Draw in GF I now down the memory hole....

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Draw in GF I now down the memory hole....

Ok, I'm setting myself up here for some criticism but it seems the clear victory in GF II means the draw is now well and truly forgotten by many filth fans.

Had one filth supporter say to me on Friday night that his team were by far the superior team of the year. He then went on to say how our window had now closed and that they will be up for the next four years and that we needed to get rid of Milne and Kosi who never perform in big games. He prefaced this by saying that he didn't mean to rub it in! Tossa! I reminded him in no uncertain terms about the draw and that he should stick to talking about his own team and that he was being a very poor winner.

I overheard another conversation in a lift at work yesterday where this dorky guy was talking about how dominant the Pies were in 2010 and had smashed all and sundry. I felt like turning around and reminding him of the drawn GF and that they were lucky not to lose.

Don't get me wrong, the filth were the best team of 2010 and deserved their flag in the end but there was a drawn GF and there was an element of luck there which they seem to be forgetting. It looks like the drawn GF is now down the memory hole with a lot of filth fans.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
chook23
Saintsational Legend

The draw will virtually be forgotten.

BJ mark the same...the comeback etc

Premiers go all the spoils.

That is what hurts so much.

saint4life
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

chook23 wrote:The draw will virtually be forgotten.

BJ mark the same...the comeback etc

Premiers go all the spoils.

That is what hurts so much.
I know Chook mate. I know. It very f---ked.

St Lenny
Club Player

Winners are grinners :cry:

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

I was there. I will never forget it.

I will also swear until I'm blue in the face that two sad bounces of the ball were all it took for the Pies to get over the line.

Sometimes you need luck.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I still maintain cakewalks generally don't take two weeks

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:I still maintain cakewalks generally don't take two weeks
What the hell is a "cakewalk" anyway! :?

Jewellzy
Club Player

The thing that irks me the most about the draw, was the Cloke goal to put the Pies up by a point.

BJ was in prime position to take the match-saving mark. Dawes was heading towards BJ ready to make a contest. BJ braces for the contact and Dawes goes down like a weak POS. Shaw comes over the top, ball spills to Dawes who is still on his ass. Handball to Cloke and the rest was history.

That ball could've spilled anywhere. But it went straight to a bloke who was out-muscled and out of the contest. Makes me angry everytime I think about it.

doggerel
Club Player

Dr Spaceman wrote:
Apparently some sort of dance done by black african americans during slavery times, with the best dancer awarded a cake as a prize.

St Kilda Social Club member since 1996
suss
Club Player

Jewellzy wrote:The thing that irks me the most about the draw, was the Cloke goal to put the Pies up by a point.

BJ was in prime position to take the match-saving mark. Dawes was heading towards BJ ready to make a contest. BJ braces for the contact and Dawes goes down like a weak POS. Shaw comes over the top, ball spills to Dawes who is still on his ass. Handball to Cloke and the rest was history.

That ball could've spilled anywhere. But it went straight to a bloke who was out-muscled and out of the contest. Makes me angry everytime I think about it.
Yeah, that particular goal burns me too. If you look at each goal in context, this was a cheapie. There were a couple of chances to kill the contest as it came down the ground but we let them get a kick to the goal square too easily. In hindsight, maybe BJ should've punched it through, maybe there should have been a third man up - but whatever happened, I can't help but feel that this was the one that cost us a premiership.

bozza1980
Club Player

Re: Draw in GF I now down the memory hole....

SaintPav wrote:Ok, I'm setting myself up here for some criticism but it seems the clear victory in GF II means the draw is now well and truly forgotten by many filth fans.

Had one filth supporter say to me on Friday night that his team were by far the superior team of the year. He then went on to say how our window had now closed and that they will be up for the next four years and that we needed to get rid of Milne and Kosi who never perform in big games. He prefaced this by saying that he didn't mean to rub it in! Tossa! I reminded him in no uncertain terms about the draw and that he should stick to talking about his own team and that he was being a very poor winner.

I overheard another conversation in a lift at work yesterday where this dorky guy was talking about how dominant the Pies were in 2010 and had smashed all and sundry. I felt like turning around and reminding him of the drawn GF and that they were lucky not to lose.

Don't get me wrong, the filth were the best team of 2010 and deserved their flag in the end but there was a drawn GF and there was an element of luck there which they seem to be forgetting. It looks like the drawn GF is now down the memory hole with a lot of filth fans.
Unfortunately, winners are grinners and losers can please themselves.

At the end of the day when people think back to 2010 the ease with which we were despatched in the replay overrides the memory for some that there was a drawn GF and that by extension we were pretty close to claiming the ultimate prize.

As for our window being shut, this has been said and written every year since 2006. We have played in 6 of the last 7 finals series, 5 of the last 7 prelim finals and were leading in time on of the last quarter in the past two seasons GF.

We are close, and people can write us off at their peril, we will be their again when the whips are cracking come the business end of next year.
Last edited by bozza1980 on Tue 12 Oct 2010 1:37pm, edited 1 time in total.

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friends.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

Re: Draw in GF I now down the memory hole....

SaintPav wrote:Ok, I'm setting myself up here for some criticism but it seems the clear victory in GF II means the draw is now well and truly forgotten by many filth fans.

from memory we played the filth swine 5 times in 2010.....for an even score.....two wins each plus a draw....sure..one win was in the pre-season cup...but a win is a win is a win..... :wink: pity is we lost the only one to really count....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

No doubt in my mind that the drawn GF video in most filth supporters collections will go missing! they were GAWN if the game went another minute - it took them two attempts to win it!

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

We were lucky to draw the first GF.

Don't kid yourself children, the Pies should've had us stitched up at half time.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:We were lucky to draw the first GF.

Don't kid yourself children, the Pies should've had us stitched up at half time.
What you say is correct saintspremiers.

However that's the point. They should have had us stitched up at half time. They nonetheless had a very good lead. They were the best team of 2010 and had everything to play for. And yet there almost blew it.

So they were nonetheless "lucky".

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

The game goes for four quarters. They were lucky not to have lost it in the dying stages. Don't you kid yourself.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:

However that's the point. They should have had us stitched up at half time. They nonetheless had a very good lead. They were the best team of 2010 and had everything to play for. And yet there almost blew it.

Well I beg to differ.
I also wsa at the game and I remember it differently

I recal that they pounded us early in the first anf that we gradually worked our way back into the game at quarter time.
I recall them doing all teh attacking in teh second quarter adn us 'absorbing the pressure' as much as possible to be 24 points down at Half Time.
I recall us doing most of the attacking in teh third quarter adn reducing the margin.
I recall us actually hitting the front late in teh last quarter.

It all depends on your perspective.
I would humbly suggest that most people (Filth included) think we would have won the game if extra time had been played.
If we were so comprehensively outplayed, why would that be?

Maybe someone should tell Muhammed Ali that he was 'lucky' to win the 'Rumble in the Jungle' against George Foreman.
Afterall, Foreman did all the attacking and Ali just lay against the ropes absorbing the blows until Foreman got tired.
Surely that's a win for Foreman? :roll:

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

We won 2/12 quarters and we lost it in the second. Should of. Could of. We should have won last year too but we didn't.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Yep..coulda, might have, shoulda..but in the end..didn't.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

ill remember the draw

i have the black tshirt they released....cheers to maxstar for that!

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:

Well I beg to differ.

I recal that they pounded us early in the first anf that we gradually worked our way back into the game at quarter time.
I recall them doing all teh attacking in teh second quarter adn us 'absorbing the pressure' as much as possible to be 24 points down at Half Time.
I recall us doing most of the attacking in teh third quarter adn reducing the margin.

I would humbly suggest that most people (Filth included) think we would have won the game if extra time had been played.

Maybe someone should tell Muhammed Ali that he was 'lucky' to win the 'Rumble in the Jungle' against George Foreman.
Afterall, Foreman did all the attacking and Ali just lay against the ropes absorbing the blows until Foreman got tired.
We were down by a goal at qr time. They surged. We rallied. We won double the clearances in the first qr too. People seem to forget that.

Second qr was abysmal by us. They were red hot.

Second half we pretty much dominated (in as much as you can say that in a close struggle), particularly the third qr where we kicked 3.3 to 0.5.

All in all a very even contest decided in the end by a couple of rogue bounces - Roo's not dribbling through, Haye's kick not sitting up for Milne - and a fall of the ball so ridiculously fortuitous (when Dawes was bumped out of the contest easily by BJ only for the ball to bobble into his hands while he was on the ground and he offloads to Cloke for a goal) that thinking about it makes me wanna puke.

We were VERY UNLUCKY not to win. They were VERY LUCKY to leave with a draw.

It's generous to afford Collingwood an even share of the game if you think about the game's ebbs and flows.

Those are the facts of the matter.

BUT kudos to the Pies for backing up a week later. Kudos for them winning the thing. Even so, completely disingenuous to suggest luck played no part.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
markp
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
It's what happens after a few days to someone if they don't bother to pull down their trousers to relieve themselves (or bathe) for a few days.

Most common among filth supporters.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:

Well I beg to differ.

We were down by a goal at qr time. They surged. We rallied. We won double the clearances in the first qr too. People seem to forget that.

Second half we pretty much dominated (in as much as you can say that in a close struggle), particularly the third qr where we kicked 3.3 to 0.5.

All in all a very even contest decided in the end by a couple of rogue bounces - Roo's not dribbling through, Haye's kick not sitting up for Milne - and a fall of the ball so ridiculously fortuitous (when Dawes was bumped out of the contest easily by BJ only for the ball to bobble into his hands while he was on the ground and he offloads to Cloke for a goal) that thinking about it makes me wanna puke.

It's generous to afford Collingwood an even share of the game if you think about the game's ebbs and flows.

BUT kudos to the Pies for backing up a week later. Kudos for them winning the thing. Even so, completely disingenuous to suggest luck played no part.

WTF?

This is one of the most biased posts on the forum!

We were VERY UNLUCKY not win my arse!

If we were so good, why did we let the ball go forward into the Pies half for them to score TWICE after BJ put us a goal up?

In nearly every case, when we are 6 points up with 5 minutes to go, we control and WIN a game of footy.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
Thinline wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:

Well I beg to differ.

WTF?

This is one of the most biased posts on the forum!

We were VERY UNLUCKY not win my arse!

If we were so good, why did we let the ball go forward into the Pies half for them to score TWICE after BJ put us a goal up?

In nearly every case, when we are 6 points up with 5 minutes to go, we control and WIN a game of footy.
Probably refering to a bounce or two that couldn't go our way but I guess you're right. They had it all over us an we were so lucky to draw and the result the following week confirmed in your own mind were we are at and were we deserve to be.

Winmarvellous
Club Player

The draw is what it is. A good game with no real relevance anymore. Collingwood backed up and smashed us the following week. We folded meekly. The fact we played to a standstill the week before is pretty much irrelevant. As thy love to say during the season "One week at a time". We were up for one, not the next when it counted even more.