alternate jumper.
Incorrect MM,

I ( nostradamus ) said in 2008, if we play Collingwood in a Grand Final in the next few years we might be forced to wear our clash jumper and it is important to have this jumper as close to our home jumper as possible!

Greg Westaway responded with , "we will wear our Home Jumper in a Grand Final"!

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote:
Mr Magic wrote: And BTW, we did play the 2009 GF in our H&A jumper - so Westaway was accurate.

You probalbgy need to revisit the question at this year's AGM, now that we've played in teh alternate jumper.
Incorrect MM,

I ( nostradamus ) said in 2008, if we play Collingwood in a Grand Final in the next few years we might be forced to wear our clash jumper and it is important to have this jumper as close to our home jumper as possible!

Greg Westaway responded with , "we will wear our Home Jumper in a Grand Final"!
Sorry I missed the bit about 'playing Collingwood'.

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:yeah...well...if i was the guy doing the picking...we would have judd, brad green, riolli and jack running around in the old red white and black......instead we took ball, beetham, big mac and armmo....can't remember the order i was banking on in the big draft.....i think i wanted juddy or hodgy first....but we all thought we would get two of ball, hodge and judd.....the others i picked on here before the draft......

Any one of those selections and we'd probably have at least two premierships by now!

I think it's about time, stinger and myself be appointed immediately to the recruiting team, just increase the recruiting budget and while I cannot speak directly for stinger, I'm sure we will both not be unreasonable with our required remuneration!

shmic_s
Club Player

stinger wrote:yeah...well...if i was the guy doing the picking...we would have judd, brad green, riolli and jack running around in the old red white and black......instead we took ball, beetham, big mac and armmo....can't remember the order i was banking on in the big draft.....i think i wanted juddy or hodgy first....but we all thought we would get two of ball, hodge and judd.....the others i picked on here before the draft......

not real hard mm....

our ruck stocks would be looking a bit thin if that was the case. big mac is a very important part of this team going forward imo.

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

shmic_s wrote:

not real hard mm....

our ruck stocks would be looking a bit thin if that was the case. big mac is a very important part of this team going forward imo.
Who cares we'd probably have a premiership already!

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:
I'm getting realy tired of reading these 'cheap pot shots' at our staff by posaters who have littel or no real knowledge but feel experienced enough to pass judgment on people whose liveliehood depends on them making correct decisions.

I have no objection to posters having a different view of things, but to make categorical staements that we did/didn't do this/that is just ridiculous.

And as for the 'harry hindsights' that seem to have prospered on here (and I don't include B4e in this category - he's been banging on about that selection almost since it was made).

Most of the critical posts they produce do very little to stimulate productive reasonable debate adn seem designed to do nothing more than promote their own egos adn opinions.

And before anybody jumps up and down, I'm speaking in general terms rather than pointing at specific posters.
I generally agree with you on most things and your posts always are rational, measured and for the most part IMHO right on the money, but to categorically just follow whoever is in charge regardless is a recipe for disaster!

See the point I made in my previous post relating to the 2008 AGM and the clash jumper scenario!

On recruiting matters, while I have my opinions from time to time on certain players, I'd be the first to admit they are uninformed and I'm not privy to the important information that those who are employed to make such decisions have at their disposal!

I still shake my head in disbelief that we didn't take Jack Riewoldt and yes my opinion was based on nothing more than intuitive feel, that he's Nick's cousin and was rated as a first round draft pick!

Anyway this is a forum for people's opinion's and as we know opinion's are like arseholes and there's a lot of opinions out there!
And generally I agree with what you've written here.

I just long for discussion that is base on informed opinion rather than, in some cases, opinion based on nothing more than an over-inflated opinion of one's importance.

To get teh real answer as to why we took Armo we'd need to know what the directions given to Bevo were at the time?

'Take the best Mid'
'Take the best avaialable'

might well explain one's choice over another.

And I always laugh about the Tambling/Franklin fiasco.

Everybody conveniently forgets/neglects that Hawthorn chose Roughead over Franklin. How many Clubs passed on Franklin before Hawthorn eventually took him?

Every Club's supporters can, in hindsight, pick out mistaken picks.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote:

Any one of those selections and we'd probably have at least two premierships by now!

I think it's about time, stinger and myself be appointed immediately to the recruiting team, just increase the recruiting budget and while I cannot speak directly for stinger, I'm sure we will both not be unreasonable with our required remuneration!

...you are on....i'd do it for nothing.... :wink: :lol:

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:
barks4eva wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:

I just long for discussion that is base on informed opinion rather than, in some cases, opinion based on nothing more than an over-inflated opinion of one's importance.

To get teh real answer as to why we took Armo we'd need to know what the directions given to Bevo were at the time?

'Take the best Mid'

Everybody conveniently forgets/neglects that Hawthorn chose Roughead over Franklin. How many Clubs passed on Franklin before Hawthorn eventually took him?

to me it was simple....we were all wishing we could clone roo.....we got the opportunity but blew it....jack's dad was a saint's listed player.....all the family are good at most sports.......but then i know a guy who grew up with them in tassie..so i had inside info.......you reckon that the saints didn't???....if we get the opportunity to draft jack's younger brother and pass again...i will really be pissed off......

oh...p.s. mm......we told young swallow we would draft him the year before the roos got him...then reneged on the deal....same with barlow.....in that case we redrafted fraser.......those guys are hard to defend actually.....roo and bj fell into their laps....just dumb luck...imho......
Last edited by stinger on Thu 14 Oct 2010 4:04pm, edited 1 time in total.

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:

'Take the best Mid'

Yes, of course for the most part, opinions on recruiting on here are nothing more than uninformed speculation!

I do think St Mart does his research a bit and seems to offer genuine footy knowledge on recruiting matters!

Also it should not be immediately assumed that Beveridge was responsible for all recruiting selections in the recent past as some picks/trades were taken out of his hands!

for example

Raph Clarke was solely a Grant Thomas call

Barry Brooks was Rendell and Thomas

Mark McGough was 100% a Grant Thomas call

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:

'Take the best Mid'

Yes, of course for the most part, opinions on recruiting on here are nothing more than uninformed speculation!

I do think St Mart does his research a bit and seems to offer genuine footy knowledge on recruiting matters!

Also it should not be immediately assumed that Beveridge was responsible for all recruiting selections in the recent past as some picks/trades were taken out of his hands!

for example

Raph Clarke was solely a Grant Thomas call

Barry Brooks was Rendell and Thomas

Mark McGough was 100% a Grant Thomas call
Admit this is again a made up post. You wouldnt have a clue.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:
barks4eva wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:

'Take the best Mid'

I recall the talk of Jack at the time (2006) and most of what was being said suggested he lacked a bit of pace. Really, if his surname wasn't Riewoldt how many people would have been aware of this bloke prior to the draft? I mean, most if not all of the media I read about Jack prior to the Draft focussed on his family connection first and his ability second.

People have to remember at that time we had both Roo & Kosi who had both just turned 24 years of age. Forget what you may think of Kosi now, did we really need to draft, with our first pick, a potential slow key forward at that time? As it was we took Jarryd Allen with a late pick and he was showing at least as much promise as Jack at the time he sustained his unfortunate career ending injury.

It's an interesting discussion but it is nonetheless coloured by (in no particular order) the Richmond bloke's surname, Kosi's lack of form, Armo's struggle to cement a senior spot and our failure to win a flag.
Last edited by Dr Spaceman on Thu 14 Oct 2010 4:26pm, edited 1 time in total.

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

mm, eastern, it's only par for the course that supporters will have opinions on recruiting and yes most of the criticism is generally done in hindsight, I agree!

Recruiting is the lifeblood of any football club and while it's not an exact science, the pieces in the puzzle that would have already delivered a premiership were missed by those charged with the responsibility in making these important decisions!

The example of Jack Riewoldt is a glaring one for mine!

The fact is, many so called INTERNET EXPERTS on saintsational wanted Jack Riewoldt drafted at 9, but the so called INDUSTRY PROFESSIONALS passed on him!

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:
barks4eva wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:

'Take the best Mid'

to me it was simple....we were all wishing we could clone roo.....we got the opportunity but blew it....jack's dad was a saint's listed player.....all the family are good at most sports.......but then i know a guy who grew up with them in tassie..so i had inside info.......you reckon that the saints didn't???....if we get the opportunity to draft jack's younger brother and pass again...i will really be pissed off......

oh...p.s. mm......we told young swallow we would draft him the year before the roos got him...then reneged on the deal....same with barlow.....in that case we redrafted fraser.......those guys are hard to defend actually.....roo and bj fell into their laps....just dumb luck...imho......
What you say may well be accurate stinger - I'm not objecting to those calls that are made up front.

It's the uninformed hindsight ones, years down the track that I object to.
And the seemingly almost universal acceptance around here that the good ones we get are just pure luck because everyone involved at the Club is incompetent.

I'm happy to criticize when i feel it's warranted.
What I'm not prepared to accept is criticism from people with no knowledge /experience based on their over-inflated opinion of themselves.

As for teh examples you quoted - i'm certain every CLub could bring p similar examples. It's the nature of the industry.
Re Swallow, I'll bet that when they made the offer to Swallow they didn't know that Fraser was going to come back from retirement.

As for Barlow, there were 15 other CLubs who had ample opportunity to draft him before this year - same with Silvagni.

Not excusing any decisions, just pointing out that we don't operate in a vaccuum.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

we had both barlow and silvagni in our back yard so to speak and we still did not pick either of them up.

i was very dissapointed in us not taking barlow, especially since he at least trained with us in the pre season

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Pretty much the top 10 players in the draft every year are good players and the positions change due to a variety of reasons, this trend continues into the early part of the second round.

The recruiters earn their money at the back end of the draft where the percentage of players to end their careers with over 100 games gets very thin.

The gems here are earned hard like Sam Fisher, Simon Black, Nick Maxwell and even Dane Swan. Every recruiter has a wish list and a preconception and these can change quickly on a whim if a highly rated player drifts through.

Most recruiters will pick in roughly the same order apart from the wish list, they mostly have the same info so unless the player is hidden somewhere obscure you get much the same draft order for most teams.

In hindsight you see the early signs you missed. I remember Adam Goodes absolutely tearing it up for North Ballarat in 97, he was best on ground by a mile, but for some reason he wasn't highly rated.

It would be a tough gig being responsible for a teams future.

#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

gringo wrote:Pretty much the top 10 players in the draft every year are good players and the positions change due to a variety of reasons, this trend continues into the early part of the second round.

The recruiters earn their money at the back end of the draft where the percentage of players to end their careers with over 100 games gets very thin.

The gems here are earned hard like Sam Fisher, Simon Black, Nick Maxwell and even Dane Swan. Every recruiter has a wish list and a preconception and these can change quickly on a whim if a highly rated player drifts through.

Most recruiters will pick in roughly the same order apart from the wish list, they mostly have the same info so unless the player is hidden somewhere obscure you get much the same draft order for most teams.

In hindsight you see the early signs you missed. I remember Adam Goodes absolutely tearing it up for North Ballarat in 97, he was best on ground by a mile, but for some reason he wasn't highly rated.

It would be a tough gig being responsible for a teams future.
Dude, in all seriousness, are you like a recruiter?

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
It's an interesting discussion but it is nonetheless coloured by (in no particular order) the Richmond bloke's surname, Kosi's lack of form, Armo's struggle to cement a senior spot and our failure to win a flag.
really...????....the fact that he topped the goal kicking has nothing to do with it, eh??????...i suppose noddy sheahan was sucked in by the family name when he named him no 10 in his now infamous top 50 too...

....you wouldn't have to einstein to have worked out the kid could play... watching one or too of his matches in the vfl playing for Tasmania would have done it for you....

...but then again......richmond's recruiters aren't nearly as switched on as ours now are they.???/ :roll:

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:
stinger wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:
barks4eva wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:

'Take the best Mid'

What you say may well be accurate stinger - I'm not objecting to those calls that are made up front.

It's the uninformed hindsight ones, years down the track that I object to.
And the seemingly almost universal acceptance around here that the good ones we get are just pure luck because everyone involved at the Club is incompetent.

I'm happy to criticize when i feel it's warranted.
What I'm not prepared to accept is criticism from people with no knowledge /experience based on their over-inflated opinion of themselves.

As for teh examples you quoted - i'm certain every CLub could bring p similar examples. It's the nature of the industry.
Re Swallow, I'll bet that when they made the offer to Swallow they didn't know that Fraser was going to come back from retirement.

As for Barlow, there were 15 other CLubs who had ample opportunity to draft him before this year - same with Silvagni.

Not excusing any decisions, just pointing out that we don't operate in a vaccuum.

no...fraser was instead of barlow..... :roll:

if you ask me...our recruiters suck big time...and have for a few years.....

stinger
Saintsational Legend

saintly wrote:we had both barlow and silvagni in our back yard so to speak and we still did not pick either of them up.

i was very dissapointed in us not taking barlow, especially since he at least trained with us in the pre season

we opted to redraft fraser gehrig instead....brilliant decision....i don't think....

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
saintly wrote:we had both barlow and silvagni in our back yard so to speak and we still did not pick either of them up.

we opted to redraft fraser gehrig instead....brilliant decision....i don't think....
And did you post that at the time. I dont think so.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

i wanted the saints to draft andrew carrazzo when i first saw him running around in the under 18s...was told by people on here and down at the club that he was too slow and not skillful enough to play afl football......i also was plugging for the club to draft david rohdan after we won the first of his two morrish medals...was told he was too small to play afl.......sure....what would i know....?

...some pple do have a bit of a clue mm......you usually get that after watching guys play the game for six months of the year....especially after 60 odd years of doing that.....b4e's younger..but the same applies.....

stinger
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
stinger wrote:

And did you post that at the time. I dont think so.

no i didn't...i hadn't seen barlow play.....thought redrafting fraser was a gamble though...didn't you albert?????